PDA

View Full Version : How often do you see Warhammer show up in random media?

SgtTaters
29-03-2011, 11:28
TV shows, news articles, interviews, etc.

I was reading a Rolling Stones article on soldiers killing civilians in Afghanistan, and this quip popped up

The members of Bravo Company began to talk incessantly about killing Afghans as they went about their daily chores, got stoned or relaxed over a game of Warhammer.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-kill-team-20110327?page=4

Ah yes, Warhammer (I can only assume it was 40k), right behind getting stoned, the favorite activity of xenophobic, sociopathic soldiers in a warzone...

Anyone else find Warhammer quips like this lately? Hopefully one not so grim darkening.

Cleal Baros
29-03-2011, 13:01
My favourite reference is in Peep Show (fantastic British sitcom for those elsewhere).
Episode 2, Season 6 Mark's phone rings and he comes out with the line...

"I'm cancelling. Cancelling out of shame. Like my subscription to White Dwarf!"

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2lO5M2xJs&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsear ch_query%3Dpeep%2Bshow%2Bseries%2B6%26aq%3D1&has_verified=1) 12.50min

Frankly
29-03-2011, 13:06
Never, WoW all the time, but not GW.

Achaylus72
29-03-2011, 13:06
We have a tv show called the Collectors on the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and they did a highlight section on a collector of Warhammer, this particualr dude has been collectin WHFB WH40K and LoTR since it came out and has every figure ever released in Australia.

Also we have a show called Good Games again on the ABC it talks about the latest consul games and they have on several times featured Warhammer DOW and other Warhammer games

Born Again
29-03-2011, 13:22
There was also a show on here in Australia called Beauty & the Geek, basically a dating / reality show that paired popular (sometimes) attractive girls with geeky guys. One of the guys in one season mentioned he played Warhammer, though his knowledge seemed to be limited and was a general embarrassment to those of us who play and are normal.

I can't be certain, it would require a lot of checking through the DVD's, but I think I may have seen some Warhammer, or at least similarly scaled games miniatures, in The Big Bang Theory. They didn't factor in to the plot at all, I just noticed them on a shelf in the background, though my memory is hazy.

ehlijen
29-03-2011, 13:36
Beauty and the Geek is sadly still running as far as I know and is filled to the brim with people specifically chosen to be be painfully emberassing stereotype fulfillments :(

Gingerwerewolf
29-03-2011, 14:25
The Last Series of Red Dwarf had a shop owner (the one who sells them the Star Bug car) telling his mate to stop playing Warhammer 40k for a bit to answer some questions about Red Dwarf.

most of the Stuff in the UK is usually taking the mick out of Games Workshop / the Hobby as its still got a pretty big Geek / Nerd Reputation

T10
29-03-2011, 14:48
At the end of the "Enemy of the State" movie, Will Smith's character's kid appears to be reading White Dwarf.

I say "appears to be" because the only thing I remember from that movie was thinking to myself: "Cool! White Dwarf!" I never saw the movie again.

-T10

Myrmidon616
29-03-2011, 14:55
Dara O'Briain (the Irish comedian) mentioned Space Marines in one of his stand-ups. However, he could have just been referencing a mere puny mortal who likes hiding behind chest high cover, not a member of the Adeptus Astartes.

Born Again
29-03-2011, 15:01
At the end of the "Enemy of the State" movie, Will Smith's character's kid appears to be reading White Dwarf.

I say "appears to be" because the only thing I remember from that movie was thinking to myself: "Cool! White Dwarf!" I never saw the movie again.

-T10

I can't remember with certainty either, but I have heard this mentioned before and was told it was because Will Smith plays, or at least has an interest in things if not an active player.

Gingerwerewolf
29-03-2011, 15:09
If we are going for Famous People playing, I know that Robin Williams and his son play because he bought stuff from the shop in the Central London Plaza Centre Store.

Add to him Jimmy "Crockodile Shoes" Nail and his son who went into the Origional Hammersmith Store

I know those for a fact as I was Serving at the time

self biased
29-03-2011, 15:22
Usually, when Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation mentions space marines, a figure of a gw Marine captain sometimes appears.

shadowhawk2008
29-03-2011, 15:39
Gary Oldman and his sons play :) the sons more so than Mr. Oldman himself as far as I know. His kids are a decent bunch, used to run into them sometimes when I was going to the Glendale Galleria GW, quite passionate about the game. Though Mr. Oldman did prefer a little anonymity but it is hard to ignore him when he came in as I had recently been going over the Batman movies :D

Today I saw a picture of a kid's room in an interior deco magazine, with some Ultramarines and Necrons on the table.

