PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels Sucessor

jdunn
04-04-2011, 05:58
Hey all, I'm writing some background on a Blood Angels successor Chapter, but I've hit a roadblock. I cannot, for the life of me, come up with any inventive names for my chapter.

And so I turn to you, my fellow Warseer-ians to post some creative ideas for names of a Blood Angels Successor. Thanks in advance!

shadowhawk2008
04-04-2011, 06:11
I'm calling mine Angels of Oblivion. The stereotype of naming them something related to blood or red or crimson or whatever was a little too bland. Plus there are many other chapters with no ties to the Blood Angels who use the name Angel in one form or other so it wasn't too bad. Lacks a slight bit of creativity but it was quite a bit of work to settle on Oblivion.

Not to mention I kind of wanted a duality between my DIY's aspects of nobility (Angels) and destruction (Oblivion) and so it was a good fit in that regards. I'd suggest something similar. DIY chapters are fun to do, especially with regards to creating their background, which is something I really like. I am actually going to be using the Angels of Oblivion in conjunction with a Raven Guard DIY chapter called Sons of Corax in a short story I am submitting to BL for the may submissions.

jdunn
04-04-2011, 06:17
Oh cool I really like that name, I wish I had thought of it first! And yes, the main problem I had was getting past the *MUST NAME IT SOMETHING WITH BLOOD OR RED OR ANGELS!!!!!* thing.

Aedes
04-04-2011, 06:17
DIY chapters are fun to do, especially with regards to creating their background, which is something I really like.

I have to agree with that-- I have a lot of fun with my DIY Blood Angels successor. I was in a bit of a silly mood when I created it, so it ended up as the "Pink Angels". Its priceless seeing the looks on all the boys faces when a girl turns up at a tournament with a army like that....:D

Friedrich von Offenbach
04-04-2011, 06:26
I have a good idea! Blood [insert noun here], I'm sure that would work!

But seriously there are some chapter name generators on the internet (just search chapter name generator) which can always be useful for inspiration.

shadowhawk2008
04-04-2011, 07:09
One good way I would suggest is giving a thought to creating a 2D table with a whole bunch of names and words like angel, doom, eagle, tiger etc etc. Then roll on that table to see what you come up with. Or you could just search for name generators on google. Also, check out the Daemon Prince name generator on the GW site. Its in the daemons articles section of 40k.

dragonet111
04-04-2011, 07:12
Yeah same story here finding the name was hardcore.

Korraz
04-04-2011, 09:19
After some thought, (and several name changes, due to other people using the same name) I called mine "Angels of Expiration."
To me, it's the perfect balance between 40k Grimdark and 40k Silly Pun.
Steal the name and I will find you. :shifty:

slingersam
04-04-2011, 10:31
How about Sanguineous Champions or something of the sort.

Wolf Lord Balrog
04-04-2011, 10:37
Crimson Dragoons? :)

Santtu
04-04-2011, 10:47
Angels Malkavian. Because Blood Angels geneseed makes you insane eventually.

Latro_
04-04-2011, 10:47
Mine are called the Iron Hearts

Painted like flesh tearers but with silver instead of black on the armour. They're an extension of a chapter mentioned in a really old space marine short story.

Here are some other ideas:
sanguine knights
gore reapers

Godzooky
04-04-2011, 10:57
The Angels of Blood? :eyebrows:

NixonAsADaemonPrince
04-04-2011, 11:04
The Angels of Blood? :eyebrows:

I know what I'm calling mine: The Blood ANGLES ;). I've got Dreadnought Acute, Assault Squad Obtuse, Assault Squad Reflex etc :).

BadOmen
04-04-2011, 11:28
The hardest part for me is deciding upon what successor my chapter should belong to. Got the name sorted, just need a successor to build a background upon.

Godzooky
04-04-2011, 11:28
I know what I'm calling mine: The Blood ANGLES ;). I've got Dreadnought Acute, Assault Squad Obtuse, Assault Squad Reflex etc :).

Isosceles Trapezoid would almost make a convincing name for a chapter master these days.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
04-04-2011, 11:31
Isosceles Trapezoid would almost make a convincing name for a chapter master these days.

If you don't mind, might pinch that name for my Mephiston stand in ;).

Latro_
04-04-2011, 11:39
i forgot one

The Attack Bats

Project2501
04-04-2011, 14:41
This could help.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/liber/CantinaChapterCreator.html

superdupermatt
04-04-2011, 15:58
This could help.

First hit.... Howling Turtles. Very scary :p

shadowhawk2008
04-04-2011, 16:03

Scary indeed. My first one was Ozone Barracudas :wtf:

I also got Atomic Amazons :wtf:

Some of these names are better suited to cartoons such as Atomic Eagles.

terradax
04-04-2011, 16:04
Haven't read through the thread, so I'll just say "Grail Knights".
There are a lot of Blood Chalices and grail icon that can be used in the army.

