PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Bullfrogs (Malorian vs Seabo)

Malorian
12-04-2011, 15:39
Battle of the Bullfrogs

With look of perfect calm, Slann mage-priest Happyhop waited for the messanger to bring the news.

In reality he already knew what the skink was going to tell him, he had sensed the incoming danger for weeks now, and so what he was being told was akin to being told the sun would rise in the morning.

With a high pitched voice the skink told Happyhop about the incoming ogre horde, their vast numbers of ogres, their powerful leaders, and all the creatures they had brought along to support them.

Happyhop blinked and the skink left his temple hall.

The Runemaw Tribe, as they were known, was a group of ogres who prided themselves in using might to better magic, and Happyhop knew the artifacts they had with them (stolen from the high elves no doubt) could actually do just that. A fire ball aimed at an ogre would suddenly turn away at the last second.

There was only one thing to do... summon the saurus. He would match might with might, and teach those ogres to respect the blessed race of the Old Ones.

So tommorrow Seabo and I are going to have a game. Not too sure if it is going to be 3K or 2500 but all we know is that it's going to be ogres vs lizardmen. (I hope it's 3000 because my 3K list is more fun :D)

Seabo has been on a hot streak as of late in his own tales (Go check them out!) and it's about time we got another game in against each other.

I'm sure he is going to do his own battle report but this thread will be for my version, and for the polls I like to run ;)

If the majority of people think I will come out on top I will give him first turn without a roll-off.

Once we have the battle I will post in this thread the written and the youtube report.

So there you have it: gnoblars vs skinks, bulls vs saurus, rhinox vs stegadon, tyrant vs slann... who do you think will win?

Edit:

Youtube report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NjYwuca3Ms

So we got battle for the pass and on it was have a wall down the middle, there was a building on his right side, anvil on my left side, and then there was a mysterious forest and sorcerer portal in both of our deployment zones.

He deployed from left to right: leadbeltchers, scraplauncher, ironguts w/ tyrant and gnoblars behind, 9 bulls w/ bsb and slaughter master, 6 bulls w/ butcher, and yhettees.

I deployed from left to right: skinks, salamander, saurus horde, steg w/ temple guard behind, spear saurus horde, 2 salamanders, and skinks w/ krox behind.

Chameleon skinks scouted behind his right side and as per the vote he got first turn.

Pre-Game Thoughts:

The mission meant my support units would find it pretty much impossible but the real thing that worried me was that although I knew the mathhammer was on my side that with all his main units together he could combo-charge, get some key spells off, and in no time eliminate a main unit.

His tyrant was also really tough and a match up between him and my oldblood probably wouldn't end well for me unless I got lucky the turn I used the potion.

Turn 1 Ogres:

Stupidity and bickering is passed and all main units march up.

In the magic phase my portal does 2 wounds to my krox (his just boosts his scraplauncher the entire game) but then does bonebreaker with IF that kills 2 spear saurus and then the miscast kills his slaughter master and does a wound to the butcher.

Shooting kills 4 or 5 more spear saurus.

Turn 1 Lizardmen:

Skinks and salamanders move up, and the left saurus move up to bait while the steg edges up to counter.

In the magic phase my portal brings the kroxigors armor down by 1, then my slann gets throne off with IF, I fail the 2+ to ignore, and then I kill 10 of my temple guard and lose the rest of my powerdice.

Shooting kills 1 leadbeltcher and they fail panic, steg kills 1 irongut, salamanders kill 1 bull from the right unit and they hold, and skinks kill 1 yhettee but they hold.

Turn 2 Ogres:

Stupidity and bickering is passed.

The ironguts and large bull unit charge my forward saurus but only the bulls make it. The right bulls charge one of the right salamanders and then the other and I flee with both and get away, and yhettees charge my right skinks. Lead belchers rally and gorger comes in behind my spears.

Magic does nothing as the butcher is out of range of the main combat.

Shoots misfires but does nothing bad.

In combat he goes with 2 hand weapons and gives me a beating but I'm steadfast, and on the right my plan to draw the yhettees into charge range of my krox fails as the last skink gets insane courage.

