PDA

View Full Version : Bent Plastic

Soupcat
08-04-2011, 19:58
Question regarding plastic.
I know with bent resin you can heat it up a shift it back into the proper position, but can you do the same with plastic and if so how does the process differ? I have a monolith that got sat on and got very lucky with the only damage being one of the side pannels being bent and Im hoping its an easy enough fix.

Hendarion
08-04-2011, 20:17
To my experience... no.

magicmonkey
08-04-2011, 20:21
you could try bend it back heat less, but i think it may melt or mishape if you heat it too much. try heat it a little so its flexible and re shape it yourself. or ebay it as slightly used.

Archangel_Ruined
08-04-2011, 20:22
It can be done, but it needs to be quite a bit hotter than resin. And not so hot it melts. Fine line there. There are methods of heating plastic in salt or sand (it's just a medium for transfering heat), you should be able to google some decent guides on that front. However... With a monolith those are some big parts you're trying to straighten up and they need to fit flush at the end of it too. That's a lot trickier than repositioning limbs and the such, you might find it much easier to scratch build a new panel from plasticard and bits, flat panels are pretty easy.

skarzog
08-04-2011, 20:26
Forget the monolith, how's the guy's ass?

Archangel_Ruined
08-04-2011, 20:27
And the award for 'Most Bizarre Post' goes to.... That guy!

Ace Rimmer
08-04-2011, 20:35
Yes you can heat it to bend it, but it needs to be considerably hotter. You'll want to test any of these processes on some old sprue parts first to gauge their effectiveness.

*Warning*

there is a real possibility of burning yourself if your not careful with any of these processes.

You can try a full blast hair dryer with it's attachment that narrows the flow of air (thus concentrating the heat) but obviously, if you've only got a wimpy hair dryer, it might struggle to get it hot enough.

You can try boiling water in a pan, but you need to keep hold of part of it, which poses issues with either burning yourself, or mashing it up as it softens where you grip it. Whilst this probably wont get hot enough to make it fully pliable, it will soften it up so you can make slow steady adjustments.

A low heat oven can be used, I haven't tried this for years, so I'm unsure as to what temperature would be best to balance pliability with non-destruction, but I'd test it at no more than about 80c (176f?) for a short period of time to start with, and experiment from there.

*not for the feint-hearted*

If you have an incredibly steady hand, Iron lungs and absolute faith in your own awesomeness, you can use a lighter or candle to heat it, but it will scorch the side the heat is applied to and if you get the heat to close or on for too long, it will just roll up on itself and/or catch fire. And you will absolutely burn yourself at least once. I tend to restrict this to small parts like legs and arms for reposing without cutting, as it's quick and lazy, but you will screw up the first couple of attempts you make. This is quite possibly not really suited to your predicament as I've not tested it extensively on large flat areas apart from adjusting the odd slight twist in panels.

yabbadabba
08-04-2011, 20:43
You can try boiling water in a pan, but you need to keep hold of part of it, which poses issues with either burning yourself, or mashing it up as it softens where you grip it. Whilst this probably wont get hot enough to make it fully pliable, it will soften it up so you can make slow steady adjustments. I find this is the best method. As it is a side panel, I would recommend you prepare your materials to straighten/flatten the panel first - two flat surfaces etc. Use a pair of pliers but just don't grip too hard. Might take 2 or three dips to get it right. It will take some judgement, if you leave it in too long it will go as floppy as a slice of processed cheese.

Archangel_Ruined
08-04-2011, 20:48
You could pop it in a vice, between two pieces of wood, and blast it with a hot air gun (or hair dryer, at a push), but you're pretty much going to mangle any surface detail with that approach.

Lord Damocles
08-04-2011, 20:49
If you're feeling really manly (read: stupid) you can wave plastic parts over a hob until they're soft enough to manipulate.

Although last time I tried it, my Wraithlord caught fire...

yabbadabba
08-04-2011, 20:55
Flame is good for making whippy ariels out of old sprue, but it takes some practice!

Inquisitor Kallus
08-04-2011, 20:55
Lord Damocles, that cracked me up.

*Pathfinders report back to Craftworld*

"..yea Farseer Booboobashoo it was pretty hardcore out there. Huh? Oh yea grreat team, those Wraithlords were on fire!"

3+savesarefornoobs
08-04-2011, 21:07
pfft, easy problem.

Just use a blow torch. Your parents or best buddy who works at the shipyard can probably lend you one. Easy.

~This was sarcasm btw I hope no one is moronic enough to do this. lol (severe burns, risk of fire and death)

AndrewGPaul
08-04-2011, 21:09
If you're feeling really manly (read: stupid) you can wave plastic parts over a hob until they're soft enough to manipulate.

Although last time I tried it, my Wraithlord caught fire...

Pffft. I once held a lead mini over the hob, and it melted. :( Luckily the cooled lead splash was easily removed before my mum noticed.

Bunnahabhain
08-04-2011, 21:38
Lots of these sound like good ways to make either Chaos spawn, or Ork Vehicles, and/or an awkward set of questions in Casualty....

Hot water, and 2 flat surfaces works well. Pad them off with scrap cloth prevents most damage to details.

jasdc1
09-04-2011, 00:50
ok, i'll ask. what is a hob?

Torpedo Vegas
09-04-2011, 01:01
Use a zippo lighter. Hold it over and wait. I've done it to reshape some Raider rails. If you smell smoke you've gone too far. Just be careful to not set fire to the whole model (been there) or your hand (done that too). To much time will full on melt the plastic though.

MasterDecoy
09-04-2011, 02:30
My experience when my devilfish warped in my car was that fire was only usful to bend the parts that seperated back together, it still looked like crap though.

magicmonkey
09-04-2011, 08:07
a hob i think is a gas ring that you light on fire on top of an oven. my advice would be ask captain sat on it(even if its you) to pay up. then if he demands money in return for the injury, i'll meet you in cuba to help get you past customs.

yabbadabba
09-04-2011, 10:40
a hob is the surface you use to cook with pots and pans, often sat on top of an oven

http://www.allnaturalkitchens.com/hobs/necht_gas_hob.jpg
http://www.hammertons.co.uk/appliances/siemens-induction-hob.jpg