MarcoSkoll
29-03-2011, 15:58
I remember someone pointing out a reference in Mongrels, when one of the characters is in the basement of the local pub trying to blow it up on Nov 5th:

"Guy Fawkes night isn't about blowing yourself up for political reasons!"
"Ah, but when I die, I will be taken to a magical fantasy world filled with virgins!"
"You mean Games Workshop?"
"Yeah, I guess. Want me to pick you up some little Ork figurines??"

shadowhawk2008
29-03-2011, 15:59
I remember someone pointing out a reference in Mongrels, when one of the characters is in the basement of the local pub trying to blow it up on Nov 5th:

"Guy Fawkes night isn't about blowing yourself up for political reasons!"
"Ah, but when I die, I will be taken to a magical fantasy world filled with virgins!"
"You mean Games Workshop?"
"Yeah, I guess. Want me to pick you up some little Ork figurines??"

That's a good one :)

huitzilopochtli
29-03-2011, 16:03
Dara O'Briain (the Irish comedian) mentioned Space Marines in one of his stand-ups. However, he could have just been referencing a mere puny mortal who likes hiding behind chest high cover, not a member of the Adeptus Astartes.

Which one, do you know?

nightgant98c
29-03-2011, 17:56

-T10

I have it on dvd, and have seen it fairly recently. You can't really see the front cover, but the back is advertising Golden Daemon. I don't now if any other magazines would have that, so it is probably White Dwarf.

spekkiebig
29-03-2011, 18:00
In MTV's "The Rise Of..." episode featuring Marilyn Manson there is a reference (with some pictures of his gaming table etc.) of him playing WH40K when he was a young chap.

Lowmans
29-03-2011, 18:07
A couple of guys from My Chemical Romance play.

blue penguin
29-03-2011, 18:24
there was a show Ned's declassified something something guide, don't remember the title all that well, on one of the episodes at the end there's a shot of like a gaming club or something and there is a table with a castle and a bunch of miniatures including either a bloodthirster or an orc wyrm, don't remember which one

Myrmidon616
29-03-2011, 18:50
Which one, do you know?

I think it might have been an episode of 'Live at the Apollo' with him hosting. He talked about Gears of War on Gameswipe so he could have just meant generic space marines.

riotknight
29-03-2011, 19:50
You guys are forgetting Vin Diesel. huge gamer. He actually bought some stuff at the Eaton Centre store in Toronto while filming something. He also asked the manager if he would close the store for an hour or two so he could get a game in. Sadly the mall and manager could or would not oblige. Why I have no idea, but that manager was transferred to mail order shortly afterwards.

Sinnertje
29-03-2011, 19:55
Sadly the mall and manager could or would not oblige. Why I have no idea, but ...

Why sadly? Just because that Diesel fella makes movies, does not give him an excuse to expect a store to close down just so he can get a game.

Anyway, OT, except from the already mentioned episode of Red Dwarf... never ever.
Oh wait, that tv tropes site, I saw warhammer mentioned there a couple of times.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
29-03-2011, 20:01
My wife and I love the show Hoarders. There's an episode from the second season where a young man categorizes himself as a "serial collector," and mentions that he has a bunch of Warhammer stuff. The camera shows some 40K figures, I couldn't really make them out because they were so horribly painted. My wife was quick to make the connection between Warhammer and hoarding.

Bob Arctor
29-03-2011, 20:08
I once saw a game of 40k being used to demonstrate how the human immune system works on Newsnight (a very serious late-night daily news show for those of you outside the UK).:wtf:

They do occaisionally have an odd way of presenting things on that show.

I also saw a film where a kid asked for "Warhammers" for his birthday. Can't remember what the film was though but it was a pretty unremarkable drama and I switched over shortly afterwards.

Myrmidon616
29-03-2011, 20:10
I once saw a game of 40k being used to demonstrate how the human immune system works on Newsnight (a very serious late-night daily news show for those of you outside the UK).:wtf:

Bet Paxman loved that :D

MOMUS
29-03-2011, 20:32
The before mentioned enemy of the state, skip to 6.43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVUUq1hU3QU

Also i remember a show in the UK called 'bernards watch', in one episode he was playing a game of WHFB.

Another show 'changing rooms' (original series i think) with carol voderman placing a leman russ back on a shelf after redecorating, then she played the guitar to the end credits.

Why sadly? Just because that Diesel fella makes movies, does not give him an excuse to expect a store to close down just so he can get a game.

If i owned a games store i would gladly close for an hour to let Vin play a game, the publicity would be great.

shadowhawk2008
29-03-2011, 20:38
Games Day/Golden Daemon for sure there :)

LonelyPath
29-03-2011, 20:49
I remember 3 different tv commercials for WD over the years and they did a ad run for Battlegames of Middle Earth when that magazine came out (DeAgostini did the ads, but they were the GW rules and models).

TSR (art least the UK branch) would sometimes advertise GW back in the day, which made sense since GW was the official UK distributor for TSR until TS opened their own offices in Cambridge.

