PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Avalanche - 2k

Lukasz_VT
29-03-2011, 18:29
After a few games with my Ogres, I have come to agree with Malorian that hordes are the way to go with them, or at least very large units!

One could field:

2x 16 bull units with musician, standard and lookout gnoblar
Butcher with wyrdstone necklace (in bulls A)
Butcher with dispel scroll (in bulls B)
Tyrant with greatskull, warrior bane, potion of speed, mawseeker and heavy armour (in bulls A)
Bruiser BSB with runemaw, mawseeker (errata removed restriction on taking big names and magic banners), heavy armour (in bulls B)
20 gnoblars to get the three unit minimum

I do not own that many bulls! So my list, working with my ironguts:

Tyrant with greatskull, warrior bane, potion of speed, mawseeker and heavy armour (in Ironguts) = 276
Slaughtermaster with wyrdstone necklace (in Bulls) = 220
Butcher with ironcurse icon (Ironguts) = 135
Bruiser BSB with runemaw, mawseeker, heavy armour, great weapon (Bulls) = 197
16 Bulls with musician, standard and lookout gnoblar = 595 deployed as horde
10 Ironguts with full command = 535 deployed 4x3
21 gnoblars = 42

An alternate set up would be to put the BSB in the ironguts, fielding them as 3*4 so that the BSB and butcher are both in the 2nd rank.

Comments?

Large units of ogres give incredible points denial, are very hard to shift and deal out massive damage, especially with gut magic buffs. The runemaw and greatskull offer some protection from spells directed at the units (nothing can be done about Purple Sun/Pit of Shades).

I also love the idea of an avalanche of ogres rushing down from the mountains of mourn to smash through the thinlings :D

The major drawback is that it won't be tactically stimulating.

Malorian
29-03-2011, 18:34
The major drawback is that it won't be tactically stimulating.

That's why I can't get into my ogres. I seems that the better I make a list the fewer units it has, and then it just isn't an army I want to play.

I miss MSU :(

As far as your lists go I would look into having min-characters so you can get the biggest units possible.

Lukasz_VT
29-03-2011, 19:11
As far as your lists go I would look into having min-characters so you can get the biggest units possible.

By min characters do you mean dropping their cost or actually dropping characters?

I don't know if the 50pnt greatskull is worth it, I'll have to test it out. Most other items seem pretty essential to keep the characters alive. I also felt I needed a magic weapon in there, just in case.

Would you drop the butchers? Gut magic buffs seem very useful to me from my experience with them.

Aside from that, I don't own more models :D

Malorian
29-03-2011, 19:15
If you don't own more models it doesn't matter.

An easy one is that you don't really need a slaughter master and a butcher, or you could downgrade the slaughter master to a butcher if you really want to run two of them.

Yrrdead
29-03-2011, 19:23
My buddy runs a list similar to this and it is tough to face. Obviously has some counters (purple sun,pit) but we don't tailor lists for opponents since we are generally working on tournament lists.

He runs only a single slaughtermaster(2500) and it seems to me he could definitely use another caster. The dreaded snake eyes on a two dice spell is something I've seen happen to him a few times.

Tactically as you move up in points you can have some other units. More gnoblars, a giant, some scraplaunchers. These give you the ability to do more against various armies.

Lukasz_VT
29-03-2011, 19:32
Something like this?

Tyrant = 200
Slaughtermaster = 200
BSB with runemaw = 175
21 bulls with standard = 755
18 bulls = 630
20 gnoblars = 40

Total = 2000

All heroes with the 21 bulls. Super bland :(

It could be more interesting with some other units thrown in at higher points, but doing so weakens the list. I would not take a giant - having it yell and bawl before 6 ogres strike is irritating enough, but before 24 ogres... well the Tyrant would give him something to yell and bawl about.

Funnily enough, I mentioned to my brother that I found ogres lacked variety and he just gave me 5000 points of High Elves. WOO!! They play a bit different.

Malorian
29-03-2011, 19:41
You think that's bland?

You could go further and put all those bulls into a single unit, then just run up one flank and off you go.

You see, bigger is better but bigger soon becomes blander :(

Yrrdead
29-03-2011, 20:10
I get the blander business. My current vamp list consists of ghouls, grave guard and a few characters. Effective but boring. Kind of a endemic effect of competitive lists in 8th imo.