PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Empire (GT Worthy?)

RichBlake
11-04-2011, 00:38
Hey there Warseers,

Just wondering if I could get some feedback on this list? The infantry will all be 5 wide and as deep as possible, the rest is pretty straight forward:

Lords

Arch Lector
Great Weapon
Armour of Metoric Iron
Van Horstman's Specculum

Wizard Lord
Lore of Death
Level 4
Rod of Power

Heroes

Captain of the Empire
Battle Standard Bearer
Full Plate Armour
Enchanted Shield

Battle Wizard
Lore of Death
Level 2
Dispel Scroll

Core

Halbardier Regiment
34 Halbardiers
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant

Halbardier Regiment
34 Halbardiers
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant

Halbardier Regiment
33 Halbardiers
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant

Halbardier Regiment
33 Halbardiers
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant

Special

Cannon

Cannon

Mortar

Mortar

Greatsword Regiment
19 Greatswords
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant

Greatsword Regiment
19 Greatswords
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant

Rare

Hellblaster Volley Gun

Hellblaster Volley Gun

Jind_Singh
12-04-2011, 08:38
It's a very symmetrical looking army - and personally I think it lacks a lot of tools to help you win the long war!

Six core units - looks cool but what do they do? Too small to take a punishment, too big to throw away!

2 Great Swords - nice - so back them up with TWO massive infantry blocks! These 2 units now become a focus of worry for the enemy - but if I see just 33 Halberdiers...big deal I'd think to myself as he only has 1 Warrior Priest - so they will be just str 4....

Throw in a warrior priest so now the unit has hatred! (exchange for lvl 2 wizard).

You got Warmachines - but were are you close combat hammer units! Even 5 Knights with musician charging a flank - you can now look at winning combat res - and with your larger units...well it's going to go down!

So really my main concern is the overall lack of synergy in the list - it's not a bad list, but it's not quite a good one either!

RichBlake
14-04-2011, 01:06
It's a very symmetrical looking army - and personally I think it lacks a lot of tools to help you win the long war!

Six core units - looks cool but what do they do? Too small to take a punishment, too big to throw away!

I've been doing some playtesting for a Fantasy doubles tournament and I've found 5 wide a unit like that gets 6 ranks and generally thats enough for it to get maul'd and still stay stubborn.

Why does that help? In order to get something to charge in the flank. Also being 5 wide you minimise the number of attacks back.

2 Great Swords - nice - so back them up with TWO massive infantry blocks! These 2 units now become a focus of worry for the enemy - but if I see just 33 Halberdiers...big deal I'd think to myself as he only has 1 Warrior Priest - so they will be just str 4....

Throw in a warrior priest so now the unit has hatred! (exchange for lvl 2 wizard).

You got Warmachines - but were are you close combat hammer units! Even 5 Knights with musician charging a flank - you can now look at winning combat res - and with your larger units...well it's going to go down!

The greatswords were the hammer units. The knights tend to suck a bit imo just because they dont stay at a high enough strength level. The whole idea is the state troops stop a unit in its tracks then the greatswords hit them in the side. I could use knights with greathammers but then i'd need at least 15 of them to stand a chance of disrupting ranks.

The way i look at it is this:

10 Knights + command are roughly 240 points iirc
20 Greatswords + command is roughly the same i think, maybe less.

All it takes is 1 knight to die and they can't disrupt enemy ranks anymore, you'd have to kill 11 greatswords to do that.

so knights in the side of a unit if there's 9 of them do:

kills + 1 for flanking

whereas even 10 greatswords (so the unit at half strength) do:

kills + 1 for flanking + disruption (potentially -3 to combat res)

Plus the great swords stay at S5 the entire combat, knights revert to S3 unless you give them great weapons. Plus the great swords are stubborn.

From my experience the major advantage cavalry has is the speed mainly. However since what they really need to be effective in this edition is more then 1 attack on the profile empire knights kind of fail imo.

If someone can make a really convincing case for knights I'd give them a go though.

Likewise if someone can make a case for having fewer state troop units with more models in them I'm all ears, but the 4 units seemed to mean i get a decent spread, i can always double up if i need to anyway.