Turn 2 Lizardmen:

Steg hits the flank of the bulls in combat, spears charge the right bulls who flee and I redirect into the ironguts but fail the long bomb charge. The krox do make a longbomb charge into the yhettees but only 2 are in combat. Salamanders rally.

In the magic phase a salamander is hit with a fire ball, I get off flesh to stone on the saurus with IF and ignore the miscast, and I get off dwellers on the ironguts but I forgot his runemaw is there and he passes it off the gnoblars and I kill 9.

Shooting kills 1 leadbeltcher and it passes panic.

In combat the yhettees rock my krox and kill the last skink and run the krox down (ouch...), but in the main combat I crush him but he holds with insane courage... and ironguts aimed at the flank of the steg...

Turn 3 Ogres:

Stupidity and bickering is passed.

Leadbelchers charge a salamander but I flee and get away and they redirect into the skinks, ironguts hit the steg, gorger charges a salamander and fails, and yhettees charge a salamander but I flee and get away. Bulls rally.

Magic does nothing.

Shooting scatters.

In combat he kills some skinks in the howda and does a couple of wounds to my steg, but the big story is my toughness 8 saurus who take only 1 wound and pump it back. In the end I win by a lot, both units break, steg catches the ironguts/tyrant, and bulls get away but BSB and banner dies.

At this point, with all key characters dead and me in total control, Seabo calls it.

With their leaders beaten and broken the remaining ogres dragged their bloodied bodies from the field. The instinct of the saurus was to hunt them down and finish them off by Slann Happyhop held them back.

The Runemaw Tribe was defeated and they wouldn't come back. If anything they would just cause trouble for the Lizardmen's other enemies, so why stop them.

Happyhop returned to his temple, lowered himseld into a heated spawning pool, and relaxed. Life as a victorious slann was good...

Post-Game Thoughts:

His slaughtermaster killing himself and my toughness 8 was pretty much the story of the game.

Both of us were disappointed as we both had high hopes for a bloody game, but as luck would have it things actually turned out rather one-sided. I offered a rematch but at that point he didn't really feel like it (he was more interested in how his wife was doing with her dark elves against some deamons).

So there you have it. Thanks for reading and even though Seabo had some bad luck here I expect his winning streak to return :)

Lukasz_VT
12-04-2011, 16:36
I'm bellowing for Seabo, as I always support Ogre underdogs! Either way, I'm glad two great batreps are on the way :D

Seabo
12-04-2011, 17:31
Eeeeep!!
Lizards...happy happy joy lol. At least low Init won't be an issue.
I vote for Mal ;)

Tarian
12-04-2011, 18:48
Looks like Seabo might get 1st turn.

russellmoo
12-04-2011, 21:30
Sorry, Seabo- I think a lizardman army is too durable for beastmen-

My prediction is that Mal will win by a 2-300 points as he is not likely to let you kill his slann or TG bunker- however, you should be able to clean up the rest of the army- but in the end it won't be enough points-

Malorian
12-04-2011, 21:58
Sorry, Seabo- I think a lizardman army is too durable for beastmen-

Now that would be a good trick: I line up against ogres and then all of a sudden beastmen ambush out from behind me :eek:

That Seabo, always up to something sneaky :p

Tarian
12-04-2011, 22:08
If nothing else, it would be surprising.

Seabo
12-04-2011, 22:14
@Russellmoo
:wtf:
Uhm Ogres not Beastmen lol.

@Malorian
I ain't that sneaky MrMal....I wish I had my Beasties with me :cries:

Malorian
13-04-2011, 00:23
Seabo posted his 3k list:

Tyrant w/Mawseeker, Trickster's Helm, HA, Fencer's Blades, Sword Gnoblar
Slaughtermaster w/Halfling Cookbook, Wyrdstone Necklace, Crown of Command

BruiserBSB w/mawseeker, HA, Ironfist, Greatskull
Butcher w/Bloodcleaver, Dispel Scroll

12 Bulls w/Bellower, Standard, Ironfists
6 Ironguts w/FC w/Runemaw
9 Bulls w/Bellower, Standard, Ironfists
20 Gnoblars w/Groinbiter

Scraplauncher
4 Leadbelchers
4 Yhetees

Gorger

So here is mine:

Slann bsb w/ rumination, feedback scoll, banehead, banner of flame
Oldblood w/ light armor, sword of bloodshed, charm shield, potion of strength

50 spear saurus w/ banner
40 saurus w/ banner
10 skirmishing skinks
10 skirmishing skinks

20 temple guard w/ FC, potion of toughness
5 kroxigor
stegadon
6 chamo skinks

salamander
salamander
salamander

Total: 3000

Seabo
13-04-2011, 01:35
0_o
I am so fudged.....
Buahahahahahaha

russellmoo
13-04-2011, 02:42
I guess I should have read the start of the thread- rather than just assume I know what army Seabo is running-

BTW- how are those beastmen coming?

Still- I don't think ogres have a good solution for a TG bunker either-

Djekar
13-04-2011, 06:20
After seeing the lists I have to say that I think Seabo will be facing an uphill battle. Get your game faces on combatants because there will be blood spilt tomorrow!

w3rm
13-04-2011, 21:03
What lore is the slann using?

Malorian
13-04-2011, 21:04
What lore is the slann using?

I'll give you three guesses ;)

And if you don't get it I'll tell you to get a Life :p

SevenSins
13-04-2011, 21:57
something to look forward to anyhoo :)

Seabo
13-04-2011, 22:15
Life....lovely.
T7 for all the good little lizards.
FML
:p

w3rm
14-04-2011, 00:40
Toughness 8 actuallly! :D

Seabo
14-04-2011, 04:27
Well now. That battle was rather interesting....
Mals batrep probly coming soon lol.

Malorian
14-04-2011, 04:31
Written and youtube are now in the first post.

Seabo
14-04-2011, 22:00
Ha!
Oreg ain't dead. He's just nursing another really bad headache lol.

Malorian
14-04-2011, 22:15
Ha!
Oreg ain't dead. He's just nursing another really bad headache lol.

I wouldn't kill other people's main characters in my fluff :)

I have no problem putting my own through unimaginable pain (like Lahboura being burned alive) but never to someone else's pride and joy.

Still feel like an idiot for casting dwellers on the ironguts... when you had posted your list... and is the key behind the fluff of your army...

I'm just going to pretend I did that on purpose for fluff sake :p

russellmoo
15-04-2011, 02:22
Plus, for fluff reasons it usually isn't that definitive whether a model is killed, wounded or ran away- sometimes it is clear but there is also a lot of grey area-

I have some general guidelines that I use in determining the fate of any given model they are-

If a model runs off the table- he has run away or tactically retreated if you prefer-

If a model is slain in close combat- here I think it is fair to say that a model is killed, or at the very least horribly maimed and stands little chance of ever fighting again-

If a model is reduced to 0 wounds through shooting or magic- here there is a good possibility that a model is dead but they also could very easily just be terribly wounded- (few soldiers are willing to fight when they look like pin cushions) There are also a number of factors that can go into this consideration e.g. the model was poisoned, the model was burnt to death, the model was shot with a Str 3 arrow.

A model that is run down after fleeing combat- may have either been killed, injured or run off- this seems to be open to interpretation-

In short- I think Mal's fluff is believable, and the survival of Oreg is quite reasonable.

Tarian
15-04-2011, 02:41
My guys only tend to "die" when their tale ends, but very good bat rep!

Awilla the Hun
15-04-2011, 09:56
Ah... excuse me, Comrade, but Flesh to Stone is "just" +2 Toughness, isn't it? So your Saurus would probably only get T6. Still, great report.

Tarian
15-04-2011, 12:29
It's +4 with Throne of Vines on though.

Malorian
15-04-2011, 12:35
The funny thing about it is that all you really need is to be T6. T8 is kind of overkill.

Tactically the best thing about throne of vines is the 2+ to ignore miscasts. The rest is gravy :)

Methios
15-04-2011, 12:54
Go with your beastmen seabo!
Fire a purple sun in those lizzards! :)

SevenSins
15-04-2011, 22:27
a tough nut for the fat boys there, better luck next time, Seabo, and well done Mal

Sqallum
16-04-2011, 08:11
Come on you lizzies!!!!! :D Bad luck Seabo... :mad:
Sqallum