PDA

View Full Version : Up-comming Tau

Pages : [1] 2

stinger989
04-04-2011, 03:52
Some new info about the upcomming tau, again this is just rumors so take as you will.

HQ choices are used to unlock units for troops, so a commander in a crisis suit unlocks crisis suits as troops, an etheral unlocks fire warriors, shaper unlocks kroot, demiurg commander for demiurg as troops.

crisis suits-
mostly same stats but now 3 wounds
come with every gun option and you can choose what weapon systems you fire every round. cost (land speeder + extra HB) per model, squad size max 5

broadsides-
can take network markerlights instead of the missiles on their arms

more later.

Eldrad
04-04-2011, 03:55
Any word on if there will be a human auxilary unit? Or human HQ?

jspyd3rx
04-04-2011, 03:57
Vhaat!! Good week for rumors and FW previews. Thanks stinger.

Olja
04-04-2011, 04:01
You can take a Demiurg commander? If that's true it is seriously cool. :cool: I probably wouldn't be the only person to build a Squat, er, I mean Demiurg army with some Tau support. Really good news, if true.:)

Joewrightgm
04-04-2011, 04:10
Don't buy the fire warriors unlocked by ethereals; That would mean the Tau have no troop units effectively.

The Dude
04-04-2011, 04:33
crisis suits-
come with every gun option and you can choose what weapon systems you fire every round. cost (land speeder + extra HB) per model, squad size max 5

Bit late for April Fools, no? :eyebrows:

GreenDracoBob
04-04-2011, 04:46
So what are the basic Tau troops if you need an Ethereal to play Fire Warriors and the Shaper to play Kroot? What spots do the former troops occupy then? That alone discredits it a bit.

And then we get the Crisis suits. So they have PR-MP-BC-Flamer-FB on every one of them? So like Obliterators? For less points than the current PR-MP-MT suit? Other leg pulled, I'm not buying it.

terradax
04-04-2011, 04:57
I agree with GreenDraco; what are Fire warriors and Kroots if you don't take an ethereal/shaper? And the Crisis/Obliterator sounds too good...

Ivellis
04-04-2011, 05:11
It honestly doesn't sound that bad to me. Still have to buy a multi-tracker to shoot two of those guns and they aren't as good as oblitz guns. And who knows how expensive that multi-tracker would be and if you could even get it in the first place.

And it would be interesting to have a codex where there is effectively no troops until you buy your HQ.

Still taking with salt obviously.

Meckboy
04-04-2011, 05:24
Some new info about the upcomming tau, again this is just rumors so take as you will.

HQ choices are used to unlock units for troops, so a commander in a crisis suit unlocks crisis suits as troops, an etheral unlocks fire warriors, shaper unlocks kroot, demiurg commander for demiurg as troops.

crisis suits-

broadsides-

more later.

How would one model EVERY weapon option on one crisis suit? I doubt they will invalidate every suit (including the FW ones).

Ethereal unlocks Fire Warriors? Yeah, gotta say not likely on these rumors.

Kalishnikov-47
04-04-2011, 05:27
He probably meant the Elite versions of Fire Warriors are unlocked by an Ethereal, and the Kroot commander makes Hounds and Oxens troops?

Chrysis
04-04-2011, 05:38
You could feasibly do something interesting with HQs determining troops on a large scale. Say you don't apply any chart slots to any units outside the HQ. When building an army you choose an HQ to lead it, and then look on a table to determine what units fall in what slots, and what units you can't take.

For example, with a crisis suit commander crisis suits would be troops, while firewarriors in devilfish would be fast attack. With an Ethereal firewarriors, demiurg and kroot would be troops but there wouldn't be access to Kroot riders or other units like that, while a Kroot Shaper as HQ would have kroot as troops and kroot riders in Heavy Support.

Of course, balancing it would be a different story and likely a nightmare.

Mr. Ultra
04-04-2011, 05:45
If that's true, amybe this means the (partial) return of the Kroot mercenary lists and the Sq... Demiurgs as a playables and full legal armies!!!!!!!!! :D:evilgrin::p:evilgrin:

Wrath
04-04-2011, 05:47
The Crisis bit is a little far fetched. The all weapons idea cropped up in the wishlist a while back so could just be pulled from it.

Over all seems kind of unlikely but would be an interesting direction to go in.

owen matthew
04-04-2011, 05:52
Maybe no troops are standard, and its a new organization set up. IE, you still need two troops, but the kind of troops you can chose are determined by HQ choice. Maybe I am looking way too into that.

I assumed he ment Crisis[ could take any gun, not that they were newer variants of oblits.

I will strangle GW if they really gave suits more W instead of BS! Boo.

Any word on release date/time?

Corbulo
04-04-2011, 06:01
Stinger if what you say is true then you are my new best friend.
3 wound Crisis-suit Troops ftw.

Sigesti
04-04-2011, 06:05
Re: ethereal being a req for fire warriors.

Perhaps there'd also be some changes to ethereals to make them a bit more desirable on the battlefield.

Commandojimbob
04-04-2011, 07:48
Crisis Suit weapom system rumour does not sound true at all - goes against the actual point of a Crisis Suit - their variety of set-ups is there because of the vast roles they are given on the battlefield.

Units of 5 and 3 wounds sounds more realistic

ghost21
04-04-2011, 09:17

crisis suits-

broadsides-

more later.

every gun option?, okay harsh, prehaps its like the old lawgiver from judge dread and the gun fires accordingly, (and you have to only model one weapon)

i had heard that the kroot and demiurg thing, but the crisis suit thingy i heard was farsight still. i had asked what they were doing regarding ethreals, and was told there not targets anymore, and apparently can get jump packs

erion
04-04-2011, 09:33
I don't think he meant every weapon option is included in the base cost of a crisis suit. I'm pretty sure it just means they're all available to buy with points.

Right now one interpretation of a Crisis suit without a multitracker is a unit with a lot of weapon options where each model can only fire one type of weapon per turn. Of course, taking multiple weapons on a crisis suit without the multitracker is just silly, but you can build them that way.

That said, five man units of Crisis suits with three wounds each would be great. Not holding my breath, but I'm looking forward to the new book now that we're on the tail end of 5th edition. Does anybody know about when it is due?

Thanatos_elNyx
04-04-2011, 09:39
If there is a Demiurg HQ and Troops, I will SO be collecting a Demiurg Army, using counts as where necessary to fill out the other slots.

Latro_
04-04-2011, 10:38
3 wounds aint great when you consider the number of krak missiles flying around the tables at the minute.

otakuzoku
04-04-2011, 11:20
3 wounds aint great when you consider the number of krak missiles flying around the tables at the minute.

so so true. T4 gets killed wiped of the map at the moment with out the inv save.

i was taking the idea that every weapon was avalabel too mean you can put SMS, CIB and Air burst on suites.

i can buy the idea of what type of primary HQ you take affecting the FOC it sounds really good

ghost21
04-04-2011, 11:39
well atm you can but 3 weapon systems on a crisis suit and theres like 5 in total?, an extra 2 doesnt seem to far fetched if they dont allow you to put drone controllers also; or shields and allow those for the shas'o (but as i understand they get 2 weapon systems, and can choose support ones in the line of shadowsun),

Latro_
04-04-2011, 11:44
whoa just had a crazy idea but there was talk about the next 40k edition start box being a bit different.

Tau and Necrons perhaps!

edit: ha, as if, but it'd be cool.

ferrus
04-04-2011, 11:45
Dog Soldiers?

x-esiv-4c
04-04-2011, 11:52
reemergenec of squats is very welcomed :)

ghost21
04-04-2011, 11:52
ive heard its "crusaders vs deamons"

daboarder
04-04-2011, 12:54
You could feasibly do something interesting with HQs determining troops on a large scale. Say you don't apply any chart slots to any units outside the HQ. When building an army you choose an HQ to lead it, and then look on a table to determine what units fall in what slots, and what units you can't take.
Of course, balancing it would be a different story and likely a nightmare.

This is basically what the old 3.5 was to chaos and I long for its return, in ballanced form of course.

ghost21
04-04-2011, 13:33
This is basically what the old 3.5 was to chaos and I long for its return, in ballanced form of course.

matt ward?

.... maybe he will not go omg uber alinz pew pew pew with this one, maybe

Thanatos_elNyx
04-04-2011, 13:35

An army with 3 wound basic troops has alot going for it ;)

ghost21
04-04-2011, 13:39

but even so you might get what 4 or 5 for 1k points? if i understand points corectly,

Ghost of War
04-04-2011, 13:45
I can vouche for Stinger as we were at Adepticon this weekend together.

Also a few things it looks like he missed.

Only the commander can take a shield generator. The shield generator functions exactly like the shadowfield for the dark eldar. 2+ until missed

Also...

Drones are no longer bought as wargear. They are bought as a unit and then divided as you see fit that the start of the match. You can mix your drones when bought for the point cost needed. This addresses the Drone Squadrens etc as an option.

So you could see who your playing and decided if your shield drones are needed more on the crisis or the broadsides.

One markerlight can fire the seekers off one model. Seekers replentish and are no longer one use items. = Skyrays will be the new WIN (only able to fire one model a round.. so no chain firing tons of missiles off a skyray)

He is right, nothing is troops until you unlock it with a HQ or character.

I was a bit stunned to hear the above, and if it wasnt from the same source as the Grey Knight rumors that Stinger had.. I would have called BS. But I would bank on it.

Tau = the death of MECH

Ivellis
04-04-2011, 14:01
I really don't understand why people think those crisis suits would be OP, their guns are no where near as good as obliterators and they are still bad at CC. (Plus still BS3 unless that changes)

Also like the idea of drones working like that very much.

And the HQ unlocking troops is great, I hope it's not used as a reason to force people to take weak HQ choices though.

Am I the only one who gets a Cruddace feel from these rumours?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
04-04-2011, 14:02
So if you could fit 18 Markerlights into a force and had 3 Skyrays, you could fire 18 Missile per turn? Ok it may be pricey, but that's going to cause some damage. Then again, Space Wolves already do Missile spam pretty well.

Shamana
04-04-2011, 14:11
I can dig some of that, and I can imagine tau fire warriors might not be subordinated to a shaper, but that would imply that you can't have a Shas'O in a crysis suit command a force composed mostly of fire warriors - members of his own caste?

Ethereals were supposed to be fairly rare and on top of the hierarchy, and not minor commissars that meddle in the affairs of every Fire warrior team. Presuming the castes didn't get a lot less autonomous than they used to be, the Aun shouldn't be babysitting every skirmish patrol. They might be placed in charge of an elite regiment of veteran FWs, kinda like a Guards unit ("Guard" as in elite, not IG), but I'd be quite confused if you actually need an ethereal to make regular fire warriors troops.

eldargal
04-04-2011, 14:12
If Ward is writing it, he did say in WD he learnt a lot about agents/HQs and how they can add variety to a force. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see him applying this in such a fashion as to have the HQ choice(s) dictating the theme of the army.

Ivellis
04-04-2011, 14:14
Also, no one said that say fire warriors couldn't be elites if you don't have an ethereal. Plus I figure it's more likely elite BS4 fire warriors ethereals can take as troops and normal fire warriors are always troops.

At least that's my hope.

GreenDracoBob
04-04-2011, 14:14
I just don't believe it at all, and don't think it fits the army. Not that it would be particularly overpowered. As a Tau player, I would absolutely love an army of three-wound Crisis suits, but the equipped-with-all-weapons, the markerlights and the seeker missiles reek of streamlining for streamlining's sake. The seeker missiles could be one-ofs, as we see in Dark Eldar, IG and on the Stormraven. Crisis suits could still be like Nobs or Paladins, and covered in options instead of magically transforming a Fusion Blaster into a Plasma Rifle.

I do like the Drones idea (like Wolf Guard). The HQ unlocking troops sounds like a cool idea, but a little too complicated to get it to work right. Plus, go look at the General forum right now. How is this going to sell Fire Warriors or Ethereals? Make people take them? Seems just overall odd.

jspyd3rx
04-04-2011, 14:18
Well if these rumors on Tau are leaking out, they are the next xenos army to be released.

eldargal
04-04-2011, 14:21
After Necrons, yes.

