PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblin army?

Necros
11-04-2011, 19:52
Always wanted to do an army focused on just night goblins... but would an army like that even "work"?

I would only be using night goblin characters to lead it, units of night goblins (a couple big blocks (30-40?) with spears and smaller ones of 20 bows maybe with fanatics for all, and squig hoppers & herds. I know that's pretty limiting especially with all the other great units in the book.

Would I be better off making it just a "goblins" army, but using night goblin models? I wouldn't mind some spider riders and of course the new ginormous one.. icky spiders live in caves, right?

Just looking for some ideas/thoughts.. would it be worth doing, or would a gobin-only or night-goblin-only army be really tough to play?

Malorian
11-04-2011, 20:18
Leadership will be your biggest issue, and so the banner of discipline to raise your general's LD will be a must.

Squig herd hordes can pump out the hurt as can hordes of 100 night goblins with spears.

It can work but as I said leadership will be your main weakness.

BigbyWolf
11-04-2011, 20:25
Hordes made 'em a bit better, as did the ability to take multiple big bosses. I'd say if your going to have big units, take (at least) 50 models per unit. Night Goblins tend to be preferable mainly due to netters. To make it a bit more competitive you could use a mix of goblins- that would give you access to war machines, fast cav and the occasional Araknarok Spider. Don't forget that trolls are also perfectly acceptable!

Leadership will be your biggest issue, and so the banner of discipline to raise your general's LD will be a must.

Also, if you're going entirely NG, and you/ your group have no issues with special characters, then there's always Skarsnik (and he leaves enough points over for a Great Shaman).

xxRavenxx
11-04-2011, 20:27
My personal feeling, is that pure night goblins is to janky. You lose out on a point of LD, warmachines, spiders, etc. and you end up with four units only:

Night goblins
Herds
Hoppers.
Mangler squig.

I personally think that "goblins" with a night goblin theme is much more fun and workable.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9082/spiderm.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/spiderm.jpg/)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3449/squiglobba.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/squiglobba.jpg/)

Those are two simple conversions I did to fit some common goblin items into my night goblins. I think they worked out ok.

Necros
11-04-2011, 20:30
Yeah the leadership is my biggest concern so I'll definitely use the banner

I dunno if I can do hordes of 100, not rich enough :) I was planning to start with a smaller point level maybe aiming at a 1000-1500 pt list first for small fun games. I was thinking of something like 2 hordes of 40 w/ spears, 1 unit of 20 w/ bows, 2 units of squig hoppers a shaman and 2 bosses (1 in each horde)

Are nets worth taking? they seemed kinda expensive points wise. I was also thinking of at least 1 fanatic in each unit.

Korraz
11-04-2011, 20:32
The problem is, you lack punch. Hoppaz and Squigs are nice and fine, but they don't pack any real punch.
I played them with converted warmachines (Skarsnik sure as hell didn't conquer Eight Peaks with slingshots and friendship) and Stone Trolls (trolls living in caves are probably one of the oldest images in fantasy.)

Nets are one of the few things that make NGs even worth it.

Necros
11-04-2011, 20:35
hehe, love the squiglobba, consider your idea stolen!

I could definitely add in some spider things too. Just trying to think about the overall cost + how much I can fit in a small points level.. if I buy 2-3000 pts worth of stuff, I'll paint 2 units, lose interest and shelf the rest. So I wanna try and add to the army 1 or 2 boxes at a time so I don't get burnt out.

Urgat
11-04-2011, 20:40
They are manageable. I've played mostly battles under 2000pts during 7th ed (I play goblins, all kinds, and won't skip on units considered subpar like common gobs on foot), so I had no warboss, so I was stuck to the Ld you'll get with a night goblin warboss (my general was a goblin bigboss), and I did fine, I only really struggled against VC (very difficult, but the few wins were rewarding, to say the least). Also BSB were much less of an help, and psychology much less forgiving; add to that steadfast and Ld isn't so big of a problem.
The rest is up to you, proxying common and forest gob units and the likes. See if you find it satisfying to play a night goblin army that is not really one.

Necros
11-04-2011, 20:43
And yeah I'll probably do a giant at one point. Had an idea to convert one to look like he's got a night goblin hood and robe, but with patched together fabric the way his paints are now. Not sure my greenstuffing is up to par for that though..

I could add stone trolls, they might work.. but I don't like the current big nose & floppy ear trolls.. hoping they'll redo them in plastic like they did with the swampy trolls and make em look mean.. or I guess I could use LOTR trolls too...

Myrmidon616
11-04-2011, 20:44
There was a Goblin and Night Goblin army in WD ages ago which was quite cool, full of conversions (especially the wolf riders). If you want to branch out from a pure NG army, you can always include other stuff as allies. Skarsnik used orcs after all.

Malorian
11-04-2011, 20:46
Are nets worth taking? they seemed kinda expensive points wise. I was also thinking of at least 1 fanatic in each unit.

Nets are amazing, and only get better the bigger the unit.

Fanatics on the other hand are more crazy than tactically useful a lot of the time.

Urgat
11-04-2011, 20:57
I could add stone trolls, they might work.. but I don't like the current big nose & floppy ear trolls..

