PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Seige Rules

Cjwee
06-04-2011, 14:26
Hey all! My friends and I are hoping to plan a giant castle seige and we're looking for some rules to hopefullly represent this properly. Does anyone know where I can find the rules for simple things like battering rams, ladders, and seige towers? it would be a really great help, instead of having to design everything from the bottom up XD

Thanks!

Regards,
Cj

Duke_of_Krondor
06-04-2011, 14:40
Over in the big Empire battle rep thread you'll find a giant 10k chaos warriors/beastmen vs high elves, wood elves and empire. This is a game that my friend and I came up with and played.

Basically we treated each tower and wall section as its own watchtower with a toughness and wounds. We made the assumption that each unit would have either a method of climbing the walls (be it ladders or a pile of corpses). If you have ladder models then you could restrict the assault of a tower or wall section to units with these ladders. Then I'd suggest saying you need to be strength 6 to attack the gates with a ram granting the unit a +3 str bonus and a single ram attack with d6 wounds (we also treated the gate as a burning barricade to represnt the boiling oil being poured down!).

Treat seige towers like screaming bells/plague furnaces for the puposes of movement and allow flaming attacks re-rolls to wound against them (because they burn good!). The towers can allow a unit to assault a wall and section and allows some form of benefit for ranks.

Just play round with the rules. Maybe the defenders have called upon the blessing of their gods to create a blessed bulwark? Hope this helps.

drear
06-04-2011, 14:57
in the big BRB thre is a scenario that involves the attack on a township and it has various rules for buildings and how to destroy them.

id just assign each wall section/building/tower etc its own wounds/t profile and give it a number of floors, then treat it as impassable to the beseigeers etc.

IcedCrow
06-04-2011, 16:59
I will be posting my campaign rules which uses the old 5th edition siege book for sieges. It will have rules in it. You just have to wait for me to finish the packet =)

Agoz
06-04-2011, 17:02
well, if you could get your hands on the 6th edition BRB, it had a full section on playing siege games, I've still got my copy.

Ironmonger
06-04-2011, 17:03
Track down The Generals Compendium. Some nice, easily adaptable rules for siege, skirmish, sacking towns, etc. in there.

IcedCrow
06-04-2011, 17:03
Yeah the siege rules in 6th edition are basically copies from 5th editions siege book, only condensed. They work pretty well too.

Cjwee
06-04-2011, 17:07
hrm hrm sounds good guys! thanks!

my concern though is wouldnt treating the wall sections like watch towers be a little harsh? its all based upon combat res then so super elite troops holding teh walls would ust stomp everything or wall sections would just magically change hands really quickly as opposed to being ground around for.

IcedCrow
06-04-2011, 17:12
You normally cannot attack wall sections until you have brought them down. The gate is the weakest part of the entire wall.

Attacking the wall itself is usually not going to do anything unless you have super strong attacks or siege equipment.

I know you can use grappling hooks to get your guys to the top but then yeah the unit guarding the wall is behind cover and you ahve to win a round of combat to take the wall.

Agoz
06-04-2011, 18:15
ladders, a siege tower, or if its a skirmishing unit, grappling hooks are the ways units assaulted the walls as I recall. It also had rules for battering rams, log rams, boiling oil, throwing rocks...

IcedCrow
06-04-2011, 19:02
Yes indeed. I have two siege towers I love those things.

Cjwee
10-04-2011, 12:32
ergh does anyone know where to get the general's compendium?

zoggin-eck
10-04-2011, 12:44
Man I'm sick of people saying the General's Compendium has rules for siege. It has scenarios designed to be used with the siege rules from the time

Haravikk
10-04-2011, 13:09
I started working on some Siege rules for 8th (check the link in my signature), I'm still working on another update with some scenarios and more example profiles for giving you a more varied game, but the rules are fairly straightforward.

IcedCrow
10-04-2011, 16:13
I'm converting the 5th edition siege supplement over into a siege portion for my campaign. I will post the rules as soon as I finish. Should be another week.