Some British soap opera once had a clip featuring GW things years ago, not sure which soap though (since I'm not a fan and they're all the same to me, lol).

Other than those I just remember ones already mentioned above.

BigRob
29-03-2011, 21:41
Neighbours featured some warhammer based mockery of Zeke Kinksy back when his character was introduced (including a model of the Imperial Captain on Pegasus that his sister was holding).

Grange Hill featured some warhammer based mockery during some sixth formers going over thier innocent and childish pasts.

Peep show remains the master of win (see the episode involving LRP as well, as a LRPer myself, I laughed very hard).

riotknight
29-03-2011, 21:46

Anyway, OT, except from the already mentioned episode of Red Dwarf... never ever.
Oh wait, that tv tropes site, I saw warhammer mentioned there a couple of times.

Well, mainly because at the time, it was the launch of Canadian white Dwarf, and the offices for it were literally 45 minutes away. It would have taken maybe an hour to have a photographer and writer come down and do up the battle report. More than worth closing the store for a few hours.

All he wanted to do was play a game without a horde of people swarming him, (which this was at the height of his popularity) more than reasonable request for someone whop just wanted to rock some Blood Angels.

It's not like he walked in, and yelled "IM FAMOUS DO THIS FOR ME BECAUSE I'M FAMOUS", he merely asked nicely, and when they said no, he bought his assault marines and left (with his small entourage.)

LokkoRex
29-03-2011, 22:01
last year i was watching the news, and they had a report on helping kids with their homework, and they showed film from a kids room, showcasing a crisis suit box and a devilfish, i think.

Rolf
29-03-2011, 22:11
There was a bit in Private Eye (british satrie magazine) a few years back about finding time to paint an ork army

Tomalock
29-03-2011, 22:19
It was in a Saturday Night Live Skit of the gameshow Deal or No Deal, featuring Steve Carell. The reference is around 4:30.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/deal_or_no_deal/1056590

bocaj
29-03-2011, 22:21
Well I got nothing :( but I have noticed loads of DOW2 ads on youtube and rooster teeth (the people who did RvB it's funny check it out) which basically advertise warhammer via DOW

dantheogre
29-03-2011, 22:31
There was a one of documentary on TV here (UK) Britain's youngest boarders. Basically very young kids at boarding school. A couple of them were painting space marines in it.

Achaylus72
29-03-2011, 22:44
A commercial for BCF (Boating, Camping and Fishing) has Josh a typical nerdy kid playing computer games and in the opening sequence he (Josh) is playing his game but on top of his computer are a couple of Warhammer Fantasy Dwarf models from the Battle for Skull Pass set.

pingo
29-03-2011, 22:47
An episode of the UK detective drama Lewis featured a kid who was obsessed with miniatures. No brands were mentioned, but they were GW models.

He had a whole outbuilding/garage dedicated to his hobby.

cosy
29-03-2011, 23:17
A couple of years ago, there was a teenager who was walking in Antwerp and started killing dark skinned people (even baby's). When it came in the news, they said that he played Warhammer and showed a picture of a black templar fighting against a chaos cultist.
So they were kinda putting the fault at GW (and Marylin Manson amongst other things).
Hower, Belgium is not the US, people didn't went all crazy about it like the media (except my mother, she said "see where you go with that stuff" :-D )

No offense intented btw, Americans are a bit excentric for us Belgians, but it's a wonderful country!

'IllBillyOrk
29-03-2011, 23:30
^ yea im glad the US has not had ne freaky media blow ups on Warhammer. I hate the media in the good ol' US, i call it media cuz more often then not it aint news. G4 is a cable network dedicated to games computers and other "nerd" stuff. They had a bit on there about 40k when 5th ed roled out

Myrmidon616
29-03-2011, 23:38
An episode of the UK detective drama Lewis featured a kid who was obsessed with miniatures. No brands were mentioned, but they were GW models.

I remember that. I think they just took a load of 'toy soldiers' and stuck 'em in.

A month or so ago there was a Panorama documentary (a UK investigative documentary thing) on teenagers heavily addicted to online gaming and one of them had WD posters all over his walls. I sat there thinking 'I have that on my wall as well'.

jamjam
29-03-2011, 23:42
Years ago I saw a story on itv new (British news program) and there was this kid playing with lotr high elves, it was around the same time that lotr magazine came out so I wouldent be totally surprised if that were he got them from.
Anyone know any other famous gamers?

LonelyPath
30-03-2011, 00:00
Brian May (guitarist from Queen) and his kids used to play Warhammer many years ago.

Abbo
30-03-2011, 00:05
on the bbc show possibly exchange, i remember Games workshop was featured because they had supplied a land raider that was major botched. GW resulted in giving £50 worth of vouchers and apologized, i think im remembering the correct show name

ewar
30-03-2011, 00:53
Did anyone used to listen to the Alex Zane breakfast show on Xfm in the London area? Must be a couple of year's ago now.

