PDA

View Full Version : Armies by popularity

horror
11-04-2011, 20:24
Can anyone give me an idea of which are the most popular armies in their area? Maybe a top five or something. I'm trying to get an idea of how popular Skaven have become since IOB but I'm also interested in the popularity of other armies.

Malorian
11-04-2011, 20:45
In Edmonton Alberta it would be something like this:

1. Orcs and goblins
2. Warriors of chaos
3. Ogre kingdoms
4. Deamons of chaos
5. Skaven

However apart from greenskins who are obviously at the top the rest are pretty close to each other, and naturally changes from tournament to tournament.

calnen
11-04-2011, 21:31
I tend to see more of the evil armies.
Top 5 / Popular are:
Orcs
Chaos Warriors
Vampires
Dark Elves
High Elves

GenerationTerrorist
11-04-2011, 21:38
In my gaming group of around 20 members, many of whom own multiple armies, the top 5 armies (and number of people who use them) are:

- Skaven (6)
- Daemons (5)
- High Elves (5)
- Lizardmen (3)
- Vampire Counts (3)

Nobody in the group runs Ogres or Empire, which suprises me quite a bit.

WizzyWarlock
11-04-2011, 21:48
There are 8 of us in the group I game with and we have Wood Elves, High Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Empire, Dark Elves, Skaven, Skaven & Skaven. Although the last Skaven player has dropped out to be replaced by Dwarves.

horror
11-04-2011, 21:54
Thanks for the replies guys.

Whoops. Just realised I posted this in Tactics. Had no idea. Stupid me.

Eladimir
11-04-2011, 21:56
At our last tournament it was shockly spread out.
Every single army book was played except for Beastmen, Ogres, Tomb Kings (which will change soon I bet)

At our gaming club theres two skavens three lizzies but the rest no duplicates

disabledmuffin
11-04-2011, 23:31
Against what I have played, the most is actually Ogres followed by O&G. Then its pretty much all the other stuff that people have posted.

reddevil18
12-04-2011, 01:36
In my group of 8 people with people owning multipules its
O&G (4)
Skaven (3)
High elves (2)
WoC (1)
WE (1)
Empire (1)
Lizards (1)
DE (1)

WoodElfGeneral
12-04-2011, 03:11
High elves
Warriors of chaos
daemons
skaven-VC's-ogres all tie
empire

Walls
12-04-2011, 03:17
In Lethbridge, Alberta everyone seems to have dwarves, chaos warriors or orcs & gobbos in some fashion

Chris_
12-04-2011, 04:56
In no special order:
Warriors of Chaos
Orcs and Goblins
Skaven
Bretonnia
Vampire Counts

Vaktathi
12-04-2011, 05:25
My old store used to have just about everything until mid 7th, then it dropped to 1 VC player and 1 Daemons player for about a year being the only weekly players, others only would play Fantasy once every couple months. I don't know what the situation is there now however.

At my current store, there were literally no fantasy players until after 8E came out, and now we have Skaven, Beastmen, Lizardmen, High Elves, Dwarfs and Warriors of Chaos.

Donkeycow
12-04-2011, 05:30
I'd say Skaven, High Elves, and Lizardmen are the most popular in my area. Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Dark Elves, and Vampire Counts are behind that group. If you want a unique army go Bretonnia. I feel i must be the only Bretonnian player who frequents GW in all of Toronto.

Eatery
12-04-2011, 16:44
for my gw store i would say skaven by at least double everything else.
1.skaven
2.vampires
3.dwarfs
4.high elves
5.lizardmen/tomb kings/orcs

but im guessing i will see some more tomb king armies coming out soon.

russellmoo
12-04-2011, 23:06
I believe here we have the following-

3 of each WoC, Lizardmen, Demons, Bretonnia, Skaven,
2 High elves,
1 of each Beastmen, Empire, Dwarfs, Orcs, VC, DE, TK, and OK

WarmbloodedLizard
12-04-2011, 23:14
I think the distribution for us is something like.

1. O&G (probably about half the players have an O&G army)
2. HE, Empire, Dwarfs (4 each)
3. Lizardmen, Skaven (3 each)
4. Rest (1 or 2)

EndlessBug
13-04-2011, 22:24
For us:
Empire - 2
High Elves - 2
Ogres - 3
Dwarfs - 1
Dark Elves - 3
WoC - 4
Daemons - 2
Skaven - 2
Lizards - 3
O&G - 3
Chaos Dwarfs - 1
Wood Elves - 1
Tomb Kings - 2

tezdal
15-05-2011, 05:57
My group is 100% Bretonnian, but considering my group as of now, only consists of me not sure if its an actual portrayal of WHFB popularity

Aluinn
15-05-2011, 06:20
We have one each of:

-Empire
-Vampire Counts
-Lizardmen
-Skaven
-Bretonnians
-High Elves
-Warriors of Chaos
-Daemons of Chaos
-Dark Elves

So no Dwarves, Ogres, Wood Elves, Tomb Kings (I'm expecting this to change soon, but I'm not sure), or Beastmen. It seems odd, but I believe it is actually entirely coincidental that the last four of those are often considered the least powerful armies in 8th. We all seemed to choose our armies more or less based on style, appearance, and background, and most did so before 8th Ed, some going back to 6th or earlier. The only one I really suspect of being a powergamer at heart is the Daemons guy :). Even then, there's a good chance he chose them because they were "wicked", "metal", or something of that nature.

ftayl5
15-05-2011, 06:39
Brisbane, Queensland (Australia)
1. SKAVEN SKAVEN SKAVEN about a third of the frequents at my LGS play Skaven.
The rest are fairly even with Wood Elves being least popular.

H33D
15-05-2011, 17:00
Here its:

1- High Elves (3) 3 people play them as their main army, one guy just started collecting
2- Vampires (3) 2 people play them as their main army
3- Daemons (3) 2 people play them as their main army, one guy hardly plays though
4- Dwarves (2) 2 people play them as their main army (including myself)
5- Skaven (2) 2 people play them as their main army, one guy hardly plays though
6- Orcs & Goblins (3) 1 person plays them as their main army
7- Lizardmen (2) 1 person plays them as their main army
8+ All of the rest of the armies are only owned/played by 1 person around here.

Seabo
17-05-2011, 13:19
@Malorian
You listed for Edmonton? Bad Mal lol :p.
Fort McMurray, Alberta now has a gaming store and players are popping out of the woodwork :D
Unfortunately most of them are newish so points are kicking around 2k atm.
There are (that I have seen or played) the following armies. / means same player with multiple armies.
Dark Elves/Warriors of Chaos
Orcs/Lizards/Dwarves/Brets
Orgres/Beastmen (Me. I like underdogs :D)
Wood elves/Daemons
Orcs/Dwarfs
Skaven
2 Ogres
Apparently 2 more in the process of collecting High Elves.
3 Ogre players? Totally wierd eh?

Gaius Marius
17-05-2011, 18:45
In Halifax NS (Canada), we have a pretty diverse group. the only army that isn't played at all is Chaos Dwarves, and we have a couple of people who are trying to figure something out... That said, currently Skaven are very popular. Vampire counts and Dark elves were very popular in 7th, but Skaven are the new flavour. Reading some of your posts I'll stop complaining about the size of our gamer community here... I guess we do very well for a small city after all.

Scythe
18-05-2011, 07:15
In no particular order: Warriors of Chaos, Daemons of Chaos, High Elves, Dark Elves and Skaven.

I've rarely seen Ogre and Tomb King armies around here (though TKs might change with the new book).