PDA

View Full Version : Chaos dwarfs as Dwarfs?

RTGamer
30-03-2011, 03:26
After listening to the latest garagehammer episode I really fancy making a chaos dwarf army.

Now I know there is the Indy gt list and the 2 page ravening hordes list but what about using them as normal dwarfs? Which would you rather see a chaos dwarf player use?

The reason I ask is I don't want to build a list for one type and then not be able to use it at tournaments. I know my local group wouldn't care much.

Thank in advance.

scarletsquig
30-03-2011, 03:37
Normal dwarfs would lose pretty much all of the theme of the army.

The ravening hordes list isn't half bad in 8th edition. Plenty of artillery, access to both cheap and elite infantry blocks, good magic and really easy to get ld 10.

Torpedo Vegas
30-03-2011, 04:07
I use the ravening Hordes list, you really lose a lot of flavor if you use the vanilla dwarfs book.

Da Crusha
30-03-2011, 09:23
Go ravening hordes! thats what I do and the Chaos dwarfs are great in 8th.

Urgat
30-03-2011, 09:36
And I'll add a voice for "use the ravening hordes". The nature of the army itself is about the hobby approach. If you want to go to a tournament, just use your regular armies, don't spoil the "hobby army" by restricting your theme to competitive play. An army like CD is about converting and having fun, not about digging out the ancient artifact of power to crush all the opposition, right? :)

Ultimate Life Form
30-03-2011, 12:50
Any self-respecting Chaos Dwarf would rather die than use the Dwarf book and thus resorts to Ravening Hordes.

Nkari
30-03-2011, 13:19
indeed.. Ravening hordes..

Commodus Leitdorf
30-03-2011, 14:05
indeed.. Ravening hordes..

That needed to be limed for effect.

Use the Ravening Hordes list, The Dwarf list just makes them...boring.

Vampiric16
30-03-2011, 15:49
If the ravening hordes list was not availabe, then I would say use dwarfs for lack of a better option. But if you have the list, then it is best to use that. Pretty hard to shoe horn bull centaurs and hob gobs into regular dwarfs.

Odin
30-03-2011, 16:34
Now there is a good list of common magic items, Ravening Hordes is a good solid option.

BigbyWolf
30-03-2011, 18:25
As Odin says, the new items in the BRB means that the Ravening Hordes list is a lot better. And the latest FAQ for that list advises you to use whichever OnG book is current for rules/ prices for any Greenskins in the army. So that means ITP Black Orcs with Choppa great weapons for you.

I still use the Ravening Hordes list, I had a look though the Indy book that was produced but didn't like it. Too many units "spoiled the broth" for me...

RTGamer
30-03-2011, 18:31
Yeah I know that it does kill some of the options and flavour playing them as dwarfs but the reason I ask is the GW tournaments such as 'Ard boyz do not allow Chaos Dwarfs at all.

Maybe I should play safe and build the army with the Ravening Hordes as the mainstay but with the capability to transfer tehm to a chaotic Dwarf Army should I need to.

I also notice no love for the Indy GT list?

Nkari
30-03-2011, 19:51
The indy GT list has even less tournaments that allows it.. and I didnt like the indy list that much myself..

Overall I think the hordes list is fine.. just minor tweaks here and there.. and its fine.. =)

Frankly
30-03-2011, 21:25
My mate is using the WoC armybook, its a good choice to bash bash CD's.

Korraz
30-03-2011, 21:59
What? How? No Goblins, no Black Orcs, no shooting, no warmachines, no Bullcentaurs...

BigbyWolf
30-03-2011, 23:04
I also notice no love for the Indy GT list?

Whilst I approve of anyone who puts the time and effort into writing a proper fandex (I know how difficult it is- I've been working on an Estalian one for over a year now...and am nowhere near finished!), there just seemed to be too many things in it that felt like they were included simply because the creators thought "Ooh...that's a cool idea, lets bang them in!"

The Ravening Hordes list is fine as it is- it contains all the things you could get in the old WD presents: Chaos Dwarfs...Chaos Dwarf warriors and blunderbuss's, Bull Centaurs, Earthshakers and Death Rockets and a goodly mix of greenskins.

The reason I'd not recommend the Dwarf book is, as others have stated, you lack the things that made it unique- slow, powerful infantry, cheap infantry, fast cavalry and magic.

As noted above, if you have all the figures and want to take them to a tourney, WoC are probably the best bet:

Warriors- Chaos Warriors
Hobgoblins/ Wolfriders- Marauders, Marauder Horsemen
Earthshaker- Hellcannon
Centaurs- Knights
Sneaky Gits- Forsaken (bit of a stretch) or AHW Marauders
Great Taurus- Dragon
Lamasu- Manticore

OK, so there's no blunderbuss's or bolt throwers, but you do get a decent amount of choice with the above. You could even throw some Black Orcs into the mix as warriors with a different mark.

Justy
31-03-2011, 00:39
Ravening hordes list is the one with op hobgoblins at 2points?

Gus8
31-03-2011, 00:47
Definitely ravening hordes.

