PDA

View Full Version : Carnosaur Tatica

astorre
31-03-2011, 02:23
I been thinking of starting a second army for fun more than for competitiveness (though I still like to win) and I want to use a Carnosaur. Are there any tips or tricks for using one? I was thinking of running in with just the Burning Blades of Chotec and Armour of Destiny (monster hunt), or GW, Armour of Destiny, and Venom of the Firefly Frog (character hunt). Then take a Slann with Focused Rumination and Plaques of Tepok. Not really an over the top build of Slann but still would know 5 spells and get extra dice. I think that puts me right under 25% for a 3000pt army.
The biggest problem I see is getting him into combat without getting my dinosaur shot out from under him. I've been thinking of ways to keep him safe, either taking an Engine of the Gods, or Chameleon Skinks to cannon hunt and hide him away until it becomes safe to come out.
I'm debating between using Life or Light. Life could heal him if he gets hurt but Light could protect him from a lot of missile fire (Pha's Protection).
Last I was going to use 2 or 3 Stegadons to attract fire. Although this feels like its a stupid move to me.
Does anyone else have any ideas or tips/tricks?

WarhammerNoob4ever
31-03-2011, 03:01
i applaud ur want to run a carny.... i loved mine in 7th, Blade of Realities, ES and Carny made for some mad kills, absolutely loved him

but in 8th, as much as i love him, he just cant be overly competitive.....
he no longer breaks ranks, bc of Monstrous Mount rules he just isnt as tough as he used to be and despite not being a Large Target, his model is a LARGE target (with rider, he is the same size as a Steg).

but if u want to run him, do it.... its fun to watch him tear apart units and enemy characters

u could run 2 stegs in front of him and then have them charge apart and let him charge afterwards, the stegs should block LoS to him, at least its arguable

for kit, id run him Hide of the Cold One (making him T6 and 1+ save, if i remember correctly) which should help w small arms fire (str4 wounding on 6s), Ironcurse (6+ ward against warmachine) all u can do against them/or 2+ ward against fire attacks item (for flaming cannons) and then either just a halberd for Str6 or +3 attack sword for a butt load of str5 attacks (like 7-8)

Baris
31-03-2011, 03:15
One of my favorite builds for a Saurus Oldblood is to equip him with the Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent (+2 A), the Maiming Shield (+1 A) and the Carnosaur Pendant (frenzy after dealing first wound) for a total of 9 strength 5 attacks.

Even though I love the carnosaur (c'mon, whats better than riding into battle on a T-Rex?) I haven't had much luck with him due to him getting shot out from under the rider. If you want more survivability I would put your oldblood on a cold one and then put him into a unit of 9-10 cold one riders.

Hrolf the Ganger
31-03-2011, 16:45
for kit, id run him Hide of the Cold One (making him T6 and 1+ save, if i remember correctly)

Also, Hide of the Cold Ones is only for saurus leaders on foot, so no dice, I'm afraid...

Zoolander
01-04-2011, 16:54
One of my favorite builds for a Saurus Oldblood is to equip him with the Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent (+2 A), the Maiming Shield (+1 A) and the Carnosaur Pendant (frenzy after dealing first wound) for a total of 9 strength 5 attacks.

Even though I love the carnosaur (c'mon, whats better than riding into battle on a T-Rex?) I haven't had much luck with him due to him getting shot out from under the rider. If you want more survivability I would put your oldblood on a cold one and then put him into a unit of 9-10 cold one riders.

That's exactly my build as well. And you are right, the cold one is a better choice... but the Carny is such a fun model and effective killer, I have to try it some time in 8th! I know he will die, but still!

Syndtristleit
01-04-2011, 17:28
Take an Oldblood on a cold one with 2+ attack sword and 1+ attack shield and put him in a 19stroing cold one unit. Then have Slann back them up with lore of life and the item that makes friendly cav within 12" stubborn. Not really competative, but hella fun xD

Gaargod
02-04-2011, 14:35
I'd argue against giving him a specific target build. He hits like a train anyways, there's not a lot of point making him work against one group of enemies.

With that in mind, i'd say go for something like...
Sword of Battle
Armour of Destiny
Dawnstone

Once you figure in the +1 armour save for mounted, he has a 1+ rerollable/4++, with 6 S5 attacks and 4 S7 D3 wound attacks. Its actually very similar to the build i'd use for a non-mounted oldblood, gives him a lot of potential to smack stuff whilst being very hard to kill.

To be honest though, you'd do better skipping the giant dino entirely. Stick him in a saurus unit and off you go.

Whaagnomore
02-04-2011, 20:26
I have to agree with some others here, a cold one is way better and cheaper, but since you want to field a carny there's some few pointers.
1: Keep an engine within 12 and use the shield, a 5+ wardsave vs shooting might save you from those cannons.
2: Terradons are a good way to screen the carny, since he aint a large creature you can gain some cover from shooting (YES! i know he is huge, but he doesn't have the large target special rule).
3: As long as you face opponents without template weapons like cannons, giving the oldblood protection is pointless, since your opponents will almost always try to kill the carny first (and probably succeed). In such cases, try to go with stuff like sword of the hornet + potion of strength (5 str 8 ASF attacks just might kill what is trying to kill your carny first)
If against a magic heavy opponent, use some MR. If you wanna build an all-comer list, a ward-save isn't wrong.
4: The generally best way to keep a carny alive from shooting/magic is to get into melee ASAP, preferably against stuff that cant kill him fast. Large monsters with few attacks will be ripped apart in seconds.
Generally, plan ahead so that you have your carny in melee by turn 2(unless the scenario gives you good chances for first-turn charges, also try to get him to overrun/pursue into fresh enemies.
5: Lastly, if you have the points for it, nothing can beat a Slann at keeping a carny alive, either with LoL making him T9 and healing him, or using LoS to send him flying and park him somewhere behind the enemy where he is relatively safe and with a surefire second turn charge.

PS: Don't field a carny vs dwarves... just... don't...

vinny t
03-04-2011, 18:00
I would suggest something like...

Oldblood
- Armor of Destiny
- Crown of Command
- Halberd
- Dragonbane Gem
- Carnosaur

Basically the ward is to protect him, halberd to give him some good damage output, stubborn to help him if his carny is sniped out. Good all-rounder