Vhalyar
04-04-2011, 14:25
Well if these rumors on Tau are leaking out, they are the next xenos army to be released.

Dark Eldar and Grey Knights both had plenty of rumors flying around at the same time, so that's a pretty silly conclusion.

Carlosophy
04-04-2011, 14:28
He is right, nothing is troops until you unlock it with a HQ or character.

That sounds a little.......daft. Id still vote for a DE-style list rammed with more auxiliaries and stuff nicked from Forgeworld.

Still, we could all be wrong and GW are going down a more interesting route with the Tau, what with this and the rumoured 'Jotww-style' Rail Guns.

Crisis Teams dont need making harder though, they need to be cheaper. Thus:

XV8 Crisis Team................25pts per model

WS/BS/S/T/I/A/Ld/Sv
2/3/5/4/2/2/9/3+

Composition: 1-5 Shas'ui

Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Pack)

Special Rules:
- Relentless
- Acute Senses
- Deep Strike
- Ta'lissera

Wargear:
- XV8 Crisis Suit
- Burst Cannon
- Missile Pod
- Multitracker

Options:
Any model may replace their Burst Cannon and/or Missile Pod for:
- Plasma Rifle +10pts
- Fusion Blaster +8pts
- Flamer FREE
- Cyclic Ion Blaster +12pts
- Airburster +12pts

Any Model may replace both their Burst Cannon and Missile Pod for:
- Twin-linked Plasma Rifles +12pts
- Twin-linked Fusion Blaster +10pts
- Twin-linked Burst Cannon FREE
- Twin-linked Missile Pod +5pts
- Smart Missile System +10pts
- Twin-linked Rail Rifles +10pts

Any model may replace its Multitracker with:
- Target Lock FREE
- Targetting Array +5pts

The entire squad may be armed with:
- Shield Generators +10pts per model
- Retro Thrusters +5pts per model
- Iridium Plating +5pts per model
- Stimulant Injectors +3pts per model
- Blacksun Filters +1pts per model
- Drone Controllers FREE

Character Options:
One Shas'ui may be upgraded to:
- Shas'vre 5pts

The Shas'vre may take:
- Ejection System +5pts
- Failsafe Detonator +5pts

Draconis
04-04-2011, 14:41
I can dig some of that, and I can imagine tau fire warriors might not be subordinated to a shaper, but that would imply that you can't have a Shas'O in a crysis suit command a force composed mostly of fire warriors - members of his own caste?

Ethereals were supposed to be fairly rare and on top of the hierarchy, and not minor commissars that meddle in the affairs of every Fire warrior team. Presuming the castes didn't get a lot less autonomous than they used to be, the Aun shouldn't be babysitting every skirmish patrol. They might be placed in charge of an elite regiment of veteran FWs, kinda like a Guards unit ("Guard" as in elite, not IG), but I'd be quite confused if you actually need an ethereal to make regular fire warriors troops.

True, but so are chapter masters and Mephiston. Yet we see them all the time. As for krak missiles, maybe they'll do the suits like the XV-9 where the toughness does count towards instant death. Also, it seems to me to make sense that if you want the old tau list, firewarriors and suits, you'd take a crisis commander and an ethereal. Which usually lead combats anyway. At least in all the fluff battles we read. If these rumors are true, I can't begin to say how excited I am about recollecting my tau army.

stinger989
04-04-2011, 14:53
Lol thanks gow I was gonna slowly release more but that works too. Another small part added to the shield generator is it makes the model eternal warrior until he fails his save so ignores the first instant kill. Only the team leader can take it though

Yes skyrays will be the new god tank as missiles always hit side armor so mech will be a very hard army to fight with against tau.

More to come as I get some games in against the new book.

eldargal
04-04-2011, 14:58
I don't suppose you can say for certain who the author is?

Azazyll
04-04-2011, 14:58
Anything is possible at this point - they may still be playtesting for all we know.

I buy unlockables, except for fire warriors. As with others, I hope this is some kind of elite fire warrior. I was personally hoping for a fire warrior commander not in a crisis suit, or at least one in a stealth suit.

Personally, I would love to see demiurg and shaper commanders. I would love to see a squats-and-their-mercenaries list.

With Mat Ward, anything is possible.

ghost21
04-04-2011, 15:28
That sounds a little.......daft. Id still vote for a DE-style list rammed with more auxiliaries and stuff nicked from Forgeworld.

Still, we could all be wrong and GW are going down a more interesting route with the Tau, what with this and the rumoured 'Jotww-style' Rail Guns.

Crisis Teams dont need making harder though, they need to be cheaper. Thus:

XV8 Crisis Team................25pts per model
***edited for length***

sorry to say but what i saw your waaaay off ad a zero to points costs from the version ive seen

otakuzoku
04-04-2011, 15:31
i'm getting excited now. i wonder what farsight will be like in the new dex, any clues ?

ghost21
04-04-2011, 15:34
i'm getting excited now. i wonder what farsight will be like in the new dex, any clues ?

ive heard he will make crisis suits more mele oirintaited as well as making them troops , ive also heard he will get a newer "dynamic" sculpt

Okuto
04-04-2011, 15:38
Farsight will most likely be every tau player's wet team an army of nothing but crisis suits.....it's long overdue and we all know want it.

I just want hit and run/teleport like nercons get to get outta close combat. Everything in this edition can outshoot us and then assualt us to boot so either give us something that can actually be tough(maybe squats will this role) and fight or just give us some dodad that lets us leave CQC.

Also I really want whoever wrote the DE dex to write up the Tau dex, that dex was perfect. Though I wouldn't mind Matt Ward as he'd give us a powerful dex at the expense of slaughtering our fluff

Wrath
04-04-2011, 15:41
Farsight will most likely be every tau player's wet team an army of nothing but crisis suits.....it's long overdue and we all know want it.

I just want hit and run/teleport like nercons get to get outta close combat. Everything in this edition can outshoot us and then assualt us to boot so either give us something that can actually be tough(maybe squats will this role) and fight or just give us some dodad that lets us leave CQC.

I really hope Farsight is NOT needed for the Crisis spam.

The XV9 had a novel approach to the hit and run issue. I really hope that it is adopted into the new Dex.

Xeones
04-04-2011, 15:43
These rumors are...
...unusual to say the least. but not necessarily bad

Ghost of War, can you clarify your rumor about the seekers please? What does the line quoted below mean?

(only able to fire one model a round.. so no chain firing tons of missiles off a skyray)

Does it mean that one markerlight can only call in the payload of a single vehicle (ie--if you want to fire the seekers on two 'rays you need two markerlight hits to do so)

Or did you mean that those seeker hits can only be applied to one target model? (this seems unlikely to me, but my friend is adamant that this is what you meant)

Xenthick
04-04-2011, 15:44
This has already been posted but I never saw anyone respond. Is there any idea on a rough release date?

Okuto
04-04-2011, 15:46
I really hope Farsight is NOT needed for the Crisis spam.

The XV9 had a novel approach to the hit and run issue. I really hope that it is adopted into the new Dex.

I have an odd feeling we will be forced to take him if we want all battle suit army, it'd give us a reason to buy his most likely new fancy model GW brings out for him......like the GK and their henchmen count as troops.....I can easily see this happening

But I play Mech Tau so I have nothing to worry about.....

Though it was to my understanding that tau were going to push nercon release back as Mr. Ward hasn't finished the fluff yet for the new book, the models are done from what I hear

Kellindel
04-04-2011, 15:50
If it was true that only the HQ can take a Sheild, then they would be smart to make a sheild for the other suits that only prevented insta-kills from high strength weapons. That way you're suits are still taking hits and able to fight on without someone crying foul that you're entire army is 4+(i).

Interesting rumors but we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully they fix the Pathfinder issue's since they are my favorite unit.

ForgottenLore
04-04-2011, 15:51
Maybe no troops are standard, and its a new organization set up. IE, you still need two troops, but the kind of troops you can chose are determined by HQ choice. Maybe I am looking way too into that.

So, what do you do if you have a scenario that has an alternate Force Org Chart that doesn't require an HQ?

I assumed he ment Crisis[ could take any gun, not that they were newer variants of oblits.

But that isn't what he said. He said Crisis suits "come with every gun option"

ghost21
04-04-2011, 16:04
This has already been posted but I never saw anyone respond. Is there any idea on a rough release date?

from things ive heard its tau(oct/nov) sisters(dec/jan) necrons(feb/march)

but ive also heard necrons, sisters, tau (same dates) the guys making the rods for necrons are / were in negotiations a week or so ago to supply the colours , so im not sure on how long they make boxes before release

blooddragon
04-04-2011, 16:07
I genuinely think these 'rumours' are bogus.

Shamana
04-04-2011, 16:08
Maybe that means they come in the codex with all guns available to Tau suits, including railguns... Although that can be even scarier :)

Xenthick
04-04-2011, 16:10
Hmmm....curses! I'm not finished buying my guard yet, let alone start painting them...then tomb kings are coming out next month, I wanna make a blood angels army AND THEN theres a new tau dex coming out. I don't think I've felt more of a love hate relationship with a company before.

Prodigalson
04-04-2011, 16:18
I'm buying these.

I've thought for awhile that Tau were going to get a major rules re-write, as the codex we play now still plays like the 3rd ed codex. The only changes were very minor. The new codex will change everything about Tau. This is why I don't push them at the moment, I'm trying to let my old tau knowledge leak out of my head, so I can switch over to them when their codex is re-released without the old hangups screwing with me. These rule ideas do make me want to pull out all my sky-rays and paint the turrets though. I've got three already, I'm ready to rock and roll if this informaion is true!

Remember, change is the one constant, the wise adapt.

Any more information (especially who the hell is wiritng it) would always be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Vepr
04-04-2011, 16:22
Am I the only one who gets a Cruddace feel from these rumours?

I feel sorry for the Tau already... :p

ghost21
04-04-2011, 16:26
cruddace?

not sure i understand that one

Wrath
04-04-2011, 16:27
Maybe that means they come in the codex with all guns available to Tau suits, including railguns... Although that can be even scarier :)

Still not what he said, he is saying they will work like Obliterators <SP?>. They have all weapons when deployed to the field and choose which ones to use when they want per round.

ForgottenLore
04-04-2011, 16:36
cruddace?

not sure i understand that one

Robin Cruddace, the author of the IG codex.

Draconis
04-04-2011, 16:37
But that doesnt mean it will be all the same weapons either. Remember, if its a complete re-write, it'll be unlike what we are used to. Also, the crisis suit teams won't need a shield drone if their +1 T counts towards ID like the xv-9s do. Which, after seeing how thunderwolf cav does the same thing, and GW making codexii that break the rules, I would not be suprised.

Ghost of War
04-04-2011, 16:40
Ghost of War, can you clarify your rumor about the seekers please? What does the line quoted below mean?

From my understanding ... 1 markerlight = 1 unit may use it to fire missiles. Thus 1 light = 1 skyray unloading its payload, 2 for two skyrays. Also I am pretty sure they fire from the tank so they will hit the armor the ray is facing. Stinger correct me if I am wrong?

The thing I think people are missing when they compair them to longfangs is. You can hide a skyray and have it dump its payload all day long. I used to think there was not alot of that terrian around that you could hide a vehicle behind.

THEN... I went to Adepticon.

Alot of fun stuff comming up.

Shamana
04-04-2011, 16:41
This would be... strange. They would likely cost a lot - and an army with them as troops would probably outmatch the Grey knights in the "least models you can put on the board for X points" department.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say there is a spirit of one-upmanship among GW authors ;) . Of course, I take any such rumors with a grain of salt. It might be true, but considering that the codex is likely to be around a year away, I'm not so sure.

Prodigalson
04-04-2011, 16:47
I think they are saying this:

Landspeeder+heavy bolter and they come with every weapon. You can probably model them any way you want, as it will not make any difference. I have all of mine magnatized at the moment, but after this it will not make any difference. You can fire any one gun you want. You may not even be able to purchase multi-trackers any more, or any other upgrade. They max just be 'x' points and fire any one gun you wish. That way you always have the gun you want. I'll be a little sad to see this go, but if that's the way they want to play it, that's fine.

