PDA

View Full Version : How many ranks can Horde High Elf Spear Man /Sea Guards fight in?

Valkyrie Sky
09-04-2011, 05:02
Sorry for the really newb question guys, i still havnt started a game of Fantasy yet!

I was wondering how many ranks can High Elf Spearman and Sea Guards
fight in ( to the front of course )

+1 for Spear
+1 for Martial Prowess
+1 for Supporting Attack
+1 for Horde Supporting Attack.

Total of 5 ranks to the front? really wow?
Also Initiative 5 and or Speed of Asuryan makes them almost always
garunteed to have re-roll to hit as well?

2nd Question, is it safe to say almost every unit can fight in 2 ranks in 8th direction when facing combat at the front due to supporting attacks?

Thanks for replying

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
09-04-2011, 05:10
Sorry for the really newb question guys, i still havnt started a game of Fantasy yet!

I was wondering how many ranks can High Elf Spearman and Sea Guards
fight in ( to the front of course )

+1 for Spear
+1 for Martial Prowess
+1 for Supporting Attack
+1 for Horde Supporting Attack.

Also Initiative 5 and or Speed of Asuryan makes them almost always
garunteed to have re-roll to hit as well?

That's correct but the additional one for the spear only applies if the unit didn't charge that turn.

Tactically speaking however Horde units of HE spearmen and/or Sea Guards rarely pans out unless you plan not to move them very much.

2nd Question, is it safe to say almost every unit can fight in 2 ranks in 8th direction when facing combat at the front due to supporting attacks?

That correct.

Thanks for replying

Your Welcome. :D

Zoring
09-04-2011, 05:14
Right after IOB and 8th had been released i was travelling through Europe, and I went into a GW in Paris while waiting for my train. The GW guy in there kindly gave me an example game despite being a bit dubious about his ability to speak English, he said to me "We don't play with the re-roll rule, it is too overpowered".

The French can be right too sometimes.

Ultimate Life Form
09-04-2011, 05:38
The OP gets an A+ for his math skills. :D :yes:

AMWOOD co
09-04-2011, 05:57

Thanks for replying

Yes, they fight in 2 ranks, but remember that every rank past the first only gets 1 attack per model, so units like Swordmaster with more than one attack on profile don't benefit as much (though Swordmasters still benefit).

Fubar
09-04-2011, 09:59
Yes, they fight in 2 ranks, but remember that every rank past the first only gets 1 attack per model, so units like Swordmaster with more than one attack on profile don't benefit as much (though Swordmasters still benefit).

Except for monsterous infantry who get up to 3 supporting attacks per model.

T10
09-04-2011, 12:00

The downside is that this requires a unit of about 50 models, though technically 41 models is sufficient if you are satisfied with 1 model fighting from the fifth rank.

Another considerable benefit is that you can run smaller units of, say, 15, and all the models in the unit get to fight even on the turn you charge. Sure, it's not the wargasm of a 50+ attacks, but it still counts.

-T10

popisdead
14-04-2011, 23:34
Tactically speaking however Horde units of HE spearmen and/or Sea Guards rarely pans out unless you plan not to move them very much.

I wouldn't say it's the lack of movement (for the 5th rank of attacks) it's the Okhams Razor you need. Otherwise,.. yeah just paying a lot of points for a single S3 attack per guy.

Gaargod
15-04-2011, 00:16
The unit is lacklustre without magic - yes, chucking 50 odd WS4 attacks with rerolls at someone is awesome, but at S3 its not 'too' scary.

But with Wildform or, god forbid, Okkam's Razor they are scary. Of course, then you're relying on magic, which without teclis/book archmage, is sometimes not the best idea as an entire battle plan. Plus, then you're either charging (and losing bonus from spears) and casting the spell that turn, or giving the enemy the option not to charge you after casting.

sindrix
15-04-2011, 03:53
Right after IOB and 8th had been released i was travelling through Europe, and I went into a GW in Paris while waiting for my train. The GW guy in there kindly gave me an example game despite being a bit dubious about his ability to speak English, he said to me "We don't play with the re-roll rule, it is too overpowered".

The French can be right too sometimes.

the french DE players should't use hydras with that logic, empire shouldn't use mortars, warriors of chaos shouldn't take their armor save, and ogre's shouldn't use be able to cast regeneration.

Probably a good thing the french don't write the rules.

Surgency
15-04-2011, 04:23
On the plus side, if they did the rules for flee and panic would be well thought out and complete, with no loopholes in them whatsoever...