PDA

View Full Version : to eldar or to dark eldar?

Shadowsinner
31-03-2011, 07:14
So I am considering getting into 40k for the first time and I am having trouble deciding on which army to take. I absolutely love the model range for eldar, but taking a closer look at the DE I like the aspect of the army's small selection. A third possible condiate would be space wolves

how well do these armies play? are they fun and fun to play against?

any comment would be greatly helpful

Charlie Scene
31-03-2011, 07:41
Dark Eldar. Superb model range, and well received codex.

eyescrossed
31-03-2011, 08:00
For once, I find myself agreeing with Charlie Scene :)

wilsongrahams
31-03-2011, 08:05
DE will be cheaper to start as most of the good stuff is plastic. They also have a recent codex so you won't run the risk of having to alter things. CE will be getting a new codex at some point, along with new models, so you run the risk of wasting a lot of money.

Consider Craftworld Eldar your second army in the future.

sgtspiff
31-03-2011, 08:34
DE got cool fluff and is a good army right now.

Space Wolves the same but slightly less cool IMHO.

Shamana
31-03-2011, 09:02
I think dark eldar may be tricky for a first army as afaik they are VERY unforgiving. Space wolves can be easier to get into - at the end of the day, they are reasonably priced marines and can weather a few mistakes, so if you are new to 40k they might be a slightly better choice. Whereas as the saying goes, God forgives, the Dark Eldar do not :) .

Still, if you really prefer the look of any of the races, go for it. Some might be a bit easier or harder, but ultimately it's all about having fun.

Uncletrunx
31-03-2011, 09:24
Dark Eldar was my first army (since coming back to the game; I had a plague army back in the "Lost and the Damned" era)

It took a lot of pain and some horrible losses to learn to use them but the reward was worth it. However, it's a steep learning curve and as mentioned above, it only takes one mistake and the game's over.

Telesedrin
31-03-2011, 17:26
Space Wolves were my First army, way back in 2nd Ed. SInce then I've played Sisters, then Tyranids, then Chaos Marines, and now Dark Eldar.

Dark Eldar are by far my favorite so far.

Xarian
31-03-2011, 17:28
Throwing my hat in for DE also. They're just so... evil

Raibaru
31-03-2011, 18:42
I've been in your boat repeatedly over the past 8 years or so when I quit playing trying to get back in.

I played DA and Eldar in 2nd, and switched over to DE in 3rd. The main thing I like about DE over Eldar is that they aren't looking at 50+% of their army being in metal.

If more of the Eldar range was plastic I likely wouldn't have quit in the first place. But right now, it's not worth getting into Eldar.

Rules suck, models suck, and they're expensive.

And the last thing this hobby needs is another marine player.

Pushkin
31-03-2011, 19:32
Dark Eldar, they have cool background, beautiful minis and new beautiful minis coming out in may! what more could you ask for?

Max_Killfactor
31-03-2011, 19:36
Dark Eldar. The less MEQ, the better.

Eldar are a cool army too. If you like psychic powers or don't like evil, go with them. But DE being brand new is pretty handy... plus I want DE to be successful.

Vedar
01-04-2011, 00:51
Dark Eldar are nice, new and shiney now. Considered a good codex, not over the top, Not Cheese, but solid.

Eldar are getting long in the tooth. It's solidly a 4th Ed codex that can do well, but was built in the "less is more" era of 4th ed codex's. A solid mid tier codex with some units you will see played a lot some units you will never see played. Rumor has it a new Eldar codex could be release in the next 12 months.

Space Wolves. The Cheesiest Space Marine Codex on the block. Filled will all kinds of over the top Special Characters and undercosted units. The kind of Codex that make you think they wrote it at Charlie Sheen party that included cocaine and strippers. If you like Space Marines and like to win, invest here.

Threeshades
01-04-2011, 01:17
So I am considering getting into 40k for the first time and I am having trouble deciding on which army to take. I absolutely love the model range for eldar, but taking a closer look at the DE I like the aspect of the army's small selection. A third possible condiate would be space wolves

how well do these armies play? are they fun and fun to play against?

any comment would be greatly helpful

Small selection? Dark Eldar have a lot to choose from, a lot of which doesnt even have models currently.