Also, interestingly, the way the sky-ray may work, is exactly how it worked in DoW actually... and it was boss. Now all i need is the Drone Harbinger! I wonder if all the missiles will hit on a 2+ still, or if they change what they hit on. 6 2+ hit will really make mech flench, especially if the missiles come from the direction they are fired in. You can scoot around terrain, then blow something away. If I remember correctly, the vehicle itself comes with two markerlights as it is, which is pretty good.

totgeboren
04-04-2011, 16:49
They could just as well make suits into say two load-outs. One close-quarter suit, with a flamer, fusion gun and a burst cannon, and one long range firesupport version, with a plasmagun, missile pod and a burst cannon. Kinda like the difference between assault terminators and tactical terminators.

This way it will be easy for the opponent to know what they are facing, and would elegantly streamline away all the fun of configuring your own suits (grumble grumble from a grumpy chaos player).

Sounds very strange if they are supposed to have all five guns. I mean there are only slots available for 4 guns, and fluff-wise, they can only support three at the moment.

Anyway, I hope the rumours about the seekers are true. Making Tau solid against mech at range would be very healthy for the game, and put the Tau back where they belong, at the 'scarily-good-at-shooting" part of the spectrum.

stinger989
04-04-2011, 16:56
when using a markerlight it allows any unit shooting at the targeted unit a benifit.

When using a skyray to shoot at a unit with a markerlight on it, it launches one seeker missile that always hits the side armor or the unit. no line of sight required for the skyray.

Aluinn
04-04-2011, 16:58
I'm not seeing how the Crisis Suit weapons thing could possibly work as far as the actual models are concerned, even assuming that there will be new ones. They currently have five different possible weapons, seven if you count the special issue choices, and I would think if anything GW would be adding more rather than taking some away. Generic-looking weapons that could fire as anything would be very strange, and though it wouldn't flatly invalidate old models, it would come really close--something that GW is, contrary to (some) popular belief, not inclined to do.

That, along with the FW only being Troops with an Ethereal on board--What would the basic Troops choice even be in that case?--make me seriously doubt any of this.

Prodigalson
04-04-2011, 17:01
That's pretty different Stinger, but still a LOT better then itis now. I always miss with my seekers.

Is there a difference in how they work when you purchase seekers on normal vehicles?

As for the crisis suits, it would be like bolt pistol's on marines. The reason that suits have to be so perfectly modeled now has to do with their vast amount of possible weapon upgrades. If all suits have standardized gun load outs, then it doesn't matter what guns you put on them at all. Besides, we may get new suits? What if some of the guns are in built, kind of like Iron Man? More integrated weapons as opposed to guns stuck on the outside? For instance, flamers in the hands, plasma on one arm, fusion on the other, and missiles/burst on each shoulder. Sounds pretty bad news (Warmachine??) to me.

Draconis
04-04-2011, 17:12
man, wouldn't it be great if skyrays could do a barrage like DoW? Imagine....S5 AP5 Barrage X where X is the remaining amount of Seeker Missiles Remaining.... Would probably have to be the small blast template though as the big is reserved for the railgun.

Inquisitor Engel
04-04-2011, 17:18

Kroot and Fire Warrior statements make me doubt this to some extent. Fire Warriors are undoubtedly default troops, Kroot are likely to remain that way too. That said, certain commanders unlocking otherwise Elite or FA options as troops is the trend.

crisis suits-

3 Wounds makes sense. "Every gun option" does not. Especially WITH three wounds. I doubt anyone wants the Tau having an army of Obliterators. A more likely explanation would be a differentiation between offensive and support hard-points.

Theocracity
04-04-2011, 17:22
That's pretty different Stinger, but still a LOT better then itis now. I always miss with my seekers.

Is there a difference in how they work when you purchase seekers on normal vehicles?

As for the crisis suits, it would be like bolt pistol's on marines. The reason that suits have to be so perfectly modeled now has to do with their vast amount of possible weapon upgrades. If all suits have standardized gun load outs, then it doesn't matter what guns you put on them at all. Besides, we may get new suits? What if some of the guns are in built, kind of like Iron Man? More integrated weapons as opposed to guns stuck on the outside? For instance, flamers in the hands, plasma on one arm, fusion on the other, and missiles/burst on each shoulder. Sounds pretty bad news (Warmachine??) to me.

That'd make sense to me. A new model with everything in built would probably be controversial but I could see it working. If it's the same model it's a bit harder to swallow.

A crisis suit with the works would be pretty cool IMO. Especially if they give them enough non-weapon options to be interesting and different.

It would be hilarious to make fun of Obliterators, too. "Why exactly did you betray the Imperium and sacrifice your body to become a hideous gun monster? Why didn't you just build a better suit?" :D

Tastyfish
04-04-2011, 17:23
3 Wounds makes sense. "Every gun option" does not. Especially WITH three wounds. I doubt anyone wants the Tau having an army of Obliterators. A more likely explanation would be a differentiation between offensive and support hard-points.
I think this is definitely they come with every gun OPTION, not with every GUN OPTION.

Whether this means special issue is gone (something that would disappoint me to be honest, unless we get some more test bed systems for HQ), or that all the current gun options now exist as per their XV9 mass production versions and there are some new even weirder bits of kit to try out I don't know. But "option" is definitely the important word here - they come with the option for any of the guns.

Scelerat
04-04-2011, 17:24
from things ive heard its tau(oct/nov) sisters(dec/jan) necrons(feb/march)

but ive also heard necrons, sisters, tau (same dates) the guys making the rods for necrons are / were in negotiations a week or so ago to supply the colours , so im not sure on how long they make boxes before release

Wow, that is much longer than I expected! I thought all 3 of these would be released in the next 9 months or so, not 12.

ghost21
04-04-2011, 17:25
well tau are 1+ now so prehaps the shaper changes this to 1+ for kroot etc, thats what i took it as not that the other troops arnt there , just that you must have 1 squad of the aforementioned xenos

VoodooJanus
04-04-2011, 17:28
I, for one, wouldn't mind getting Ward to do the Tau codex.

So, before you go and find pitchforks with which to impale me upon, allow me to explain:

Mat Ward, in addition to doing the Daemon monstrosity in WFB (plus the variety of Marines books in 40k) also helped finish, way back when, the Wood Elves book. If he can make a book that exemplifies the subtleties of guerrilla warfare as well as the WE army book does (or rather did in 7th,) I think I can trust him to do the Tau book too.

I don't actually know who's writing the book though...

Anyhow- useful bits!

These rumors however line up with what I've heard as well (although my rumors are highly... nonspecific.) I was going to wait until I heard something a little more substantial, but since someone else found better rumors, I'll just give you all what I've heard. I heard that Crisis are going to be more expensive, but more versatile than they are now. Nothing like 'obliterator crisis' that was stated above, but still- good news for those of us who are fans of battlesuits.

I did hear, however, that Tau were designed to throw a wrench into the 'mech' metagame that's so prominent. What that means, I have no idea...

Lastly, my sources inform me that Tau are likely to be third in line for an update, which would put Necrons next, even though the rumors are rather tight lipped... followed by Witch Hunters or a Marine book, which puts a Tau release for March next year.

Theocracity
04-04-2011, 17:31

Don't forget that Oblits are defined by things that Crisis suits lack: las cannons, plasma cannons, and terminator armor. Also remember the lesson of Tyranid Warriors: 3 wounds don't signify when missiles start flying.

I'm curious to find out what the actual result will be. Either way it's interesting!

Prodigalson
04-04-2011, 17:37
If all the suits are standardized you can't would distribute anymore.... but this codex will likely come out in March, so only about six months before 6th edition 40K. My guess is that would allocation will be dispensed with in 6th ed.

Draconis
04-04-2011, 17:39
Again, I would not be suprised if the suits made them true toughness 5 and not 4(5). Then you wouldnt need to worry about instant death from fists and missiles.

ghost21
04-04-2011, 17:45
i think that would give them too much of an edge, though prehaps from the ramped up points cost per suit maybe

Hokiecow
04-04-2011, 17:53
when using a markerlight it allows any unit shooting at the targeted unit a benifit.

When using a skyray to shoot at a unit with a markerlight on it, it launches one seeker missile that always hits the side armor or the unit. no line of sight required for the skyray.

I'm having a hard time understanding how it's better except or different from the current rules except for removing the 6 seeker missile cap and hitting on sides.

Prodigalson
04-04-2011, 17:57
I don't think anyone has said that they are inscreasing in toughness at all. The only suit that does that is the XV 9. Besides the suit already increases the pilot's toughness to 4, it's built into the suit.

It hits automatically Hokiecow, that's a big deal to me. Chimera to the front is armor 12, ten to the side. Also, it may or may not even get a cover save at all, as you don't measure line of sight if you think about it. You shoot 8 pathfinders at a Manticore, hit 4, then fire 4 missiles with no cover save and hits armor 10? That's pretty awesome to me. The missiles also come back every turn. They also have unlimited range.

God I'm hoping pathfinders lose scout and get stealth and infiltrate.

ForgottenLore
04-04-2011, 17:58
I did hear, however, that Tau were designed to throw a wrench into the 'mech' metagame that's so prominent. What that means, I have no idea...

That doesn't overly surprise me. It also annoys me.

6th ed is in the pipeline, probably not too far away, and mech are likely to get somewhat nerfed in the core rules as well, so Tau will end up with a codex that is excellent at killing stuff no one is going to be taking boatloads of anymore.

ForgottenLore
04-04-2011, 18:05
They could just as well make suits into say two load-outs.

That makes a lot of sense. Modern Codexes have been having A LOT more units in them than older ones, they will want to increase the number of unit entries in this book and having 2 loadouts of crisis suits would add one without a lot of work needed.

Damn, sorry for the double post.

Perfect Organism
04-04-2011, 18:05
Maybe they will get long-ranged S 10 AP 1 guns which can hit reliably, mounted on survivable, mobile platforms and access to lots of melta weapons on fast moving units?

Tau are already perfectly capable of ripping apart mechanised armies. The only problem is that they themselves pretty much need to be mechanised, because their troops are so utterly weak. Knock a couple of points of the cost of Fire Warriors and make Kroot genuinely nasty in an assault and Tau would be a perfectly capable army in 5th edition.

Kendo
04-04-2011, 18:09
So that would suggest this would be the first codex ever written without any troops, if everythis else starts in another force org slot and is subsequently unlocked. Interesting...

megatrons2nd
04-04-2011, 18:14
I heard that Crisis are going to be more expensive, but more versatile than they are now. Nothing like 'obliterator crisis' that was stated above, but still- good news for those of us who are fans of battlesuits.

I hope they are not more expensive, they cost to much as it is.

6th ed is in the pipeline, probably not too far away, and mech are likely to get somewhat nerfed in the core rules as well, so Tau will end up with a codex that is excellent at killing stuff no one is going to be taking boatloads of anymore.

That seems to be the Tau's schtick. Get a great buff for the current game and then having the rules screw them shortly thereafter.

Prodigalson
04-04-2011, 18:15
It's not like HQ's aren't required anyway. You can't make an army with no troops, as you must take an HQ. That choice informs the rest of your army.

I've always dreamed of the same thing with Marines actually. Marines as standard. Take a Captain in scout armor, get scouts, take him in terminator, get terminators, get him a Jump pack, get Assault marines, get him a heavy weapon, get devestators, that sort of thing.

I do have a hard time seeing taking a crsisis suit commander, and not having fire warriors as troops. I'm going to pull out Tauros tonight and take a look at the cadre formations. I bet they are trying to build the codex to match the way tau should fight, with different cadre's having vastly different ways they fight.

On the flip side guys, if Tau come out in March of next year, they may well be the last codex of 5th edition, and therefore built for 6th edition. Take a look at orks, they were the last 4th ed codex, and they had 4 players just make it to the sweet sixteen at Adepticon. That's what I hope for Tau, still going good, three from their release.

ForgottenLore
04-04-2011, 18:42
It's not like HQ's aren't required anyway. You can't make an army with no troops, as you must take an HQ. That choice informs the rest of your army.

