PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Greenskin Warboss Builds!

Welfstar
05-04-2011, 14:33
Savage Orc Warboss with Fencer's Blades (WS 10) and Glittering Scales (-1 to hit in CC) bunkered in a Savage Boyz unit with a Lucky Shrunken Head Savage Shaman for the 5+ Ward synergy.

Kinda cheap, hard to hit, bit fighty with his extra attack, free-ish Ward save synergy.

Oscarius
05-04-2011, 17:07
I like the Savage Warboss with Silvered Steel, Dawn Stone and a Great Weapon. Very suriviable (2+ with re-rol/5++) and hit like a meteor with destination:your head.
Fencer's Blades goes on the Shrunked Head Great Shaman for head bashing. :D

I've also played around with a Black Orc Warboss, Dragonhelm, Amulet of Preservation and a Shield. Cheap n' cheerful, surivivable and can be killy in a pinch.

I want to try out some more killy builds, adding the Sword of Swift Slaying on a warboss will be fun.

drear
05-04-2011, 17:13
i was running grimgore, but for his cost i realised i could basically build a grimgor ironhide, with abit less str but just as survivable!

so im using:

orc warboss, warboar, la, sheild, dragon helm for a 2+ save and a 2+ flaming ward.
talismen of preservation , sword of swift striking and the other trickers shard.

hes got a really nice armour save , a flaming ward and a regular ward ( do they stack?) and is striking first with 4 str 5 attacks, + one off the boar at str 5 on the charge.

gonna stick him into a unit of 10 boarboyz with spears/sheilds and smash into stuff <:

Avian
05-04-2011, 17:59
Anyone want to suggest a combo that uses a greenskin item other than the Shrunken Head or the Axe of Stunty Bashin'?

No?

:D

a flaming ward and a regular ward ( do they stack?)
Wards never stack. In some cases, a Ward can be improved (Shrunken Head, Mark of Tzeentch, Magic Resistance), but those aren't cases of stacking.

Calvert
05-04-2011, 18:35
Just go for the dawn stone . And you surely gonna beat it .
chino hills boot camp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIu3KWZ-p_Q)

AMWOOD co
05-04-2011, 20:13
Goblin Warboss with the Wizarding Hat hiding in his bunker with the Standard of Discipline on the Battle Standard in the same bunker. It's as close to my original Double Crowned warboss from 5th as I'll get.

Welfstar
05-04-2011, 20:32
Goblin Warboss with the Wizarding Hat hiding in his bunker with the Standard of Discipline on the Battle Standard in the same bunker. It's as close to my original Double Crowned warboss from 5th as I'll get.

Heh, 5th ed. 'Double Crowned' Warboss? What was that, Amwood?

I do like the idea of the Armour of Silvered Steel-Dawnstone combo, but I've recently been using Silvered Steel-Luckstone on my (Shrunken Head Ward-boosted Savage) BSB.

But yeah, Silvered Steel-Dawnstone-Great Weapon on a Savage Warboss sounds ultra-deadly. I like it.

Malorian
05-04-2011, 22:07
I'm still loving my sword of bloodshed and potion of strength. On a savage orc warboss that's 8 str 6 attacks even without the potion in the first round.

AMWOOD co
06-04-2011, 03:47
Heh, 5th ed. 'Double Crowned' Warboss? What was that, Amwood?

Crown of Command (Stubborn, Ld10, 50 pts), Crown of Sorcery (Counts as Lvl 3 Necromancer for magic, must pass Ld test to cast spells, 125 pts), Book of Ashur (+1 Magic Lvl, choose any list, 50 pts). He's wearing 2 crowns so 'double crowned'. I'd tuck him away and let him blast things.

cagalli
06-04-2011, 04:19
Black Orc Warboss, crown of command, talisman of protection, enchanted shield, gold sigil sword.

musical
06-04-2011, 09:50
Goblin Warboss on gigantic spider (in a unit of spider rider of course). Light armour, enchanted shield (2+/6++), Sword of might. Cheap as anything.

Tedurur
06-04-2011, 11:11
Goblin Warboss on gigantic spider (in a unit of spider rider of course). Light armour, enchanted shield (2+/6++), Sword of might. Cheap as anything.

magic shield can not be used to get a parry save. Other than that, a fun build :)

sssk
06-04-2011, 11:25
magic shield can not be used to get a parry save. Other than that, a fun build :)

I'm pretty sure it can... just not when mounted...or armed with anything other than a hand weapon.

My favorite warboss build is:

Goblin warboss: 4+ ward, 4+ save

I have also considered having a backup night gobbo warboss with the wizarding hat, but I just can't quite fit him in. Maybe when I start playing 3000 point games huh?

Welfstar
06-04-2011, 13:19

Yeah, I agree, no parry. I may be wrong, don't have my book handy to check, but I'm pretty sure parry only comes into play when you pair a mundane hand weapon with a mundane shield. Don't think of the magic shield as a shield, think of it as a magic item with a restriction that prevents you from carrying a (mundane/additional) shield.

I'm still loving my sword of bloodshed and potion of strength. On a savage orc warboss that's 8 str 6 attacks even without the potion in the first round.

Wouldn't you prefer Sword of Bloodshed-Potion of Toughness and get a bit of extra protection for your Boss, Mal? Even if you're pairing him with a Shrunken Head Shaman, is a 5+ Ward enough to keep him alive?

I'm struggling a lot with equipping my three main characters. Savage Orc Warboss, Savage Orc Great Shaman/Shaman, Savage Orc Big Boss BSB. The 5+ Ward synergy's great, but I'm finding it's hard to find items to boost their regular save or otherwise make them harder to hit/harder to wound. At least not at the expense of another, if you get my meaning. Keeping all three alive's my number one concern.

