PDA

View Full Version : Skirmisher/Fast Cav Movement

PaintByNumbers
08-04-2011, 15:41
I was just rereading through Jervis Johnson's Article: Warhammer: Steadfast - A Guide to the Warhammer rulebook (Part One), and am still trying to wrap my head around this statement. Pay special attention to the part in parenthesis.

"Skirmishers and Fast Cavalry... ...can change formation freely as they move, which means you can pretty much move them anywhere you like as long as no model ends up moving more than twice its Move rate. (As an aside, note that this move is simply the straight-line distance between the position where the model started and the position where it ends its move; you don't have to measure the exact path the model moved)."

So does this mean that Skirmishers and Fast Cavalry ignore any intervening models or terrain in their path? And would they even need a legal path for the models to reach their intended spot?

Would this also mean that you don't have to make mysterious/difficult terrain tests if the models do not start or end their move in the terrain?

The only reason I'm asking is because it sounds like one of those "Too-good-to-be-true" rules. Or perhaps I'm just missing something in the statement. It also makes spider riders look less attractive for their ability to ignore impassable terrain as wolf riders would be just as capable.

drear
08-04-2011, 15:57
i think it can be said to act like that in most situations, but theres some situations where its not belivable.

as the modesl cant move more than double their movment, some terrain epices are to big.
whilst other times the gap between units is to small ( 1 inch rule)

an example of what they CAN do is march at a ngoblin unit, have the unit release fanatics and then just fkkep reforming to avoid the fanatics until it reaches its final destination

Scalebug
08-04-2011, 17:00
an example of what they CAN do is march at a ngoblin unit, have the unit release fanatics and then just fkkep reforming to avoid the fanatics until it reaches its final destination

Huh? How? Reforming so that one model is 8" away, then "draw that model back" with a reform and have the Fanatics fail to reach?

Because that really don't work, do it? Their movement is paused to resolve the fanatics, the continues (with further reforms allowed).

jaxom
08-04-2011, 17:45
I was going to post about the fanatics and realized that I have not read the 8th edition rules for Fanatics. Have they changed at all or does everything still stop when the first model reaches 8" from the Goblins?

If that is the case, then when the Fanatic is released the fast cav unit will have to be placed in a legal formation on the table with the triggering model appropriately located relative to the Goblins. Once the Fanatics are launched, the movement can continue.

Regarding other things, since fast cav cannot move through enemy units or impassible terrain, they must still measure the true path of their movement to demonstrate that they did not at any time violate those rules. This is most notable if a horde unit walks up in front of them. They cannot simply measure twice their movement straight through the horde unit and line up behind the horde. They *can* measure the longest path (i.e. end model) along the front of the horde and then up the side into a (noncombat) position on the flank of the unit. But they're not fliers and do not move like fliers.