He used to mention his eldar army all the time and make jokes about how tragic he was for playing with toy soldiers. Was pretty funny.

Myrmidon616
30-03-2011, 01:40
John Hurt mentioned his son played it in the interview videos for the Ultramarines movie

-Loki-
30-03-2011, 01:49
There was also a show on here in Australia called Beauty & the Geek, basically a dating / reality show that paired popular (sometimes) attractive girls with geeky guys. One of the guys in one season mentioned he played Warhammer, though his knowledge seemed to be limited and was a general embarrassment to those of us who play and are normal.

I remember that. My fiancee and I were watching it. She started cackling when he said he played Warhammer and called me a nerd. I get this regularly when I do anything with my 40k stuff though.

Eldartank
30-03-2011, 04:06
I remember one episode of the "Highlander" TV Series had a scene where a Games Workshop store was clearly visible in the background.

BobtheInquisitor
30-03-2011, 05:01
In the Percy Jackson novels, there is one kid (a son of Hades) who is obsessed with a miniatures and card game called "Mythomagic". From the descriptions, it's pretty clear that Riardon just combined Magic: The Gathering and Warhammer. To me, it feels as though he has some familiarity with both games; maybe his children play.

Sekhmet
30-03-2011, 05:36

-T10

Dang, was going to post that. I remember that clearly because I had the issue he was reading so I recognized the front and back cover.

I remember one episode of the "Highlander" TV Series had a scene where a Games Workshop store was clearly visible in the background.

And this. In that episode, they mention that the old establishment that was in the spot of the GW store was closed and taken over by a bunch of geeks.

Freakiq
30-03-2011, 06:24
There was a documentary on obesity in the UK a few years back that had an enormously fat kid sitting in his bed painting a Delphan Gruss Inquisitor-scale model.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
30-03-2011, 06:35

Thats it! I quit! :p

Born Again
30-03-2011, 06:46
In MTV's "The Rise Of..." episode featuring Marilyn Manson there is a reference (with some pictures of his gaming table etc.) of him playing WH40K when he was a young chap.

Really? Do you know of anywhere I can see this streaming online? As a big Marilyn Manson fan would be pretty interested in this, but have never heard it before. I know he played D&D when he was young, but as far as I know he'd developed, ah... other interests by the time 40k was first released.

I also saw a film where a kid asked for "Warhammers" for his birthday. Can't remember what the film was though but it was a pretty unremarkable drama and I switched over shortly afterwards.

*Facepalm*. Hearing people refer to models as "Warhammers" is an absolute hate of mine.

Well, mainly because at the time, it was the launch of Canadian white Dwarf, and the offices for it were literally 45 minutes away. It would have taken maybe an hour to have a photographer and writer come down and do up the battle report. More than worth closing the store for a few hours.

All he wanted to do was play a game without a horde of people swarming him, (which this was at the height of his popularity) more than reasonable request for someone whop just wanted to rock some Blood Angels.

It's not like he walked in, and yelled "IM FAMOUS DO THIS FOR ME BECAUSE I'M FAMOUS", he merely asked nicely, and when they said no, he bought his assault marines and left (with his small entourage.)

I guess Vin Diesel plays Space Marines because they're the army he relates to the most. :p

A commercial for BCF (Boating, Camping and Fishing) has Josh a typical nerdy kid playing computer games and in the opening sequence he (Josh) is playing his game but on top of his computer are a couple of Warhammer Fantasy Dwarf models from the Battle for Skull Pass set.

stonethecrow01
30-03-2011, 06:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-yHSaP0Dyg

does this count as a media reference to warhammer? =P

SODACANS
30-03-2011, 07:10
The people on the Ace of Cakes show on the food network made a squig cake in one episode.

Mage
30-03-2011, 07:10
There is a Kevin Spacey movie from 2000, 'Ordinary Decent Criminal'. There is a scene where he and another character are on a bridge, and in a particular shop you can see the Games Workshop behind one of them in the distance.

Hellebore
30-03-2011, 07:35
*Facepalm*. Hearing people refer to models as "Warhammers" is an absolute hate of mine.

It wishes it were as annoying as 'Legos'.:mad:

Hellebore

Dio´Ra
30-03-2011, 09:12
If anyone knows the video game Magicka then they surely didn't miss out on the Games Workshop reference :D That lovely font, red and yellow colours of Gram's Workshop...

Tarax
30-03-2011, 09:25

I remember that. There was also an episode of another detective drama (can't remember that name, it was that Scottish one), 'Gingerbread Man'. It was the contents of the 4th edition Warhammer Fantasy set. No mention of the game or models.

