PDA

View Full Version : So, really wanna get into Fantasy.

jdunn
12-04-2011, 03:02
So, I've had my eye on those new TKs basically as soon as they were in the Rumor Section, and I've really been wanting to get back into the other system (especially since the release of those nasty GKs :P), but I've been having a few issues with it:

Ok, back in 7th i played a WoC army that was basically a bunch of khorne warriors with shields, but since frenzy+shields doesn't work to hot in 8th, I dropped the army. This would be my return to the hobby.

So, those new Tomb Kings look really delicious and I've got a few questions regarding them.

Firstly, to those of you that have seen the new army book already;
Is the all chariot build still going to be viable, or am I going to have to buy a Necrosphinx to stay competitive?

Would it be a very big change in direction for me to go from WoC to TK? Tactics wise?

AND my questions to the rest of you;

The magic in 8th, is it a must have now? I kinda get the vibe that it is.

Tactics seem to be either Horde rule abuse or the other rule (the one that makes you stubborn for having ranks or something?), are those the only two viable list builds and can I use them with TKs?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Malorian
12-04-2011, 03:44
First of all there is nothing really wrong wirth frenzy + shield. Sure you don't get the parry but the better save is still there.

Chariots will need skeletons to take steadfast away. No need to see the book to know that.

Magic is foolish to ignore but you can work around it IF you have dedicated assassin units to quickly eliminate enemy magic casters.

Horde tomg guard, steadfast skeletons. I'm sure horde ushabti will still work too.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
12-04-2011, 06:44
You shouldn't return to fantasy. 8th is not for the competitive player looking for the ultimate power build, but all about showing off your cool models and having fun. So save yourself the dissapointment and move on :)

Leogun_91
12-04-2011, 07:00
Ok, back in 7th i played a WoC army that was basically a bunch of khorne warriors with shields, but since frenzy+shields doesn't work to hot in 8th, I dropped the army. This would be my return to the hobby.They are still a useful unit, frenzy+shield is slightly weaker but khorne warriors are strong.

So, those new Tomb Kings look really delicious and I've got a few questions regarding them.

Firstly, to those of you that have seen the new army book already;
Is the all chariot build still going to be viable, or am I going to have to buy a Necrosphinx to stay competitive? Not a Necrosphinx but something that helps you to negate Steadfast, a big skeleton unit would be the easiest but there are other alternatives, a screaming skull or two would be useful support for that too.

Would it be a very big change in direction for me to go from WoC to TK? Tactics wise?If you played khorne I suppose you didn't use magic but TK needs a hierophant, a wizard who keeps their army together (if he dies the rest of the army starts to crumble), the tactics involved with lots of chariots are also very different from those used with blocks of infantry.

The magic in 8th, is it a must have now? I kinda get the vibe that it is.It is less of a must have now than in 7th edition as the base dispel pool will always help you (but if you play Undead of any type it is a must have due to the armies special rules).

Tactics seem to be either Horde rule abuse or the other rule (the one that makes you stubborn for having ranks or something?), are those the only two viable list builds and can I use them with TKs?You can use them with TK just fine, all kinds of other builds are available too, these tactics allow cheap infantry to have killing or staying power, if given to expensive troops you can avoid them or send cheaper things their way (or cast a doomspell that is far more worth it when targeting elites than say, skavenslaves).

xxRavenxx
12-04-2011, 08:38
You shouldn't return to fantasy. 8th is not for the competitive player looking for the ultimate power build, but all about showing off your cool models and having fun. So save yourself the dissapointment and move on :)

Unless y'know, you like having fun... then welcome back to the game! :P

Rosstifer
12-04-2011, 11:48

Not entirely sure whether this is complimenting 8th or knocking it???

Madfool2
12-04-2011, 11:55
Not entirely sure whether this is complimenting 8th or knocking it???

I'd say Complimenting it, power builds are kind of dull.

IcedCrow
12-04-2011, 12:07
Complimenting in my book ;) Power Builds get old after a while because after months and years of facing the same armies over and over again, that starts to get bad for the state of the game.

Rosstifer
12-04-2011, 12:28
Icedcrow, gosh, talking about power builds when you've won 19,409 games. You must be a horrid powergamer. ;).

IcedCrow
12-04-2011, 12:32
No no. I'm a tactical genius. ;)

T10
12-04-2011, 12:50
Regarding chariots: I'm looking into my crystal ball, and I divine that a unit that only does significant damage on a charge and that cannot flee, rally and then charge again is going to be such a hard hitting bad-ass that you must have accidentally swapped your brain for a packed of gravel when you got dressed that morning if you your play an army that's not based on these guys killing everything on site and in sight in any fight!

That, or they are going to be relegated to strictly mop-up duty.

-T10