PDA

View Full Version : Ogre 2,500pt Tourney List

Seabo
03-04-2011, 17:44
The tourney is in 2 weeks. I am working with what I have as, unfortunately, work is going to prevent me from picking any more up until the day before....yeah, not enough time to assemble and paint lol.
Will explain the reasoning behind my choices.

Tyrant-Gutmaw, HA, Wyrdstone Necklace, Mawseeker, Sword of Striking, Sword Gnoblar (He's tough. He has a 4+Sv and 5+W. Gutmaw is there in case he gets smacked before game starts. May get Stupid on me but that's what BSB is for)
Slaughtermaster-Bloodcleaver, Halfling Cookbook (Not much to say. Good build?)
Bruiser BSB-Armour of Fortune, Mawseeker, Warrior Bane (Pretty much same reasoning as Tyrant. Warrior Bane is there just because I had 5pts and nothing to spend it on:p)
Butcher-Dispel Scroll, Ruby Ring (Some flamey goodness in case of regen)
2x6 Bulls-FC w/Lookout,LA, Ironfists
4 Ironguts-FC w/Ruenmaw, Lookout
2x3 Bulls-LA. Ironfists
20 Gnoblar Fighters-Groinbiter (For the Runemaw :D)
Scraplauncher
2x2 Leadbelchers (Redirection and shots of oppurtunity)

The core of Ironguts, 2x6 and 2x3 Bulls is kinda fixed as this is all the Bulls I have :(. I thought about 2x9 but decided that 2 smaller would be useful as flankers and warmachine/small elite hunters.

There are a few choices I have that are not in the list. Have 12 more Leadbelchers (No idea what I am going to do with those...), Gorger, and 4 Yhetees.
Suggestions and comments welcome :D

Frankanelli
04-04-2011, 15:59
from expeirence i'd say that bigger units of bulls win the day. When I was running smaller units sometimes they'd get ganged up on before i could save them and then my other units were left alone.

Have 2 units of 9 and lump the leadbelchers into a unit of 4 and use them to flank.

I found ironfists to be kind of useless if youre putting characters in the front of the units you arent getting that many extra attacks and the parry save isnt helpful when trollguts is up. plus then you dont get clubs. so if youre 3 across and a character is in the unit you only get 17 attacks and if you dont use them you get 15 armour peircing attacks, for 30 points less. It adds up to a few extra bulls or a gnoblar horde. same goes with LA, extra wounds is better and troll guts keep them alive. I know your strapped for models but rip some of those leadbelchers up and turn them into bulls.

Also the cathayan longsword is better than warrior bane i think.

Don't know if the slaughtermaster needs the cookbook and the bloodcleaver.
In my list the bsb has the flaming banner so hes got no ward save, so my slaughtermaster is in there too with skullplucker and 4+ ward so he can take challenges. hes got the halflingcookbook too. then the butcher has the blood cleaver as his protection from gut magic.

Seabo
04-04-2011, 17:17
Trying a slightly new one adding in your character suggestions Frankanelli. At least someone bothered to reply :P.

Tyrant-Sword of Striking, Armour of Silvered Steel, Talisman of Endurance, Mawseeker, Sword-Gnoblar

Slaughtermaster-Skullplucker, Talisman of Protection, Ironcurse Icon

Bruiser BSB-HA, Cathayan Longsword, HA, Banner of Eternal Flame

Butcher-Bloodcleaver, Halfling Cookbook

4 Ironguts-FCw/Runemaw, Lookout

2x9 Bulls-FCw/Lookout

20 Gnoblar Fighters-Groinbiter

Scraplauncher

4 Yhetees-Greyback

2 Leadbelchers

What do ya think now? Yhetees are there basically cause I like them? Lol, yeah, that's bout it. That and I dont have any arms to replace the Leadbelcher arms with.

Frankanelli
05-04-2011, 13:42
I have't tried yehetees yet but they should be good. throw them at things that with low leadership and they'll only be hit on 6's if the enemy fails a fear test. plus they ignore most terrain.

Dante blackfur
05-04-2011, 18:04
I have't tried yehetees yet but they should be good. throw them at things that with low leadership and they'll only be hit on 6's if the enemy fails a fear test. plus they ignore most terrain.

Ignoring Terrain is AMAZING!! its screwed my rats more then once. :p but you will never take more then a 5 to hit.

Seabo
05-04-2011, 18:56
Changed the list slightly again...

Tyrant-Sword of Striking, Gutmaw, Talisman of Endurance, Mawseeker, Ironcurse Icon, Sword-Gnoblar

Slaughtermaster-Crown of Command, Fencers Blades

Tyrant loses the 2+Sv and goes to 4+ but gets chances to regain his wounds. More back to my original setup.
Slaughtermaster gets Stubborn and will be hitting everything on 3's and it should also help survivability.

