PDA

View Full Version : 2k Night Goblin list, needs help!

Rabid Bunny 666
31-03-2011, 10:28
Right, I was planning to do a Forest Goblin army but it seemed like it would be too hard to use despite the rule of cool, so i've plumped for Night Goblins.

LORDS: - 292
*Night Goblin Warboss: Light Armour, Great Weapon, 50 points of magic items (can't find my BRB): 117
*Night Goblin Great Shaman: Level 4: 175

HEROES: - 231
Night Goblin Big Boss: Light Armour, Great Weapon: 36
Night Goblin Big Boss: Light Armour, Great Weapon: 36
Night Goblin Big Boss: BSB, Light Armour, Shield: 59
Night Goblin Shaman: 50
Night Goblin Shaman: 50

CORE: - 975
40 Night Goblins: Spears, Full Command, Nettas, 3 Fanatics: 270
20 Night Goblins: Shortbows, Standard, 3 Fanatics: 145

SPECIAL: - 315
3 Trolls: 105

RARE: - 130
Mangler Squig: 65

=1943

The general plan of this army is to push forwards using the Spearmen blocks to push forwards, unleash alot of Fanatics to damage the enemy, then hold enemies in place whilst the Trolls flank. I do need something to counter skirmishers and flyers as they'd mess with my Fanatic release.

Yowzo
31-03-2011, 11:29
I'm not too keen on spears on gobbos, as they won't really kill much. I'd rather go HW+shield for the ward save.

Also, 3 fanatics on the archer unit seem too much for me. Same for the standard, if you don't plan them to get in combat that standard and one less fanatic saves you 35 pts per unit to, say, boost the shamans lv2 each.

You'll have a hard time managing those trolls effectively, those are 3 different units and even within the warboss range they'll be checking stupidity on 7s, which means half of the time they won't.

Put them 6 or even 9 in a big unit and keep the general and bsb close.

Manglers are perfectly good flank covers, and doom divers (2, 3, even 4) will add a little punch to soften armored units or deal with pesky skirmishers.

I'm sure the list is themed and fun to play, but you'll miss having a few more hard hitters.

drear
31-03-2011, 11:43
id giove the lvl 4 a ward save, as he will aid your magic no end , and you dont want him dying early on.

also your bsb has no magical items anyway..so why not add a magic banner? leadership banner , stick him with the genral in a 40 strong unit and suddenly your ld 8 with a re-roll.

if you arent to picky of the strict theme, make him a common goblin and you have ld 9 goblins.
maybe merge the units into a block of 100?

doom divers definitly and make the trolls 1 unit, or two, but definitly not three.

Keith_Lupton
31-03-2011, 14:10
I'm not too keen on spears on gobbos, as they won't really kill much. I'd rather go HW+shield for the ward save.
I'm sure the list is themed and fun to play, but you'll miss having a few more hard hitters.

With spears and a horde formation they can be murder. I use a 50 man block of Night Goblins and that is a lot of attacks. 4 ranks of attacks on the defensive. 3 on the charge.
The 6+ ward imo really isnt a replacement for dice in your hands.
I couldnt agree more that your missing hard hitting units. Your special and rare units are very random. You need something certain to dish out the pain.
The trolls are excellent. But they have such a low leadership even with a NG Warboss within 12". Id be very worried about your stupidity tests.

sssk
31-03-2011, 14:35
LORDS: - 292
*Night Goblin Warboss: Light Armour, Great Weapon, 50 points of magic items (can't find my BRB): 117-----------------------I'd give him a 4+ ward

*Night Goblin Great Shaman: Level 4: 175----------------fine

HEROES: - 231
Night Goblin Big Boss: Light Armour, Great Weapon: 36-----------------drop the armour (it doesn't get you any benefit as most stuff which will hurt the big boss, will negate the armour)

Night Goblin Big Boss: Light Armour, Great Weapon: 36------------------drop the armour

Night Goblin Big Boss: BSB, Light Armour, Shield: 59--------------I'd give him a 4+ ward

Night Goblin Shaman: 50---------------------at this points level, I'd either take the level 4 OR a hand full (3 or 4) level 1s, not both
Night Goblin Shaman: 50--------------------------same as above

Commented in the quote

CORE: - 975

You're new to greenskins aren't you? Everyone starts off jumping head first into a bath of fanatics. They simply aren't that good. I put one fanatic in each big unit, and I'm generally happy with them. Also I would remove one unit of 20 and beef the big units up to 50 each. With the points saved from removing all of the fanatics, you could get yourself another unit of 50 gobbos and still have some points left over!!!

So your units would look like:
3 x 50 night goblins: spears, full command, nets, 1 fanatic
2 x 20 night goblins: shortbows, standard (maybe musician too)

SPECIAL: - 315

I'd combine 2 of these, so you have a unit of 6 and a unit of 3 (that's exactly what I use)

RARE: - 130

I'm not keen on manglers, far too expensive, die far too easily.

So if you were to remove the level 1 shamen, manglers (at least one of them), and fanatics, you should have plenty left over for a rock lobba and a doom diver (both converted with night gobbo crew if you so wish), and maybe even some naked wolf riders, which I think would do far better.

So my version of your army would look like:

Night Goblin Warboss: Light Armour, Great Weapon, armour of destiny
Night Goblin Great Shaman: Level 4

HEROES:
Night Goblin Big Boss: Light Armour, Great Weapon
Night Goblin Big Boss: Light Armour, Great Weapon
Night Goblin Big Boss: BSB, Light Armour, Shield, talisman of preservation

CORE:
50 Night Goblins: Spears, Full Command, Nettas, 1 Fanatic
20 Night Goblins: Shortbows, Standard
20 Night Goblins: Shortbows, Standard
5 Wolf riders

SPECIAL:
6 Trolls: 105

RARE:
Rock lobba
Doom diver

Don't quote me on the points values though, I dunno if that adds up or not, but it's near to what I'd use

ShurikenSerpent
31-03-2011, 14:35
I face Night Goblins regularly, and got to say, the fanatics are the BANE OF MY LIFE. Especially when talking 3 per unit, it's such an effective charge deterrent and a great way of whittling ranks down before you start stickin' 'em with the pointy bits.

Mangler Squigs are awesome too. All that random movement trickyness can really ruin a player's day!