PDA

View Full Version : The new Warsphinx

jthdotcom
06-04-2011, 16:52
Anyone else see the pic and straight away thing "yes i can finally make a Kholek model out of plastic!?"

Stick an armoured mordor troll body on it and good to go

Sabe
06-04-2011, 17:34
Oh yes....oh very very yes....

GodlessM
06-04-2011, 18:36
Assuming the Troll body fits and I find it unlikely as it fits perfectly on a Hydra and the Sphinx looks much thicker than a Hydra.

Agoz
06-04-2011, 18:40
You may have to bulk it out a bit to get it to fit, yeah.
It might look pretty cool though.

Morkash
06-04-2011, 19:56
Why not use a Ogre Tyrant upper-body? The weapon should be fitting in size. :)

Jind_Singh
06-04-2011, 19:58
oh my yes - what a great looking kit too!

reddevil18
06-04-2011, 20:03
Didnt think of that :D
But I must say it is a beautiful model, i think i peed a lil when i seen it lol

Quinn
06-04-2011, 23:19
Actually, I think that a Soulgrinder upper torso might work better and look better. At least I always have thought about using one myself, just didn't have an appropriate lower body for it...now,:cool:

Agoz
07-04-2011, 02:12
Doesn't the soulgrinder look a little too.. demonic and mechanical? I mean its got pipes and that face doesn't exactly scream Dragon ogre, its more of a lamprey.

knightime98
07-04-2011, 03:07
That thing looks like an automaton. A big metallic robot monster.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1740211a_99120217007_Necrosphynx01_873x627.jpg

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1740231a_99120217007_Warsphynx01_873x627.jpg

This thing doesn't even remotely look like a sphinx (no lion body at all)..

Of course it is painted well but really doesn't look like anything the TK army should have.. I wanted a sphinx not some robot monster thing..

Maybe it's just me.. I don't know.. What do you guys think?

Agoz
07-04-2011, 03:22
That thing looks like an automaton. A big metallic robot monster.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1740211a_99120217007_Necrosphynx01_873x627.jpg

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1740231a_99120217007_Warsphynx01_873x627.jpg

This thing doesn't even remotely look like a sphinx (no lion body at all)..

Of course it is painted well but really doesn't look like anything the TK army should have.. I wanted a sphinx not some robot monster thing..

Maybe it's just me.. I don't know.. What do you guys think?

The TK army is known for it's constructs, remember the tomb scorpian, ushabtis, and bone giant? It looks like you might see in a hollywood egyptian tomb action movie to me. A guardian statue. I love it! I don't think it looks like a robot. though the sand stalkers look a little too similar to necron wraiths

H33D
07-04-2011, 03:24
Well according to the fluff the Priests animated various statues and such including the sphinxes. It should look like an automaton because thats what it is, an animated statue! (automation=something that behaves mechanically, as if pre-programed or not in control of itself) The original sphinx has a lion body and human head. I think they actually did a dang good job capturing that, and the model looks really great!

RTGamer
07-04-2011, 03:26
I think that the body looks like a feline to me. I like war sphinx best but also think it will look better painted like stone.

Agoz
07-04-2011, 03:27
I don't know, I like the marble look, it's slick

Orktavius
07-04-2011, 07:52
indeed, I think it would look more fitting for tomb kings if the stone sections were painted as stone....and not that beautiful jade like appearance which makes me jealous

javgoro
07-04-2011, 07:56
Yeah, I thought the same, but I am unsure of what I would use for the upper body. The Mordor Troll doesn't seem to fit the bill for me.

Lukasz_VT
07-04-2011, 11:01
I really don't like the Warsphinx's head or howdah. The Necrosphinx looks absolutely fantastic - best GW model I have seen in a while. I wouldn't be suprised if that model draws a lot of people to the army. Both the Necrosphinx heads are perfect.

theunwantedbeing
07-04-2011, 11:06
Like this?

Memnos
07-04-2011, 11:22
That is hideous. Mordor Troll no longer can go on the Warsphinx.

Urgat
07-04-2011, 12:36
I think that the body looks like a feline to me.

