PDA

View Full Version : Skaven and Ard Boys Meeting Engagements

Tomalock
30-03-2011, 23:28
So Ard Boys has two meeting engagements in round one. As this is a no-holds barred, cheese it up tourny RAW is in full effect. So I have two questions in regards to this. First is that I run 2 furnaces and a bell. How does it work if a bell, furnace, or one of their units is left in reserve without the other? By strict RAW it would appear that they cannot be deployed (per the skaven book and FAQ) and are thus destroyed for all intents and purposes. So help me out here, I am looking for solid answers to this that are based on the rules as written. I looked, but I haven't found anything that helps me out on this matter. If theres nothing firm in the rules then I just cannot take the army to round 1.

Second question is similar but with the weapons teams. Are they rolled for seperatly? The army book says they have to be deployed within 3", but that doesn't preclude them from rolling seperatly. It just means that when they come on the table they have to be within 3" and if they start on the table and the parent unit is in reserve then they are not able to be deployed.

So what does everyone think based on the rules themselves (please don't tell me just to house rule it, that isn't going to fly in Ard Boys)? I'll be pretty bummed if I can't take the Skaven as I've been buying and building models for this tourny. Help me out!

Malorian
30-03-2011, 23:42
Based on the rules as I read them the bell or furnace would be placed on the board but then obviously couldn't move until a unit came back for it.

And you would roll for the unit and the team at the same time.

Best thing to do though is get in contact with whoever is running the tournament in your area as they will have the final say.

Makrar
31-03-2011, 02:30
Or read the faq

D'Haran
31-03-2011, 02:45
you have to decide before u roll what is being deployed with what unit. they then are rolled for in deployment as a single unit. so they're either deployed as one or put in reserve as one. or that's how i'd play it, u may want to ask your local judge pre game so you know what his ruling would be since it's a little grey.

Tomalock
31-03-2011, 03:02
Or read the faq

Gee why didn't I think of that? Oh thats right I did! Sadly neither the rulebook FAQ or the Skaven FAQ address this issue directly. The one FAQ entry that addresses deployment in general could be inferred to mean that the Furnace/Bell cannot be deployed at all and is thus destroyed or that it simply gets placed in reserve. If the unit it goes in is what rolled a 1 then that is ok under the latter, but if the bell/furnace itself rolled a 1 then does the unit get placed in reserve as well? Or is it just destroyed? So unless there is an Ardboys FAQ that I am missing, your post is not helpful at all, although I can safely assume that was your intent all along.

@Malorian

Yeah I'll probably need to have a talk with the judges at my LGS. I was hoping there was something concrete that I was missing, but I have a feeling I'll just be getting more of Makrar's worthless drivel. Thanks for your post!

edit:

@D'Haran

That is one way to do it, but thats just houseruling it and that won't fly at Ard Boys unless the Judges rule that way. I would be fine with that, but not going to build a list just on the hope that it will happen.

FestHest
31-03-2011, 06:43
For the weapon teams, I would say they are deployed/held in reserve with the parent unit. Its an upgrade to the unit, if they could be held in reserve alone so could a commandgroup as thats also an upgrade..

Bell/Furnance is a special mount for the seer/priest. Units are placed with any characters inside them. Or else a High Elf Pince on a dragon could be placed apart from each other. And that would be quite silly.

AMWOOD co
31-03-2011, 07:47
Isn't there an FAQ entry in the rulebook Errata about characters that must be deployed with units? (checks)...Yeah, p4 of the FAQ, last question. I think that's what you want.

Kalandros
31-03-2011, 09:18
The very rules of Reserves used by Meeting Engagement tell you to place characters in the units before seeing who is in reserve.

So you roll only once for the unit AND whichever character is initially in it.
page 142 - I think, I was reading it then went on chatting and I'm hoping this was the right number.

Off to sleep now. Its late, or early cause I can hear people getting up.
]:

Makrar
31-03-2011, 14:52
Gee why didn't I think of that? Oh thats right I did! Sadly neither the rulebook FAQ or the Skaven FAQ address this issue directly. The one FAQ entry that addresses deployment in general could be inferred to mean that the Furnace/Bell cannot be deployed at all and is thus destroyed or that it simply gets placed in reserve. If the unit it goes in is what rolled a 1 then that is ok under the latter, but if the bell/furnace itself rolled a 1 then does the unit get placed in reserve as well? Or is it just destroyed? So unless there is an Ardboys FAQ that I am missing, your post is not helpful at all, although I can safely assume that was your intent all along.

Q: If a character is required to join a unit and all units are
required to test to see if they are held in reserve or moved on from a
board edge at the start of a turn, how is this resolved? (p27)
A: Before rolling for any units you must nominate which unit
each character that is required to join a unit is going to be
deployed with and then roll once to determine if they all turn
up or all are delayed. For example a Skaven army with a grey
Seer on a Screaming Bell is playing against an Orc & Goblin
army with Skarsnik. The Grey Seer would have to nominate
which unit of Clanrats or Stormvermin he is joining before
any rolls are made to see which units are delayed by
Skarsnik’s Sneaky Schemes

As you can see it is indeed covered by the FAQ. Perhaps if you spent less time flaming me and more time to instead reading the faq’s you would of come to that conclusion.
And sorry on the short post, wasn’t trying to be unhelpful. I’ll try to avoid that in the future