Another option is using a lot of Death company bits (like the shoulder pads with skulls and crosses) and build a theme around that.

BadOmen
04-04-2011, 16:09
This could help.

First hit - White Hippos!

Luckily the second hit, Thunder Krakens, more than makes up for the first.

jdunn
04-04-2011, 18:09
Ok, thanks for all the replies everyone! All your advice has been taken to heart :D

Majlis al-Jinn
04-04-2011, 19:28

That can't compare to my "Astral Rampagers". ;)

Oh, edit, this takes the cake.. the "Dancing Hands" chapter.

jdunn
04-04-2011, 19:43
Oh, edit, this takes the cake.. the "Dancing Hands" chapter.

Laughed my ass off at this.

dragonet111
04-04-2011, 19:56
I got the Ultra Bees. Beware we sting and we are Ultra

herostoaces
04-04-2011, 21:48
Hammer of Baal.

slingersam
05-04-2011, 03:10
Ouch, I wonder if they all have "jazz" hands too.

No but they do have Ice Hands. Works perfectly since vampires are Ice cold.

Just got snarling monitors Guys beware of ur screens they snarl
Edit 2: Furious Lamentors. Lamentors successor chapter

GreenDracoBob
05-04-2011, 04:29
Hammer of Baal.

That sounds more like the name of a Battle Barge or Strike Cruiser.

I'm personally working with the name Templars Encarmine due to my inability to decide on Blood Angels or Black Templars iconography. Isn't super obvious and avoids the Sanguine/Blood cliche while using another related word.

Still not sure about it though.

Wolf Lord Balrog
05-04-2011, 04:42
This could help.

This is awesome indeed. My first hit: Storm Scythes. That sounds pretty cool actually. :)

CelestialDragonKing
05-04-2011, 16:13
I love DIY anything. So much more enjoyable to use your own imagination I think.

I don't think the name has to be related to Blood Angels by using Angel or Red or Blood. It might depend on how strong you want them to have a relationship with the BA. They may have their geneseed but years of being separated from the parent chapter may have caused many changes culturally in the chapter. The Lamentors doesn't sound anything like a BA chapter to me. I thought they were Dark Angel to me. The second founding successors were directly split from the BA so they are most likely to have names related to the parent.

If you want a strong association with the BA. I wouldn't have Baal in there just because they are probably not from Baal I'd assume.

Here's some things I found in the thesaurus. The best tool. Other names for or associated words with Angel:
Seraphim
Messenger
Saint
Heaven or Heavenly
Virtue

Red names: Sanguine, Crimson, Scarlet, Carmine

Blood: Plasma, Heritage, Lineage, Ichor, Gore

So you can do Sanguine Saints, The Messengers of the Blood, Heavens Swords/Hammer, Scarlet Messengers, etc.

You can also focus on certain traits like wings so hawks, eagles, falcons, etc. So you get Red Hawks, Blood Eagles.

The fangs that BA have so Maw, Fangs, Eat, Eaters, etc.

Messiahnide
05-04-2011, 19:35
I got Skulking Turtles haha, @CelestialDragonKing crimson lineage sounds cool.

Cry of the Wind
05-04-2011, 20:12
Space Redeemers was my first hit.

For a Blood Angel successor, the words Sanguine and Encarmine have a nice ring to them. The key is to add them to something non angely. Sanguine Swords, Fury Encarmine etc.

Of course failing that the "Brawling Wizards" seems awesome...

JDman
05-04-2011, 20:26
I would name your chapter the UltraBloodAngels

slingersam
07-04-2011, 08:56
Even better Ultrawolf angelknights

So that you can use every single codex that comes out for SM

Or Ultrawolf bloodknights

Project2501
09-04-2011, 21:14
Ultradarkwolf Bloodknighttemplars does have a nice ring to it...

AmKhaibitu
10-04-2011, 05:34

I challenge your Howling Turtles to a battle with my Dancing Sons!

Npf6
10-04-2011, 07:49
Disciples of Cruor

Narogath
15-04-2011, 08:24
Nova Sisters ! No name could fit a BA successor chapter better than that !:wtf:

superdupermatt
15-04-2011, 14:10
I challenge your Howling Turtles to a battle with my Dancing Sons!

I am really considering painting a space marine green and giving it a "shell" backpack design! Ha.

Project2501
15-04-2011, 14:21
I am really considering painting a space marine green ad giving it a "shell" backpack design! Ha.

Mellennia old mutant ninja marines,
Marines in the half-shell,
Marine power!

Lol.

superdupermatt
15-04-2011, 17:22
Marines in the half-shell,
Marine power!

Lol.