PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Ream of battle gameboard

Ultrasmurf
09-04-2011, 10:16
Recently I have just came in to some money and i would like to know what do people think of the citadel realm of battle gameboard.

Malakai
09-04-2011, 10:27
I like mine. It's one of the better investments I've made in the hobby. Could have done with fewer skulls though.. :eyebrows:

Trick
09-04-2011, 10:30
I like it. If you don't have the time/skill/patience to build your own from board and other materials (which would be cheaper) then its perfect.

I bought one with my student loan and love it. The only thing is you pretty much need to flock it. If you were hoping for an ice or rock board or something then I'd recommend against. Without flock, models constantly slide and fall across the board, but with it there's no problem whatsoever. I'd recommend you get the Citadel scenery painting kit too, it comes with enough paint and flock to do your whole board and base an army to match!

Soon to get even better when Forgeworld's expansion tile is released too!

Trick

eldargal
09-04-2011, 10:34
We have ten home made tables in my group which see several games every week. They need touch ups and maintenance every month or two. A while ago we bought a RoB to put into the rotation just because we heard it is durable. It is, after a year or so of several games a week not a single touch up required. We bought two more just to reduce the amount of maintenance we were doing on tables.

Point being, it is very nice looking and very, very durable. It is very expensive but worth it if you have it.

The Marshel
09-04-2011, 10:35
If you want a board but dont feel the attraction of building one yourself then go for it.

But if you think you might actually enjoy building you're own you really should take that route instead. its significantly cheaper and not all that hard to do.

Malakai
09-04-2011, 10:40
I would recommend getting the expansion flat tiles too. There are only 2 flat tiles in the 6x4 set. If you're into 40K and like using lots of buildings you're going to need some extra flat surfaces.

Ultrasmurf
09-04-2011, 10:41
Thanks for all of your quick reply's it sounds very useful but another quick question is it a good board to play Planetstrike games on it

VanDoo
09-04-2011, 10:42
When people say significantly cheaper to do it yourself, how much cheaper does that actually amount to in dollars? Roughly.

fluffymcfluff
09-04-2011, 10:53
When people say significantly cheaper to do it yourself, how much cheaper does that actually amount to in dollars? Roughly.

I just recently finished our groups board, 8'x4' solid piece cost around $45 dollars in total.

As said above, they do require some maintence. As always, to each their own

Volchek
09-04-2011, 11:12

Well, the GW US site has the 6x4 RoB for $290.

Let me put it this way. For Flames of War I built four 2'x4' modular game boards using 3/4" pine bracing and 2'x4' 3/16" pre-cut masonite boards from home depot. Even after buying a gallon of dark green acrylic wall paint off the returns shelf in the paint department and 8 bags of woodland scenics medium green and brown flock and 3 bottles of ballast cement, it was still less than $50 in materials.

eldargal
09-04-2011, 11:16
Making your own is much, much cheaper but it requires more skills and much, much more time. We do both, as I said, RoB have their own uses particularly if your boards see a lot of use and you don't want to re-touch them constantly. It is also not particularly difficultto make modular board pieces that will fit in with RoB pieces, though they won't clip together.

self biased
09-04-2011, 11:34
I've always found the clips to be rather superlative, actually. the thing I didn't like about them (and modular tables in general) is that there are only so many ways to effectively set up the table.

The Marshel
09-04-2011, 12:24

depends what you want to do exactly

AUS realms of battle is like $450

6 by 4 Sheet of MDF from bunnings sets me back about $10

wood for the frame is about the same.

static grasses i have on hand, though if u feel it must be factored in, you can buy huge packets that'll never run out for $20 at hobby stores

Generic sand, free - maybe 10 bucks for a huge pack that will never run out

Paints, $5 sample pots

whack it all together and it'll probably coat $30 -$45. you can purchase instalation foams for deatails like hills if you wish, that'd be like $10-$20 more

all up, $350 - $400 saved in australia, pretty significant if you ask me

rkunisch
09-04-2011, 12:31
I have two sets in my dungeon and I like them. Apart from the price the product is really nice. I was a bit disappointed by the linking clips, though. You still need a good base (e.g. a table) to put it on top.

Cheers,

Rolf.

Hellebore
09-04-2011, 12:37
The plastic board isn't that detailed either. Especially if you put flock on it as it hides the sculpted work.

If you flock the whole board so it looks like a green meadow, then it will look like any board you've built, except with skull pits in it.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2030130_99229999065_GamingBoard02_873x627.jpg

That's GW's flocked version, which looks like a flat board with hills sitting on it. It has visible skull pits but the built in hills could just as easily have been separate ones. Remove those built in hills and that board above's only sculpted feature is the various skull pits. Something you could easily do by making a greenstuff mold of the face of a skeleton and then putting multiple copies in the ground with some putty around it like broken ground.

A 6x4 flocked mdf board with plastic GW hills on it wouldn't look noticeably different to that photo, or just insulating foam hills.