Malorian
06-04-2011, 14:10
Wouldn't you prefer Sword of Bloodshed-Potion of Toughness and get a bit of extra protection for your Boss, Mal? Even if you're pairing him with a Shrunken Head Shaman, is a 5+ Ward enough to keep him alive?

No trouble keeping him alive at all, in fact unless in a challenge people don't even bother to attack him usually.

When he and his unit are in combat opponent's usually attack rank and file as they are easier to kill and these kills will give more CR and hopefully take away rank bonus/grant steadfast.

The same issue was with my dwarf lord. I never bothered putting points into extra defense (other than a shield) and instead went with a doomsday weapon.

When these characters are attacked they still have their higher WS/toughness to protect them, and even if something goes through they still have 3 wounds. If eveything works out like it should I would have broken/destroyed the opponent before they get a chance to finish the job (if they are in fact even trying).

Avian
06-04-2011, 19:47
I'm pretty sure it can... just not when mounted...or armed with anything other than a hand weapon.
Nope. That is explicitly not possible. See the magic armour page of the rulebook.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
07-04-2011, 01:09
I'm really liking a black orc with the Stunty-killing axe, Talisman of Preservation, and the Enchanted Shield. He seems survivable enough to take most challenges while fighty enough to do some wounds in or out of challenge.

AMWOOD co
07-04-2011, 01:43
I've been playing around with some unconventional ideas (conventional ideas right now are lots of A and S with a 4+ ward).

A Black Orc leading Night Goblins wearing the Trickster's Helm, the Other Trickster's Shard, a shield and either the Opal Amulet or the Dawnstone. He's effectively T6 with a 3+ save without the shield (yay nets!) and the enemy must reroll successful to wound rolls. On top of that, I take care of defence convention with The Other Trickster's Shard, making a 4+ save less effective than a 5+ (and with a great weapon, they may as well not be wearing armour). His job is to challenge things... Malorian might be a problem (Strength is too high!)

musical
07-04-2011, 13:23
So magic HW (sword of strength) + magic shield doesn't grant a parry? Ar well its only 6+ anyway, in which case I will drop the MW and give him normal spear, still S5 on charge and saving 18pts in the process.

sssk
07-04-2011, 13:45
Nope. That is explicitly not possible. See the magic armour page of the rulebook.

touche. On this point though, does anyone actually find their characters able to use parry? I have a night gobbo big boss on foot with light armour and shield (just cos I like the model), but if he wasn't there, I'd have no characters parrying. It kinda seems strange to me, as the parry is essentially a free talisman of protection (the most useless item EVER...pretty much), but then I suppose characters normally have either:

Magic weapon
Ward save item
magic armour
Great weapon

or a combination of the above, so parry is probably a bit rubbish compared to those.

Malorian
07-04-2011, 13:47
It's not so rubbish when it is free ;)

My wizard hat warboss just takes a shield to be cheap and I never complain when I make one of those 6+ parry saves :D

drear
07-04-2011, 17:08
im going to be trying out my goblin warboss with wizards hat next game..should be interesting ^_^

Lorcryst
07-04-2011, 18:10
Well, in my latest army list (inspired by Malorian) I was able to fit :

Night Goblin Warboss with Armour of Destiny and Great Weapon
Night Goblin Warboss with Great Weapon
Night Goblin Big Boss BSB with Bad Moon Banner, Light Armour and Shield
4* Malorian-pattern Night Goblin Big Bosses with Great Weapons

And all that in a 1K list ... with 2 Manglers and a 101-strong block of NGs :p

Alas, I won't be able to try that list for 2 months, exams and suchs are playing havoc with our gaming schedule ...

Welfstar
07-04-2011, 19:25
Well, in my latest army list (inspired by Malorian) I was able to fit :

Night Goblin Warboss with Armour of Destiny and Great Weapon
Night Goblin Warboss with Great Weapon
Night Goblin Big Boss BSB with Bad Moon Banner, Light Armour and Shield
4* Malorian-pattern Night Goblin Big Bosses with Great Weapons

And all that in a 1K list ... with 2 Manglers and a 101-strong block of NGs :p

Alas, I won't be able to try that list for 2 months, exams and suchs are playing havoc with our gaming schedule ...

Haha... 'Malorian-pattern Night Goblin Big Boss.' I'm glad that's caught on.

Heh... who needs a Ryza-pattern Leman Russ when you can have a Malorian-pattern Night Goblin Big Boss?

Speaking of Mal, I'm going to try his (bit crazy) Savage Warboss with Sword of Bloodshed next game. Feels weird not giving my General magical armour... hope he doesn't get his skull cracked.

Malorian
07-04-2011, 19:30
Feels weird not giving my General magical armour... hope he doesn't get his skull cracked.

The trick is not to tell your opponent ;)

Let them assume you are packing armor saves and ward saves, let him attack your troops instead, and then... EIGHT STR 6 HITS TO THE FACE!!!

Oh... his own character wants a go?... EIGHT STR 9 HITS TO THE CROTCH!!!*

*Anyone daring to take on a warboss needs to be made an example of :evilgrin:

Welfstar
07-04-2011, 19:51
Heh. No, I'd have to tell my opponent. My group plays with full disclosure.

Maybe I'll give him back his Silvered Steel-Dawnstone... :shifty:

Your 'the trick is not to tell your opponent ;)' comment's freaked me out a bit, hah.

Da GoBBo
07-04-2011, 22:52
Oh... his own character wants a go?... EIGHT STR 9 HITS TO THE CROTCH!!!

The use of potions need to be declared long before that moment though, so they'll probably pass :)