In STANDARD missions they are required, but there are variant mission types with different FOCs, some of which don't require HQ's.

Shinigami
04-04-2011, 18:54
Draconis, could you please stop posting that Crisis suits are T4(5) ?

theyre not, theyre T4, and also count as T4 for instant death,

only the XV-9 's are T5 and count as T5 for isntant death,

also, Prodigal Son, why are you certain the Tau wil be released in March? MArch would see a new wave of DE releases acording to all rumours (plastic scourges and venom and all that jazz...)

Iam really looking forward to seeing their new dex, but iam kinda sceptical of the rumours, oblit crisis suits? the whole fun of crisis suits was the whole customization of them so you could assign your own role for them,

oblitting them would take suck a whole lot of fun and flavour out of the dex :(

BramGaunt
04-04-2011, 18:57
also, Prodigal Son, why are you certain the Tau wil be released in March? MArch would see a new wave of DE releases acording to all rumours (plastic scourges and venom and all that jazz...)

He's talking about march 2012, obviously, since we already have april...
which would fit the timeframe for Tau perfectly. I don't see them much sooner.

The rumours appear to be a late april fools joke to me. It's way to early for Tau rumours to be accurate.

Theocracity
04-04-2011, 18:58
In STANDARD missions they are required, but there are variant mission types with different FOCs, some of which don't require HQ's.

Nothing a few simple house rules can't fix. If you're one of the relatively fewer people playing variant missions, a simple allowance for those units isn't out of the question.

BramGaunt
04-04-2011, 18:59
Nothing a few simple house rules can't fix. If you're one of the relatively fewer people playing variant missions, a simple allowance for those units isn't out of the question.

Tell that to tournament players. If they let you keep your face, contact me, and tell me how you avoided being mangled. I am happy to escape with my skin intact after I suggest a "fluff" list to some of my gamer friends from time to time...

Maxis Lithium
04-04-2011, 19:02
I doubt we'll see NO troops choices, except the ones that are unlocked by command choices.

I can see base Fire warriors being troops, but Elite fire warriors being moved to troops for Ethereals. I can see crisis suites moved to troops, would be interesting. I have always wanted to see a suite only force.

Useing a shaper to unlock Kroot 'options' would be a great idea, but I don't think Kroot will be take out of troops all together.

the drone rumor is cool, but some how I just don't see it. they did this in the Eldar of old with warlocks, and I don't think they're going to go back to it.

all in all, these rumors are too far fetched to be taken all together seriously I'm going to wait till we're cloer to the release date before I bank on them

VoodooJanus
04-04-2011, 19:02
The rumours appear to be a late april fools joke to me. It's way to early for Tau rumours to be accurate.

Yeah- these ones are highly specific. I heard some general 'design goal' type of things, but nothing this accurate. Besides, looking at how little has been said about Necrons or TK, both of which are closer on the horizon, I doubt this much information would have leaked already.

Of course, I'm still hopeful :).

Shinigami
04-04-2011, 19:03
aah thx Bram!

glad to hear a wise and noble cornerstone of the forum chime in :D

i must have missed the 2012 in his post, and also jsut realised i took march for may :s

if march 2012 is about right that means the dexes are printed around novembre, decembre?

wich would mean if they started it theyde be in the "throw wild ideas around" phase now?

an april fools joke mixed with wild wishlisting might be the best way to look at this yes :)

thx Bram! :D

TheRatsInTheWalls
04-04-2011, 19:06
I just want to point out that all these doubts based on how strange, overpowered, or unlikely Stinger's rumors are look remarkably similar to the doubts we all expressed over his Grey Knight leaks. Take another look at that old thread. He was pretty spot on.

Theocracity
04-04-2011, 19:08
Tell that to tournament players. If they let you keep your face, contact me, and tell me how you avoided being mangled. I am happy to escape with my skin intact after I suggest a "fluff" list to some of my gamer friends from time to time...

Tournaments have event-specific rules and house interpretations of FAQs all the time.

And I think a tourney that creates a scenario to specifically exclude a major army would be the one in a lot more trouble.

I'm not suggesting a fluff list - just a simple workaround for a potential problem with a rumored in-progress army design set to come out a year from now :P.

VoodooJanus
04-04-2011, 19:12
I just want to point out that all these doubts based on how strange, overpowered, or unlikely Stinger's rumors are look remarkably similar to the doubts we all expressed over his Grey Knight leaks. Take another look at that old thread. He was pretty spot on.

Which is why I'm not completely throwing the possibility out the window.

I hope this is mostly, but not entirely correct.

BramGaunt
04-04-2011, 19:13
aah thx Bram!

glad to hear a wise and noble cornerstone of the forum chime in :D

i must have missed the 2012 in his post, and also jsut realised i took march for may :s

if march 2012 is about right that means the dexes are printed around novembre, decembre?

wich would mean if they started it theyde be in the "throw wild ideas around" phase now?

an april fools joke mixed with wild wishlisting might be the best way to look at this yes :)

thx Bram! :D

Everyone please take under consideration that I am not talkin facts, but more likely possibilities. Of course there are always leaks, but just lets think of the Tomb Kings rumours floating around 1 year ago, that were in total contradiction to 8th edition warhammer rules. It's just to early.

Afaik the developing of a codex finishes about 4-6 months befor the actual release. This time is spent for layout, design, promotion, finishing miniatures, translation, spellchecking, and so on. so if it was march for tau they'd go to printers around january. I think. Just a guess. Big If here.

ghost21
04-04-2011, 19:15
i really hope 40k goes to percentages . and regarding tk i think whats known is out there same with necrons and honestly ive seen more sisters leaks than necron ones n there after!

Prodigalson
04-04-2011, 19:16
Yea, I meant next year. I don't have any access to anything, I just read rumors in a lot of places around the internet. Things have been pointing to Tau around that time for awhile. The only thing that sidgests a weird time frame is stickmonkey's NDA blackout time window. I'm just glad that at least it's looking more like necrons sooner > Later and that we may get sisters this year. I don't play them, but more codex's is always good.

The thing about the rules is that I think (my own supposition here) that if they are redoing 40K for 6th edition they already have a decent idea where they are going. If that's true, perhaps all of these codex's are or were in development around the same time. Hell, there were some rumors that necrons may flip with tau actually, which sugests to me that Tau may be about finished, just waiting for a release window. *shrug* We'll see. I'm glad I have pleny of Eldar to paint at the moment, at least until around novemeber, when I can pull the tau out and update the army a bit.

Wraith
04-04-2011, 19:20
Rather than pointlessly argue of the OPs original intent why not just ask for clarification of the wording of his post and wait for his answer?

Eldoriath
04-04-2011, 20:28
Rather than pointlessly argue of the OPs original intent why not just ask for clarification of the wording of his post and wait for his answer?

What? Why? It would totally ruin all the speculation and (false) rumour-spreading that we get otherwise ^^

On a related note: I really look forward to the new tau 'dex and will be fully happy if it comes out next year in march, 6 years for an update is reasnoable. In the meanwhile necrons really needs a new one badly. Really badly. Extremely badly.

Did I mention Necrons need a new 'dex badly? They do.

Tau, while quite boring competitive build, is still playable amongst friends in the way that you can make some tweaks and mustn't try and optimize it. And I still find it fun to play and have learned that I'm so well learned in the army that I can perform well with it even if it is a semi-bad/semi-avarage codex.

Hokiecow
04-04-2011, 20:39
Hoping Tau comes later doesn't necessarily mean it's more likely to fall in line with 6th ed. The codex may be done for all 3 armies. It may be just a matter of how the model development falls into place and whatever itch management/marketing wants to scratch.

ghost21
04-04-2011, 20:51
you guys honestly put to much on beancounters. and i know that these codexes are designed with 6th ed in mind

Poncho160
04-04-2011, 21:06
Looking through the previous Tau Codexes, they have received better, lighter weight armour and more sophisticated weaponary with each new edition. If this continues we could certainly be looking at Crisis suits with multiple weapon load outs or even Elites/fast attack options running aound in the armour worn by Commander Shadowsun.

Tau are all about research and innovation.

ghost21
04-04-2011, 21:12
Looking through the previous Tau Codexes, they have received better, lighter weight armour and more sophisticated weaponary with each new edition. If this continues we could certainly be looking at Crisis suits with multiple weapon load outs or even Elites/fast attack options running aound in the armour worn by Commander Shadowsun.

Tau are all about research and innovation.

the shadowsun eque armour will be shaso, el only

Azzy
04-04-2011, 22:02

If a tournament uses non-standard mission that don't require an HQ choice, the onus would be upon the tournament organizers to clarify how this affect the Tau (assuming the no Troops thing makes it past playtest to publication).

Hoping Tau comes later doesn't necessarily mean it's more likely to fall in line with 6th ed. The codex may be done for all 3 armies. It may be just a matter of how the model development falls into place and whatever itch management/marketing wants to scratch.

Assuming Necrons --> Sisters --> Tau --> 6e, Sisters and Tau will be the equivalent of Orks (90% 5e compliant) and Daemons (used some of 5e's rules like assault grenades), respectively, in terms of being in line with the next edition.

Trasvi
05-04-2011, 05:09
Whilst I don't buy the changes to crisis suits (3W/all guns), or vanilla fire warriors not being core, the others seem reasonable.

I think its important to think about what new plastic kits may be released.
I think its 99% likely that Crisis suits will get new plastics: The response to the FW suits has been so positive that I can't see GW passing that up.
If Crisis suits get redone, broadsides almost certainly will as well; most likely the crisis sprue plus another sprue as upgrade; also the Commander, though this may depend on whether new suit types become available as Commanders as well.

I can see pathfinders becoming plastic, likely with a combined box of Fire Warriors / Pathfinders.
The tanks, piranha, sniper drones, stealth suits are all fine. Vespids are not likely to get a new kit, although I would say the third plastic box would be an Auxiliary unit; possibly kroot redone with hounds, krootox and shaper all in the one plastic box, but more likely a unit of Demiurg or Gue'vesa'la (or something new).

Knowing what is likely to get repackaged should give a better insight as to what models will be getting 'super' rules - Pathfinders and Crisis suits. It also gives an indication of what units will get the 'become troops with this commander' option: Obviously if GW want to sell Crisis AND Firewarriors AND demiurg, at least one of the three would be troops by default. For this reason I doubt we'd end up with a Demiurg commander; more likely, Ethereal allows access to all the diverse allies.

Kloud13
05-04-2011, 05:40
The big thing for me that I hope they change, is I always thought it was ridiculous that my unit of Crisis Suits would take a panic test, just because a couple drones blew up. After all, isn't that the whole point of drones? To take wounds for their controlers? I just always thout Drones mixxed into a unit should NOT count when figuring out if the unit took 25% casualties.

KarlPedder
05-04-2011, 05:59
The big thing for me that I hope they change, is I always thought it was ridiculous that my unit of Crisis Suits would take a panic test, just because a couple drones blew up. After all, isn't that the whole point of drones? To take wounds for their controlers? I just always thout Drones mixxed into a unit should NOT count when figuring out if the unit took 25% casualties.

Yeah this has always annoyed me IMO all controlled drones should be ignored for all morale purposes and have bodyguard.

D503
05-04-2011, 08:16
This time is spent for layout, design, promotion, finishing miniatures, translation, spellchecking, and so on.

Really? They spellcheck new Codex? I notice glaring spelling errors in every one, not to mention WD and thier website.

ghost21
05-04-2011, 08:37
the kits that i know are done are vespid and crisis suit, i wrote before as did others, aparently they look like bees now big angry space bees

owen matthew
05-04-2011, 08:46
That doesn't overly surprise me. It also annoys me.

This was th first thing I thought of... Mech-killers! Just in time for GW to feel they have sold enough vehicle kits and switch up to 6th, with a massive swing back to infantry again... time to sell some troop boxes! Yay.

