PDA

View Full Version : DE bloodbrides, whats the thinking?

High speed low drag
10-04-2011, 00:48
Hi seers, I read the entry and decided to have a unit of 9 bloodbrides in a unit that looks like this:

raider, enhanced sail, night shield

archon, huskblabe, soul trap, shadowfield

8 bloodbrides, 3 hydra gauntlets, syren, agonizer

what do you guys think of this, good enough to do against the grey knight termie armies or are there better choices?

VanDoo
10-04-2011, 01:22
-Raider: Drop sail and shield, get flickerfield.
-Archon: switch for Succubus.
-Bloodbrides: drop gauntlets, get shardnets + impalers.

But if you really want my opinion, you should just get a squad of Wyches and drop the Bloodbrides completely. Both basically fullfill the role of tarpit pretty much equally effectively, but Wyches are cheaper and Troops. If combat power is what you're looking for, I'd go with Incubi or Beastmasters.

3+savesarefornoobs
10-04-2011, 02:21
I agree with above.

Against MEQs you want Incubi to kill them Wyches to tarpit them.

Tordeck
10-04-2011, 02:52
If they were Wychs I would agree but they are not. Bloodbrides should not be used as a tarpit.

Only thing i would change is lose the sails and gain a flickerfield

VanDoo
10-04-2011, 03:16
Bloodbrides should not be used as a tarpit.

Bloodbrides should not be used at all, basically. Wyches are better tarpits (due to being cheaper thus you can get more), Beastmasters are better torrenters and Incubi are better MEQ killers.

Bloodbrides are the definition of "Meh"

DeeKay
10-04-2011, 12:45
As others have said, Bloodbrides aren't really worth the cost or the elites choice. The points would be better spent on normal wyches. If the Bloodbrides must be taken as such, it might be a better idea to hold them in reserve and bring them on with a webway portal. That way, you eliminate the risk of casualties if the Raider they're in is destroyed.

With regards,
Dan.

Raibaru
10-04-2011, 23:23
One of many units in the book that make little to no sense outside of a themed list.

Unless you're planning a wyche army I wouldn't bother taking them. They aren't much more killy than normal wyches (S3 is horrible) and they're really just an agonizer delivery system like the troop selection.

Fist full of Pills
10-04-2011, 23:46
For bloodbrides I would only IMO max them out with shardnets. But I never run with bloodbrides I always use wyches for all the reasons stated above. I love all three of my wych squads.

Oh and you missed one big thing! COMBAT DRUGS ON YOUR ARCHON!!!!

Firmlog
12-04-2011, 08:35
I could see bloodbrides being usefull as and HQ command squad. Since troops can be bought in units of 9 you can't put and HQ with them in a raider. If you are webwaying that's something different. But put lelith in a bloodbride squad and they will tie up any solid cc squad/mosterous creature. With Lelith you have a decent number of attacks though at a low str. reducing a monsterous creature/ enemy HQ by 4 wounds and getting 4+ invulns. Yes you will likely wound on 6's.

With an archaon with huskblade it will turn from a tarpit unit to absolutely devastating cc unit over the course of the game. If you take the duke, in another unit of course, they will be awesome if you roll +str. or start with a paint token.

Don't use every game though. If your opponent expects them, they'll die first everytime.

The guantlets are good, but best if you get +1 str. for the unit otherwise reducing enemy attacks has always worked better for me.

a1elbow
12-04-2011, 15:08
I could see bloodbrides being usefull as and HQ command squad. Since troops can be bought in units of 9 you can't put and HQ with them in a raider. If you are webwaying that's something different. But put lelith in a bloodbride squad and they will tie up any solid cc squad/mosterous creature. With Lelith you have a decent number of attacks though at a low str. reducing a monsterous creature/ enemy HQ by 4 wounds and getting 4+ invulns. Yes you will likely wound on 6's.

With an archaon with huskblade it will turn from a tarpit unit to absolutely devastating cc unit over the course of the game. If you take the duke, in another unit of course, they will be awesome if you roll +str. or start with a paint token.

Don't use every game though. If your opponent expects them, they'll die first everytime.

The guantlets are good, but best if you get +1 str. for the unit otherwise reducing enemy attacks has always worked better for me.

Are you talking about taking nine and not getting both special weapons on the Wyches? Otherwise I'm not sure what that part meant.

I personally don't see a lot of use for Bloodbrides. They throw out a lot of attacks, but personally I don't want Wyches of any sort sitting out in the open, which is what will happen if you take them as a maxed out killy squad. On the other hand, if they are just there to tie things up (say, a MC-although at that point, why aren't you poison torrenting it?) then why bother paying for more attacks?

10 Wyches w/ 2 special weapons=120
9 Bloodbrides w/ 3 special weapons=147

I would rather have that 27 points elsewhere than in a squad just looking to tie someone up.

Now, Brides do have an extra point of Ld, but I'd still take a Hekatrix with a Venom Blade in that Wych squad (and still cost less than the Brides) and have a scoring unit with a model making three (2+) poison attacks a turn.

magath
12-04-2011, 15:21
I went with 3 sets of razor flails.

simply because I think they're a waste on wyches, shardnet and impailer are probably better on wyches as a speedbump and they allow re-rolls on 3 attacks rather than 2.

I like the idea and I went with a unit of 9 also, simply so i could shove a succubus in there and make it a unit of 10. :D

Sami
12-04-2011, 16:17
Don't listen to the "no sail" posts - they are a god-send if you need to redeploy quickly. Seeing as you can't disembark if you go flat out, you might as well get the extra movement speed from it.

Of course, I wouldn't take BB anyway, but for my 2 regular Wych squads they are IMO a must.