Unfortunately as said above, if you don't flock it the models slide around everywhere. So the best use of the table is really making it look like any table you could make yourself, which negates the reason you paid so much for it.

If the board actually had any outstanding sculpting or distinguising terrain on it, then I might be more forgiving.

But what you are paying for is 6 plastic squares to play on instead of 6 wooden ones. I don't find the lightness worth paying 10x the amount you could make them for.

EDIT: To add further, if you flocked your GW board, well that takes as much time as flocking a 6x4 mdf board. And as you can see from the photo, it just looks like a 6x4 board with flock on it. Which means getting an mdf board and flocking it takes as much time to make as the ROB board does, negating the advantage the ROB board has over a DIY...

Hellebore

sigur
09-04-2011, 14:19
It's okay but I really, really don't like the clearly visible borders between the single tiles. Apart from that, I agree about getting additional flat tiles.

Personally, I prefer the old grass mat with regular terrain on top. Cheap, easy to use, easy to store, looks proper.

Bunnahabhain
09-04-2011, 14:27
Not worth it.

Depending on your level of ability, and what tools you have, you can save 60-90% of the price, by making your own.

Modular boards are only a good idea if you have very limited storage space. Otherwise, flat 6x4 of similar boards, with separate scenery is easier, cheaper, faster, and more flexible. And doesn't have the visible gaps either...

Killgore
09-04-2011, 14:34
Iv never regretted buying the RoB, For someone with limited storage space, no table making skills with little time for making and maintaining my own one it was a good buy

Look around for online stores that sell them cheaper then GW retail, you can save some good ĢĢĢ

For planetstrike games check out ForgeWorld's 'Strongpoint' expansion tile they released at their recent open day http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Events/Strongpoint.html

Heres hoping GW and FW release more tiles like this in the future

Lord Gabranth
09-04-2011, 16:53
At my LGS, all of us that play down there pitched in to buy the RoB boards. They are some of the best boads I have played on and are durable as hell. It still was fairly expensive but we found ours on ebay and saved a good chunk of money

Angelwing
09-04-2011, 18:01
Eye wateringly expensive. I can see their use when bought collectively for a club, but for private use, unless you have money to burn, make your own. Plenty of good cheap suggestions already posted.

Shamutanti
09-04-2011, 18:08
Never regretted the two boards I own personally. Never.

In fact I find it a pain in the bottom to go to clubs and gaming stores where they use crappy polystirine boards, chipped wooden table tops or misshaped panels.

I know at least my RoB boards will stay around and take more punishment. The hassle of maintainence isn't worth my time.

big squig
09-04-2011, 18:33
It's a cool table, but really slippery. If you end up flocking it, you might as well just by a sheet of wood. I mean that kind of defeats the purpose.

Still building your own terrain is vastly cheaper, is super simple (really it takes like no skill) and only takes a bit more time to do than painting the RoB board.

Also, I recommend zuzzy mats. Way better. Check it out. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215052)

xxRavenxx
09-04-2011, 19:34
It's a cool table, but really slippery.

Having recently installed one in my shop, I honestly dont see why people claim it is slippery. The steeper slopes of the hills are terrible, but no amount of flock would fix that :P The rest of it though, everything stays put on.

spaghettyhoop
09-04-2011, 23:42
Ive also just got one and used it a couple of times so far, the only thing that slipped was my Talos, and that was on the steepest slope. Considering thats a huge metal model, it was fair enough!

I think its really good quality. Way easier than building my own, and I love the fact I can pack it up and take it to a friends if we decide to play elsewhere for a change!

Also, dont buy it from GW. Theres plenty of stores you can get it cheaper online. I got mine from a local independant store for Ģ120!

susu.exp
10-04-2011, 02:09
Thanks for all of your quick reply's it sounds very useful but another quick question is it a good board to play Planetstrike games on it

I canīt see why not. Then again PS really benefits from building boards just to play PS. On a standard board, you can set up some terrain pieces. On a PS board you can actually model defense work in a more elaborate way, set bastions into cliff-faces, etc. As the defender gets to set up the terrain as the main advantage, this is what makes PS different. - Itīs more about the terrain than anything else (think of building your defensive position board as building a unit or two for your army - the opponent gets those preliminary strikes and some neat abilities in return).

Depends on what you want to do. As others have noted, some MDF sheets and some foam insulation are rather cheap. If you want to go wild, thereīs pretty much no upper end, but on the low side 40$ (US) build a board thatīs roughly on par with the ROBB (though itīll be somewhat heavier, no issue if you donīt need to move it around much).

Hellebore
10-04-2011, 02:15
For a board as good as the ROB one get 6 precut 2x2 mdf boards (say 6mm thick or 10mm), some bulk bags of flock and a few GW plastic hills. In the same time it takes you to paint and flock the ROB you will have a board that looks virtually the same for far cheaper. The GW plastic hills will be the most expensive part of the process.