Corporeal
05-04-2011, 08:48
okay so...

here's what i've seen so far. Taken off the BoW forums. It may be true, it may be nothing but crap. Take it with a cup of salt. :)

http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/tau/forum/topic/new-codex-rumors-put-here/#post-35610

1) Kroot HQ is in the works!
2) Kroot to get own transport (devilfish will no longer beable to transport Kroot)
3) Kroot will get light armor saves (6+)
4) Kroot shaper will allow for the unit to have a special genetic trait.
5) Firewarrior carbine to get a grenade launcher (either explosive or EMP)
6) Vespids to get reworked
7) Vespids to get a Heavy unit
8) Firewarrior BS changed to 4
9) Crisis suits will get “hit and run” ability
10) Various changes to Firewarrior equipment
11) Various changes to Crisis suit equipment
12) New Prototypes
13) 4th edition prototypes will be changed to “standard” equipment for all suits
14) All HQ’s can act as a commander
15) New type of “Heavy” battlesuit (new prototype of the broadside)
16) Stealth suits will be changed to a advanced scout unit similar to pathfinders
17) Pathfinders will be changed to act as a type of Tau Commando infantry

note: it was posted on april 1, so it could be viewed as an april fools.

eldargal
05-04-2011, 08:48
Does anyone really think GW are going to want to stop selling large numbers of their more expensive kits? I'm sure Mech might be reduced in power a little but I strongly doubt 6th will be anti-mech.

ghost21
05-04-2011, 08:55
i honestly doubt it will be anti mech , ive heard that it will be more "heroic"

the post above doesnt mention demiurg(boo!),

i hadn't heard about the kroot transport , an concidering there ships are big spheres.. ball tank?

xerxeshavelock
05-04-2011, 08:58
okay so...

here's what i've seen so far. Taken off the BoW forums. It may be true, it may be nothing but crap. Take it with a cup of salt. :)

http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/tau/forum/topic/new-codex-rumors-put-here/#post-35610

2) Kroot to get own transport (devilfish will no longer beable to transport Kroot)
12) New Prototypes
13) 4th edition prototypes will be changed to “standard” equipment for all suits
16) Stealth suits will be changed to a advanced scout unit similar to pathfinders

nothing unbelievable there. Shame there's no evidence/corroboration. Vespid heavy - odd!

Commandojimbob
05-04-2011, 09:01
okay so...

12) New Prototypes

Although posted 1st April - all of the above make sense to me ! Crisis Suits with Hit & Run is something I have wanted for a long while ! Stealths are an advanced scout unit, Pathfinders are a type of Commando unit, EMP grenades for carbines again fits very well (let them Auto Glance on a 5, pen on a 6 :D) - more options of Kroot and vespids again makes a lot of sense

I hope these rumours are not April Fools - it all makes sense to me !

Flogger23
05-04-2011, 09:02

...as proven by Tyranid warrior lists which dominate the game? ;)

Seriously, I am not actually excited about the idea of 3 wound Crisis suit, if the points cost has similar increase as happened with Tyranid Warriors. It would be better if they remained 2W and cheapish.

Anggul
05-04-2011, 09:08
okay so...

12) New Prototypes

Whilst the Kroot and Vespid stuff sounds good, I really, really hope that the Fire Warrior and Path Finder changes aren't true, as it would make playing them rather boring. Instead of the current need to light up units and direct your fire well, it'll just be: Buy a few units of Fire Warriors, they're BS4 so they don't need support. It would, in my opinion, remove a lot of the fun of playing them, and put me off of them a lot.

ghost21
05-04-2011, 09:11
i wouldnt count on the bs upgrade , or the vespid heavy

Corporeal
05-04-2011, 09:14
Instead of the current need to light up units and direct your fire well, it'll just be: Buy a few units of Fire Warriors, they're BS4 so they don't need support. It would, in my opinion, remove a lot of the fun of playing them, and put me off of them a lot.

true enough. but if they're kept at WS2 and I2, they'd still get mullerd in CC

ghost21
05-04-2011, 09:17
but honestly do you think a tau can match a super human space marine in shooting?

BramGaunt
05-04-2011, 09:19
Although posted 1st April (...)

This is all there is to say about these rumours, I think.

Shamana
05-04-2011, 09:33
but honestly do you think a tau can match a super human space marine in shooting?

How about a ratling ;)? I'd be surprised if regular FW got BS 4, though. Maybe veterans who haven't reached the phase where they use suits yet, but have more advanced targetting equipment?

Commandojimbob
05-04-2011, 09:34

Do Veteran Imp Guard match Space Marines ??? No way - its a game Mechanic and actually Firewarriors would match Veteran Guardsman so why is BS4 unrealistic ???

The rumours many months ago actually had markerlights mechanics changed anyway, so if that is true, boosting FWs to BS4 is not negating markerlights, it will be a big shift in game mechanics for them.

They will still need to be mobile, they still suck in combat - but they can shoot a bit more accurately.

Commandojimbob
05-04-2011, 09:35
This is all there is to say about these rumours, I think.

Quite possibly - the best April Fools are the ones that could actually be real. Anyway so long as one of my armies gets done this year (Necrons :D ) i dont mind waiting.

BramGaunt
05-04-2011, 09:38
I'd advise to take the discussion about the Tau BS to the apropriate thread in 40k Background.

slxiii
05-04-2011, 09:40

well by now, targeting arrays should be available in pulse rifles, so yes :p
that's the thing about tau, they advance so fast that the best, rarest tech can be standard in a single codex change. Remember XV15s? top-tech stealth suits superior to anything imperial. By the last codex, they were obsolete to the tau.

ghost21
05-04-2011, 10:01
prehaps you have a point there, i remember in the very first design docs of the tau or tal then they had bs of 5 so i guess its not unreasonable , back to topic though didnt kroot have light armour anyway?

slxiii
05-04-2011, 10:03
prehaps you have a point there, i remember in the very first design docs of the tau or tal then they had bs of 5 so i guess its not unreasonable , back to topic though didnt kroot have light armour anyway?

they do, but they have to take a shaper AND pay 1 pt a model for it.

totgeboren
05-04-2011, 10:42
Mathematically, Tau Firewarriors are already better at shooting than Marines. Against T3, they are slightly worse, against T4 they are equal, against T5 they are better, and against T6 they are much better.
They are also much better vs light vehicles, and they have a longer range. And they cost alot less, percentage-wise.

There are quite a bit more factors involved in how good a unit is a shooting than just bs.

As a comparison. Ork shootaboys are about as good at shooting as Dire Avengers, if you take into account the points you spend, with the firepower you get. One has bs 2, the other bs 4.

Commandojimbob
05-04-2011, 10:49
well by now, targeting arrays should be available in pulse rifles, so yes :p
that's the thing about tau, they advance so fast that the best, rarest tech can be standard in a single codex change. Remember XV15s? top-tech stealth suits superior to anything imperial. By the last codex, they were obsolete to the tau.

Unlike the Imperium, whose technology is stagnant and goes no further (or very very slowly), the Tau constantly develops and looks to improve - it is one of the reasons why they have gone from primates to galactic empire in the time it takes the AdMech to agree to a change in design for a Boltgun.

SgtTaters
05-04-2011, 10:59
Remember XV15s? top-tech stealth suits superior to anything imperial. By the last codex, they were obsolete to the tau.

grey knights used to have the same rule, though it's been changed to a psychic power.

and I think culexus assassins still do that nightfight stuff

Ghost of War
05-04-2011, 13:06
I would say I have not heard any of the above rumors only the stuff Stinger mentioned (though I misunderstood the markerlight skyray thing - thanks Stinger).

I can say the stuff Stinger and I mentioned is no april fools joke and I would prepare your mech lists for a storm of pain come Adepticon next year.

GreenDracoBob
05-04-2011, 14:16
I definitely believe the BoW rumors more, but most of them seem very familiar. Sort of wishlisting or old rumors brought to the forefront.

And really, I agree that the BS upgrade (along with easy Crisis Troops and the potential changes to Pathfinders and Markerlights) goes counter to the way the Tau are meant to be played. More than any other army, they separate the jobs of their units. Pathfinders are not awesome commandos (i.e. IG Veterans), they help other units' shooting. Fire Warriors are not jack of all trades or great troops, they are the Scoring Units with an edge in shooting. And Battlesuits are where the good weapons reside. I suppose Eldar do this a lot too, but they do it in a more elite way.

Yeah, they could change this up a lot in the next book. I wouldn't like it. I like the way my army works now, and only want a few tweaks to make them more competitive in the current (and potentially future) editions.

As for the "Tau are innovators" thing: it's true, but we are technically stuck in 999.M41, so it seems a little odd that everything keeps changing so much all in this one year. They could roll it back and make it work, but I don't think the innovation excuse should be used to completely change the Tau every time they get a new book (or whenever Forgeworld gets the bug to make some new models - though this I appreciate more).

owen matthew
05-04-2011, 16:29
...as proven by Tyranid warrior lists which dominate the game? ;)

Seriously, I am not actually excited about the idea of 3 wound Crisis suit, if the points cost has similar increase as happened with Tyranid Warriors. It would be better if they remained 2W and cheapish.

Seriously! If they were using the extra wound they would most likely not be shooting, the only place they are remotely effective!

Thamor
05-04-2011, 16:49
Sounds interesting :)

Jebus
06-04-2011, 06:28
Looks like Cruddace/Ward/whoever is writting the new 'dex enjoyed District 9! :) I wonder if the new crisis suits are also going to have tractor beams that they can use to lob pigs at people...

My first reactions to the new rumors were negative, but it's already grown on me!

The Tau have evolved and will continue to do so at a breakneck rate...

After the disappointment of the last Tau update (because it didn't evolve much at all...) this is a solid blast of fresh air!

I hope the 'default' colour scheme is revised as well. Vomit ochre doesn't pass for desert camo, nor for interesting. I think dark grey armour with white and orange guns could look interesting :P

Commandojimbob
06-04-2011, 07:43
As for the "Tau are innovators" thing: it's true, but we are technically stuck in 999.M41, so it seems a little odd that everything keeps changing so much all in this one year. They could roll it back and make it work, but I don't think the innovation excuse should be used to completely change the Tau every time they get a new book (or whenever Forgeworld gets the bug to make some new models - though this I appreciate more).

But you only have to read the Tyranid Codex with the Tau fighting Hive Fleet Gorgan to see just how quickly the Tau can adapt - the rate in which they modified their weapons - ALL their weapons many many times - was what led them to defeating Hive Fleet Gorgan, as the fleet ran out of Bio-mass.

Also what a great codex / marketing ploy - technically GW could introduce an array of brand new weapons each codex with brand new models. Not so easy to do with the other codices.

Wolf Lord Balrog
06-04-2011, 11:59
I don't buy any of these rumors yet. Something about them just seems too ... incoherent. I'll believe more when I start seeing some corroboration from some of the old reliables around here.

Draconis
06-04-2011, 15:44
stingers been spot on before. As for the M999 thing, your all thinking way to linear. It could be the new stuff they add in has been in different parts of the empire for years. Being test and now its coming out to the field slowly.

Hashmal
06-04-2011, 16:23

No Troops at all? Odd, but honestly I could see it happening. I think it's kind of neat and represents a potential new way to view army composition. I'm all about innovation.

The ability to field full xenos mercs armies would be a big hit with the fanbase, especially older Squats players if the Demiurg rumors pan out.

I am praying for plastic space dorfs.

crisis suits-

3 Wounds I buy. Every weapon option, I don't.

broadsides-

more later.

Don't buy it, but indications that Markerlights may change drastically could sway me.

okay so...

As above, I can see this happening. Kroot lovers, rejoice.

All of this makes moderate to total sense. I wonder if the Kroot transport will be an MC?

Oh...kay... needs more clarification.

Diversity good. Vespids need some love.

Interesting. I'd have to see what Markerlights turn into before weighing in on this one. I could see it happening. before GK hitting, base stat shifts rarely happened, but the GKs in general going down to WS4 was a big change for them.

Now they just have to not get swept in combat. :p

Give us weapon options that make Firewarriors desirable again. Note: Carbines are not options.

12) New Prototypes

The rest of this seems pretty reasonable.

