PDA

View Full Version : Gamesworkshop Brussels

-=Lazuli=-
29-03-2011, 23:11
Hi,

I am visiting my family over in Belgium this summer. I know there is a Gamesworkshop in the capital Brussels. I've been to Belgium many times and have seen this store but never had a chance to go in. It's pretty close to where I am staying (might even be able to walk there) and am wondering if the store is good or not. I've been to only the Gamesworkshop Grapevine here in Texas and the community and staff there are great, but I've heard some stores are not very good.

So does anyone frequent this store? From what I remember it's a bit small. Do they have playing or painting spaces? I need to decide wether or not to bring some models with me over there.

Thanks.

Lacan
31-03-2011, 06:23
Hi there,

I work in Brussels, not too far from GW. Never been there myself, but I'll check them out during lunchtime somewhere next week.

cheers,

Kroot Lord
01-04-2011, 17:20
I've been to the GW Brussels once, meaning to spend my day painting and chatting there, but I left after twenty minutes. Some things to consider:

- the shop is tiny. As in really, really, really small, especially if you're used to the Games Workshops in America.
- it has two 'gaming' boards. One of them is used as a display board, the second one is a grand total of 2' by 2'.
- it is all French. None of the staff spoke English there, all the books are in French, all the codices and army books are too, as are all the customers.
- it's in Euros, meaning it's a horrible, horrible exchange rate. First off, it's about 1.6 times as expensive as the items in England (even though the exchange rate is about 1.15) and secondly, you'll have to be converting from dollars to euros so it'll be even worse.

Seriously, it's not worth it at all. If you're coming here on a Tuesday, I'd sincerely suggest going to a local gaming club in Leuven- you can easily take a train there from Brussels, it'll only be like 10 euros there and back and it's a short trip (30 minutes or so). From the station, you'll need to take a bus to get there, which will take a further 7 minutes, and it's about a 20 second walk from the bus stop to the shop.

x-esiv-4c
01-04-2011, 17:27
And Leuven is awesome.

Lacan
01-04-2011, 19:01
Hi,

As promised, I visited the GW store during lunchtime.
It is quite tiny with 3 rather small gaming tables and 1 painting table.

Like Kroot Lord said: the army books and codexes are mostly French (not all, e.G. Grey Knights isn't), but the White Dwarf is exclusively French.

Leuven might be a good alternative, but there are also GW's in Ghent and Antwerp.

The storemanager in Brussels even directed me to an indepented store called Waterstone. If you're interested, i'll check them out.

cheers

x-esiv-4c
01-04-2011, 19:07
I seem to remember "The Lonely Mountain" in Leuven waaay back. I think it moved since then though to a more central location.

Lacan
01-04-2011, 19:20
As far as I know, "The Lonely Mountain" has gone bankrupt some time ago

marv335
01-04-2011, 21:11
Sadly I didn't find time for gaming last time I was in Belgium.
Too many good beers.
I did pop into the Antwerp shop though, seemed ok.

-=Lazuli=-
02-04-2011, 03:53
I've been to the GW Brussels once, meaning to spend my day painting and chatting there, but I left after twenty minutes. Some things to consider:

- the shop is tiny. As in really, really, really small, especially if you're used to the Games Workshops in America.
- it has two 'gaming' boards. One of them is used as a display board, the second one is a grand total of 2' by 2'.
- it is all French. None of the staff spoke English there, all the books are in French, all the codices and army books are too, as are all the customers.
- it's in Euros, meaning it's a horrible, horrible exchange rate. First off, it's about 1.6 times as expensive as the items in England (even though the exchange rate is about 1.15) and secondly, you'll have to be converting from dollars to euros so it'll be even worse.

Seriously, it's not worth it at all. If you're coming here on a Tuesday, I'd sincerely suggest going to a local gaming club in Leuven- you can easily take a train there from Brussels, it'll only be like 10 euros there and back and it's a short trip (30 minutes or so). From the station, you'll need to take a bus to get there, which will take a further 7 minutes, and it's about a 20 second walk from the bus stop to the shop.

Hi,

Thanks for the useful information. I'll see if that can be worked out. I'm suprised none of the staff members know english, the store is right outside the square that has alot of gold things which is a tourist attraction (haha, I don't remember what it's called) unless they moved (again, I know when I went there 8 or so years ago it was in a differnt place). I'll see if I can make that club, but I don't know any players there. Are they a good group?

Last time I was in Belgium, I got there after it closed and I saw only on table with some orks and spacemarines an a gaming table. Looks about the size of the on in Grapevin (small GW store).

Hi,

As promised, I visited the GW store during lunchtime.
It is quite tiny with 3 rather small gaming tables and 1 painting table.

Like Kroot Lord said: the army books and codexes are mostly French (not all, e.G. Grey Knights isn't), but the White Dwarf is exclusively French.

Leuven might be a good alternative, but there are also GW's in Ghent and Antwerp.

