PDA

View Full Version : All Orcs All The Time!

Malorian
30-03-2011, 17:43
Orcs All The Time!

So I have a tournament this weekend and will be running the following:

My List:

Savage orc warboss w/ glittering scales, effigy of mork, iron gnashas, extra choppa
Lvl 4 orc great shaman w/ dispel scroll

Black orc bsb w/ heavy armor, spirit totem
Black orc big boss w/ armor of silvered steel, great weapon
Savage orc big boss w/ great weapon, battle brew

49 orcs w/ shields,musician, banner
49 orcs w/ shields,musician, banner
20 savage orcs w/ extra choppa
14 arrer boyz

40 black orcs w/ FC, waaagh banner
Boar chariot
Boar chariot

Total: 2498

I'm sure many of you realize this is using the old army book, and this is because around here a book has to be out for a month before you can use it in a tournament and the new orcs will be just shy of that.

The reason for the list is explained mainly from the comp. You get 1 point for no special character, you get 1 point for having more core than anything else (that's why I have 4 core and only 3 special), you get 1 point for no dpulicate characters, and 1 point for a theme.

Now a theme is hard to pull off, and at first I was going to take a hard lizardmen list that met everything else, but then decided to go with it and a theme of All Orcs All The Time! Unfortunately I was told after that it's really hard to get the theme point so it might be all for nothing...

At any rate I'm actually hoping that using the old book will catch people off guard. The ninja warboss, spirit totem, and super lonf waaagh charge (especially with the waaagh banner) is something people haven't had to deal with for a bit and so might not be expecting it.

Some of the characters are mainly added for theme but I can also pool them into a single unit to make it a deathstar.

So the tournament is this Saturday, it will be 4 games, and then I'll try and get up the reports as soon as possible.

Until then vote to guess how I will do :D

(As usual I'm just hoping to win more than I lose.)

Edit:

Here are all the reports!

Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pCc3xNv1hA
Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFK5Y3ByiAk
Game 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJf2UfWYrg
Game 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM31anh3cUM
Review and result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_foE-nrHA

Zaknifa
31-03-2011, 18:32
If this is the same list as your battle report you used against the daemons of chaos? If so you should usually do fairly well, however, you may be unable to deal with the hardest of lists and your lack of warmachine protection, in case of spam, and your lack of flaming attacks may hamper you abit.

Overall I guess three wins, very little is going to beat you in close combat outside of the HPA, and you may have trouble with a dwarf gunline. Other than that, good list and looks solid.

Hope you do better than my prediction.

Malorian
31-03-2011, 18:48
Same list yes. That wasn't a successful test...

And I would be very happy to meet your prediction :)

Chaos Undecided
01-04-2011, 12:29
If you are losing a point by having 2 Black Orc big bosses wouldnt it be best to take one as a regular Orc? or is the duplication rule more exact than that.

Good luck with the tournament.

frapermax
01-04-2011, 13:28
A lot of your success will depend on match-ups here as well as getting of the waaagh spell. So I iwent for an average 2 wins. My guess is you would suffer against gunlines (empire, dwarf or skaven). Don't use your archers as a bunker against these, or your mage will be gone fast. Very mobile armies will give you headaches too unless you can cover the length of the board well. Nice list though, wil be a real test of your skill.

Malorian
01-04-2011, 15:12
If you are losing a point by having 2 Black Orc big bosses wouldnt it be best to take one as a regular Orc? or is the duplication rule more exact than that.

Good luck with the tournament.

No, they would have to be exactly the same.

Seabo
01-04-2011, 16:10
I'm going to say 2W/2L as some highly mobile or shooty lists are going to give you a very hard time.
I am rooting for ya though :D

Malorian
03-04-2011, 14:07
Here are all the reports!

Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pCc3xNv1hA
Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFK5Y3ByiAk
Game 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJf2UfWYrg
Game 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM31anh3cUM
Review and result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_foE-nrHA

Zaknifa
03-04-2011, 19:43
Great showing by you, though your first game was kinda lackluster. But it was cool to see a dragon being used.

Also was there any explanation for why the scoring system of the tournment was so wonky?

Otherwise great reports and it was good to see your old 7th edition orcs and goblins one last time. Hope you do better in your next showing where ever it is.

papabearshane
04-04-2011, 01:56
As always great battle reps.

That first game just goes to show you how much loosing that stead fast due to woods is a real killer for hords.

Cant wait to see some turny Reps with the New book.

AMWOOD co
04-04-2011, 03:14
I must admit that the scoring system did seem rather... odd. Some of my favourite games are where we are counting up survivors because it's faster than counting kills (I've had several of these over the years). Did you manage to get a hold of the standing for the actual matches of the tournament?

Oh, and congrats on your 2nd place finish. Bravo.

