PDA

View Full Version : Rewriting Ardboyz' Scenario 3

Quinn
13-04-2011, 16:22
Is anyone else (or group) thinking about rewriting Scenario 3? Specifically the game ends roll on turn 4 (which certainly seems like a typo) and the incredibly stupid 'Lightening' rules. After playing this scenario a few times, it is definately the worst scenario I've seen written in many, many years. To lose or win a tournament because of something that is completely random and out of your control is really going to ruin the tournament for a lot of players.
I've been waiting for GW to fix it (yeah, I'm an optimist) and even contacted them about it, but it seems like it isn't going to happen. So, any ideas on how to fix it? We're willing to rewrite it at my FLGS, irregardless of it being an 'official' GW tournament.

Kalandros
13-04-2011, 16:27
Its 'ard boyz. Deal with it.
If you lose because of the scenario, thats how it is!

Iraf
13-04-2011, 16:50
It is kind of a bummer when I lose all my Skaven weapons teams on a roll of a 2, with no save of any kind.

Kalandros
13-04-2011, 17:03
The game will most likely not last more than 4 turns, so there isn't a 100% chance that you will be struck by Lightning.

scenario 1 bothers me more because the Line of sight roll isn't for a game turn but for a player turn.

Player 1 can see 6", Player 2 gets misfire - no night time
Player 1 can see 12"!, player 2 can see 30"

etc

Should be one roll per Game turn ]:

Caitsidhe
13-04-2011, 20:27
You can rewrite it for your own fun but you CANNOT use it at the actual Ardboyz event. Everyone must play it the same.

perrin23860
13-04-2011, 20:56
I have to echo the same. It would do a great disservice to anyone who came to play, having made an army specifically for the scenarios as printed, only to have a monkey wrench thrown into their game plans by changing the scenario. Many spends hours on end playtesting and tooling their armies up just right, and to do this to someone who comes from out of town or just someone simply unaware of any changes being made is inconsiderate.

Doesn't Games Workshop have specific guidelines for stores and how they should run officially sponsored events?

Caitsidhe
13-04-2011, 21:37
I've been waiting for GW to fix it (yeah, I'm an optimist) and even contacted them about it, but it seems like it isn't going to happen. So, any ideas on how to fix it? We're willing to rewrite it at my FLGS, irregardless of it being an 'official' GW tournament.

Just bear in mind that if you DO rewrite it and violate the rules as GW has laid them down, you could very well end up with every person advancing to the preliminaries disqualified and the location where the event was held being accountable. Official GW events go by the rules GW sets out, whether we like them or not.

Quinn
14-04-2011, 21:34
GW has very few 'Official' events that they run at independent stores (in the U.S.), Ardboyz is the only one that actually comes to mind. We're going to keep the incredibly lame rules the way they are and we'll wait and see what kind of mess we end up with and then deal with it.

Personally I expect a lot of complaints to come out of this tournament. I've been playing or running Ardboyz tournaments since the beginning and these prelim scenarios are the worst I've ever seen. A tournament of this type should be decided by the players, not some random events.

There are still a few things that are very unclear in the rules, concerning the Portal itself. Is it Impassable? Can you fight across it? Can a unit sit on it? None of these are clear at all and will have a huge impact on the game. So, in a sense we're going to be 'writing' rules anyway....or do we just go with the 'Official GW Rules' that don't exist?

Dragoon999
14-04-2011, 21:41
oops messed up this one

Dragoon999
14-04-2011, 21:45
There are still a few things that are very unclear in the rules, concerning the Portal itself. Is it Impassable? Can you fight across it? Can a unit sit on it? None of these are clear at all and will have a huge impact on the game. So, in a sense we're going to be 'writing' rules anyway....or do we just go with the 'Official GW Rules' that don't exist?

You cannot sit on it....it specifically says (in base contact) which means it is impassable. Now if you can see through it or not......who knows. I would guess it to be round though. I'm thinking a stargate type of situation?

Quinn
14-04-2011, 21:56
You cannot sit on it....it specifically says (in base contact) which means it is impassable.

How does touching it make it impassable? You can be in base contact with an obstacle and they are certainly not impassable. I don't see the logic here at all.

The scenario says 'Place a marker or suitable terrain piece in the center of the table to represent the chaos portal.' It also states that you must have a character in base contact with it to control it, etc., etc. It does not say whether it is impassable or not.

I think the scenario will be even worse if it is impassable. Two units staring at each other over an impassable 'marker', both with characters touching the portal...that sounds like a fun game. Then again, maybe you'll get lucky and have your General, BSB and Level 4 all blown up by Lightning in the first turn (since you'll roll a one for all of your actual units and they'll be in reserve) and it won't matter anyway.:rolleyes:

Dragoon999
14-04-2011, 22:02
My basis is on the fact that they say (in base contact) they do not say (in or at least touching the portal). If they meant you could go in it why not just say ON the portal or in the terrain. I do get your point as well....did not say I liked the idea of it being impassable.:rolleyes:

perrin23860
15-04-2011, 04:30
Well some things you obviously have to rule on. We're treating the chaos thingy as difficult terrain. Easy enough...

Odominus
15-04-2011, 13:49
Well at least everyone is having to deal with the same randomness. The only thing I find odd is the ending on a 3+ from the 3rd scenario..

Iraf
15-04-2011, 17:02
Since the dmg caused from lightning is done at the beginning of the turn, I wonder if 25% casualties would cause a panic test. I have no doubt that the full distruction of a unit will cause a test to units within 6", but is the beginning of the turn even part of the movement phase?

w3rm
16-04-2011, 02:35
I really really really hate the 3rd scenario, but I have to suck it up and play it to my full ability.

Chris_
16-04-2011, 02:48
My basis is on the fact that they say (in base contact) they do not say (in or at least touching the portal). If they meant you could go in it why not just say ON the portal or in the terrain. I do get your point as well....did not say I liked the idea of it being impassable.:rolleyes:Well if it was impassable terrain and you only controlled it by being in b2b with it you are going to have a problem... Remember that you have to stay at least 1" at all times from Impassable Terrain. Therefore I think it is safe to say that it is not Impassable. :shifty:

Surgency
17-04-2011, 06:33
Okay, so I thought game 3 was a blast, despite rolling for lightning twice, and losing my HPA over 2 rounds, both my WLC, all my weapons teams, my Doomwheel, my jezzails.....

Quinn
17-04-2011, 07:38
My opponent ended up rolling the lightning 3 times in Game three, which wiped out both my warshrines (turn 1..rolled 5 and 6) and all of his Warmachines. Otherwise, I lost troops but no units. Other than that, I had him pretty much tabled at the end of turn 5 but was unable to get back to the portal, (thanks to the 'Frenzy' roll that turn and a very smart move on his part with a sacrificial unit that pulled me off the portal..had to pursue) and we ended in a draw. Stupid game that was actually fun...and I still won the prelims so I'm happy.:skull:

Lostprophet217
19-04-2011, 13:24
Yeah, I lost all of my magic at the very beginning of the game (level 2 and level 4 wizards) That is what I get for not hiding them in units at the beginning of the game. I was still able to get a minor win against VC using my WoC so I cannot complain too badly.

Paladin21
19-04-2011, 15:05
At our prelim, all three of the tables still playing drew. I had ~1/3 of my army removed turn 1 by Gateway, but managed to challenge his lord off the portal the last turn to force the draw.