PDA

View Full Version : The Warseer Writers club.

Justicar_Freezer
11-04-2011, 02:27
So guys and gals on warseer I've been inspired by my time posting in the "It's going down....on Arcadia IV" thread. It seems to me that there is a bunch of talent here on warseer that is just waiting for an outlet so that it can be tapped. I think what the Arcadia IV thread has become is an impressive meeting of minds working together to create an interesting and enjoyable story for all the parties involved as well as any who stumble upon it.

So seeing as that thread is the most fun I've had here on warseer perhaps since I've started posting here I have a proposal which I would like to hear your feedback on.

My proposal is this. What if every few weeks, or every month one of us were to post a "seed" so to speak. A beginning of a story or simply an outline of an idea and the rest of us would read it and take turns adding our own chapters to the story until it ran it's course and came to an ending everyone enjoyed.

Do you guys and gals of warseer think this would be a good/fun idea?

Okuto
11-04-2011, 02:50
I was actually hoping we'd pump out a few chapters of Arcadia IV and then a new short story

Justicar_Freezer
11-04-2011, 04:43
I could see that. It seems there is a pretty motivated group putting things up for the Arcadia thread and I'd like to see where it goes. Thanks for posting Okuto.

Son of Sanguinius
11-04-2011, 05:50
So basically a more expansive forum RPG story? As with all such ideas, the seriousness of authors will determine the quality. That, and avoiding the usual "MY CHARACTER ROXORS" situation.

Anyway, I'd be happy to join. :)

Justicar_Freezer
11-04-2011, 06:29
Yes I suppose you hit the nail on the head with that Son of Sanguinius. It would be much like a more expansive rpg where instead of simply focusing on one character the writers would be focusing on large scale things such as battle groups, or platoons of troops.

I also agree that the seriousness of the authors will be a large factor in how good anything we might create would be. As to the problem with people being to attached to their characters I think simple guidlines would go along way to keep problems to a minimum.

One of the simplest guidlines I can think of would be before making any event that would drasticaly change the story of another author in the living story send them a pm and talk things through with thim.

By an event drasticaly changing the story of another author I mean somthing like killing a key character in their arch or launching a massive offensive on their forces.

As to key events that would effect the entire and overall story they could always be posted and discussed on a thread like this one by the authors invovled so that a consensus could be reached as how to best move ahead.

It's an idea in it's infancy but I think with the talent here on warseer it could grow into something very very impressive.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

Konstantine
11-04-2011, 07:03
I think this is a great idea, and hope to be part of it. I truly enjoy what we are doing on that log over there XD

-Calvin

Col. Tartleton
11-04-2011, 21:28
I think it would be more fun to write little moments in lurid graphic 40k detail.

The valley swarmed with maddened and naked bodies of the natives. A cacophony of a million different war cries coalesced into an unmistakable and deafening roar:

"KHORNE! KHORNE! KHORNE!"

We took our firing stances, bringing up our heavy weapons to bear. My auto senses went to life and suddenly I felt a massive surging through my mind. A thousand targets presented themselves and were registered and cataloged. The chaos of battle became Imperial Order. Then I felt a surge of stimulants through my muscles and it seemed to flow on into the servomechanisms of my battle harness. The bolter in my hands felt light once more and guided by it's machine spirit I was rewarded by the Emperor's sight.

Within that throng of many a hundred thousand the Emperor brought me a vision of a naked savage. Her hair was tied back and her skin covered in inks or tattoos that contrasted with her alabaster complexion. Her body was taut and lithe, her narrow hips and flat chest unwomanly. She seemed to stare at me a moment, as if seeing me. Perhaps her barbarous patron granted her some perverse gift... perhaps he wanted me to know he was watching...

I depressed the firing mechanism and sent a thrice blessed armor piercing high explosive shell through her flat stomach which seemed to burst open in slow motion. Her entrails turned to liquid and her fluids became a mist of crimson on the breeze. Her comrades soon found themselves wet with what remained of her midsection while her mouth and eyes seemed to freeze in a blank death-stare before my eyes. The crowd became panicked suddenly as a dozen concealed warriors of the Adeptus Astartes sewed destruction through their midst. I suppressed the mixed feelings of murder with our ancient motto.