The storemanager in Brussels even directed me to an indepented store called Waterstone. If you're interested, i'll check them out.

cheers

Thanks for looking at that for me. I'll probably stop by there once or so and try to make the club Kroot Lord mentioned. The store manager told you about the store? In the US, the store managers tend to think other non-GW stores on't exist ^_^

If you stop by, let me know how it is. But don't go out of your way or anything ^_^

Lacan
02-04-2011, 08:49
Apparently I misunderstood the guy. Waterstone is just an English Bookstore, nothing more.

Sorry, my bad

Cheers

blongbling
02-04-2011, 09:31
Antwerp is the store to go to, very large store, lots of tables and they all speak English. By train it is 45 minutes ish from Brussels

Inquisitor S.
04-04-2011, 14:14

Apparently I misunderstood the guy. Waterstone is just an English Bookstore, nothing more.

Yes, indeed. But it is with a high probability the only store in Brussels where you could buy Black Library novels. Not that the prices are so competitive, cheaper to buy online and have it delivered to Belgium.

None of the staff spoke English there

That is not correct. Only was there twice to look up specific books, the salesperson I asked spoke English. As to if it worth going there or not: don't know, I generally dislike GW stores to hang out, this one did not really seem to be an exception to their stores in Europe I have visited.

Kroot Lord
04-04-2011, 17:03
That is not correct.

Well, it applied to me so I'm pretty sure there's a chance it will apply to the original poster as well.

Inquisitor S.
04-04-2011, 17:05
There is a chance. But you can not generally say that they do not speak or understand English per se.

Kroot Lord
04-04-2011, 17:14
There is a chance. But you can not generally say that they do not speak or understand English per se.

True, but I was just speaking from my personal experience the one time I went there. For me, none of them spoke English, and all the customers were French as well.

Inquisitor S.
04-04-2011, 17:21
and all the customers were French as well.

Belgians easily take offence if you call them French ;) And as I said before, I can not confirm what you said, the times I was there the staff could speak English and there were non-French-Speaking customers, too. Not really surprising considering how big the Expats-Community is.

Kroot Lord
04-04-2011, 19:17
Belgians easily take offence if you call them French ;) And as I said before, I can not confirm what you said, the times I was there the staff could speak English and there were non-French-Speaking customers, too. Not really surprising considering how big the Expats-Community is.

Tell me about it, I am Belgian ;)

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure one can safely say the Brussels store is absolutely nothing like those found in Texas (assuming they are anything like the ones I've seen in and around Seattle) and, to be honest, you probably won't enjoy your self there, EVEN if there are a couple staff members or customers who happen to speak English as well as French.

jack da greenskin
05-04-2011, 18:07

I have been to belgium twice, and I think it is possibly the most awesome country ever. I wish I spoke flemmish, because despite its limited global usage, but most of the people I spoke to there would rather speak english than french (well in ;) )

Any place where I can get a beer and a waffle for under 5 euros, (despite being 15 years old and without ID) is good in my books.

-=Lazuli=-
06-04-2011, 04:39
I have been to belgium twice, and I think it is possibly the most awesome country ever. I wish I spoke flemmish, because despite its limited global usage, but most of the people I spoke to there would rather speak english than french (well in ;) )

Any place where I can get a beer and a waffle for under 5 euros, (despite being 15 years old and without ID) is good in my books.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure one can safely say the Brussels store is absolutely nothing like those found in Texas (assuming they are anything like the ones I've seen in and around Seattle) and, to be honest, you probably won't enjoy your self there, EVEN if there are a couple staff members or customers who happen to speak English as well as French.

Thanks guys,

The store I go to in Texas is smaller, the Brussels one might be a bit smaller compared to Seattle ^_^

I would think the staff members could speak more than just French becuase Belgium has the Flemmish too, hopefully someone will know English or I'll have to go out to the other club.

And the waffles in Belgium are very good ^_^

Krootlord,

If you or someone else will be at Leuven, I'd like to meet you for a pick-up game (Or at the Brussels store). Not sure when I'll be around, bit I'm in Brussels for at least a week after I go to London.

blongbling
06-04-2011, 12:29
I would think the staff members could speak more than just French becuase Belgium has the Flemmish too.

yes, but they speak French in Brussels, not Flemmish....

Inquisitor S.
07-04-2011, 12:32
yes, but they speak French in Brussels, not Flemmish....

That depends on the quarter of the city and which people you talk to. And anyway the whole language issue is way to complicated, all can be read up on Wikipedia and elsewhere ;)

Kroot Lord
07-04-2011, 22:47
Belgium in general is a very complicated nation when it comes to social/politic issues (for example, despite elections having been held in June 2010, we still haven't come to an agreement and the old government is still in place almost a year later), but a) these problems are hardly understand by most Belgians (including me, not going to lie), so let alone the rest of the world, and b) it'd very easily lead to a P&R discussion.

But yes, I'd love to play a game when you're around! Just send me a PM when you're here (or a couple of weeks in advance) and we can discuss further :)