PDA

View Full Version : Cauldron of Blood FAQ

Capt._Jaelinek
08-04-2011, 04:07
The FAQ says the Cauldron follows war machine rules, but the crew is frenzied. I know it can't march, but can it charge?

If it can't charge then it's just a big target for shooting, because no sane player would charge it with only 6 models. Except maybe high elves (I hate ASF!).

sulla
08-04-2011, 04:50
War machines, pg109, Movement; second paragraph answers your first question.

Not sure what your second question is really asking.

Trains_Get_Robbed
08-04-2011, 04:56
Ranks, Banner, Charge, and killing the crew. You auto run it down if it flees. Whats so hard?

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
08-04-2011, 05:04
If it can't charge then it's just a big target for shooting, because no sane player would charge it with only 6 models. Except maybe high elves (I hate ASF!).

Warmachines can't charge. Also units with ranks gets stepping up rules against war machine crews so while the Witch Elves will kill quite a bit of models they might still lose overall as Trains mentioned close combat is fought normally (hence charge bonus, rank bonus, & standards apply for this combat).

Capt._Jaelinek
08-04-2011, 12:12
First off, I thought you selected 6 models to conduct an assault against war machines. Where does it say you get step up? I thought it was more like assaulting buildings.

Second, a war machine can shoot. So from a rules stand point does it make any sense to have a war machine that can't do anything? For example, if the rest of the units are destroyed the opponent never has to enter close combat and it cannot defend itself. Does this make any sense?

How do rules for other war shrines work? They aren't just support units are they?

As for who would attack it, with high initiative and a dozen or more poison attacks I wouldn't be to interested in assaulting it. Especially if it blesses itself.

soultaker
08-04-2011, 12:35
war machines close combat: page 110, 2nd column, casualties removed from back: ie combat as normal shock horror.

The cauldron really doesnt need to do more than buff and provide bsb re-rolls, its buffs are frankly game winning, at a very low cost.

Chaos warshrine is a monster, empire war altar is a chariot there is no unit type 'shrine'. Read rulebook, all will become clear

Capt._Jaelinek
08-04-2011, 12:48
My bad, war machine crews do get step up as Paladin stated above.

So, the errata specifically states that use the best armor or ward save against all wounds caused. Would this mean they get a 4++ in close combat too?

tmarichards
08-04-2011, 13:54
Yes, but you use the toughness of the crew in combat. Remember that it's also stubborn (Khainite and within 12" of a cauldron).