It looks like a dinosaur to me. Not much work to turn that into a lizardmen unit if you ask me. If the collar thing only goes around the neck of the feline head and you can do w/o it easily, it's just a matter of adding eyes and some scales to the head, and replacing the skulls with lizardmen icons.

Leogun_91
07-04-2011, 15:11
Yeah, I thought the same, but I am unsure of what I would use for the upper body. The Mordor Troll doesn't seem to fit the bill for me.
What about a giant upper body. The giant isn't exactly athletic but if you don't mind that it could be a great fit.

Dante blackfur
07-04-2011, 18:17
That Models is Freaking Awsome!!!!!! I don't understand how people DON'T Like it :D (No I'm not a TK player... YET :))

Myrmidon616
07-04-2011, 18:53
The Necrosphinx looks awesome but the Stegadon ... ahem! ... Warsphinx looks like they're just trying to introduce another howdah mounted beast. The head kind of looks like the heads you got on the screaming skull catapults.

Col. Tartleton
08-04-2011, 04:08
I find the lack of breasts kind of disturbing. Everyone knows Sphinxes are female.

Urgat
08-04-2011, 04:14
Greek sphinxes are female, egyptian ones are not. Everybody knows that, of course.

Col. Tartleton
08-04-2011, 04:32
Greek sphinxes are female, egyptian ones are not. Everybody knows that, of course.

No such thing as an Egyptian Sphinx. :p

Egyptians (Khemet) had statues of human headed animals and animal headed people. The Greeks called the former Sphinxes, as they resembled their legendary humanoid lionesses. Sphinx being strangler, like sphincter, and lionesses smother their prey. Southern Europe of course used to be full of lions. Not so much now.

Lord-Caerolion
08-04-2011, 04:34
I find the lack of breasts kind of disturbing. Everyone knows Sphinxes are female.

Quick, someone get a time machine, better tell the Egyptians they build their sphynx wrong!

Urgat
08-04-2011, 04:36
No such thing as an Egyptian Sphinx. :p

Egyptians (Khemet) had statues of human headed animals and animal headed people.

:wtf: Ever heard of the sphinx of Gizeh, the one sphinx anybody thinks of when you say "sphinx"?
You're not actually saying that because of the word difference, right? Because if so, you'd better warn the egyptians, they're doing it all wrong on their websites:
http://www.sis.gov.eg/En/AdvSrchResult.aspx?kw=sphinx&pgn=1

Col. Tartleton
08-04-2011, 04:49
:wtf: Ever heard of the sphinx of Gizeh, the one sphinx anybody thinks of when you say "sphinx"?

Yes, a Greek interpretation of foreign art. The mesopotamians had "sphinxes" too but we call them lamassu.

It's like calling baby angels cherubs when those are pagan Putti and Cherubs are four headed monstrous animal angels...

Urgat
08-04-2011, 04:53
Right. So a cow is a different beast to a french vache, or a greek agelada, because the name is different?
Lmasus are based on bulls. Sphinxs (greek AND egyptians) are based on lions. And in case you're interested, the greeks had a word for the egyptian sphinx, as it happens (androsphinx, which more or less means... male sphinx. Heh).
But whatever floats your boat man.

Col. Tartleton
08-04-2011, 05:00
Right. So a cow is a different beast to a french vache, or a greek agelada, because the name is different?
Lmasus are based on bulls. Sphinxs (greek AND egyptians) are based on lions.
But whatever floats your boat man.

And falcons and rams and other things too. Is any animal with a lions body a sphinx? What of griffons and such? Bigfoot isn't a Yeti. As they're not real I think we should use different names. You don't call Odin Zeus or Hercules Thor just because they're the same thing with the exception of local interpretations.

Not that it matters. It's a Sphinx, but not really. ;)

It's like Tehuti is better than Thoth and Yeshua is better than Jesus. We use Greek too much. :)

Urgat
08-04-2011, 05:01
And falcons and rams and other things too. Is any animal with a lions body a sphinx?