Hellebore

MarshalFaust
10-04-2011, 02:34
Building your own is cheaper bit may require you to have access to certain tools and more importantly the time. I never regretted buying mine

Bunnahabhain
10-04-2011, 10:15
Building your own is cheaper bit may require you to have access to certain tools and more importantly the time. I never regretted buying mine

Many places supplying timber etc will cut it for free, or for something like Ģ0.50 a cut or so, so removing any need for a saw, annd saving some people much time. So then it its buying the hills.

You'll want paint, flock and brushes both ways.

magath
10-04-2011, 11:29
I bought one. Probably one of the best things I've bought in ages.

Let me explain. I live in a tiny little room thats like a broom cupboard. I share a house with 5 other people, we have no space at all. I could either have a permanent game table set up or sleep on a bed. space is at a bit of a premium.

The RoBB is quite handy for me as its just as robust as having a set up board but its easy enough to store away. Plus I can transport it easily to my mates houses and back, plus its far more detailed than anything I could reasonably achieve myself. In addition, given I work every day 8am - 11pm there is no way in hell I'd have time to make one myself. with the RoBB, half a day off and it was done.

I plan on getting a second one when my diocese stipend comes in :D

Clang
11-04-2011, 05:50
The RoB comes in its own carry case, yes? So that's another point against making one yourself, _IF_ you'll need to lug the board around a lot, especially if you don't have a vehicle.

Mactemplar
11-04-2011, 10:15
Just out of interest, how long does it take to put together when you play?

xxRavenxx
11-04-2011, 10:28
Just out of interest, how long does it take to put together when you play?

30 seconds? Longer if you bother putting every single clip in place (which is a waste of time)

Re: The make your own board philosophy.

I have done a couple of tabletops in my store, and due to wear caused by "messy kids with no respect" had to replace them twice. Fed up with this, I've gone with the nice hard plastic. Any damage can be undone with a spray of an airbrush.

They really are nice, and it does save you hours of building work and such.

Also, in terms of MDF, you need to frame it if its modular, or it warps like mad. You also need to be aware that a lot of places only sell 6x4 boards of MDF, and when cut, you'll lose about 2/3 an inch off the entire thing.

Easy E
11-04-2011, 13:17
I will second Hellebore.

If you want something portable and inexpensive, I would just go buy a green picnic table cover Usually 8x5 rectangle, and sponge/spray paint two other shades of green over it.

Put some stacks of books on the table, cover with table cloth, and use picnic table clips to hold in place. If you want, you can paint those green as well. Done.

This costs (including paint) about $20 US tops. Plus, you can literally fold it up and take it anywhere, and store it just about anywhere, including stuffed in a backpack with your rulebooks. I takes no skill to make. The investment is about 2 hour including dry time, with about 10 minutes of actual work invovled.

Mercutius
11-04-2011, 14:06
One of the best things I ever buyed from GW!

And it's like always: time versus money!

And to be fair: you need lots and lots of time if you realy want a detailed board that fits nicley together and hold it's quality over a long periode of playing and therefore of putting it together and store it away.

I have'nt that much spare time, and the all-day-question of: building on the board or paint one of my armys always prefer the army, so even if I could build me a good board (and believe me, I could :-)), I never did it, so I just buyed the board, flocket it a little bit and had a good board :-).

And if you're unexperiend in modelling, your do-it-yourself-board will become out much more expensive when you are willing to set that amount of money per hour for your building time in compariosn to that money that you could earn in the same time for work ;-).

Easy E: Before we had two of the ROB boards, we also played on that 10-minutes-to-build-bords, it was alwaya a shame for our great minitures, now with the board, the become the battle-field they deserve :-)

BTW: here's mine: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210301

Novrain
11-04-2011, 15:46
I have been looking at getting on of the Zuzzy battle mats, and a foldable table from Argos.

Cheaper than a ROB but a bit better than a self made one.

Bunnahabhain
11-04-2011, 15:51
For sheer ease of storage, a rollable battle mat is much better. If you need the tabletop as well, a simple sheet of 6x4 is easy, and can be stored under a bed, down the side of a wardrobe or similar out the way locations

I assume people are adding buildings, walls, woods, etc to the table, even if using the RoB board, which need storage regardless of what table they go on...

szlachcic
11-04-2011, 15:55
My advice if you are serious about getting one is to look on eBay. I bought mine about a year and a half ago for a large discount. I took the money I saved and paid for someone to professionally paint it as I hate making/painting terrain. It is easily one of the best hobby purchases I have made.

As others have said, the perks are it is extremely durable, plus you can shove it into the carrying bag for storage or in order to bring it to a club/friend's house. If you don't like the skulls there are easy ways to minimize or eliminate them.

You can see mine towards the bottom of the first painting log I have linked in my sig. The seam lines appear much worse in the picture, in real life they don't stand out nearly as much.