PDA

View Full Version : Screaming Bell: does it work?

Dante blackfur
11-04-2011, 23:18
Ok, so I'm playing Skaven in ard Boyz, and every game I play My bell gets targeted by some cheesy lord charecter designed to masacure heros, As we all know Skaven arn't durable, just sneaky, So I always lose my bell and useally the grayseer pretty fast, No my wuestion is, I have to deploy the bell in a unit of rats, wether its CR, SV or something else, regardless the BRB States and I qoute,

Charecters Joining Units pg. 97.
"When Charecters join a unit, they are placed in the front rank (regarless of distance) Rank-and-file models, except for the command group that remain in the front rank, are moved to the back ranks to make room for the charecters. If there is no room in the front ranks, some charecters will have to go to the second rank."

Command groups pg. 92
Postion within the unit:
Command groups MUST be placed in the first rank of a unit and move automatically if the unit reforms

So Going off these two paragraphs, can I deploy a unit wit the bell (Or fournace for that matter) in a unit 5 wide, thus forcing the bell to be deployed in the second rank, since the command group takes 3 slots and the bell also takes 3 slots, and since the unit is only 5 models wide the bell won't fit in the front, So I can place it in the second?

Also, If I reformed to 10 wide I'm not required to move Charecters to the first rank correct? since it doesn't say that I have to, (Unlike with Command models that clearly state that they MUST be moved to the front.

I would love to get this to work sinceIt would protect my bell from all kinds of annoying shinanigins at Ard Boys, Like Assassins. Man I hate assassins. :p

If you don't think this is legel, (Please Note: I Mean legal game rules wise, I know already its Cheezy as hell but hey, where Skaven. :)) if you could please point out a page referance or Errata that says I cannot do this I would greatly like to see it before thew 16th! thanks for all the help Guys!!!! GO CHEESE!!!!! :cheese:

TMATK
11-04-2011, 23:33
The command group must be front, unless there's not enough room. The skaven army book says the Bell is placed up front.

If army book > rulebook, then I would say the bell displaces the command group.

I'm not 100% sure, just what I see from a quick glance. Maybe ask whoever is in charge of the local 'ardboyz how they would rule it?

Surgency
11-04-2011, 23:35
as for reforming the unit, page 3 of the FAQ says that when you reform, the bell immediately goes to the front rank, located as centrally as possible.

Deployment rules for the bell also state that it must be deployed at the front of its unit, as centrally as possible. The question is, does this override BRB deployment of champions and the like? I tend to say it does, as both items say they must be in the front rank, but AB trumps BRB...

Kevlar
11-04-2011, 23:38
Is there any reason you don't have 2-300 slaves parked around your bell? If you can't avoid the character turn your flank to him and let him eat clanrats for 6 turns. You can cast 360 degrees anyway...

Surgency
11-04-2011, 23:49
not everyone takes 300 slaves ;)

If you want the slaves to push the bell, well... They can't. If you want to hide your bell among blocks of slaves, thats a HUGE footprint, unwieldy to maneuver, and difficult to use on the battlefield. If you want to reform the bell in the middle of combat, the bell (according to the FAQ) HAS to be moved into the front rank, and if it is in base contact with an enemy unit, then the unit can't reform.

Dante blackfur
11-04-2011, 23:50
as for reforming the unit, page 3 of the FAQ says that when you reform, the bell immediately goes to the front rank, located as centrally as possible.

Thanks for clearing up the refroming question! :)

Is there any reason you don't have 2-300 slaves parked around your bell? If you can't avoid the character turn your flank to him and let him eat clanrats for 6 turns. You can cast 360 degrees anyway...

I can't deploy the bell in slaves, :( but I do run about 300 slaves in my army. :)

The command group must be front, unless there's not enough room. The skaven army book says the Bell is placed up front.

If army book > rulebook, then I would say the bell displaces the command group.

I'm not 100% sure, just what I see from a quick glance. Maybe ask whoever is in charge of the local 'ardboyz how they would rule it?

The reason I asked was that the AB didn't say the bell Is required to be in the front rank at all times Unlike Command models that do actually say that. Everyting I can finda says that the bell is simply a mount for the grayseer and is treated just like a regualr charedcter riding a larger footprint model. thats why I think it can be deployed in the second rank becaus the BRB states the Command can't be moved.

GodlessM
12-04-2011, 00:20
Legality aside, why would you want to take away your impact hits etc.?

Dante blackfur
12-04-2011, 00:23
Legality aside, why would you want to take away your impact hits etc.?

I would lose a few inpact hits but it would make the bell impossiable to attack. and I can already cast in a 360 degree arc and ignore the unit pushing the bell, and since I have a 4++ ward save against everything and a 2++ against magic why not? :)

Surgency
12-04-2011, 00:25
because Grey Seers fold like wet spaghetti in combat, so putting the bell in the second rank would keep the seer alive a lot longer