Personally, I hope for Demiurg armies. Tau have always been a pet love of mine, not the least because I've been able to handily show Mech Guard the door in the past playing the army for a friend. The only thing hindering me from collecting and fielding a Tau list: I absolutely hate Crisis Suit models. :(

Voss
06-04-2011, 16:25
No Troops at all? Odd, but honestly I could see it happening. I think it's kind of neat and represents a potential new way to view army composition. I'm all about innovation.

Given that the game structure centers around Troops choices for 2/3rd of the missions, it makes no sense at all.

Wrath
06-04-2011, 16:27
I don't buy any of these rumors yet. Something about them just seems too ... incoherent. I'll believe more when I start seeing some corroboration from some of the old reliables around here.

Well to be fair, these would have to be early drafts of the rules. Incoherent is probably a compliment at this point. These could just be a proof of concept pass to see if any of the changes would be fun/interesting.

I am definitely incredulous of all the rumors so far but this could be the direction 6th will take in army building. Maybe the 3 Armies currently under NDA will be the Archetypes for all the new books and that is why they seem odd.

3 Wounds I buy. Every weapon option, I don't.

Actually it is the 3 Wounds that seem odd to me. After all Oblits already have the mechanic in place. With the price of the new suit it seems like there would be fewer on the table. Combine that with how easy most other armies can field str-8+ AP3 weapons it seems, to me anyway, that it will be a blood bath.

If they come with every weapon does that mean they also have every other upgrade too, or are they even still available?

GreenDracoBob
06-04-2011, 16:44
Also what a great codex / marketing ploy - technically GW could introduce an array of brand new weapons each codex with brand new models. Not so easy to do with the other codices.

Great for getting new people or maybe even selling new models, but doesn't that also run the risk of alienating the existing players? I have been a Tau player since the beginning, and if they change my army in a big way every edition, why should I keep buying Tau stuff? I would like some consistency. Of course, unlike every other Tau fan out there, I like Crisis suits (or at least the concept, the models could use some more posable limbs).

de Selby
06-04-2011, 16:55
Given that the game structure centers around Troops choices for 2/3rd of the missions, it makes no sense at all.

Provided you take some sort of HQ (also already a requirement, in general) then you get some sort of troops to go with them. I don't see the problem.

Having said that I suspect that, if anything, the ethereal will unlock some kind of honour guard firewarriors as troops. Basic FW could always be troops and remain BS 3 (hopefully).

Trasvi
07-04-2011, 04:28
Why do we want 3 wound, more expensive suits? The majority of the time my suits die, they've been hit with a missile, lascannon or other S8+ weapon. 3W actually seems kinda redundant, especially if shield gens are being taken away.

** I can see the aforementioned team-leader-only shields being big flashy ones, like the FW commander has, and the rest of the team getting dingy normal ones.

Friedrich von Offenbach
07-04-2011, 04:35
crisis suits-

I don't get, does this mean that now Crisis suits are going to be covered with every single weapon?:eyebrows:

Inquisitor Aaron
07-04-2011, 04:50
I think he meant that theres no commander only weapons so all weapons are open to them as available options....atleast I hope they dont carry every available weapon to them, they would look quite silly :D

edited for my glaring failure in utilizing the english language

Draconis
07-04-2011, 05:01
Or just a remodel of the weapons.

Carlosophy
07-04-2011, 06:30
:Facepalm:

It means Crisis suits get to choose from every weapon, meaning the Airburster and Ion Blaster. It doesn't mean they get to 'morph' every weapon.

Glad we finally cleared that up.

ghost21
07-04-2011, 07:26
:Facepalm:

It means Crisis suits get to choose from every weapon, meaning the Airburster and Ion Blaster. It doesn't mean they get to 'morph' every weapon.

Glad we finally cleared that up.

oh okay that sounds cool

Commandojimbob
07-04-2011, 07:43
Why do we want 3 wound, more expensive suits? The majority of the time my suits die, they've been hit with a missile, lascannon or other S8+ weapon. 3W actually seems kinda redundant, especially if shield gens are being taken away.

** I can see the aforementioned team-leader-only shields being big flashy ones, like the FW commander has, and the rest of the team getting dingy normal ones.

My Crisis Suits seem to be what survives most of the time, unless I am up against a very quick force - but then again I always take shield drones. 3 wounds makes sense and I for one will gladly take it, even if they cost more - it will just mean Drones (Shield/Gun) will be even more valuable to take S8+ shots on.

ghost21
07-04-2011, 07:49
i have to say that my crisis suit commander killed a wolf lord in cc (that was kinda fun), but yeah i can see more ornate gear for Commanders in fact id count on it

Corporeal
07-04-2011, 08:02

This goes along the lines of how I always imagined how seeker missiles work; having the ability to be launched upwards, then being able to follow terrain, then at the very last moment head straight up and then straight down on top of a tank, just like modern-day cruise missiles.

otakuzoku
07-04-2011, 11:26
i thinks no troops is a bit of a misunderstanding. i think that what type of commander you chouse wil dictate what is available in the FOC. eg a crisis suit will have fire warriors but an ethereal will upgrade them to Honer guard firewarriors, kroot basic will be avalabel but you will neet to pick a kroot commander to get thinks like kroot ox and hounds there for picking you sub commander will be a very important dission

Commandojimbob
07-04-2011, 13:02
^ This

Ethereals buff Tau
Shapers/Kroot HQ buff Kroot
Demiurg HQ buff well Demiurg

Then you will get special characters that will unlock stuff - Farsight making Crisis Suits Troops - Shadowsun making Stealth suits troops etc etc etc.

Tau have very rigid structures in place, and having these type of structures in the codex could give them a real nice unique feeling.

Kloud13
07-04-2011, 13:45
I imagine a Kroot transport vehicle would be open-topped.

GreenDracoBob
07-04-2011, 14:41
Okay, so now we're just making up rumors? Fun!

Seriously, none of this is what was said in the rumors, just what people are interpreting. Crisis suits being able to take every gun option isn't what was said, it said they have every gun option. HQs don't buff units, they unlock units. This is what was said.

KarlPedder
07-04-2011, 15:16
Well lets face it if Crisis suits did have access to every weapons option they would far better live up to their name as they would be equipped to handle any situation.

Hashmal
07-04-2011, 16:25
I'd do nothing but field Crisis Suits and shout "Go-go Gadget" and a weapon type whenever I shot.

Ironhand
07-04-2011, 19:08

Seriously, none of this is what was said in the rumors, just what people are interpreting. Crisis suits being able to take every gun option isn't what was said, it said they have every gun option. HQs don't buff units, they unlock units. This is what was said.

Contrary to some people's wishful thinking, this does not necessarily mean they will be able to choose between weapons at will ala Obliterators. It's more likely to mean they can be equipped with your choice of weapons, similarly to the way it works now, just with more choices.

Wrath
07-04-2011, 20:57
Contrary to some people's wishful thinking, this does not necessarily mean they will be able to choose between weapons at will ala Obliterators. It's more likely to mean they can be equipped with your choice of weapons, similarly to the way it works now, just with more choices.

As per the OP "come with every gun option and you can choose what weapon systems you fire every round". That sounds like how Oblits work.

brigade101
07-04-2011, 21:24
Or it could be like the forge world X-9 commander rifle and a single weapon could fire a variety of different types of rounds.

Corporeal
07-04-2011, 22:35
well they'd better not be like the XV9's forgeworld have out.

As it stands, it's simply a crisis suit with a bit of extra armour and a couple of fancy guns.

and i was looking forward to them too.

GraemePaul
07-04-2011, 22:43
I imagine a Kroot transport vehicle would be open-topped.

I am hoping its not a vehicle at all but a monsterous creature instead...

MajorWesJanson
08-04-2011, 01:31
I am hoping its not a vehicle at all but a monsterous creature instead...

They could take a page from Fantasy and make a Great Knarloc kit with options for a howdah and kroot riders, a bolt thrower, or mount for a master shaper...

ForgottenLore
08-04-2011, 04:17
They seem to be doing Howdahs lately, at least in Fantasy. The Arachnarok and that new Tomb Kings sphinx, if they come out with another one soon it is going to start looking like a pattern.

GreenDracoBob
08-04-2011, 05:58

Basically, I am disinclined to believe that interpretation as if that were the case, I feel it is too subdued to be an exciting new rumor you'd tell people about. If it is just that regular Crisis Suits can now take CIB and AFP, then the OP would have said just that.

The Dude
08-04-2011, 06:44
He said they "get all weapon options" which literally means they will possess all of the options at once as standard.

In retrospect, yes, he likely meant they "get the option for all weapons"

People need to be careful with their wording ;)

Tastyfish
08-04-2011, 07:36

And that has gone through at least two people, probably at least four (Stinger, Stinger's friend, and Stinger's friend's friend who knows someone who's playtesting or in the Studio) - hence the discussion of what would otherwise seem very bizarre rules.

If HQ's unlock units or move them to different slots and provide buffs (depending on which HQ and which unit) it's easy to see how the more unusual aspect get's mentioned and the secondary effects are glossed over (is Honour Guard a buff or an unlock?). Likewise saying 'get all the weapons' could be interpreted in the same way as 'Salamanders get heavy flamers on tactical squads' - it's an option. Chinese whispers turning that to 'Crisis suits have all the weapons' is pretty close to the original but learns more towards the Obliterator interpretation.

I'm actually a little worried about Crisis suits getting the special issue weapons, partly because it makes Hazards a little less special but more it means the sprue is being recut and altered - and may no longer fit the FW kits since the one thing that would likely be rerun would be the ankles!

Though if they were scanning the FW kits in I certainly wouldn't mind, but which ones.

Carlosophy
08-04-2011, 08:23
And that has gone through at least two people, probably at least four (Stinger, Stinger's friend, and Stinger's friend's friend who knows someone who's playtesting or in the Studio) - hence the discussion of what would otherwise seem very bizarre rules.

If HQ's unlock units or move them to different slots and provide buffs (depending on which HQ and which unit) it's easy to see how the more unusual aspect get's mentioned and the secondary effects are glossed over (is Honour Guard a buff or an unlock?). Likewise saying 'get all the weapons' could be interpreted in the same way as 'Salamanders get heavy flamers on tactical squads' - it's an option. Chinese whispers turning that to 'Crisis suits have all the weapons' is pretty close to the original but learns more towards the Obliterator interpretation.

I'm actually a little worried about Crisis suits getting the special issue weapons, partly because it makes Hazards a little less special but more it means the sprue is being recut and altered - and may no longer fit the FW kits since the one thing that would likely be rerun would be the ankles!

Though if they were scanning the FW kits in I certainly wouldn't mind, but which ones.

If Hazards are in......

Perhaps GW will only include them in fluff form, as a minor experiment of one particular sept. Perhaps Crisis suits can be easily retro-fitted with their weapons and wargear?

ghost21
08-04-2011, 09:12
crisis suits plastics are being redone to be less "boxy"

EarlGrey
08-04-2011, 09:30
With the kroot and Demiurg HQ options, it almost sounds like a "dogs of war" style list rather than Tau - this surely goes against the rigid army structure of the Tau?
Maybe they would be special upgrades to a squad, kind of like Ghorros Warhoof in the Beastmen army list who is a squad upgrade, but allows you to field Centaurs as Core (troops). So you'll still have a Tau commander, and perhaps the 1+ Firewarrior as troops.

brigade101
08-04-2011, 14:53
crisis suits plastics are being redone to be less "boxy"

Jeez, I sure hope not ! EVERYTHING doesn't have to be round. Piranhas aren't exactly, Engines on the devilfish/hammer/skyray aren't. "Boxy" shoulder pads on fire and stealth teams. Pulse and fusion guns are square, so are the missile pods,missile launchers railguns and rail rifles

Never been bothered by the crisis suits save the lack of hands outside the arm sleeve, always found the FW ones rather meh except for the placement of the Broadside railguns. If they do I'm sure it is for marketing, who's gonna want to mix and match suits, they'll hope you will just buy all new ones. Any new weapons probably won't fit into the slots of the current suits.

Earthbeard
08-04-2011, 15:44
As long as they fix the ankles I'm not really that fussed :P

Draconis
08-04-2011, 15:59
I'm voting they make em all look more like the xv-9 hazards. I loved putting that one together and painting it. You can see it below.

owen matthew
08-04-2011, 18:06
That looks great Draconis!

