PDA

View Full Version : Model you thought you wouldn't like but did?

Rosstifer
08-04-2011, 15:27
Models you bought or were given, that when you got them thought, wow, these are way better than I thought?

I'll start with Chaos Ogres. Ok, they're still not brilliant. But I bought about a hundred WOC figures in an online auction and it included 3 metal Chaos Ogres. I still didn't like them, but after stripping the god awful paintjob and painting them myself I'm well chuffed, they are actually pretty cool. lots of nice textures, good for drybrushing and washing. I really like them now. I think the 'Eavy Metal paintjob is rubbish TBH. Anyways, I now like Chaos Ogres, and they actually help make my army unique, as everyone else uses Ironguts with a few Chaos Bits tacked on. Just... Lazy.

Though see Khaos' Blog here on Warseer for how to do a proper Irongut to Chaos ogre conversion.

Sinnertje
08-04-2011, 15:46
Dark Elves.
I used to hate em, and I still dislike all other elves, but I just pretend my Dark Elves are spiky humans.

IcedCrow
08-04-2011, 15:53
I dislike the dark elves too. The conehead thing is ugly.

Rosstifer
08-04-2011, 16:13
This is a "Model you didn't think you'd like but did" Thread, not a "I hate Model X" Thread.

Sinnertje
08-04-2011, 16:22
I know, in case you were also talking to me.
Like I said, I used to hate them, but not anymore, their looks kinda appeal to me now.

Khorneguy
08-04-2011, 16:25
Beastmen Minotaurs, hated the GW pics on the website, then saw them in real life and realised they were amazing.

Same goes for the 40k stormraven

The Clairvoyant
08-04-2011, 16:26
The varghulf.

Didn't like any of the pics of them, but when i got mine in the VC spearhead, i really liked it.

dragonet111
08-04-2011, 16:33
I'm waiting for someone to comment on the razorgor :)

I don't like dwarf but after seeing my friend army I have to say they have very good models.

Especially this one.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440054a&prodId=prod780848

WarmbloodedLizard
08-04-2011, 16:48
ogre bulls. I really disliked their look at first. Now, Ogres are my second army. :D

drear
08-04-2011, 16:54
i think i either like or dislike a gw model, ive never really bought one i disliked D:

i will always refuse to buy woodelf treemen

Harwammer
08-04-2011, 16:54
The Thing in the Woods from Mordheim. Mine gets used for everything: razorgor, varghulf.... Okay not quite everything but it does get used!

Rosstifer
08-04-2011, 16:56
I know, in case you were also talking to me.
Like I said, I used to hate them, but not anymore, their looks kinda appeal to me now.

No, wasn't talking to you mate, you made it clear you liked them :D

Also, Dragonet, I like my Razorgor. I don't love it. But I like it.

Jinxies
08-04-2011, 16:58
Beastmen Minotaurs, hated the GW pics on the website, then saw them in real life and realised they were amazing.

This... seriously I thought they were sooooooooo ugly from the GW pics

Lemonbrick
08-04-2011, 17:03
The beast of nurgle for me , I thought it was terrible until someone at the club had a nice painted one

PaintByNumbers
08-04-2011, 17:14
The Arachnarok spider! (I was commissioned to build and paint one for a friend. Still in progress)
First: I don't like spiders
Second: I don't like the look of greenskins (dodges flying mushrooms being thrown by angry crowed)
But the more work I get done on it the more awesome it becomes. I guess you could say its growing on me.

A second model for me would be a goblin doom diver I build and painted as a Christmas gift (for the same friend). When I was done with it I almost didn't want to give it up. The goblins are so ugly and mischievous that its almost cute.

Mr. Ultra
08-04-2011, 17:24
The current Bretonnian range.

When the 2004 book was released I was very used to the old, fairy tale and bright look of the models, and the new dirt, grim and gritty look horrorrized me (the bad GW paintjob didn't help).

Today, I am the proud owner of about 5,000 points of Brets.:D

Myrmidon616
08-04-2011, 17:33
I don't like dwarf but after seeing my friend army I have to say they have very good models.

Especially this one.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440054a&prodId=prod780848

I almost considered buying him just to replace the horrid one you got in Skull Pass

I usually always find that models are a lot smaller than I thought they would be, except recently the Warp Lightning Cannon which actually looked bigger.

Dante blackfur
08-04-2011, 17:38
For me it was The Ogres inn general. I hated the old bald guy style they sported, but then a friend ocmmisened me to pain a unit of bulls, Tyrant and a BSB and I found out I really like the models, Now I have 3k of Ogres! :)