Any monster that has a lion body and a human's head, yes. Or because the people who created both myths both used the same word. I'll take the opportunity to point out that sphinx is also possibly said to come from the egyptian "shesepankh", which means "living statue", or from the sanskrit "sthag" ("hidden"). So the premium idea you support (the greeks did it first?) isn't even valid.

Col. Tartleton
08-04-2011, 05:09
I give. :D We're looking at it differently.

They should have had options for a Criosphinx (ramheaded lion)

Urgat
08-04-2011, 05:10
Darn, I had already prepared my next argument :p

Gekiganger
08-04-2011, 07:05
The Necrosphinx looks awesome but the Stegadon ... ahem! ... Warsphinx looks like they're just trying to introduce another howdah mounted beast. The head kind of looks like the heads you got on the screaming skull catapults.

Well it comes with 3 heads, are the 2 necro heads not interchangable with the war head?

Colonel_kex
08-04-2011, 07:17
I like it when it turns to "argument of history and language-seer" :)

don't like the new model though, looks just like "anotherbigmonsterthekidswilllove!"

Chris_
08-04-2011, 07:19
I've been thinking about modelling it without the wings (Necrosphynx body/head) and make the howdah detachable so I can use it as either a Necrosphynx or a Warsphynx... Shouldn't be too difficult.

Lord Solar Plexus
08-04-2011, 07:29
Well according to the fluff the Priests animated various statues and such including the sphinxes. It should look like an automaton because thats what it is, an animated statue! (automation=something that behaves mechanically, as if pre-programed or not in control of itself)

Not quite. There's a distinct difference between something animated and behaving mechanically to something that is (looking) mechanically. A zombie shouldn't look robotically and neither should an animated stone statue.

geldedgoat
08-04-2011, 07:34
Chaosified symbols + crazy-looking priest or Chaos Dwarf operator in the howdah = warshrine. Eh? Eh?

Lord-Caerolion
08-04-2011, 07:43
Not quite. There's a distinct difference between something animated and behaving mechanically to something that is (looking) mechanically. A zombie shouldn't look robotically and neither should an animated stone statue.

It doesn't look mechanical though. It looks like a carved sculpture, with metal/golden inlays. For it to look mechanical we'd be seeing joints, pistons and so on. Instead, we have legs that are a single piece, just like a statue.

Myrmidon616
08-04-2011, 08:33
Well it comes with 3 heads, are the 2 necro heads not interchangable with the war head?

from looking at it, perhaps, but I think the necrosphinx is supposed to resemble your traditional idea of a sphinx whilst the warsphinx is supposed to look like a beast of war, so it might look a tad strange.

Why couldn't they have done something like a skeletal war elephant. Or is that too Araby/realworld. From what little I know of the fluff, Tk utilised ushabiti and suchlike when they re-awoke in un-life. If so, did they have statues purposefully built beforehand that could have a howdah put on the back?

geldedgoat
08-04-2011, 09:09
Why couldn't they have done something like a skeletal war elephant. Or is that too Araby/realworld. From what little I know of the fluff, Tk utilised ushabiti and suchlike when they re-awoke in un-life. If so, did they have statues purposefully built beforehand that could have a howdah put on the back?

Well, if they can get creative with random bones littered about the desert, what's stopping them from getting creative with random statues?

RanaldLoec
08-04-2011, 12:26
In the Nagash trilogy books the khemrian cities started to use giant constructs in the war against Nagash and his early vampires.

I think both models look sweet.

sulla
08-04-2011, 20:06
A bone dragon would have been cooler, but sphinx are very characterful for Khemri. The model still looks goofy though, especially the warsphinx. The decrepit old tomb guard on top don't help either.

Sabe
09-04-2011, 03:52

They weren't resurrected yesterday, even if they didn't have these critters back in the good ole fleshy days they could have built them since.

Agoz
09-04-2011, 04:03
They weren't resurrected yesterday, even if they didn't have these critters back in the good ole fleshy days they could have built them since.

yeah, nagash was around in the time of sigmar and before that, the tomb kings have definitely been around long enough to prepare whatever they need.