Heresy! They're the best minis ever released by GW :p
I wrote down my "tactical" thoughts on fanatics somewhere in my plog, but I can't be harsed to look it up. To be quite honest, I had them almost completly phased out in 7th ed, and took the "none at all step" during my last battle, and my army didn't get any worse for it. Fanatics have gradually gotten worse, they've lost their purpose. And the units have got so large that even the fun factor has gone away, the damage they do (when they do any) is, most of the time, anecdotical. But if I were playing NIGHT gobs only, I'd go the other way and would give three to each unit, because that's what one should do when they play night gobs :p
Nets are a must buy, but if you're like me, you'll systematically entangle yourself instead of the enemy half the time. Nets do not care for mathematical odds.

xxRavenxx
11-04-2011, 21:27

Nets are 100% worth taking. And they are what will therefore what will shape your army.

It is 150 points for 25 goblins. It is 225 for 50. (50% more for twice the models).

The extra models will make the unit harder to break, and more able to fight incombat (the standard is 29 attacks when taking the charge on horde spearmen).

I've tried using 25s, and it just doesn't work for basic night goblins anymore.

Necros
12-04-2011, 15:08
Talked with my friend who's selling his orcs, gonna be getting something like 130 night goblins, 3 shamans and 1 boss, 9 metal fanatics and 5 metal netters for like $130.. also seeing if he still has his spider riders and rock lobbas available

I figured maybe I could go with a cave spidery theme so I also have an excuse to get the new big spider too. I think I'd probably do that with the gobbos on the back instead of a shaman mount though. Kinda makes me worry though that it'll be just like a carnosaur or stegadon, where every enemy cannon blows it to bits before it can ever do anything...

popisdead
13-04-2011, 23:51
Do you mean, can you build a NG army that isn't OP? Not if you take warmachines, the odd Troll (is there any other kind?), and such.

Common goblins still don't do anything but die, and if you just don't take any Orc units, that still gives you a LOT of threatening units.

Think, at 34 PPM for a Goblin Hero with a GW,... now many can you buy after you get a BSB and a few support casters?

Jind_Singh
14-04-2011, 00:12
However if you have no issues using Skarsnik you'll get the LD too - so it's worth looking at.

I'd say for 'pure' NG armies I'd aim for 2000pts, but a mixed Goblin army works REALLY well as you can take:

Light Cav
Normal Gobbos
Spider awesomeness
warmachines
Chariots

And it's a very decent army - but don't be discouraged to do a pure list either - those will still be fun, you still got Trolls/gaints etc, to make the list decent

Necros
14-04-2011, 04:15
Based on all the models I'm gonna be acquiring from a friend and a few trades, I figured a mixed goblin army would be best, and I'll just model the normal goblins units as night goblins. I was messing with Army Builder and put together a 2k list that was something like...

1 warboss with some goodies
3 level 2 shamans
1 bsb with banner of dicipline

2 units of 39 night goblins with spears (warboss in 1, bsb in other), each with 2 fanatics and nets
1 unit of 20 night goblins with bows and nets and 1 fanatic
1 unit of 10 spider riders w/ full command
2 units of 5 spider riders w/ just bows
2 spear chuckas
2 rock lobbas
1 arachranoc spider w/ flinger

Is it sacrilege to have a night goblin army with no squigs? :)

Forsak3n
14-04-2011, 05:23
i've used a pure night gobbo list quite effectively for awhile now.

take one large unit of NG's with HW&S for a bunker for your general, BSB, and Lvl 4.
then 2 other large units of NG's with spears(for the 30 attacks each), you can add NG BB's and Lvl 2 shamans to those unit for extra hittyness(and augment potential).

use squig herds and river trolls as hammer units and mangler squigs to wreck the enemy battle line.

and dont forget to fully load each NG unit with fanatics.

Schmapdi
14-04-2011, 05:29
My personal feeling, is that pure night goblins is to janky. You lose out on a point of LD, warmachines, spiders, etc. and you end up with four units only:

Night goblins
Herds
Hoppers.
Mangler squig.

I personally think that "goblins" with a night goblin theme is much more fun and workable.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9082/spiderm.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/spiderm.jpg/)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3449/squiglobba.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/squiglobba.jpg/)

Those are two simple conversions I did to fit some common goblin items into my night goblins. I think they worked out ok.

Very nice Raven - I've considered doing the same for my NG force (I already have some converted spider riders) but I feel like if I do it will make them "spider" themed. I was kinda shooting for a squig heavy army, if anyone would make some plastic squigs already!

Do you have a painting log or anything? I'd like to peruse your army for more conversion ideas.

xxRavenxx
14-04-2011, 22:18
Very nice Raven - I've considered doing the same for my NG force (I already have some converted spider riders) but I feel like if I do it will make them "spider" themed. I was kinda shooting for a squig heavy army, if anyone would make some plastic squigs already!

Do you have a painting log or anything? I'd like to peruse your army for more conversion ideas.

I have been assured that my painting website will be working by the end of the month :P I'll be sure to pimp it to everyone I can find when its done.

My night goblins don't really have anything else converted. Simply model replacement on the spider, and the squigs + crew on the lobba.

Necros
14-04-2011, 22:23
well I'm definitely gonna steal that idea :) I was also thinking of a SquigChucka conversion instead of spears.. and using the doom diver as a base for it, like they're pulling the squig back in a big slingshot :)

Also thought about trying to do fanatics swinging squigs instead of big metal balls, but the squigs might be too heavy for the model to stand up right.