In the Netherlands there was a record attempt to have the biggest Warhammer-battle. It was reported by a program which made it look a little geeky (that was the general intention of the whole series, so not specifically targeted). I was in it, featuring mostly my hands while setting up my models.

owen matthew
30-03-2011, 09:48
My favourite reference is in Peep Show (fantastic British sitcom for those elsewhere).

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2lO5M2xJs&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsear ch_query%3Dpeep%2Bshow%2Bseries%2B6%26aq%3D1&has_verified=1) 12.50min

You are unspeakably bad ass for knowing that! My fiancee and I LOVE Peepshow, and I hid the instant I heard Mark say that, but she caught it as fast as I did... Great show!

Godzooky
30-03-2011, 09:51
This cracked me up when I first saw it:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/scifi-geek-only-hangs-out-with-models,9967/

jamesterjlrb
30-03-2011, 09:59
The other day i saw an advert for a show called Ace of Cakes and they were showing lots of cakes and one of them was the squig cake a la Warhammer Age of Reckoning. Was quite surprised.

EDIT: Damn already mentioned.

Also Zero Punctuation's review of Darksiders:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1404-Darksiders
Watch (about 4 mins in) and rage with me (love the rest though).

CthulhuDalek
30-03-2011, 10:10
Zack and Cody from the "Suite Life of Zack and Cody" come into my local GW and play every once in a while.

Also, I saw in a magazine that Gerard Way (the lead singer of My Chemical Romance) plays 40k (Orks I believe), so when I met him, I told him that it was inspiring to see a rock-star playing Warhammer.

RE: Warhammer Cakes... I suggested to the black shirt that they make an imperial fortress cake with candy space marines running around...

orkmiester
30-03-2011, 10:28
I seem to remember once i was watching the 'imagine' program on the BBC (don't ask me why) and at the sart that yentob bloke was talking while standing in a middle of a high street somewhere in england. Guess what was in the background- a GW store :wtf: sheer conincidence. Pity the program was about an artist, i reckon some of us could show these 'artists' a thing or two... :evilgrin:

+1 to the enemy of the state movie though, i have seen it quite a few times and didn't notice it until recently it was then a :wtf: moment. its defo white dwarf- i haven't seen the golden daemon stuff anywhere else.

warhammer/40k crops up in very strange places though, just when you least expect it :shifty:

Jerrus
30-03-2011, 10:51
Check out the 3 dudes in the background

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/strider/strider-genesis.jpg

Wishing
30-03-2011, 11:55

Same here, I was highly amused when I saw that.

johnnyrumour
30-03-2011, 12:49
The people on the Ace of Cakes show on the food network made a squig cake in one episode.

It was commissioned by the Warhammer Online guys for Games Day Baltimore a few years ago. It was good cake as well!

Otherwise perenially awesome UK comic Viz featured a strip called '35-year-old obsessive War Workshop Assistant' than quite impressively lampooned the WFB/40k divide and the 'you can't buy Space Marines and Wood Elves' mentality.

Jonny_N
30-03-2011, 12:57

I am willing to bet they both play Lamenters. Sad marines that get beat up by everyone and cover themselves in checks and bleeding hearts.

Dr. Darke
30-03-2011, 13:32
Saw a british social drama show(Eastenders?) eons ago(around 2nd ed). Some of the kids got a dog, and their father complained the dog had ruined "a entire Ultramarine tactical squad and eaten a veteran sergeant" There where shots of the fathers gaming room, with a diorama-like scenery table. Can't remember anything else.

Godzooky
30-03-2011, 13:45
There was some pseudo-documentary (I think on BBC3) about women who set up websites where random saddos could contribute funds towards their breast enlargement surgeries.

They followed one of the male donators into a model shop. He bought some anime figures, but when he got home and put them in his display cabinet, you could see a few sphess mehreens in there.

Jonny_N
30-03-2011, 13:55
Check out the 3 dudes in the background

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/strider/strider-genesis.jpg

haha jesus! I actually own this game, I will dig it out later for a look!

Sekhmet
30-03-2011, 23:13
Zack and Cody from the "Suite Life of Zack and Cody" come into my local GW and play every once in a while.

Dude I love that show! And the On Deck version too!

Hrogoff the Destructor
31-03-2011, 00:13
I know there's a Cracked article that mentions Khorne, I'll search for it later.

a1elbow
31-03-2011, 02:02
I saw a "news" piece on Telemundo years ago that they did on 40k. They edited in hokey laser shots from Marines but I have no clue why the story was done.

bert n ernie
31-03-2011, 10:02
hokey laser shots from Marines

I desperately want to see that!
Is it really as bad as you're saying?

