PDA

View Full Version : Razor standard. Work for Ranged weapons?

Ludaman
07-04-2011, 07:06
Couldn't find it in the FAQ's. In the book it says the Banner gives the unit the armor piercing rule, does this mean all of their weapons, including ranged?

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
07-04-2011, 07:14
Couldn't find it in the FAQ's. In the book it says the Banner gives the unit the armor piercing rule, does this mean all of their weapons, including ranged?

Unfortunately no it doesn't give the armor piercing rule for range weapons only for close combat. Also it doesn't stack if the figure already has a weapon that has the AP rule.

AMWOOD co
07-04-2011, 07:34
Pointy Headed Elven Palladin has it right. The justification is in the Armour Piercing rule itself on p67. Read the first non-italicised line and it all becomes clear.

Hashulaman
07-04-2011, 07:45
Isn't there a Lore of Metal spell that gives a unit Armor Piercing that works in shooting?

AMWOOD co
07-04-2011, 07:58
Isn't there a Lore of Metal spell that gives a unit Armor Piercing that works in shooting?

It's a specifically stated exception. The shooting phase is given a bonus and then it says "All their attacks...". It's not a far fetched conclusion that it thus affects shooting as well.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
07-04-2011, 08:01
It's a specifically stated exception. The shooting phase is given a bonus and then it says "All their attacks...". It's not a far fetched conclusion that it thus affects shooting as well.

AMWOOD co is correct. The Enchanted Blades of Aiban spell specifically states that all attacks would have AP effect of the spell.

popisdead
07-04-2011, 22:58
It's widely argued both ways and has been argued for a long time. I haven't seen anything definitive either way.

Mr_Rose
09-04-2011, 12:39
No. It is very clear from the actual rule on p.67 that it only affects the unit's close combat attacks, since the standard gives the rule to the models in the unit, not their weapons.
Contrast the rules for Flaming attacks which specify the converse.

Jerubaal
12-04-2011, 14:02
the models in the unit, not their weapons.

Wow, armour-piercing fists!

:angel:

Ok, so I'm from the camp that says Razor should apply to ranged weapons, but I do play Wood Elves :eek: I'm also an enthusiastic member of the camp that says GW don't have any pedantic rules lawyers working for them. If they did, we wouldn't get to have all these fun discussions...

Haravikk
12-04-2011, 14:51
Armour piercing in combat and armour piercing at range are two different things, that would cost two different amounts, so it makes that sense that the banner would only affect one or the other but not both.
After all, units with armour piercing ranged weapons do pay a premium for it.

ariochhelldrake
12-04-2011, 15:48
After all, units with armour piercing ranged weapons do pay a premium for it.

Lol the only unit that springs to mind are Dark Elf Repeater Crossbow's with BS 4 LD 8 and 2xAP shots for 10 points.
That doesnt strike me as paying a premium it strikes me as a bargin!

Zywus
13-04-2011, 12:01
Unless specifically stated the Armourpiercing bonus applies to the model, in which case it only applies to close combat attacks. If the bonus is connected to a weapon, the bonus only applies when that weapon is used to attack. Either in close combat or at range, depending on the weapon type.

Chris_
13-04-2011, 12:36
Yes, this question is pretty straight-forward if you just read the rules for Armour Piercing.