Zaknifa
06-04-2011, 04:39
Is this your entire model line up or are things able to be changed?

IF you have additional stuff I would say drop the Yhetees, I know you love them but in 8th with only impassable terrain being a problem they are not needed as they need to draw LOS through the terrain to charge through it. Also the simple fact that Yhetees are more fragile than china ware for their points. Replace them with another Scraplauncher and this should boost your list quite a bit, use a small unit of trappers to get the second scraplauncher also gives you more warmachine hunting capabilities.

The next thing is that while the Gut Maw looks great on paper once your opponent realises that you have it expect little to no challenges to be answered at all. And since you are not that hitty anything wanting to challenge your tyrant will be almost a perfect match for him.

If you want a defensive Tyrant build here is one I always use and has yet to let me down yet;

Tyrant
Trickster's Helm
Mawseeker
Heavy Armour
(Weapon of choice Magic or otherwise)

T6 that they have to re-roll successful wounds. Not much can hurt him, dragons have a 25% chance of wounding with a roll to hit compared to the previous 50%. Pretty nice in some respects.

Also I would try, if at all possible, to throw the Halfling Cookbook on the Slaughtermaster as he is your main caster, otherwise a Dispel Scroll on the Butcher may be better.

Chop off the champions from the Ironguts and Bulls (will give you another 60 points to play with), which can go toward another bulls or Ironguts. Also Lookout Gnoblars might not be needed.

The final thing you might consider is hording your bulls up and add some more bodies to it as the dropped Yhetees will give you a ton of points to play with. The horde will make your magic phase easier (less targets to cast on) and make them hit allot harder.

Zaknifa
06-04-2011, 04:50
Sorry about the double post

I found ironfists to be kind of useless if youre putting characters in the front of the units you arent getting that many extra attacks and the parry save isnt helpful when trollguts is up. plus then you dont get clubs

Actually the FAQ states that the Ogres retain their Ogre Club fi you buy the Iron Fist, so when you buy it you shoudl get three choices; 3 S4 AP Attacks, 4 S4 Attacks, 3 S4 Attacks with a 6+ parry. So it really became a pretty decent and versitle peice of equipment.

Seabo
06-04-2011, 05:26
Unfortunately I am rather limited in Ogre options lol. Trying to see if I can borrow some for the tourney.

Seabo
06-04-2011, 05:51
Well 3rd complete redo lol. Just dont have enough to Horde anything right now. Took your build for the Tyrant, Also dropped the BoEF, more survivability...I hope. Actually going to try this list out tomorrow.

Tyrant-Sword of Striking, Trickster's Helm, Mawseeker, HA

Slaughtermaster-Halfling Cookbook, Crown of Command, Wyrdstone Necklace

Butcher-Dispel Scroll, Bloodcleaver

Bruiser BSB-Greatskull, Mawseeker, HA, Cathayan Longsword

4 Ironguts-Bellower, Runemaw w/Lookout
2x9 Bulls-Bellower, Standard, Ironfists
3 Bulls-Ironfists. Bellower
20 Gnoblar Fighters-Groinbiter
8 Trappers-Snarefinger

Scraplauncher
3 Leadbelchers

Added in Snarefinger and Groinbiter as I didnt have points for anything else. As far as a 2nd Scraplauncher I have so far not had much luck with 1 so 2 is kinda not my thing lol. At least for now.

Ipphli
07-04-2011, 05:48
You could always drop the Groinbiter and Snarefinger, give your BSB the Enchanted Shield. Only costing 5 pts for +2 armor is a great deal. Also, personally I hate sending my tyrant in without a ward save, but that's just me. Also, you need a standard bearer in the Ironguts in order to take a magic standard or Lookout Gnoblar.

BigbyWolf
07-04-2011, 10:05
You could always drop the Groinbiter and Snarefinger, give your BSB the Enchanted Shield. Only costing 5 pts for +2 armor is a great deal. Also, personally I hate sending my tyrant in without a ward save, but that's just me. Also, you need a standard bearer in the Ironguts in order to take a magic standard or Lookout Gnoblar.

IIRC the enchanted shield costs more than 5 points in the OK book, so this overrides the cost in the BRB. Charmed shield is worth taking instead of the Enchanted one though.

drear
07-04-2011, 10:26
enchanted sheild isnt in the ogre book if i recall my book sitting at home. its what lead to the little arguments over whether ogres could take sheilds at all..

Ipphli
07-04-2011, 13:00
The Enchanted Shield is not in the Ogre book (one of the few books its not in) and so only costs 5 pts. I find a place for it in pretty much every ogre army I field.