Vashanesh
31-03-2011, 13:22
in terms of random media..this is rather random :)

http://thechive.com/2011/03/04/best-photos-of-the-week-50-photos-29/best-photos-ever-25-2/

Bubonic Chronic
31-03-2011, 13:44
In one of those move to australlia or stay in england shows ( theres so many of them but i cant remember any of the names) th dad in the family was painting a spitfire with citadel paints, needless to say i was all like OMGWTFLOL, then they showed the kids playing a game with empire pistollers and knights versus spacemarines, wonder who won

dragonet111
31-03-2011, 14:13
I know there's a Cracked article that mentions Khorne, I'll search for it later.

I love this website always so much fun http://www.cracked.com/article_18576_5-ridiculous-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html

self biased
01-04-2011, 04:11

http://www.theonion.com/articles/scifi-geek-only-hangs-out-with-models,9967/

what's sad is that i think: "oh, hey! nice salamanders."

TheLastSon
01-04-2011, 09:21
Gary Oldman and his sons play :) the sons more so than Mr. Oldman himself as far as I know. His kids are a decent bunch, used to run into them sometimes when I was going to the Glendale Galleria GW, quite passionate about the game. Though Mr. Oldman did prefer a little anonymity but it is hard to ignore him when he came in as I had recently been going over the Batman movies :D

Wow I love Gary Oldman! That's awesome.:D

Anyway I know there's a lot of Death/Black metal stuff out there which is GW inspired and especially Chaos... Not that I remember many band names, my brother listens to that stuff and is always showing me album covers with distinct Chaos Termies or Khorne Berzerkers on the front he's always saying "isn't that stuff like from your books?":rolleyes:

doubleT
01-04-2011, 12:56

Yeah, we have a German version of that show in German television and there was also a guy / an idiot who showed his his collection of imperial knights. He was sitting on the floor shoving them over the carpet while making attack noises. The bitches, err, "models" were sitting on the sofa in front of him, asking if he'd play with them like with puppets until he agreed.

The guy definitely deserved it, though. He also came out on a big German Warhammer-board and told everyone about his appearance in the show.

And I think noone can top the following story:

Another member from the same board was on a tv show about nudists. I will never be able to delete this scene from my memory. :(
A fat, hairy guy, naked, sitting at a table in a dark and messy room under the roof, painting (ugly / bad) Bretonian knights. :shifty:

edit:
Does anyone here know the German band "Böhse Onkelz"? The former lead singer Kevin Russell was convicted of causing a heavy accident with deaths on the Autobahn. Before he went to jail, he was seen visiting a GW with his son.

Xenthick
01-04-2011, 16:54
Usually, when Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation mentions space marines, a figure of a gw Marine captain sometimes appears.

And he has frequently mentioned warhammer 40k specifically as well as saying things along the lines of "A game so boring it will make our children take up table top gaming"

Cry of the Wind
01-04-2011, 17:13
One or more of the Cracked guys must be 40k players. Another mention from them today: http://www.cracked.com/article_19096_the-7-most-needlessly-terrifying-pieces-heavy-machinery.html, it's the first caption picture, us warhammer guys called the gaint chainsaw thing :p

Myrmidon616
01-04-2011, 18:59
I'm waiting to see if Yahtzee will do a review of Space Marine on Zero Punctuation when it finally comes out.

Corporeal
01-04-2011, 20:05
Brian May (guitarist from Queen) and his kids used to play Warhammer many years ago.

"thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening me!" :)

Rolf
01-04-2011, 21:38
"thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening me!" :)

and the geek music award goes to :D

Lord Caldera
02-04-2011, 00:16
In the game "Bayonetta" Rodin says a variety of things when you enter the Gates of Hell. One of them is this:
"Bring me enough of these halos and I can get a ticket to the moon. I always wanted to be a bald space marine."
I love the references in that game.

SockMonkey
02-04-2011, 07:47
Highlander the TV show was often filmed in the Gastown area of Vancouver BC Canada. Oh good ol'water street! I was gaming in there (og about to date my self here) in the early/mid 90's ish and Mr Williams (Robin) and family came by the store. The staff politely kicked almost every one out and they came in to shop and visit. I was in a game and he came by to check it out, he was interested in Eldar the army I was playing at the time.

Super nice guy. only media reference I can think right now is "ORKS ARE COOL!"

AFnord
04-04-2011, 22:29
This screenshot from the adventure game Barrow hill (http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/50/barrowhill.jpg) shows something that looks a lot like a space marine & a bolter.

Lord-Caerolion
05-04-2011, 02:55
There's also the video clip for Land of Confusion by Disturbed, where if you look closely at the tanks rolling past, you notice that they're mk1 Rhinos.

Ulrig
05-04-2011, 08:12
My wife was quick to make the connection between Warhammer and hoarding.

LOL

anyway
My best friend told me a long time ago that in a episode of Highlander McCloud is playing warhammer fantasy with somebody in the beginning of a scene.

Messiahnide
05-04-2011, 14:48
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Stealer

Although whoever wrote the entry obviously knows nothing of games workshop/Tyranids, made me chuckle though.

