PDA

View Full Version : CSM Lord and WYSIWYG

Pooky
10-04-2011, 13:06
I'm gathering ideas for my Chaos Space Marine Lord and would like some opinions about how WYSIWYG the model needs to be. The Lord kit-out I'm making includes Terminator Armor, Mark of Khorne and Daemon Weapon. I have some questions about the following:

How big does the Mark of Khorne 'mark' need to be? I was thinking of using the Khorne Berzerker trinket (the one on the end of the Berzerker chainsword) attached to his armor as a 'belt buckle'. Is that big enough?

With the Daemon Weapon, I was thinking the Lord could weild dual Khorne Bloodletter swords, i.e. one in each hand. I figured the Khorne Lord was a real 'Khorne' follower then he would dual weild and be a total butcher. This then also adds to the Daemon Weapon being '2 handed'. This then leads to his Combi-Bolter wargear. I was thinking of using a pair of the new Grey Knights storm bolters with one on each arm.

Do these sound plausible? Would you pass this as WYSIWYG for a tournament?

TheConverter15
10-04-2011, 14:16
Sounds ok and i would pass this but can the CSM Lord take a demon weapon and a combi weapon? I assumed that because it was two handed there would be no room? Correct me if I am wrong! Also when this is done post it!

Bubble Ghost
10-04-2011, 15:02
Marks of Chaos aren't physical pieces of wargear, it just means he's been literally marked somehow by his god. He could have tentacles for arms, red skin, sharp teeth, warped armour, or an embarassing birthmark. All you ought to do is make sure it's a clearly Khorney model, in any way you choose. Sounds like you've got that covered.

You are allowed both a combi-weapon and a daemon weapon. And the way you're planning on doing it sounds perfectly WYSIWIG to me, not that I'm too up to speed with the tournament scene.

MajorWesJanson
10-04-2011, 15:59
The GK terminator storm bolter arms are all left handed, so you can get away with just using one. They do make life easy though, as they have no hand by default, so you can just add a hand with the sword directly to the wrist.

Earthbeard
10-04-2011, 17:37
Sounds more than reasonable enough to me, anyone that disagrees, is taking the mick imho.

LonelyPath
10-04-2011, 19:28
Sounds like a fun model and it matches the WYSIWYG well. I may have to borrow this idea if I add another lord to my CSM sollcection ;)

Scalebug
10-04-2011, 19:47
Now, before I'd put together that model, I'd take a closer look of the math of the build. (Hint: Khornate Lord with Daemon weapon is going to spend an not inconsiderable time wrestling his own swords...)

If it is the look of the weapons you area after, and want a more competitive piece, consider mounting the Hellblades from the wrists instead and take a Lord with dual lightning claws.

Other than that, I see no problem with your original idea... would stop at taking only one wrist mounted stormbolter though, the point of WYSIWYG is that you should see what a model is armed with, and he only has one, not two/twinlinked. It's not that it's going to be that much of an impact as, like, finding out a Heavy bolter was a Lascannon or such, but for consistency's sake.

Would also spend the few extra points to upgrade his combi-bolter to a bolter/plasma variant, for a one salvo extra punch. Like the wrist-mount though..

Pooky
10-04-2011, 20:59
Converting a Grey Knight storm bolter for the right arm would not be that difficult, I believe all you would need to do is swap the ammo feed to the other side.

And I would agree that having a storm bolter on each army may be too many, but the mental image I got with him having one on the left looked 'out of balance'.

At any rate, thanks for the positive feedback. I will post pics of the WiP! :D

OneMeanDuck
11-04-2011, 02:42
ahhh the beautiful thing about chaos lords is you can give them possessed arms and weapons and call the anything you want and keep the WYSIWYG. I mean he has a giant fist with claws sticking out of it on each army... Powerfist, check, lightning claws, check, deamon weapon (Mutated daemon hands:evilgrin:) check

Eddiethehott
11-04-2011, 02:46
currently for my khorne lord w/ terminator armor I am working on using the daemon prince sword (the biggest one) and in his off hand putting the Dreadknight's sword. I love the idea of swords that are implausibly large.

MajorWesJanson
11-04-2011, 02:54
currently for my khorne lord w/ terminator armor I am working on using the daemon prince sword (the biggest one) and in his off hand putting the Dreadknight's sword. I love the idea of swords that are implausibly large.

The Dreadknight sword that has "Imperator" engraved on it? :p

that thing is twice the height of the average marine, and is attached to a fist the size of an astartes torso. It would be worse than trying to carry a Buster Sword.

Carlosophy
11-04-2011, 09:21
Now, before I'd put together that model, I'd take a closer look of the math of the build. (Hint: Khornate Lord with Daemon weapon is going to spend an not inconsiderable time wrestling his own swords...)

