PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "new army" thread

Methios
11-04-2011, 17:53
Well i gues most of you see this threads pop up everyother day.
I know no1 can tell me what to play.
But i find it verry intresting to see how enthousiastic everone els is about their prefferd army!

Now currently i have a Skaven and a LM army.
With a Woodelf battalion box laying around.

That being said i am looking into a new army.
I love the skaven, but i find the Lizards pretty staightforward bordering dull.
So i think i will throw them in a corner pretty soon.
The armies i am intrested in:

- Vampire Counts
- WoC
- Beastmen
- Wood Elf
- Dwarf

Pro's en Con's.
VC:
+ I like the killy characters! And the raising of troops. Grave Gaurd ftw. the vargulf is cool.
- Painting a ton of skellies. i dont realy like the look of the ghoul/skelly/zombi bit.

Woc:
+ killy chars, pretty models. Marks. Chosen are neat.
- Most played army? no archers. Cav is generaly crap in 8e.

Beastmen:
+ FLuff, minnos, Gors. Doombull!
- Monsters not moddeld, Straight forward!

Woodelf:
+ Treeman, pretty models. Fluff.
- Options? I cant seem to paint a gladeguard i am happy with. outdated army book.

Dwarf:
+ Fluff!, tough dudes, rangers, anvil, fluff
- Straight forward, warmachine heavy

I would love to hear what your thoughts are abou the armies!

cheers

Meth

Jack of Blades
11-04-2011, 17:56
Out of those, well... I'm most interested in VC and WoC, but they are both quite dull and boring right now - enough for me not to invest in either of them. So I say go with WE. Nothing stops you from using well-converted VC/WoC models in WE either if you like them but you'll need creativity that's for sure. It's a good deal though, and will grant you an army which is actually rewarding to play beyond caster lord, bsb, 2 ghoul hordes, gg star and prefered rare choices. WoC is pretty much the same except that their marks don't match their fluff and aren't well made from a pure gameplay perspective either, they also .. yeah. Dull and boring.

Methios
11-04-2011, 20:46
Thanks,
I gues woodelfs need alot of tree's and eagles to work.
Making their lists pretty one sided?

Is the dwarf gyrocopter errated yet?

Are cygors usefull as a stonethrower?

I would love to read more feedback

mrtn
11-04-2011, 21:01
I'd go for the army you like the models most. Especially the core, you won't get it painted if you don't like them. Thus I'd advice against the vampire counts, since you don't seem to like their core models.

As to the Beastmen they're great if you like the infantry. They're not great if you only want them for the big monsters since these are over costed (and half of them are missing models, though that looks like it could possibly change this summer).

Methios
12-04-2011, 07:46
I like the Minnies.
The worry i have with beastmen is that they pretty staight foward with tactics.
And that painting them will be brown....brown.....and some more brown.

mrtn
12-04-2011, 09:59
I don't think they're that straight forward. A lot of generals go for magic heavy with buffs and debuffs. Also, they have a surprising amount of sleeves up their... fur.

As to painting them brown you only have yourself to blame for choosing a boring paint scheme. :p I've seen beastmen of all the colours of the rainbow; yellow, white, blue, green, red, black, brown, beige, grey, orange, purple, pink...
My own army is mostly yellow, dark brown and red.

tr1pod
12-04-2011, 10:53
Have you not considered Dark Elves? They are good fun to play, especially watching your opponents face in the magic phase when you roll 10 dice.

Methios
12-04-2011, 11:04
I have considerd Dark Elves, but i dont realy find them appealing. (Dunno why)

Beastmen and WoC are sorta Tie atm. followed closly by VC :)

Ofcourse you can paint with any collor you want. but all ungors,gors and minataurs largely consist out of fur and skin. making the color scheme 2 or 3 collors.

Haravikk
12-04-2011, 11:46
Woc:
+ killy chars, pretty models. Marks. Chosen are neat.
- Most played army? no archers. Cav is generaly crap in 8e.
Not Chaos Knights, Marauder horsemen maybe but Chaos Knights are still extremely good, might lose them more easily if you throw them into a silly charge, but they're still worth every single point.

Woodelf:
+ Treeman, pretty models. Fluff.
- Options? I cant seem to paint a gladeguard i am happy with. outdated army book.
Shouldn't be outdated anymore by the end of this year with a bit of luck. Glade Guard are still very nice models, not sure what trouble you're having painting them?

Dwarf:
+ Fluff!, tough dudes, rangers, anvil, fluff
- Straight forward, warmachine heavy
There's more variety in the Dwarf army than some people realise, it just doesn't really come from the unit choices as much as it should. But you have a load of runes to take advantage of which can have very important effects on your tactics. You also don't have to go war machine heavy; an all combat army can still do well, particularly in 8th, you just need to tool up a character or two for monster hunting if you're not going to be taking a cannon.

Steam_Giant
12-04-2011, 11:49
Ofcourse you can paint with any collor you want. but all ungors,gors and minataurs largely consist out of fur and skin. making the color scheme 2 or 3 collors.

How many colours/ shades are you hoping for on core models ?! :)

SteelTitan
12-04-2011, 12:20
Id go with VC based on what you said yourself. You like Grave Guard...well, you need those you it's a good start. Also, painting skellies if you want to field them can go super fast (buy bleached bone spray from armypainter and wash with devlan mud and you're basically done).

Max_Killfactor
12-04-2011, 12:26
I'd go with WoC. They are very different from Skaven and they have that Khorne Lord on juggy model...

I think painting a smaller, elite army would be a nice break from Skaven.

LordoftheBrassThrone
21-05-2011, 11:37
Just take WoC. With lots of WoC. Amazing hero models, and an entire army of chaos armour clad monsters is a nightmare to fight.

RanaldLoec
21-05-2011, 14:21
I love my warriors of chaos as my core choice is better than most armys special and rare.

It's very fun for conversions as well I've built 2 warshrines, and 2 dragon ogre shaggoths and 6 chaos ogres.

The army is very different to my other two armys Empire and Woodelves. Very single minded in there play style eg "I'm going to stick my sword in your guts".

Woodelves used to play a movement denial hit and run game. 8th ed killed that style off leaving us only a few options in game.

Beautiful models though and still fun to play just harder to win with.