MaliGn
05-04-2011, 15:05
I remember hearing Radio 1 DJ Jo Whiley asking her audience's opinions when her son was interested in starting to collect, responses were pretty varied, although there were some of the typical, "don't let him, it's horribly geeky" opinions... I think the topic lasted a good couple of weeks as she tried to understand some more about it [the hobby], but I wasn't really a regular listener to the show.

lothar of the hill people
05-04-2011, 19:54
In an episode of Scrubs JD asks the Janitor why he's sad and the Janitor replies "I got kicked out of my gaming group for bringing a real warhammer"

tu33y
05-04-2011, 22:23
there was an AWESOME comic strip in the adult comedy comic viz, set in Wargames Workshop. a little boy wanted some Chaos Space marines and some wood elves. they wouldnt sell them to him cos they were from different systems and if they fought it would be "a massacre". they kept reapeting it , "a massacre". needless to say Wargames Workshop was out of business by the end of the strip!

(the best bit was not only did he try to sell them the marines on their own, but also reeled off a list of paints and extras they MUST buy!)

tu33y
05-04-2011, 22:28
Otherwise perenially awesome UK comic Viz featured a strip called '35-year-old obsessive War Workshop Assistant' than quite impressively lampooned the WFB/40k divide and the 'you can't buy Space Marines and Wood Elves' mentality.

BLAST! i scanned through the whole thread and only noticed this after!!! however its nice some one else remembers it!

Hrogoff the Destructor
20-04-2011, 20:25
There appear's to be another Cracked article, http://www.cracked.com/article_18810_the-5-most-epic-one-man-rampages-in-history-war.html?wa_user1=4&wa_user2=Weird+World&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

:)

rob_appo
20-04-2011, 21:48
Big poster of it in rekyavik high street in iceland masive blood angel, however ths is outide a really good gaming caffee.

Dronevil
20-04-2011, 21:54

I came in this thread specifically to post the above. I love this scene, laughed so hard.

Doppleskanger
20-04-2011, 23:13
Very early episode of Trisha, a rubbish UK riki lake kind of thing had Girlfriends complaining about their boyfriends being something or other. One of the guys halled out was a guy, 35ish, maybe 20 stone and his girl was giving him stink for spending all his time painting GW figures. they showed the pictures and he was pretty damn good. The audience got all arsey with the girlfriend and told her to leave him alone!

Orkfaeller
21-04-2011, 00:23
There is a "Disneys Lilo & Stitch" Episode, where they visit a Sci Fi Convention.

Theres a scene with two bored Guys who say something like
"--- just let us go home and Playwarhammer."

Also in the (horrible) Kids/Teeny Show "Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide"
There is a class where the Geeks playing Warhammer Fantasy, dressed in LARP costumes, bashing their Miniatures into each other making Fighting Sounds.

And here is an artikel on Dawn of War in taiwanese TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6MeUgJUy8c

steppingonyou
21-04-2011, 01:16
i have it on good work that nic cage has been know to play a few games. did anyone mention the bret archer in the episode of deadzone?

TheSanityAssassin
21-04-2011, 01:53
There was some kind of discovery channel (or something similar) show outlining Outrageous Houses of the World or somesuch. It was showing this Dutch (I believe) family who lived in a house built out of an old Oil Tanker ship docked beside the city. The son was painting GW models and he showed them off to the host a little bit as he couldn't speak enough English to be featured any other way.

Also, with Lilo and Stitch having been mentioned before, does the Grand Councilwoman not look totally like a Tau?

steppingonyou
21-04-2011, 01:55
i also have it on very good authority that the sultan of Brunei and his sons play.

Tordeck
21-04-2011, 03:15
Also, with Lilo and Stitch having been mentioned before, does the Grand Councilwoman not look totally like a Tau?
Yes she does. I thought the same thing when I saw her.

Bold_or_Stupid
21-04-2011, 13:33
I remember that. There was also an episode of another detective drama (can't remember that name, it was that Scottish one), 'Gingerbread Man'. It was the contents of the 4th edition Warhammer Fantasy set. No mention of the game or models.

Taggart - a show that proved that the only place more violent than the 41st millenium is Glasgow :)

The minitures were High Elves circa WHFB 4th ed.

hwd
21-04-2011, 19:25
i also have it on very good authority that the sultan of Brunei and his sons play.

They had some photos ina really old White Dwarf of when some staff from head office went out and had a game of fantasy with one of the Sutan's sons on his birthday!

bocaj
21-04-2011, 22:31
I just realized that there are some similarities between the 40k universe and the Darren Shan series of demonata (it's a teenage horror series, you probably would only know about it if you have sons who have read them or are a teenager yourself. They're good id recommend them too ya). They made me think he know something about 40k, the similarities are:
-Demons in one universe, other races in the other
-Windows between universes are made by demon possessed or tricked humans
-Only some humans have magic powers
-Magic is much stronger when a window is open
-the Old creatures were in the original universe and created humanity and all other life in the human universe. Old ones anybody?
Many other similarities but too lazy to go through them right now. Not directly but lots of similarities...