I think you should let their fluff be a deciding factor too. Eldar are ascetic in their life style focusing their entire energy on one thing at a time for a long period of time each in order to not lose their sould to slaanesh and/or fall into the decadence that brought about their fall.

Dark eldar thrive in their decadence from before the fall in order to not lose their soul to slaanesh. They need to experience torment both on themselves and others to feed their souls so they would not wither away and be consumed.

Basically both of them follow the same goal by opposite means.

As for purely gameplay based factors: Dark Eldar win hands down. Their codex is much better balanced and provides enough material for radically different playstyles, from the classic image of the fragile but superfast and hard hitting Raid to the slow but near unstoppable flood of living flesh that is a haemonculus coven army.

But DE being brand new is pretty handy... plus I want DE to be successful.

Me too. If I had the money to spare I would even make an army just so that GW knows that players like well-balanced codices and don't need over-the-top cheese like thunderwolves, dreadknights and Hive Tyrant Mephiston.

DarkAngelsG
01-04-2011, 01:31
Dark Eldar are, IMO, the most internally balanced 5th edition codex yet. They are also extremely hard to play well, and mistakes are not forgiven. If you were to pick them, you'd have a very very steep learning curve, but you'd be better off in the end than if you picked another dex due to the play difficulty. I love my playing my DE, they're a blast even though I lose almost every single game. I've never played against them though, so I don't know what that end is like.

Eldar are pretty good, not top tier but definitely competitive. They're not the best beginner army because, like DE, they're unforgiving, but not to such an extreme. They can still work, but you'll still have a fairly steep learning curve. I personally like fighting Eldar, mostly because Eldar players are usually good opponents.

Space Wolves... Oh please no. That's all I have to say. I hate everything about these guys. And they're horribly cheesy.

jbone
03-04-2011, 20:50
Shadowsinner, I haven't played 40k in several years. I was a Chaos Marine player for a long time. And after seeing the new Dark Eldar models I fell in love with them. I jumped right in and got the new rulebook and codex. From what I've learned on Warseer they are a deadly, yet delicate army.

misterboff
03-04-2011, 21:30
In terms of models, Dark Eldar will be getting lots of new things in June, and both Eldar and Space Wolves will be featured in the next Forge World book, so get plenty of love from them.

herostoaces
03-04-2011, 21:35
Go Space Wolves if your playing for the first time, most forgiving army when you make misstakes game wise. 2nd choice I would think Eldar and last Dark Eldar. I haven't meet a DE army yet that tied me or won. My orky boots have walked all over the DE every time. The one guy that played DE in our home games just traded the DE off on Bartertown for IG due to all his losses.The Eldar i think have the best looking models of all 3 choices your gave.

xerxeshavelock
03-04-2011, 23:34
I'm going Dark Eldar - first time playing a pointy ear. I love the options - apart from the Deldar themselves there are 7 additional species in the list. And thats not counting Wracks and Grotesques which could easily be alien/human.

ja_warria19@yahoo.com
04-04-2011, 00:02
Well I have played both space wolves (the only marine army I will consider playing) And now am collecting, rather rapidly, a decent Dark Eldar army. And truth be told, I find the DE codex to be the only one where I find my self desiring to collect literally EVERY model in the codex.

The fluff, despite some people disagreeing :shifty:, is really enticing. The army is quite fun to play, and as long as your dice rolles are average you shouldnt have much problem keeping your stuff alive. You truly can play any style of play you wish with them.

With 20 man warrior squads that can wield 2 dark lances per squad at BS 4 with ld 9 and a 4 plus cover save. You can quite easily dish out a hardy swarm army. With wytch cults, grotesques, wracks, and talos pain engines you can run an army of close combat murder. And with our Web Way Portals, you can do what (IIRC) no other army can. And that is bring the table edge with you. This is still not including the wonderful heavy support fillers we have, the elites I left out, or the homunculus coven armies you can field. You can go bike heavy, jump troop heavy, shooty swarm, shooty elite, krumpy swarm, krumpy elite, and every build in between. All the while having colorful, characterful HQs. SO my over all synopsis is if you want a fun army that isnt meq (thats MY story) And can play any way you want to play, DE is DEFINITLY a top contender. (ps. the fluff doesnt pidgeon hole you into the I murder for murders sake because I am hopelessly evil and there is no changing that hahaha necessarily)