Its just like someone on Warseer to take the fun out of modelling a great-sounding conversion with thoughts of viability; Bloodfeeder is awesome and a lot of fun if you get the right dice rolls.

More randomness in the game is a good thing as it gives you more stories to tell and more to laugh at. Its either 'remember that time my Lord took out your whole death company with his 15 attacks?' or 'Remember that suicidal charge by Lord did against your Death Company, only for his swords to turn and have him butchered?'

Oh, and for the record Daemon Weapons have no set WYSIWYG restrictions. If you wanted to give your Lord a walking stick or a set of chopsticks and say it is daemonically possessed there really is nothing to stop you, such are the joys of Chaos.
And if you take out a whole Death Company with chopsticks, you have an even better story than before!

Scalebug
11-04-2011, 10:49
Haha! I was just offering some advice... I'm usually all for style over substance, but Khornate Daemonweapon is a... not so good... option, and will leave you frustrated a lot of the time (nearly 1/3 of combat rounds), so it would be a shame to spend a lot of time and money on a conversion that will dissapoint you ruleswise.

LonelyPath
11-04-2011, 12:41
And if you take out a whole Death Company with chopsticks, you have an even better story than before!
Now that would be pure win! Chow mein for the Blood God!!!!

If you think it's fun and in fitting with your idea of the army, go for it. It's your army and your models. I used the lightning claws on on lord and say they're a daemon weapon. I liked the look of the claws so I used them. On my other one I have a double ended battle axe (yes, that one is a phornate lord).

Max1mum
11-04-2011, 12:41
Converting a Grey Knight storm bolter for the right arm would not be that difficult, I believe all you would need to do is swap the ammo feed to the other side.

And I would agree that having a storm bolter on each army may be too many, but the mental image I got with him having one on the left looked 'out of balance'.

At any rate, thanks for the positive feedback. I will post pics of the WiP! :D

I can see this working like a charm....If you would want to 'dual' wield bolters like that you could use the blood angel wrist mounted bolters. One arm would be the bolter, the other the 'combi' ?

Haha! I was just offering some advice... I'm usually all for style over substance, but Khornate Daemonweapon is a... not so good... option, and will leave you frustrated a lot of the time (nearly 1/3 of combat rounds), so it would be a shame to spend a lot of time and money on a conversion that will dissapoint you ruleswise.

That depends on pooky's objective.

if the objective is to build a kick ass model that distracts the opponent because it is to cool to be true. Then the game results might be less then important.

Eddiethehott
11-04-2011, 15:14

that thing is twice the height of the average marine, and is attached to a fist the size of an astartes torso. It would be worse than trying to carry a Buster Sword.

Well obviously I'd shave it off silly, also that's kind of the point of this, the Daemon Prince's sword is also obscenely huge.

Who's to say my Khorne Lord didn't mutate with HUGE many arms?

Pooky
11-04-2011, 23:01
That depends on pooky's objective.

if the objective is to build a kick ass model that distracts the opponent because it is to cool to be true. Then the game results might be less then important.

I was looking to build a model that was cool to look at (but not a Golden Daemon winner) and was affective in assault (but not a piece of cheese) and for it to fit in with the theme of the army. To sum up, I was trying to make a model that covers all bases as much as possible without 'breaking the bank' on any one area, (eg, go for a totally cool looking model that was illegal and useless in game).

To that end, some fluff about the army... The army name is 'The Steel Devils of Hate'. The entire army is mounted in transports and the Lord rides around in a tricked out Land Raider with a heap of skull details.

Scalebug
12-04-2011, 11:12
... and the part of "effective in an assault" there is why I advice you to consider if getting no attacks and hurting himself if he rolls one or two 1:s on two dice each phase is worth the possible high number of attacks, or if he is not better of with Lightning claws (still, as I suggested, using the khornate blades if that is the look you are going for)?

AlphariusOmegon20
12-04-2011, 15:32

The "imperator" can be covered up with a small piece of plasticard. The giant "I" symbol cutout in the middle of the sword can't. (well it can, but it's difficult to do.)

I'd suggest one of the swords from the DP kit instead. One pin and you're done.

If you want something smaller, I've used the Ensorcelled swords from the knight kit before too.

Pooky
14-04-2011, 00:04
... and the part of "effective in an assault" there is why I advice you to consider if getting no attacks and hurting himself if he rolls one or two 1:s on two dice each phase is worth the possible high number of attacks, or if he is not better of with Lightning claws (still, as I suggested, using the khornate blades if that is the look you are going for)?

I originally wanted to use Lightning Claws on the model, but it just didn't look Chaos-y enough. Admittedly, yes, the CSM Lord Lightning Claws are very sexy and are Choas looking, but then I wouldn't really have a chance to flex my modelling side. That and has been mentioned before, having the random element to the game will make it a little more interesting rather than just mechanical. I have had many mechanical armies in my time and I have reached a point in the hobby where I find mechanical games to be dull.