Arnbjorn the ironsmith
22-04-2011, 12:19
was listening to australian radio and randomly someone called up and and sayed:
station:"so what do you do for a living?"
caller:"im a full time hobbiest and gamer of warhammer 40,000,?
station:"so what is that??"
caller:"its the doom of mankind and eternal war.."

ORKY ARD BOYZ
22-04-2011, 12:33
was listening to australian radio and randomly someone called up and and sayed:
station:"so what do you do for a living?"
caller:"im a full time hobbiest and gamer of warhammer 40,000,?
station:"so what is that??"
caller:"its the doom of mankind and eternal war.."

that must have been like Jodie Foster quoting Eminem

Deadite
22-04-2011, 15:17
I'd never heard of the band before a recent concert, but "In This Moment" has songs and some artwork that look very warhammer influenced. It helps that they're a metal band with a hot lead singer.
I bought a concert tee that features an army very similar to a Chaos legion and on the back the shirt says "I built myself a f---ing Iron Army"... which is one of their lyrics. I will probably be wearing this every time I play my Chaos marines.
Another shirt looks like a Mordheim character fending off a horde of zombies/mutants... some of that artwork looks very familiar, like I had seen it in a Vampire Counts book or something.

But I do wonder if that's just art imitating warhammer, or vice versa... :eyebrows:

archondan
22-04-2011, 19:23
I did not see it mentioned but who can forget Bolt Thrower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_Thrower)

Longtimelurker
22-04-2011, 21:32
I believe there were lots of ultramarines featured in an episodes of "the queens nose" which used to be on BBC1 at about 4pm ish (or was it ITV?)

Anyway the main character and a friend are in their dads "games room" (see lots of marines on the table) and they start a fire somehow.

There were plenty of shots of melting ultramarines!

Also i knew i was a geek as i remember seeing them and thinking, "those marines are well out of squad coherency".....

thesheriff
22-04-2011, 21:59
Not sure if this has been said yet, but a spin off of Inspector Morse, Lewis in its first episode in the Uk showed one of the key murder suspects as a lovless 16-year old who fancied his parents housmaid or something. When he was questioned as was real creepy like.

Then again, he played LoTR. Not even WotR.

thesheriff

Alarum
05-05-2011, 06:02
Originally Posted by Godzooky

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sci...h-models,9967/
what's sad is that i think: "oh, hey! nice salamanders."

I think you will find he is a Green Bay Packers fan with terminators painted in the team colours. There is a G on the leg of one of them that looks like the teams symbol.

HK-47
05-05-2011, 06:44
I was watching G4 and they where talking about the new Deus Ex game and one of the developers has what looks like Eldar runes tattooed on his arm.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51617/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Hands-On-Preview/

BigRob
05-05-2011, 11:13
I'm sure its come up in the last 6 pages or so but last night on Challenge, the 1990 series of The Crystal Maze, lists Games Workshop in its credits as one of the games designers.

Mega Nutz
05-05-2011, 15:12
Funnily enough there was an article in this mornings Metro regarding Warhammer, 40K, The Black library, The Ultramarines movie and the computer based Warhammer games!

I say funnily enough as I've never seen any media coverage before and then they're all included at once!!

Lexington
05-05-2011, 15:39
In the latest Dresden Files novel, Harry's trademark duster is transformed into a bulky set of armor, and he makes a remark about looking like "a cross between a Jedi and a Games Workshop Space Marine." I cackled loud enough to worry housemates. :p

flota
05-05-2011, 16:25
in the movie showtime
the "experimental new gun" looked like a bolter to me ;)

Narf
05-05-2011, 18:35
In the metro, a free newspaper on some uk train an travel routes, they did a peice today about warhammer, and the fact gw wont talk to them, does everything backwards, an still makes money. Then they talk for about 2 paragraphs about the new thq/relic games

burning crome
05-05-2011, 18:53
In the metro, a free newspaper on some uk train an travel routes, they did a peice today about warhammer, and the fact gw wont talk to them, does everything backwards, an still makes money. Then they talk for about 2 paragraphs about the new thq/relic games

yep i saw that can to be fair it was pretty much the whole page (or was at least up here in liverpool/manchester) will colour pic's. It did go on about how nerdy is was but it's pretty main stream.

Kensai
05-05-2011, 20:14
In the comic strip Foxtrot, Jason makes occasional references to Warhammer (Both 40k and Fantasy). One strip I remember in particular because Jason was using Bloodletters in his D&D game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that either Bill Amend or his children play.

Jokaero!
06-05-2011, 19:16

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/862364-opening-up-the-world-of-warhammer