GreenDracoBob
08-04-2011, 18:32
Yeah, I'm on team "Keep Crisis Suits the Same." At least, mostly. They just aren't particularly dynamic, and the ankles suck, but the idea is executed well. Forge World has done some great work, but my favorite of theirs is still the XV89, which is the closest to the GW Crisis suits.

As for the Hazard Suits, they have a pretty good aesthetic that fits with the Crisis suits, but there are bits and pieces that look weird like the oversized weapons and feet. I also wish they were a bit more standardized, as each of the available minis have a different head, shoulderpads and jet packs (as far as I can tell from the online images).

ForgottenLore
08-04-2011, 18:37
- this surely goes against the rigid army structure of the Tau?

What rigid army structure? The largest permanent organizational unit in the army is around 50 guys. Their entire doctrine of war is about being fluid and able to adapt to the changing situation.

Redone Crisis suits shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. They said last time that it was a toss up whether they redid crisis or stealth suits that time, combined with them wanting to get rid of the hybrid Broadside kit getting new crisis suits was a given.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense that they would be making 2-3 codex entries that are each different XV-8 configurations with different weapons and rules, and then a new kit that is designed to let you make one of each of those types of suits.

Slacker
09-04-2011, 02:55
While I have something like 20 Crisis suits (got one of the big box sets when Apocalypse dropped) the Forgeworld stuff just looks light years better and I wouldn't mind getting new suits at all.

I see Crisis suits (and correspondingly, Broadsides) getting redone, along with Pathfinders and Vespids, along with anything new we may get. I have something like six or seven thousand pounds of the buggers, so it'd be really nice if they got a decent book again-really what they need more than anything else is their points re-adjusted, things need to get cheaper desperately, Crisis suits need BS4, that sort of thing. What I can get out of my Space Marines at a set point cost and what I can do with my Tau at the same point cost isn't even a comparison.

Brotheroracle
09-04-2011, 03:40
I see the addition to of more HQ choices and more xenos is simply to make the tau seem like a bigger threat. This is something I welcome.

jspyd3rx
09-04-2011, 04:21
At least they are in the pipe. Let's hope it all pans out. Regardless, I probablywont be able to resist any new kits coming out.

OneMeanDuck
09-04-2011, 16:43
I just hope they dont mess up farsight's rules too much.. I plan on using all my existing crisis suits are elite/troop (Hopefully) crisis suits and picing up a new batch for farsights bodyguard (As long as they dont skrew up my leader!)

ghost21
09-04-2011, 16:58
theres 2 things i have heard , not sure which is accurate though

firstly that there will be more wd centric things ie new rules for units / races in wd including things (the aforementioned flyer battles) for the greater good (which honestly why i loved wd when i used to get it and when they stopped i kinda lost interest in it)

i have also heard that there wont be any new material in wd and it will just be , basically an advertising platform

Zanzibarthefirst
09-04-2011, 17:41
Has anyone played on the game Vanquish? In that the main characters gun transforms into whatever gun he wants to use.

MajorWesJanson
09-04-2011, 18:19
I'm voting they make em all look more like the xv-9 hazards. I loved putting that one together and painting it. You can see it below.

I hate the XV-9 style personally. I agree that they could use a bit of a change, but more like the XV-89 suits, not the ugly hazard suits. And the ankles could use a major fix, especially on the broadsides.

I'd like to see the Broadsides get far bulkier legs in general, maybe with stabilizer pads on the back.

verydarkshadow
09-04-2011, 18:36
theres 2 things i have heard , not sure which is accurate though

firstly that there will be more wd centric things ie new rules for units / races in wd including things (the aforementioned flyer battles) for the greater good (which honestly why i loved wd when i used to get it and when they stopped i kinda lost interest in it)

i have also heard that there wont be any new material in wd and it will just be , basically an advertising platform

See, maybe I'm just crazy, but introducing new rules for things in a monthly magazine seems like a great way of advertising your game ... :shifty:

samiens
09-04-2011, 19:10
I love the hazard suits so much that they are the only forge world I've ever built, so I desperately hope they go down that route

FabricatorGeneralMike
09-04-2011, 19:26
See, maybe I'm just crazy, but introducing new rules for things in a monthly magazine seems like a great way of advertising your game ... :shifty:

Naaaa, who would of thunk'd it? If it was profitable I am shure GW would be all over it....:rolleyes::shifty:

I really miss the WD content. That used to be 'the' way we got new units and rules. So much potential wasted. :wtf:

otakuzoku
09-04-2011, 20:20
how can anyone like the boxy crisis suites is beyond me. the long knife and broadsides far better models. and the xv9 is stunning.

since the only army i play is tau i hope the new dex is out soon. with more fantastic plastic kits. till then ive pretty much stopped playing

Inquisitor Aaron
10-04-2011, 00:46
if we do get the xv-9 I hope its the 04 varient.... it just looks stunning!

Archangelion
10-04-2011, 02:17
The thing that agrivates me most about the current suits isn't their bulky apperance, or their weak ankles that need to be pinned when broken. But their lack of pose variance without severe modeling modifications. How hard would it have been to make each arm 2 peices that can glue together at any angle? The same with the knees! I hope that GW does re-do the suits, and allows for more dynamic posses, either via the moldings they choose, or the way they supply us with the parts to make the models.

I also really enjoy the Gundam Wing-esk style of suit that Forgeworld seems to go with.

Kalishnikov-47
10-04-2011, 05:26
I hear that, I ended up drilling holes in certain areas such as the chest and buttox of my Tau suits and put them on flight stands, made each pose really look different, but at the cost of stability. I was always worried about that thing being broken.

So I look forward to a more dynamic Tau Crisis Suit.

Crazy_Irish
10-04-2011, 11:46
I bet they will also get the "new" flight stands, that came out for the DE, but arms and legs in 2 pieces would be very nice.

MajorWesJanson
10-04-2011, 15:55
how can anyone like the boxy crisis suites is beyond me. the long knife and broadsides far better models. and the xv9 is stunning.

I like the boxy style because they actually look like a combat unit. They could use some fixes to make them more dynamic, like the XV-89, but otherwise the bulky armored look feels like a combat suit.

the XV-9 hazards are ugly critters, with a needless tiny waist, random bulges all over the legs, tiny ankles, and lines that put most the mass in the top rear, making it look like it is leaning backwards, about to fall over.
The waist especially is a problem, as not only does it make a narrow, weak point, it cuts into the space where a pilot would go.

Any new suits/commander suits, I hope go the route of the Xv-89 or Shas'O R'Myr and keep the utility combat look, not the Hazard insectoid look.

Draconis
10-04-2011, 16:37
I would like to see it more like the suits in Appleseed. Its more of a high tech look than a boxy unwieldly design.

Zothos
10-04-2011, 17:13
In my opinion the suits themselves are decent. The heads however are atrocious. A huge reason the Forgeworld designs look so much better is due to the heads not looking stupid.

I will say that a move towards the bulkier XV 89 would be great. I have some now and they just look much more "Badass", which I believe is Tau for "Badass".

Warlord Gnashgrod
11-04-2011, 06:03
I will wait and see what happens. I like some of what I hear, but not all. I would rather see a T increase for the suits rather than +1 W. Especially if they're going to be able to be troops.

I'd also like to see some rules to possibly get out of hth, like hit-and-run for the suits.

Finally, to those complaining about playing variant games that don't require a HQ...you do realize 'don't require' isn't the same as 'don't allow', right? ;)

FabricatorGeneralMike
11-04-2011, 06:17
I would like to see it more like the suits in Appleseed. Its more of a high tech look than a boxy unwieldly design.

I agree 100%. I tried to model that design onto my Shas'O. It was a pain in the a$$. I really hope they go the FW route with the new crisis suits. Those suits look aces.

Darnok
11-04-2011, 07:43
Due to the thread being nothing but Crisis discussion and wishlisting...

Thread moved to 40K General.

Darnok [=I=]

Mike3791
13-04-2011, 17:12

I really like these rumors and think it could possibley make Tau Empire the most fun/interesting army to play in the game. I even believe the etheral/fire warrior rumor because fluffwise the crisis commander probably has enough to plan without worrying about FWs.. let the etherals handle the firewarrior tactia and crisis handle crisis tactica. Same applies for kroot/demiurg. If the etheral/firewarrior rumor combo is true then I believe it will apply to REGULAR firewarriors, not veterans because lets face it, the regualr firewarriors will probably be better in the next codex anyways.

As far as gameplay goes.. these 4 HQ will give the Tau different combo options to play. I figure the playstyle breakdown goes as follows:

Crisis Suits= Elite Shooters, powerful weapons/gear but fewer in number, high points cost

Firewarriors= Average Shooters, average weapons/gear but greater in number, greater volume of fire, lowish points cost

Kroot= Horde CC, lots of attacks(maybe 2 base Attack with the option to take 2CCW), no armor, dirt cheap, fast/fleet/wings. Maybe give them the option to ride knarlocs(kroot raptors) for additional points.

Demiurg= Elite CC, Heard previous rumors that their statline might look like S5 T4 with a good armour save, hopefully with 2 base attacks and power weapons(axes), ability to dig/tunnel(deepstrike) would be fluffy, kinda like fantasy dwarven miners. Slower on foot, higher points cost.

Since you can only take 2 HQs this would leave a few different combos that Tau could play which looks really fun.

owen matthew
13-04-2011, 18:16
[QUOTE=Mike3791;5461167] give them the option to ride knarlocs(kroot raptors) for additional points.

Demiurg= Elite CC, Heard previous rumors that their statline might look like S5 T4 with a good armour save, hopefully with 2 base attacks and power weapons(axes), ability to dig/tunnel(deepstrike) would be fluffy, kinda like fantasy dwarven miners. Slower on foot, higher points cost.QUOTE]

A unit like that in a Tau book would cost 30+ points a model, probably. It would be so expensive!

The bearded one
13-04-2011, 19:07
Yes, but you can roll your dice while saying with dwarfish accent: "Forward lads, let's chop up them wee lill' marines!"

worth 30 pts to me.

Tokamak
13-04-2011, 19:09
Wow, that would be one reason to start saving cash. I'm still looking for a 2nd 40k army.

If there is a Demiurg HQ and Troops, I will SO be collecting a Demiurg Army, using counts as where necessary to fill out the other slots.

I would go for a heavily themed Demiurg army, but I'm perfectly fine to include a few Tau where needed.

MajorWesJanson
13-04-2011, 21:40
Demiurg= Elite CC, Heard previous rumors that their statline might look like S5 T4 with a good armour save, hopefully with 2 base attacks and power weapons(axes), ability to dig/tunnel(deepstrike) would be fluffy, kinda like fantasy dwarven miners. Slower on foot, higher points cost.

Oh I hope that sort of statline is true. My Covenant Tau could really use a brute analogue

Mike3791
13-04-2011, 23:02
Yes, but you can roll your dice while saying with dwarfish accent: "Forward lads, let's chop up them wee lill' marines!"

worth 30 pts to me.

Aye lad, couldn't agree more!! :D

As I side note I would like to point out that the models for knarloc riders already exist with forgeworld (see here http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/KROOT/KROOT-KNARLOC-RIDERS.html )

Also demiurg were a rumor from the last Tau codex(7 years ago) too but for some reason the were never included, probably due to rush job. I am really looking forward to seeing them in the next codex!

Wow, that would be one reason to start saving cash. I'm still looking for a 2nd 40k army.

I would go for a heavily themed Demiurg army, but I'm perfectly fine to include a few Tau where needed.

Aye lad! The new Tau look like they are turning out to be a very flavorful army... can't wait :D

otakuzoku
14-04-2011, 00:09
i think one of the things that should be looked at is what is taken. and why

firewarriors cause you need troop (or kroot, personal prefrence)
crisis suites cause you have the fire power, though thay tend to be plasma rifle and missile pod builds.
rail guns s10 ap 1 i tend towards broardsides because you have more chance to hit and better survivability
and a squad of path finders.

i seldom see any thing else taken.

otakuzoku
15-04-2011, 23:09
if we do get the xv-9 I hope its the 04 varient.... it just looks stunning!