Kalandros
04-04-2011, 03:20
Savage orc warboss w/ glittering scales, effigy of mork, iron gnashas, extra choppa

Weird, I'd have gone for Fencer's Blades instead of the effigy but that's just me. :D

Game 1 - Steadfast is gone if the MAJORITY of the unit's models are in the forest - this wasn't your case.
Also a Treeman does not have Regen, it has 3+ Scaly Skin 5+ Ward Save (against non-magic wounds only)

Malorian
04-04-2011, 14:29
Game 1 - Steadfast is gone if the MAJORITY of the unit's models are in the forest - this wasn't your case.
Also a Treeman does not have Regen, it has 3+ Scaly Skin 5+ Ward Save (against non-magic wounds only)

Really? I'll have to look into that one as that would change a lot (in my gaming in general, not just in this tournament).

Yeah my bad on the regen... I knew it was a ward in my head but I just kept saying it wrong. Didn't catch it until the video review and at that point it was too late unless I wanted to redo everything.

Same thing with when I started to talk about beastmen in the orc vs orc game. The program has a glitch that does this when it's saving a movie while I'm working on the next, and to fix it I would have to redo the entire thing.

Only an issue when I'm doing more than 1 report in a night.

russellmoo
04-04-2011, 15:46
Enjoyed the reports-

Would you have rather had the banner of eternal flame on your black orcs given how things turned out, or would you have kept your list the same?

Malorian
04-04-2011, 15:54
Would you have rather had the banner of eternal flame on your black orcs given how things turned out, or would you have kept your list the same?

Had the treeman failed 3 wards rather than just 1 I would certainly agree with you :p

The way it turned out the flaming banner wouldn't have really helped me. Looking at the other armies there were no skaven players, one VC player with regen deathstar, and one high elve player with dragon princes. So a wash really.

Looking ahead I think the best place for the flaming banner might actually be on the BSB. My bsb doesn't really have any roll other than giving rerolls and placing the character last would let me counter the deployment game (i just add flaming where I want it). But then again I don't want my bsb ending up on a flank.

So I guess I will be more tempted to take it but I don't see it as a must.

Kalandros
04-04-2011, 16:09
The double wounds on it makes you need only 3 unsaved wounds to kill it though, same with treekins, double wounds against them is great.

But anyway, bad dice vs lucky dice happens once in a while :D
Karma. ;p

AM1640
04-04-2011, 17:20
Wow you are faast on posting the battle reports. I was the second player Malorian had at the Onslaught tournament. This was a good game that showed how well he knew the rules and how inexperienced I am with the 8th edition. I should have realised that just killing a few black orcs with my night goblin on the cave squig would not be worth the combat reform it would allow him. Oops. I also did not have a level 4 caster and I found while playing against 3 orc opponents (yes 3 of my 4 opponents for the day were orc and goblin armies) the Waaggh spell hurt me several times. The re roll to hit allowed my opponents to get 10 to 15 kills while I was only doing 5 to 10. I have to check to see what my overall standing was. Although I did lose 2 games I had alot of fun and placing 3rd for sporstmanship I guess I was fun to play against and that is what I consider important. I look forward to playing Malorian again at another tournament.

AMWOOD co
05-04-2011, 03:20
Glad you enjoyed it, AM1640. Tournaments can be a real pleasure if you go to simply do your best and take the bumps with the bloodletting. Be flexible in your rule interpretations to get the game over, but be firm in sticking to the rules that you do know (ie. Don't let people cheat, but be willing to compromise on the many grey areas).

Also, you're comment on the WAAAGH! spell reminds me of the many times I've used that spell to turn my field of fanatics into guided missiles against my foe. When there's 8 of the blighters circling him and then they all go on collision courses, you just know it's going to hurt. (heheh)

As for Mr. Malorian, you seem to have built up quite the following here. You're willing to toss aside the convention of 'tradional' thinking ("But that's how we did it in 7th!") while giving advice to both new and veteran players. You are to be commended. Meanwhile, people now know how you work. Beware, lest you meet an opponent using new methods who knows your tactics. I believe Sun Tzu said something about that.

Watching your battles, aside from the scoring system, it seems that flying lone monsters still have their place in the game as bunker hunters. This is heartenning and disheartenning as my Chaos and High Elf armies both have monsters while my Greenskins don't and my buddy's all cavalry greenskins do. I'll need an appropriate solution.

Just out of curiosity, were you using 2 choppas or great weapons when fighting the Beastmen with your Black Orcs? Hmm... I'll mention this over on the tactica thread, there must be an ideal point of armour/toughness where great weapons become better than 2 hand weapons now.

Finally, a last salute to the 7th edition book. The WAAAGH! spell is dead! Long live the WAAAGH!

Malorian
05-04-2011, 03:28
Just out of curiosity, were you using 2 choppas or great weapons when fighting the Beastmen with your Black Orcs?

I used 2 choppas so I could strike before the great weapons of the bestigors.

It would have worked like a charm had I not spread myself out to both units.

That amount of hatred attacks was more than I could deal with, and like I said I played the beastlord wrong. Basically psychological tactics gone wrong.