PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Nasty Skulkers

ftayl5
10-04-2011, 05:59
Just a quick question guys.
Lets imagine I have a 40 man unit, 5 wide, of Goblins with Full Command. There are also 2 Big Bosses in there.
3 Nasty Skulkers jump out, pushing the command to the back so that the front rank looks like this:

Skulker Big Boss Skulker Big Boss Skulker

Would the enemy unit (engaging my unit in the front) be able to allocate attacks to the goblins (there wouldn't be any in base to base)?

Long story short, for targeting purposes - do skulkers count as goblins - will excess wounds on a skulker be carried over to the unit? Must they be targeted separately?

sssk
10-04-2011, 07:25
The command group always has to be at the front (page 92 of big rule book "position within the unit"). So in your situation, you'd have 2 big bosses and a skulker in the second rank.

To answer the other question, I don't think additional wounds on skulkers will be passed to the unit, as they're classified as characters, so it's much the same as attacking a shaman (which has the same stats as a gobbo for fighting).

Hope that helps

ftayl5
10-04-2011, 07:56
That page also says that if there's no room, then they go to the second rank.
So if characters must go to the front rank and command must go to the front rank unless there's no room, I assumed you'd just get to choose who goes where.

Maybe it's in the FAQ
EDIT: It isn't.

sssk
10-04-2011, 08:49
But in the characters section under "position in the unit" it says rank and file models, except for the command group that must remain in the front rank, are moved to the back ranks to make room for characters. If there is no room in the front rank, some CHARACTERS will have to go in the second rank.

ergo, command stays at the front (though I think bretts have an exception to this in their army book)

I believe the bit you highlighted is if, for instance, the unit is only 2 models wide, and has 3 command figures, or if you can have loads of command models (like slayers having multiple champions)

EDIT: incidentally, I think this means that if you didn't have any command models, the enemy wouldn't be able to target the unit if you have 2 big bosses and 3 skulkers. Obviously they would than annihilate the skulkers and attack the unit next turn, but for that first turn they wouldn't be able to attack the unit.

ftayl5
10-04-2011, 09:40
OK, that makes sense, thanks.
I might just have to try that...

GodlessM
10-04-2011, 15:13
sssk is right about the command pushing the characters back.

As for the OP question, wounds are never carried over as such; you wound what you attack and excess is lost.

AMWOOD co
11-04-2011, 01:54
sssk is right about the command pushing the characters back.

As for the OP question, wounds are never carried over as such; you wound what you attack and excess is lost.

Agreed. Also, the original poster's example is still possible if there is no command (a rarity for goblins but possible).

Kalandros
12-04-2011, 07:56
"Make Way" will displace command models to the 2nd rank until the characters can come back to the 2nd rank.

And skulkers are Characters, thus they do not allow excess wounds to go onto their unit or excess wounds onto the unit to kill them like a unit champion - you have to target specifically.