PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Terrain tests?

eagletsi1
11-04-2011, 13:02
Just played my 3rd 8th edition game

When you test with a character in the unit, does the unit take casualties first, then the character or do you roll a separate die for the character.

Also, do only models in the terrain have to test or do all models in the unit have to test?

thanks,

Haravikk
11-04-2011, 13:26
Each model that passes through the dangerous terrain has to test, so you should roll a separate, or differently coloured, dice for each character that does so.

eagletsi1
11-04-2011, 13:43
So if I'm going to pass through it. I could just move my hero to the side not in contact with it and avoid the roll for him, correct?

T10
11-04-2011, 14:01
You don't usually have the opportunity to re-arrange the models in the unit unless you are performing a reform maneuver (or a combat reform). Off the top of my head the only exceptions are the "Make Way" rule and what-ever happens when a character joins or leaves a unit.

Remember that you can take a Swift Reform maneuver if the unit has a musician, but since you can't do this in combination with marching, fleeing, pursuing or charging, this will rarely combine with dangerous terrain tests.

What this means is that under most circumstances where you "want" to make dangerous terrain tests you won't have the opportunity to move your character out of harm's way.

-T10

GodlessM
11-04-2011, 14:10
But can't characters move freely within their unit in the movement phase? So he could move to character to the opposite corner of the unit and then move through the terrain.

eagletsi1
11-04-2011, 15:07
But can't characters move freely within their unit in the movement phase? So he could move to character to the opposite corner of the unit and then move through the terrain.

That is what I'm asking. You hit the nail right on the head!

So If I have a unit of 7 Knights and 3 are are going to enter the terrain. I can just move my character to a position where he doesn't, correct?

T10
11-04-2011, 15:23
Well, I'm not going to kick up a fuss about whether or not you can reposition a character during the unit's movement. But the fact of the matter is that the rules that deal with characters in units (the Combined Units rules) don't include rules that allow you to do this. It's not as if they forgot to deal with the issue of the character's in position in the unit, but the only rule that deals with changing the character's position is the "Make Way!" rule.

Other than this you're left with the reform rule.

-T10