PDA

View Full Version : 2500 point Goblins for WAAAAAGHseer

sssk
09-04-2011, 06:31
hi folks,

As some of you may know (if you don't, go and check the last few pages in the "Dreams of Greatness - A greenskin's rise to glory" Thread) warseer is making it's own greenskin WAAAAAGH to stampede across the world (both real, and warhammer world). If you want to get involved then just pop over to that thread and say hi. Anyway, as such, I will soon be starting to play a lot of 2500 point games, which is a 25% increase to me (I usually play 2000), so I thought I'd see what army I can muster for it, so here we go:

Lords:
Goblin warboss Armour of destiny, shield
Night goblin Warboss charmed shield, light armour, spear, great cave squig

Heroes:
Night goblin big boss BSB, talisman of preservation, enchanted shield, light armour
Night goblin big boss Great weapon
Night goblin big boss Additional hand weapon
Night goblin big boss Light armour, Shield, iron curse icon
Goblin big boss Light armour, shield, wolf, spear
Night goblin shaman
Night goblin shaman
Night goblin shaman
Night goblin shaman

Core:
50 Night goblins spear and shield, full command, nets, fanatic
50 Night goblins spear and shield, full command, nets, fanatic
50 Night goblins bows, full command, nets, fanatic
20 Night goblins bows, Standard
5 Wolf riders
5 wolf riders

Special:
Wolf Chariot
10 Squig hoppers
Spear chukka
6 trolls
3 trolls

Rare:
Doom diver
Rock lobba
Giant

The plan is a fairly blunt "hold stuff with night gobbo busses, then flank charge with any of the strength 5 stuff which is lying around". Any suggestions on equipment, unit strength etc is more than welcome. Most of the stuff I own which isn't already in the list is night gobbo spearmen and spiders, but feel free to suggest other stuff (as long as it isn't orcs!)

ta

sssk

The Blue Guy
09-04-2011, 09:47
Looks quite solid but I have a couple of comments:

-Looks like you are going for the signature spell spam here and that's fine, but it does make your magical defence rather weak. Since GW took a crap on our Spirit Totem a level 4 is (as far as I'm concerned) more or less necessary for your army's magical defence. In addition a Dispel Scroll is always a good investment.

-Are your Night Goblin Big Bosses equipped that way because of the models you have at your disposal or do you simple like the mix? I'm one of the recent converts of Malorian's Night Goblin Big Boss set up (armed with great weapons).

-Is your Goblin Warboss supposed to do some fighting in the front rank or will he be deployed in the archer unit?

-I'd drop the NG champions a total waste if points IMO. Three Night Goblin Bosses weigh in at 30 points and you can almost get another Night Goblin Big Boss with great weapon instead.

-Nice to see a Giant in your list!

sssk
09-04-2011, 19:12
-Looks like you are going for the signature spell spam here and that's fine, but it does make your magical defence rather weak. Since GW took a crap on our Spirit Totem a level 4 is (as far as I'm concerned) more or less necessary for your army's magical defence. In addition a Dispel Scroll is always a good investment.

Contrary to logical belief, i'm not actually going for signature spell spam. I'm going for "a level 4 wizard spread over 4 models". The idea is that the mushrooms essentially remove the loss from not having +4 to cast (the shamen get +1 to cast anyway, plus D6), and make me immune to lost concentration, wizard assassination etc. The lack of dispelling ability may be a problem, but I think it's easily outweighed by protection from assassination (many of my games so far have involved my wizard being killed in the first turn by dwellers or something else, so you get used to not having +4 to dispel).

-Are your Night Goblin Big Bosses equipped that way because of the models you have at your disposal or do you simple like the mix? I'm one of the recent converts of Malorian's Night Goblin Big Boss set up (armed with great weapons).

Yeah, great weapons is optimum, but I like the big boss models, so I pretty much have one of each, and equip them WYSIWYG. They still prove very useful in the right situation.

-Is your Goblin Warboss supposed to do some fighting in the front rank or will he be deployed in the archer unit?

He's usually in one of my 50 goblin units, but regardless of equipment he never really does enough killing to be worth any magic weapons etc. I was tempted by an ogre blade or +2 attack blade though.

-I'd drop the NG champions a total waste if points IMO. Three Night Goblin Bosses weigh in at 30 points and you can almost get another Night Goblin Big Boss with great weapon instead.

True, I think I'll remove them. they're only really there to get rid of hard characters for a turn, and when you point out that I could get another big boss.... the choice is obvious.

-Nice to see a Giant in your list!

Jind made me do it..... that and a cheap ebay purchase and lack of hard hitting things

Jind_Singh
11-04-2011, 17:20
Waaagh Sssk!

I'd actually look at combing the archer unit into one beefy unit:

1) You save 55pts - PUMP WAGON! (or Wolf Chariot)

2) You have one big unit - enemy players won't be able to help themselves with their template attacks - it's irresistible lure!

Trolls - I'd personally be fine with a unit of 6 - the other 3 saves me enough points for more hitty stuff like MORE CHARIOTS! More pimp wagons or wolf chariots please! Or even Hoppers/Squig Herd - the sky is the limit!

And I see your wisdom in spreading out the Shamans, but it also means looking after FOUR shamans as opposed to a single one, try it out and see how it works for you. I'd maybe look at a single level two and two level ones (actually I'd just go two level twos as I save 30pts which means more toys)!

MagosHereticus
20-04-2011, 15:29
i recommend mangler squigs and a large squig herd, ive found it tough without them

Charterhouse
20-04-2011, 16:16
I agree with Jind I'd have 3 chariots personally. Whether you run them as 1 unit or 3 can be varied depending upon opponent but I love chariot spam.

sssk
21-04-2011, 10:37
yeah, chariots are probably the next thing on my "to get" list. I think they really have to be run as 3 single chariots, because otherwise they're just too many points and too risky. Unfortunately I'm not overly impressed with the wolf chariot model, so I'm hunting around for some more...substantial models (I'll stick a picture of my current chariot on here when I get a chance).

In an ideal world I'd have a pump wagon or two in there as well, unfortunately I'm limited by not owning any, and being fairly unwilling to fork out however many hundred pounds a pump wagon costs these days (ebay might come to my rescue one day).

If the flippin' northern UK weather would just get back to the usual wind and rain, I should be playing a few games over the next week or so. However it seems rude to stay inside when the sky is actually blue (this happens approximately once per year). We'll see...

Anyway, I'll feed back with what works and what doesn't (though I already find the multiple level 1s to be a pretty good tactic).