PDA

View Full Version : Any rumors on 6th edition coming out towards the end of this year?

RandomThoughts
05-04-2011, 08:43
I recently had a conversation with a (not always too reliable) acquaintance who told me he'd been beta testing 6th edition rules that are supposed to come out towards the end of the year.

Is there any likelihood to this, or should I just dismiss the whole story?

Anyway, according to him, the rules he was testing replaced cover safes with to hit modifiers and there were supposedly three different sets of cc rules being testes. One was 2nd edition (apparently not much good feedback on that), one allowed the attacker to chose which model he was actually hitting, the third one was a complete redesign of the various cc weapons or something.

Not sure how likely any of that is, either, that's why I'm asking.

eldargal
05-04-2011, 08:45
All the other rumours have it towards the end of next year, which seems much more likely to say the least.

Enazel
05-04-2011, 08:56
would think next year as its 25th Anniversary of Warhammer 40k.

Warpcrafter
05-04-2011, 09:32
But, the rumor thread for it should be starting about Xmas of this year, so we can have plenty of time to obsessively complain and pick apart every scrap of information months ahead of time, like we did for 5th edition. That was fun. Where's The Dude when we need him?

Korraz
05-04-2011, 09:40
would think next year as its 25th Anniversary of Warhammer 40k.
Really? I completely forgot that.
Maybe they get cocky and try something new, being an anniversary and all...

shadowhawk2008
05-04-2011, 09:44
its only been like what... two and a half years since 5th ed came out? so no.

mrtn
05-04-2011, 10:18
It seems that new rules usually comes out in the summer, so I'd expect next summer. This doesn't mean that your friend lied to you though, more likely it's just a misunderstanding somewhere along the line.

marv335
05-04-2011, 11:18
I was told that C:GK was written to be 6th ed compliant.
6th ed, as it was told to me is going to be a minor update, mainly to the way psychic powers work.

Perfect Organism
05-04-2011, 14:08
...according to him, the rules he was testing replaced cover safes with to hit modifiers...
That would make 6th edition not backwards-compatable with most earlier codexes. That's never going to happen, as it would totally screw up GW's marketing / release system. The game designeers would never even consider doing that.

Your friend is lying.

sprugly
05-04-2011, 14:31
The most recent rumour I heard was from blood of kittens. He said summer 2012. And that would be 4 years old by then.

Sprugly

Megad00mer
05-04-2011, 15:49
Latest rumors are saying Summer 2012.

That would fit the pattern. New editions of a game seem to be a summer release. 5th Edition was Summer 2008, 8th Edition Fantasy was summer of last year.

It also fits the recent "4 year cycle" GW seems to have.

ArmyC
05-04-2011, 16:01
Summer 2012.

Cover saves in 3rd edition were 6+ to 4+, where now they are 6+ to 3+. They don't need modifiers, just a better use of current system. Typical cover saves ought to be 5+. Rare occasions grant 4+. Only prepared firing positions should gain 3+. Woods and bodies in the way ought to be 5+, and smoke ought to be 5+.

Also change the wound allocation to 3 catagories, leadership, special equipment, and standard issue. The leader is the leader. All special equipment is special. Everyone else is standard.

wyvirn
05-04-2011, 17:00
That would make 6th edition not backwards-compatable with most earlier codexes. That's never going to happen, as it would totally screw up GW's marketing / release system. The game designeers would never even consider doing that.

Your friend is lying.

Except that is exaclty what they did from 2nd->3rd. And to a lesser extent, warhammer 7th->8th. So it's not inconceivable, but I couldn't imagine it coming out before 2012 and some more codexes released. (Otherwise I'm calling 5ed the 'Marine edition')

mrtn
05-04-2011, 17:24
That would make 6th edition not backwards-compatable with most earlier codexes.
Could you explain why?

Stealin' Genes
05-04-2011, 17:32
Every edition is the marine edition, didn't you get the memo?

Having 6e be mostly a tweak to the game'd be nice. Just tone down mech a teensy bit, fix a couple of the silly things you can do with wound allocation, pledge to tone down the "and then the space marines won at everything, ever. drop pods fall, everyone dies" aspect of the fluff just a little, call it good.

Or they might pull an 8e Fantasy. Based on what I've played of 8e fantasy, that'd be a very good thing. :)

Perfect Organism
05-04-2011, 17:49
Could you explain why?
Because an awful lot of existing codexes have references to cover saves, in many cases using them as an important element of the force's defenses. Orks and Eldar would notably need re-writing before removing cover saves.

mrtn
05-04-2011, 18:32
They don't just treat them as "this effect counts as if the unit is in hard cover" or something like that? Do they mention them explicitly as "cover save 6+"?

Megad00mer
05-04-2011, 18:55
When 8th Edition Fantasy was released, each Army Book got a pretty in depth FAQ to bring it up to date with the new rules.

It's a pretty safe bet 40k will get the same treatment. Any big rules changes that invalidate wordings in the current Codices should get addressed.

xxRavenxx
05-04-2011, 19:00
Because an awful lot of existing codexes have references to cover saves, in many cases using them as an important element of the force's defenses. Orks and Eldar would notably need re-writing before removing cover saves.

No. They'd need 2 lines of text in an FAQ, reading:

"Page ** - replace "...gains a 5+ cover save" with "...counts as light cover (-1 to hit)"

Or something similar.

Given their newfound ability to perform FAQs properly (ala warhammer) there is no reason at all they cannot change cover from saves to modifiers if they so wish.

Warpcrafter
05-04-2011, 21:42
Summer 2012.

Also change the wound allocation to 3 catagories, leadership, special equipment, and standard issue. The leader is the leader. All special equipment is special. Everyone else is standard.

That is the best idea I've heard of in a long time. But how would you divide up the wounds, proportionally, or by a set formula? It would have to be something that is not open to interpretation as much as the current system.