XV-9-04 i agree its the best looking of the lot. the head is the best ive seen of the xv9s and the intakes as opposed to the wings works a bit better.

would we get all weapon options in the box or one of each ?

Panzerkanzler
16-04-2011, 19:05
I just don't like the idea that you don't HAVE to pick a Tau commander for an army. If it's possible to use a midget or peacock as only commander leading Tau troops that would disgust me greatly. As far as I know only that one kroot Angkor chap was given that honour ONCE. Let's not forget thst the Tau Empire isn't a democracy and isn't cooperation among equals.

Slacker
17-04-2011, 02:14
Well, it is cooperation amongst equals...in theory. It just never works out that way, just like the Soviet Union never did.

Charistoph
17-04-2011, 03:11
I have to agree with Kanzler about having to have a Commander to state the nature of the Troops in your army at all. Strange setups like Deathwing work okay, because you already have other Troop options.

But imagine this scenario for Kill Team. Let's say, Fire Warriors, Kroot, and Crisis Suits are now both Elites. In previous codecies, you could take a Crisis Suit (for firepower) and a squad of Fire Warriors or Kroot (for warm bodies), but now you can't, since you can only take one squad of Elites now, and they're all Elites.

It's too much to be believed. But that's been said about a lot of things since the Imperial Guard.

Mike3791
18-04-2011, 04:36
I just don't like the idea that you don't HAVE to pick a Tau commander for an army. If it's possible to use a midget or peacock as only commander leading Tau troops that would disgust me greatly. As far as I know only that one kroot Angkor chap was given that honour ONCE. Let's not forget thst the Tau Empire isn't a democracy and isn't cooperation among equals.

The rumor says you need a Crisis Suit Commander to field Crisis Suits and an Etheral to field firewarriors.. so by defination no kroot/demiurg would be able to lead Tau forces as troops. If you choose to use your 2 HQ slots on Kroot&Demiurg then you void your ability to field crisis/fire warriors.

Charistoph
18-04-2011, 04:57
The rumor says you need a Crisis Suit Commander to field Crisis Suits and an Etheral to field firewarriors.. so by defination no kroot/demiurg would be able to lead Tau forces as troops. If you choose to use your 2 HQ slots on Kroot&Demiurg then you void your ability to field crisis/fire warriors.

I didn't think he meant Tau Troops (FOC slot), but Tau troops (soldiers).

Mike3791
18-04-2011, 06:42
I didn't think he meant Tau Troops (FOC slot), but Tau troops (soldiers).

Even in a scenerio like that, I believe it would be more like the Tau Empire is assisting and supporting its allies, not necessarliy being lead by them. In this situation the Tau Empire would still expect its allies(kroot/demiurg) to do the bulk of the fighting and dying by providing their own ground forces.

otakuzoku
18-04-2011, 21:25
i think you will have all the access to the basic choices like now but commanders will unlock the more advance stuff. eg you will get kroot with shapers and hounds but need a kroot commander to use kroot ox and grate karnoc and some form of kroot fast attack.
etherials i think will buff the abilities of the troops to honer guard levels.

some one who works in games workshop said there is rumours on other forums that crons and tau may be some joint realice near xmas

slingersam
18-04-2011, 21:50
heres me hoping firewarriors can buy gun drones that have heavy weapons. So that every tau is the same yet they differ by equipment

Mike3791
19-04-2011, 03:21
Also to the mods watching, can we get this thread moved back into the "rumors" section? I understand it was originally moved to "general" because the thread went a little off topic, but so do other threads and usually a warning is issued first(which I don't believe we got here).

The thread seems like its back on topic(actual rumor discussion, not wishlisting) so can we please get this moved back? Please don't melta me :D

Draconis
19-04-2011, 06:16
If the rumors are true, they are talking about letting Tau players buy a squad of mixed Drones and spreading them out before the battle like SW wolf guard. That in and of itself is pure genius.

Tastyfish
19-04-2011, 12:11
If the rumors are true, they are talking about letting Tau players buy a squad of mixed Drones and spreading them out before the battle like SW wolf guard. That in and of itself is pure genius.

Why? All I can see it doing is removing a fast attack slot.

Panzerkanzler
19-04-2011, 13:26
Why? All I can see it doing is removing a fast attack slot.

Well, it adds some flexibility and frees up a slot in the FOC. What's not to like?

Tastyfish
19-04-2011, 13:29
I thought the previous rumours said that all your drones come out of the drone squadron slot - so you get a fast attack squadron and then assign them elsewhere, losing that slot unless you keep some in as an independent drone squadron.

Can't see it really be useful flexibility, how often have you brought drones for a unit and then wished you'd given them to another when the game started?

Charistoph
19-04-2011, 16:05
It would be even better if Drone Squads were FOC-less like CSM Lesser Daemons. It would make sense since they are basically independent wargear. Then just give them rules like the Space Wolves Wolfguard, and wallah!

BilgeMonkey
20-04-2011, 06:52
I really don't understand why people think those crisis suits would be OP, their guns are no where near as good as obliterators and they are still bad at CC.

just the other week i had my solitary little stock standard crisis suit with MP. FB. take out a daemon prince of nurgle in CC. prince assaulted delt 1 wound to my suit, i attacked back hit with both on 6's wounded with both on a 5 and a 6 then he failed 2, 3+ armours and the 3+ beatdown wound (same suit had wounded it previously by shooting) to kill it NOTE: no shield gen on that suit....

following turn that same suit got tank rushed and i death or gloried and destroyed a vindicator (cannon was destroyed)

suffice to say that suit got a nice new paint job some sergeants stripes and a green stuff cigar. :D

Zweischneid
20-04-2011, 07:14
All it really needs is a new Trygon/Dreadknight-sized combat suit.. or two... or three... or ....

Draconis
20-04-2011, 07:37
From what I heard, you could buy a mixed unit of drones using a FA slot or whatnot. Then break it apart and assign them to units. This gives massive tactical diversity as you can do the seperation after you see what opponent/army your facing.

Tastyfish
20-04-2011, 07:59
From what I heard, you could buy a mixed unit of drones using a FA slot or whatnot. Then break it apart and assign them to units. This gives massive tactical diversity as you can do the seperation after you see what opponent/army your facing.

I still can't see the appeal, because it's not like drones do different things in different units. Give me an example of how you would use this to your advantage.

As for a big kit, I'd much prefer a dropship. Orca's probably too big, but am opentopped dropship for pinpoint strike drops of battlesuits would be nice. I could live with a Knarloc as well.

Thénon
20-04-2011, 08:17
Not sure if this is in the final codex but I've been told by a trusted play tester about some new flyer called a brotula (or something like that). Supposedly able to dish out more fire power than a storm raven but no transport. Has an invulnerable save

Thénon
20-04-2011, 08:19
This I supposedly tau's "omgz cool must have itz!!!1" unit like the dreadknight for gk.

MajorWesJanson
20-04-2011, 09:25
The Barracuda seems a likely adition. It's got an Ion Cannon (maybe they can add a railgun option) a pair of burst cannons and a missile system. GW can easily do like the Valkyrie and just recreate the resin model in plastic. Put it in FA, and you have a nice popular choice.

Drones I hope are treated like Fenris wolves. basically wargear you buy units, that don't count for combat resolution or morale.

Leogun_91
20-04-2011, 11:50
If Kroot and Demiurg get special leaders that allows an army of only them what are the chances Vespid get the same?
I would love to make an army of them and will hope for this.

DaHedd
20-04-2011, 12:08
Id love some new Tau stuff. Just started collecting a small force with my Son.

New Vespid, preferably in Plastic are a must imo.

Draconis
20-04-2011, 17:00
I still can't see the appeal, because it's not like drones do different things in different units. Give me an example of how you would use this to your advantage.

As for a big kit, I'd much prefer a dropship. Orca's probably too big, but am opentopped dropship for pinpoint strike drops of battlesuits would be nice. I could live with a Knarloc as well.

you could in one unit, buy 3 marker drones, 4 shield drones and 4 gun drones. All for one FOC. Now, lets say your fighting orcs, so you put the gun drones on your long range crisis suits, your shield drones on the ones that'll be on the front line and your marker drones on your broadsides. You keep your fire warriors in their transports cause your playing killpoints.

Next game rolls around and your playing against blood angels and they have alot of deepstrikers. Your playing Objectives. You put your shield drones on your broadsides to protect them, your gun drones on any crisis as the enemy is coming to you and your marker drones to your fire warriors as when you deploy them on the objectives, they can sit there and use them since they wont be moving.

In a tournie, this is especially useful as it allows you to change your army between games without changing your list.

Charistoph
20-04-2011, 19:05
That's of course assuming the squad size is increased to handle that. But if all the Drones start in a FA slot and are limited to max 8 per squad, that would be a severe nerf.

Draconis
21-04-2011, 01:37
Would depend on the army size. They'll likely put caps on it. Like 8 drones in a 1k army or 16 in a 2k or something like that.

Tastyfish
21-04-2011, 10:37
Would depend on the army size. They'll likely put caps on it. Like 8 drones in a 1k army or 16 in a 2k or something like that.

I disagree, I'm not aware of any other units that have this sort of restriction. It'd more likely be determined by the number of drone controllers in your army if there is any restriction - but then if this rumour is true (and I doubt it) then it would make sense for drone controllers to be removed as a piece of wargear (otherwise we're not really in a different situation than we are now) and it's just assumed that everyone has one as part of their comms equipment. Otherwise we've just written off independant drone squadrons that aren't carried by Pirhanas.

As for shifting drones around in your example Draconis, I still really don't see the benefit in comparison to losing a fast attack slot. It's not really flexibility you're talking about there but more making them slightly more points efficient (since you're using gun drones as shield drones cheap really).

However, I'd certainly be willing to change my mind if we see more drones with slightly different effects (potentially in different units when used with other bits of wargear, i.e shield drones can have a focused shield they used to protect suits, or in combination with an infantry carried set of Shield Amplification Projectors the bubble was extended out to cover the whole unit at 5+, flechette drones with an offensive (unit's assaulting suffer dangerous terrain checks or a defensive mode where the drone dies with a small blast so the unit can fall back automatically) - if they were a proper sideboard that altered the units they are protecting.

So could be useful, but with the current drones, the current slots and the meta-game in my area I think it falls short of genius. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Charistoph
21-04-2011, 14:28
I disagree, I'm not aware of any other units that have this sort of restriction. It'd more likely be determined by the number of drone controllers in your army if there is any restriction - but then if this rumour is true (and I doubt it) then it would make sense for drone controllers to be removed as a piece of wargear (otherwise we're not really in a different situation than we are now) and it's just assumed that everyone has one as part of their comms equipment. Otherwise we've just written off independant drone squadrons that aren't carried by Pirhanas.

Drone Controllers could be purchased to determine what units the Drones can join... But if they are changed so that you can add unlimited Drones to a squad with a DC, that could be interesting.

But I agree that parting out a wargear model (for all intents and purposes) through an FOC slot is not likely to fly. The Fenrisian Wolves don't have to be purchased in a pack first for the Wolf Lord to have them attached to themselves, and Drones have never been purchased en masse before. It's far too clunky an idea to be effective.

Tokamak
21-04-2011, 14:31
I just don't like the idea that you don't HAVE to pick a Tau commander for an army. If it's possible to use a midget or peacock as only commander leading Tau troops that would disgust me greatly.

Yes it would. Even an army full with mercenary races should have at least a Tau in chief.

Prodigalson
21-04-2011, 15:46
Drone controllers went to 0 pts in the last book. It may be that the drones can just be attached to any firewarrior, pathfinder, crisis, broadside or stealth suit. I.e. any tau unit.

otakuzoku
16-06-2011, 23:38
any new news for us tau players yet ?

Wrath
21-06-2011, 08:05
any new news for us tau players yet ?

Only thing I have seen is from the 6th Ed. rumors.

Tastyfish
21-06-2011, 11:50
3 plastic kits and 4 finecast according to the 6th ed thread.