Zanzibarthefirst
31-03-2011, 00:52
I havent seen any Chaos Dwarf lists in a while. When talking bout ravening hordes, are you talking about the little booklet with night goblins on the front produced about 10 years ago or is there an updated version?

wyglif
31-03-2011, 00:56
Out of curiousity, why no mentions for the actual Chaos Dwarf army book? (I'm rather new to starting collecting anything to do with these guys - just got their fourth edition book last week.)

Da Crusha
31-03-2011, 01:03
I havent seen any Chaos Dwarf lists in a while. When talking bout ravening hordes, are you talking about the little booklet with night goblins on the front produced about 10 years ago or is there an updated version?
yes were talking about thew 10 year old booklet. that is the last official rules for the chaos dwarf.

Out of curiousity, why no mentions for the actual Chaos Dwarf army book? (I'm rather new to starting collecting anything to do with these guys - just got their fourth edition book last week.)

the chaos dwarf book is not the latest set of rules for the chaos dwarfs. ravening hordes is the most recent set of rules.

BigbyWolf
31-03-2011, 01:04

The one I use came with 6th edition, so I think that's the one your thinking of. Thee have been a couple of FAQs released over the years that keep it up to date(ish).

The issue with that one is that it uses the old army selection build- Characters, Troops, War Machines and Monsters.

Haravikk
31-03-2011, 11:05
If you want to use them to count as a current book, then Warriors of Chaos is a decent fit. Not great, but you can shoe-horn a lot of units into one thing or another, while retaining the use of magic.

The Dwarf list isn't really ideal, as Chaos Dwarfs don't have the same artillery and shooting options which is a big part of the Dwarf list, and regular Dwarfs have no access to magic or magic items, as they have runes instead. So while Dwarfs are the logical choice for the Dwarf stat-line, they're not a good fit for Chaos Dwarfs.

Warriors of Chaos will give you unusually powerful and heavily armoured Chaos Dwarfs, but you can chalk that up to the effects of worshiping Hashut. They also let you use magic and have monstrous mounts. You'll need to squeeze Orcs in a bit, probably as Marauders, and there are some things which just don't fit brilliantly like blunderbusses.

As others say, if you have or can get the Ravening Hordes booklet then that list will serve you a lot better for friendly games.

Whitehorn
31-03-2011, 11:58
Ravening Hordes is the last version.

I plan to use it with the FAQ collectively built by Chaos Dwarfs online. Ropes in a few 8th edition tweaks and new edition O&G rules.

I may write my own pdf at some point, perhaps beg TF to include it in a future event for me to field my army :)

Zaknifa
31-03-2011, 19:26
Go with ravening Hordes list, 8th gave it a great boost (with artillery and cheap troops being more powerful) and the common magic items combined with their unquie items and create some pretty powerful chracters and magic phases.

All in all a good enough list that got a boost from 8th and the new Orcs and Goblins book.

Da Crusha
01-04-2011, 22:48
Go with ravening Hordes list, 8th gave it a great boost (with artillery and cheap troops being more powerful) and the common magic items combined with their unquie items and create some pretty powerful chracters and magic phases.

All in all a good enough list that got a boost from 8th and the new Orcs and Goblins book.

our unique magic items don't have any combinations with common magic items that make uber powerful characters. Im only saying, as to not give the wrong impression since some people think chaos dwarf players are just powergamers.

Frankly
02-04-2011, 09:51
What? How? No Goblins, no Black Orcs, no shooting, no warmachines, no Bullcentaurs...

warriors warriors and more warriors + knight stats as centaurs + human stats as hobgoblins and 2 WMs

Anyone seen 'mantra's'(spelling) Abyss Dwarves BTW? They are freaking AWESOME! At about a third of the price GW models.

Da Crusha
02-04-2011, 11:00
I think you are talking about mantic's abyssal dwarfs. I would be into them if I didn't already have so many chaos dwarfs.

Galladorn
02-04-2011, 13:20
It is pure blasphemy to use Chaos Dwarves as Dwarves. BLASPHEMY!

Leogun_91
02-04-2011, 19:09
Wouldn't empire be a good fit ruleswise. Statetroops and militia as greenskins. Greatswords as warriors (with hobgoblin detatchments possibly), knights as bull centaurs, lots of cool warmachines. No Blunderbusses except those that launch grenades but you can live with that. And wizards for sorcerors.

rodmillard
02-04-2011, 20:47
I think you are talking about mantic's abyssal dwarfs. I would be into them if I didn't already have so many chaos dwarfs.

I plan on getting some of these for KoW (when I finish my undead) and will be using the Ravening Hordes list for them in WFB. With the additional magic items available in the FBRB, there really is no need to use a fan made list unless you have some of the really old (3rd ed) models...

The thing to remember with the Ravening Hordes list is that if your group decuides to use the Indy GT list (or you are attending a tournament which uses it), then every model from a Ravening Hordes Chaos Dwarf army can be used in the Indy GT list. The reverse is not true.

I also have a few personal gripes about the Indy list, and despite their best efforts I don't think it made the transition to WFB:8 very well (the lack of a hero level magic user being one of the biggest problems I can see, but apparently I share that with a lot of people who do actually use the list).