Courage and Honor.

Then I watched as they tore each other to ribbons in the confusion wrought by our diligence.

mob16151
12-04-2011, 00:08
I'd like to be part of it as well. I was suprised at how poular the Arcadia seed was.

P.S. I'll be doing some Arcadia POV tommorow after work.

agurus1
12-04-2011, 01:23
I like this idea, think I may post one after my last class of the day :P

Son of Sanguinius
12-04-2011, 01:58
Is this a thread about the Arcadia thing or are we starting something new?

Justicar_Freezer
12-04-2011, 02:46
Well this thread can be about the Arcadia thread for now and when that thread has run it's course we can start a new one or if guys want start a new one now and we can use this thread as a meeting point for ideas and comments between all of us.

Okuto
12-04-2011, 02:51
The Arcadia one is just started to get to a climax, we should finish that up first and then start a new one.

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
12-04-2011, 19:21
I like this idea, sounds fun! :D The thing is, though, that maybe having a regular 'seed' being planted every month could be pretty difficult. I know we're sticking with Arcadia at the moment (and I'm having great fun doing it with you guys, despite, being horribly outnumbered :P), but if we made a group that was too dedicated, it could get in the way of holidays, exams, jobs... As a fun More-In-Depth-RPG group though, it sounds great!!

Justicar_Freezer
14-04-2011, 01:10
Shas'o Gavner'Elan, you make a good point and perhaps a "seed" a month was a bit ambitious but what we could do would be to use this thread as a bit of a hub. Whenever someone had a seed idea come here first and post to see if anyone else would be interested in joining in with them.

That way everyone could keep in touch and the ideas could flow freely whenever they came up.

Commisar Dincher
17-04-2011, 03:29
I think this sounds like a great idea. I, like everyone else, have really enjoyed posting on the Arcadia thread. It would be great to start another thread once this one runs its course.

Justicar_Freezer
17-04-2011, 05:49
perhaps if we can generate enough interest in this the mods could sticky it so all of us who are particpating in it can find it nice and easy? Not sure I've never tried to have something made a sticky before.

Konstantine
17-04-2011, 06:12
I think, we need it to be in book format before we sticky it... Just my opinion. XD

-Calvin

Okuto
17-04-2011, 18:04
Actually I'm planning to mash everything everyone's written into a short book in the arcadian post. Just needs a few gaps filled and off topics fused to the main story and it'd be good to go.

I'm hoping I can get it under 220-250 pages, already have the first chapter down as we speak.

castellanash
17-04-2011, 18:15
I'd be happy to give it a shot if the short story I'm about to start posting receives decent approval from you guys...

Okuto
17-04-2011, 18:29
more the merrier I say

Justicar_Freezer
17-04-2011, 19:51
Okuto I think the idea of mashing what we've written into a book is a brillant idea. I'd love to have a copy of it when you finish because I think it's a cracking bit of 40k fiction we've come up with.

castellanash as Okuto said the more the merrier. Also I'll give your short story a read through when I get a chance. I find that those who tend to post here are talented and write enjoyable pieces.

Jaraknarn
18-04-2011, 13:52
Hey guys, i really like the sound of a collaborative story arc, an i'd be really interested in joining in. Im gonna give arcadia a read as soon as i get the chance and see what u guys have been producing. I tend to write well in short dense burst so this is probably the best way for me to write

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
18-04-2011, 19:45
Wow this is really cool seeing it actually happening! :D So would this book thing be using our Warseer names?

Okuto
18-04-2011, 22:07
You'd all get credited for your characters. I'm still writing up character webs so I can figure out who's gonna be in and their relations to one another. Also got alot of rr-reading to se what gets in what gets out

Son of Sanguinius
18-04-2011, 22:39
I'm confused. Are you guys talking about doing more on the Arcadia background or is a new project starting?

castellanash
18-04-2011, 22:43
I think it's a new project.... Not sure though

Konstantine
18-04-2011, 23:35
At the moment, Arcadia stuff. Otuko, if you need help, I'm your man.

-Calvin

Justicar_Freezer
18-04-2011, 23:44
To clear it up a bit. I started this thread to bring together those of who interested in writing in the 40k universe together in one thread. The idea was we could use this thread as a place to touch base with one another and toss ideas around for any "living" stories that we may decide to start together.

I was hoping we could throw ideas around for a new story seed once in awhile that we could all work on writing together and expanding. At the moment the one going on is the Arcadia thread. However once that one is done my hope is that we can work together here on this thread to come up with another idea we'd all like to post in and be part of.

One of the reasons I mentioned trying to get this thread stickied was so that we all would be able to find it easily enough to look over ideas that have been thrown around and to post new ones of our own.

Also to touch base with other writers working on the same story we might be working on so that if our part were to cross with theirs details could be sorted out.

Son of Sanguinius
19-04-2011, 01:54
Okay then, let's get serious. I want to work on a collaborative effort about the end times. The Time of Ending. The endgame. I want to wrap up the major plot lines and some of the more fun minor ones. I want the real apocalypse in literary form.

Which of you has an arrogance sufficient to match my own and think you can do this? :D

By the way, if you're reading this, Col. Tartleton, and you don't join, I'll consider myself thoroughly offended. :D

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
19-04-2011, 18:50
Wait, you want to write about the ABSOLUTE END of the 40k Universe?! :O That's ambitious... and very very interesting.

Son of Sanguinius
19-04-2011, 19:19
I want to write about a change as big as the War in Heaven or the Horus Heresy. Galaxy-spanning plots and wars where heroes die, villains scheme, and plenty of overthetop hyperbole gets used.

Not quite the reverse of the big bang, but a very different galaxy will be left in the wake.

Jaraknarn
19-04-2011, 19:40
Im up for anything where heroes die, and villains and baddies scheme.

I want to build our readers hopes then crush their favourite characters in front of their eyes!!

But thats just me. . . . . .

Son of Sanguinius
19-04-2011, 20:24
Well, for anyone who wants to hear a more lengthy description of what I have in mind (and a general outline of major events and primary characters), please PM me.

No-One
19-04-2011, 21:00
i'm definitely interested in throwing in some stuff for this if you guys will have me :)

Konstantine
19-04-2011, 22:04
Definitely interested in that idea, but I was thinking, should we have a timeline or like how/where things are fought out, so our stories connect? And perhaps tell other writers about our characters, and whose untouchable?

-Calvin

Son of Sanguinius
19-04-2011, 22:07
Ideally what I want is to establish the main end point for each faction in the story and make sure these ideas make sense and don't contradict one another. Then we can branch off and take responsibility for secondary factions of our choosing.

No-One
19-04-2011, 22:08
i already have the character i'm going to be writing/"playing", so you guys can go ahead and mark me down for writing an Eversor assassin, sent to take out [Insert Valuable Target Here], whether he completes the mission, lives, or dies, is unknown yet, but thats definitely something i'm wanting to write

Okuto
20-04-2011, 00:09
At the moment, Arcadia stuff. Otuko, if you need help, I'm your man.

-Calvin

Actually I'll need you to provide me with some character profiles for your guys.

Okuto
20-04-2011, 15:21
on a side note, heres the list of characters atm for the novel project, subject to change

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

4784th Imperial Guard Army
Lord General Harim Al’jazeed/Tallarn 331st
Colonel Ivanovich Chuikov/Vostroyan 18th
Corporal Sashakyin/Vostroyan 71st
Sergeant Tarovsky/Vostroyan 71st
Lt Bobrovsky/Naval Wing liaison
Jakob/Vostroyan 6th
Sgt Renzov/15th Salvar Chem Dogs
Captain Kalzaha/Tallarn 331st

Imperial Navy
Fleet Admiral Heronymus

Sa’cea Cadre
Por’El Doran’ro(Ambassador Calm Mind)
Shas’ui El’ro(Sgt Noble Voice)
Shas’El Li’sun’yi(Commander Wild Lotus)

Arcadian IV Forces
Governor Lord Militant Shahn
General Hunin
General Munin

Jokob’Yan Delegation
Gue’la’o Gavner’Elan/Jokob’Yan 1st Cadre
Gue’la’elro Lithus
Hektor’Kais
Rogue Trader Robert Dravarol

Inquisitorial Taskforce
Inquisitor Hiromi Heichiro/Ordo Hereticus
Cardinal Luccini Borgia
General Sire Lord Franz Von Habsburg/Ishidan 1st
Commissar General Gustavus/16th Salvar Chem Dogs
Inquisitor Lord Dieter Lupin/Ordo Xenos
Codificer Ingrim/Deathwatch

Inquisitorial Navy
Admiral Wilhelm Von Tirpitz

Legio Astartes
Brother Sgt Hydrium/Ultramarines 5th company
Deathwing Captain Andronial
Deathwing Sgt Rhemeil
Areal Sephidor/Revenants 2nd company

Alpha Legion
Sorcerer Ulzion
Operative Herov

Ork Freebootas
Kaptun Grimtoof da Deztroya
Raz gutz/da skull splittas
Nail chewa/Kult of speed
Second mate Squig Fagnhort

Justicar_Freezer
21-04-2011, 05:12
Okuto are you only focusing the book on the events of Arcadia IV or will you be including the things that transpired on Arcadia II as well?

As to the time of Ending idea not sure I have the writing chops to be part of such an expensive project. Though if you'd like pm me your ideas and I'll have a look see if I might have anything I can kick in to it.

Son of Sanguinius
21-04-2011, 06:36
My comments were a poor attempt at humor, I assure you. You need no "writing chops" to participate. Just ideas and a sense of enjoyment when you write.

Okuto
21-04-2011, 17:40
I'm not including the events of Arcadia II, that would have to be a separate project all together. Simply for the sake of keeping on topic, the novel will be from three perspectives(thats the plan), to put in a side show would be too much and do not the Arcadia II campaign justice

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
21-04-2011, 19:44
Actually I'll need you to provide me with some character profiles for your guys.

Who, all of us? And the Character List is looking great, I can't wait to see what you come up with! This must be requiring a lot of work on your part. :/

But first we need to come to a conclusion on Arcadia IV surely!? :D

Okuto
21-04-2011, 23:17
Shas'o I think I have enough data on your own faction but if you could please pm me any particular traits, description of your Shas'o you might want in. I'd love to conclude the orgianl post but argus has yet to reply.....so thus I cannot add on till then.

I'm trying for 250-300 pages. I suspect I may go more depending on how the three perspective thing works out

No-One
21-04-2011, 23:45
question, i've never read the Arcadia threads, or know about the events that took place there, does that count me out of this project or would i still have a chance to get in on this and join the fun?

Okuto
22-04-2011, 00:22
PM me with a character and I may be able to include them in the story.

No-One
22-04-2011, 01:22
I'll send you the PM as soon as I get a chance Okuto.

Okuto
22-04-2011, 17:25
First chapter of novel is up

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301935

Son of Sanguinius
23-04-2011, 05:47
Okay folks, the following link is what I hope is the beginning of the project I described. Please give it a read and PM me. Thanks and have a good one. :)

The End Times! (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302002)

Roba-Fett
02-05-2011, 22:08
Sounds like a nice idea actually. I may be interested, time permitting and subject matter inspiring enough...

Son of Sanguinius
02-05-2011, 23:24
You're more than welcome to participate with conjecture, writing, or both.

Okuto
03-05-2011, 00:31
well now that warseer's back we can start construction

Awilla the Hun
04-05-2011, 20:29
Could I join this in a few weeks' time? Is it too late for a new character to turn up? Sir Horatius Landitte and a squadron of medieval world lancers could do with some employment.

Okuto
04-05-2011, 21:21
oh that sounds interesting, pm me with the details....they could rival the horse guards of the Ishidan 1st

PM as quick as possible with character/regiment bio