PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting a tacta you tube channel...

bigbear bailey
11-04-2011, 10:49
Hey all you fellow Warseers! I've been surfing the net looking for some good tactica videos, and honestly most of the ones I have found are sub-par. Instead of shrugging my shoulders and walking away from the issue, I've decided to make a stand!

With that being said, I have a few questions in mind for you all.

1) What is the most enjoyable way for you to watch a tactica? Wither that be through watching some one talk, seeing a green felt with models on in, or a slide show in the back ground while ideas are discussed.

2) What all needs to be covered in a book to make you feel like what you just watched was rewarding? War gear, unit descriptions, or the general movements for your army.

3) How long is to long? Should the videos be broke down into small sections, or should they be 10-15 mins a clip?

Thanks again for looking guys, and I hope I can do more for the hobby, and for us all, in the near future!

Oh and feel free to comment on any other ideas that you think would be great to include for a tactica project please!

Zweischneid
11-04-2011, 10:53
1) What is the most enjoyable way for you to watch a tactica? Wither that be through watching some one talk, seeing a green felt with models on in, or a slide show in the back ground while ideas are discussed.

I believe that good models (on a nice table) are key. If it's just a guy (or girl) looking into the camera talking, a text would've been better. Same for (only) diagramms or slideshows; do a webpage.

Bunnahabhain
11-04-2011, 11:52
I believe that good models (on a nice table) are key. If it's just a guy (or girl) looking into the camera talking, a text would've been better. Same for (only) diagramms or slideshows; do a webpage.

Seconded.

Nothing wrong with a diagram going up for 5 seconds, and then showing it on the table, but unless it is mainly a good looking set up, there isn't much point in it being a video.

To be useful, it must cover what makes this tactic work. Does it need certain HQs, upgrades, what?

LonelyPath
11-04-2011, 13:36
I think the Beasts of War tacticas are a good example of how to make one in the balance of person and models (plus dice rolling), but someone that has a firmer grasp of the rules would go a long way in improving things (I'm forever seeing corrections on their interperetation of the rules).

Generally, if a tactica can be done in 3 or 4 minutes, keep it at that,. don't stretch it out or people will get bored. Likewise, if something would take 10 or 15 minutes to explain in full, don't skimp on things to cut it down in length, a full explanation in those situations will help people a lot more.

slingersam
11-04-2011, 17:00
Agreeing with the above as this allows for diversity. I like to see pictures as well as certain optimal scenarios you should try to achieve

bigbear bailey
11-04-2011, 23:23
thanks for the input guys!

I will do my first trial run tonight with a tactica video and see how it goes... I'll link it here if you all want to take a gander and tell me what I could do to make it better.

slingersam
12-04-2011, 08:39
ya 4 sure we'll look at it and see how you can improve

LonelyPath
12-04-2011, 13:45
Yep, if there's one thing about us on Warseer, we tend to be full of opinions :D

spriten
12-04-2011, 22:04
A conglomeration would be preferable. Great models on the table is enjoyable, but I also like to see the face of the person who's talking. Pictures or diagrams of the tactic involved would also help.

bigbear bailey
15-04-2011, 21:32
Very good input you all, thanks again!

I have one last question though. How do I make a slide show (mix of pictures and diagrams, that matches with my voice to throw up on youtube? Example being, I am talking about chaos marines so I want to show pics of each unit (like pics off the GW or cool mini sites) and then talk in the background of the slide show. After the unit is discussed I want to have it switch to a paint image that will show tactics and such...

I'm damn good at teaching this game, I've just never attempted any mainstream like this before ha ha.

SisterMordagg
15-04-2011, 21:34
I would suggest using Windows Movie Maker. It's a solid program for that sort of thing.

I would offer a primer, but there are much better ones available.