PDA

View Full Version : substitutions

bcaman
06-04-2011, 13:25
I was playing 40k with my friends last week and we discovered that a pringles tube lid makes a very good small blast template. Does anyone else have any other emergency substitutes for other stuff?

ehlijen
06-04-2011, 13:27
My hand's as long as a flamer template. Wrong shape though.

Bunnahabhain
06-04-2011, 13:33
12 tanks that are not being used + cotton wool smoke =

Instant scenery on a far too scarcely set board. Various people said it was the best board there, as it had character, and enough cover...

wyvirn
06-04-2011, 17:25
I realized that my forearm is around 22". It helped a lot with cannons and guess weaponry (Back when guessing meant something). Also, upturned bowls make pretty good hills.

Simo429
06-04-2011, 17:30
I realized that my forearm is around 22". It helped a lot with cannons and guess weaponry (Back when guessing meant something). Also, upturned bowls make pretty good hills.

I have seen people pre measuring with things like arms before in games and in my opinion its cheating.

Sabe
06-04-2011, 17:33
Lol my club store actually started carrying pringles purely because we realized that their were too many guys who never brought templates and the pringles top is very close to a small blast.

wyvirn
06-04-2011, 17:34
I have seen people pre measuring with things like arms before in games and in my opinion its cheating.

That's certainly arguable, but I don't see the difference between using your arm and just eyeballing it. And unless you know exactly how long your arm is AND the unit is X lengths away, you still have to eyeball the distance a bit. The cubit trick is really just a reference to gauge the distance.

*edit*@Sabe: /like

Simo429
06-04-2011, 17:37
That's certainly arguable, but I don't see the difference between using your arm and just eyeballing it. And unless you know exactly how long your arm is AND the unit is X lengths away, you still have to eyeball the distance a bit. The cubit trick is really just a reference to gauge the distance.

Whats the difference between using your arm that you know the exact measurement of and a tape measure?

Especially for things like shooting, I know of a lad who knows that thumb to middle finger is 6 inches and he just lays his hand down as if he is thinking. Its a case of pre measuring which is against the rules. In a tournament setting if I saw this repeatedly I would ask him to keep his hands off the table

Korraz
06-04-2011, 18:04

It is cheating. Wether you lie your a your measuring tape, arm, or your ding dong on the table is irrelevant.

Nyctha
06-04-2011, 18:54
Definitely cheating, though i'd say that the line lies on placing things on or close enough to being on the table. Just looking at your arm then at the board and trying to figure it out is acceptable, laying your army on the table next to the model/models in question is not.

My most common substition in the past was a normal D6 for scatter dice. I can't remember how we used to make that work properly (It's very likely the system was very suspect) but scatter dice i always struggle to find... Playing Blood Angels and Chaos Daemons is such a mistake for me when it comes to finding the infernal things

wyvirn
06-04-2011, 19:59
Well, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, I had no idea that this was such an issue. I'll start a thread in the rules section if people want to continue the discussion.

Nyctha- you can 'fake' a scatter die fairly well with a normal D6. Roll it, a one or a six is a hit. Otherwise, the shot scatters in the direction of the 1.

The Underdog
07-04-2011, 00:45
Large blast = roughly the same size as a CD. Used to use that a lot in my early gaming days.

Oh and Wyvirn: Love the scatter dice idea - nice work!

Ambience 327
07-04-2011, 17:05
I have some old metal IG Cadian models, back when the weapons teams were separate models. In order to make sure the unit ranks up properly (for spacing, blast templates, etc), I fudge the weapons teams by sticking small circles of plastic (from my brother-in-law's heart monitor) under the teams. They are the perfect size. (I don't have any spare large bases.)

Oh, and kudos on fudging Scatter Dice. I never thought of doing it that way. I always just used a "good enough" method of 5 or 6 being a hit, 1/2/3/4 being a cardinal direction decided before the roll. Works well enough, but it means scatter is always in one of four directions. Using the "1" pip on the die to point is sheer brilliance, and will be my go-to solution when I can't find my scatter dice from now on!

madprophet
08-04-2011, 00:29
It is cheating. Wether you lie your a your measuring tape, arm, or your ding dong on the table is irrelevant.

What about knowing the game table is 4x6 (or 4x8) and knowing how far your guys moved and doing some geometry on a pocket calculator?:rolleyes: