PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite plastic kit.

Deff Mekz
13-04-2011, 19:49
With GW releasing a plethora of plastic kits for us to choose from we are seeing full plastic armies becoming a reality rather than a dream. So what is your favourite Warhammer Fantasy plastic kit that GW has produced?

Me? Well I'am going to have to go retro. I love the Tomb King chariot kit, I literally cannot help myself. I love the simple design of the chariot, the easy customization with the rest of the Tomb King plastics, but most of all the amount of bits you get in this box! I mean you get 8 sprues (Well 4 full ones, since there split in half but hey.) in this box for only 18, now thats value for money. It means that I have half a regiment of chariots from one box, and 10 spare shields, alongside other bits, to make my Vampire Count skeletons more Tomb Kingy. (I'm using VC Skelies as core skellies and sticking TK shields on them if your wondering)

So whats your favourite plastic kit for Warhammer Fantasy? Discuss. :)

sasheep
13-04-2011, 21:13
Has to be the Glade Guard. I just love the leaf patterns and the heads (both with and without hoods) are awesome.

EDIT: I will add the screaming bell as my second choice :p

Johnny_H
13-04-2011, 21:33
So far, my favourite has been between the High Elf Chariot and the Cold One Knights. If any DE player takes the time to do a lengthy conversion between these two kits its a blast. It is the most fun I have had modeling GW mini's in ages.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2131/dsc00337s.jpg (http://img853.imageshack.us/i/dsc00337s.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

BeatTheBeat
13-04-2011, 21:39
It's a toss up between WE Glade Riders and Glade Guard IMO, both are some of the most beautiful, detailed and well proportioned plastic kits GW has produced, especially when you combine them for bits goodness.

Runner up is probably Stormvermin, just because they're cool!

Cheers,
BTB

Johnny_H
13-04-2011, 21:53
Glade Riders also made really fun conversions to Dark Riders. I actually prefer my converted models to the metal/plastic minis available.

Tokamak
13-04-2011, 21:57
Corpse Chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

w3rm
13-04-2011, 22:22
Corpse Cart, Doomwheel, and probably the Tomb King Skeletons(I like em, meh) as well as Dryads and Glade Gaurd.

WoodElfGeneral
13-04-2011, 22:42
all the WE elf plastics, and chaos knights are sweet, but my overall favorite is the dryad kit because you can use it for dryads or treekin conversions

Tarian
13-04-2011, 22:43
Screaming Bell. Fun to put together, and a ton of bits.

Kevlar
14-04-2011, 02:14
So hard to say, they really have upped their game. The bell/furnace is a really awesome kit, as is the doomwheel. That new sphinx thing is pretty awesome looking too. I like the araknarok, but I think it looks nicer without the village of goblins on its butt.

The Underdog
14-04-2011, 02:41
For me it's the Orc boys. AS far as I remember they're pretty much the oldest plastic kit GW made that's still in production. Just the sheer age of the kit and the fact it still stands up against the multipart kits available today gives it a venerable awesomeness that's hard to compete with.

It could even be one of the oldest minis GW still produce (though there may a be one or two older...)

Brian Nelson = Genious!

baphomael
14-04-2011, 02:53
For me it's the Orc boys. AS far as I remember they're pretty much the oldest plastic kit GW made that's still in production. Just the sheer age of the kit and the fact it still stands up against the multipart kits available today gives it a venerable awesomeness that's hard to compete with.

It could even be one of the oldest minis GW still produce (though there may a be one or two older...)

Brian Nelson = Genious!

Nah, there are older kits. The current Tomb Kings skellies are older (in a sense), I think (they're essentially the old VK skellies with added shields and command options) - the basic skellies came out with the first vampire counts army book (we're on the third VC army book now, IIRC). In fact, I think the plastic skellies before them were much nicer models than the ones which replaced them.

Plus, theres older kits in the 40k range. The standard plastic marines were the first set done for 3rd edition 40k. The Ork Boyz set was much later (and the Orc regiment set, based on the aesthetics of the 40k Ork boyz, came out later still).

So, no, they arnt the oldest plastic kit still in production, but they are a kit that has aged well (though, not as well as the Ork kit. I find the Orc kit not quite as sharp as their 40k counterparts. But only just, coming down to some of the individual components).

GodlessM
14-04-2011, 03:09
High Elf Dragon, though the Screaming Bell kit has fantastic utility; I converted a Hellcannon, a War Shrine and a War Altar as well as some terrain pieces from two Screaming Bell kits.

WoodElfGeneral
14-04-2011, 03:18
i second the dragon

streetsamurai
14-04-2011, 03:58
chaos spawn

so customisable

Gerod253
14-04-2011, 21:34
For me it is the Bretonnian Men at Arms, with the Archers as a close second. Simple to assemble, but with enough variety and bits to really make them your own. There is so much that can be done between these two kits that it blows my mind, and I've been working with them for several years now. I will be very sad when these kits are taken off of the market.

SpikeyChaosDwarf
14-04-2011, 22:01
I am a big fan of the high elf dragon as well and thank you for using the word plethora. I have been working hard to get plethora back into common use. Kind of a sad goal but I fail all my unit painting goals so I needed something new.

Jind_Singh
14-04-2011, 22:04
New Spider kit for Orcs & Goblins

Steam Tank from Empire

Stompa - 40k Orks

THREE MOST AMAZING KITS I'VE EVER PUT TOGETHER!!!

Tokamak
14-04-2011, 22:06
i second the dragon

That would be an amazing name for an indie-metal band.

The bearded one
14-04-2011, 22:11
The hell pit abomination was a dream to assemble. Mold lines are a thing of the past. I only had to use my hobby knife about 4 or 5 times durng the entire construction, and it's a lot of bitz.

Starchild
14-04-2011, 22:23
Cold One Knights: why? Because they were sculpted by Jes Goodwin. :cool:
Too, there's just something about elven knights riding dinosaurs that's hard to beat...

On the other hand, it may be the last thing he ever sculpts for Fantasy. :cries:

Lord Dan
14-04-2011, 22:28
Empire militia.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
14-04-2011, 23:09
Glade Guard and Glade Riders. Brilliantly detailed and fit the theme of the army perfectly.

Chaos and Cold One Knights are also both brilliant due to their sheer bad-ass-ness.

Weemo
14-04-2011, 23:26
spawn kit has helped me produce three heralds of nurgle on palanquins (i model them as bigger plaguebearers with nurgling minions) plus the hordes of extra bits, perfect for my bloodletter from beastmen conversions and much more besides!

the warriors of chaos kit is a close second, a relatively old kit which hasnt seemed to age a day; my only problem is that having bought about 500 of them in my time they are uninspiring, but thats just because i own so many, haha.

Tokamak
14-04-2011, 23:30
The chaos warriors aren't that old at all, they came during the storm of chaos which was a milestone in GW miniature history.

Weemo
14-04-2011, 23:35
compare that kit to all the new plastic kits with advanced technology, and considering they werent re-done for their release a couple of years back, in GW terms i think they are quite old

The Underdog
14-04-2011, 23:37
Nah, there are older kits.

Hmm, with a little research it appears you are correct sir - they are not quite the preeminent kit i thought they were. Thought a lot fo the 40k stuff was newer - they are however one of teh two oldest fantasy kits still in production, the other being the original skeleton warrior frame if it is indeed the same frame used in the TK boxes (no reason to doubt you btw - just havent seen it in a long time).

Still one of the best kits in the range purely from age in my opinon though....fantasy wise at least. I wonder how many other kits will survive the test of time as well as the Brian Nelson Orcs have....

Tokamak
14-04-2011, 23:37
compare that kit to all the new plastic kits with advanced technology, and considering they werent re-done for their release a couple of years back, in GW terms i think they are quite old

Sure but neither have any plastic kits created afterwards aged that much.

BattleofLund
15-04-2011, 01:00
"Skeleton Horde". It allowed army-building on a budget, and were pretty dam close to what I wanted it to represent, ie Ray Harryhausen's fighting skellies. Easy to assemble and convert, too!

konate
15-04-2011, 01:53
There are some really cool ones that have either come out or are coming out.

I've gotta say the Dark Eldar Raider. Love the new flying base. For fantasy, I gotta go with DE Cold Ones or the Giant. Too bad my gobbos never use it. Although it will be awesome vs. the new sphinxes.

scarletsquig
15-04-2011, 02:03
+1 to the Empire Militia kit. It's just plain brilliant.

The Perrys even sculpted fingernail and knuckle detail on this kit whereas some newer kits just have badly mushed blobs for hands.

Keith_Lupton
15-04-2011, 12:25
To admit this is to invite criticism from you guys...... I used to hate these models, loathed them, Heads are too big! Why no hand wepons in the kit?! GRRRRRRRRR!!
Then i bought a box off Ebay whilst slightly intoxicated from the ale at Sunday dinner.
The result is that now the Common Goblins are my favourite models in the range and im buildiung a Goblin army as we speak. Now back to painting some Goblin archers........

Deff Mekz
15-04-2011, 12:56
I thought the oldest plastic sprue still in production was the skeleton horses. They date back to 1993!

Scythe
15-04-2011, 14:04
Empire archers. Great kit, I really enjoyed putting those together. The militia kit is also up there.

Aside from that, for fantasy, I also love the glade guard / glade riders, and the fortified manor house scenery kit (so many usefull Empire extras!)

Jim
15-04-2011, 14:12
I agree with a lot of the suggestions put forwards here (Empire Archers & Skeleton Horde are both very good shouts), however, I have just stuck together the Skaven Abomination kit and what blew me away was how cleverly the kit has been cut up to fit together hiding the joins and mold lines - like a 3-D puzzle... It really made me appreciate how much time goes into not only scultping the models but also planning how the fit on the sprues and how you actually build them -amazing...

Jim

Tokamak
15-04-2011, 14:15
I think the arachnarok is more impressive in that regard. Especially because joints and lines are even harder to hide.

Dumnorix
15-04-2011, 14:27
No love for Flagellants? IMHO it's one of the most versatile kits out there. I've used and seen them used as is, as Skavenslaves, Spirit Host, Chaos Cultists (both WFB and 40K) and who knows what else. I built my Plague Censer Bearers out of Plague Monks and those giant flails (there's even one with a bell attached; perfect!). A single box has provided me with useful bits for years! You get bells, skulls-on-a-rope, chains, books, scrolls, maces, torches... Love 'em!

Chadjabdoul
15-04-2011, 14:35
For me it's the Orc boys. AS far as I remember they're pretty much the oldest plastic kit GW made that's still in production...
...It could even be one of the oldest minis GW still produce (though there may a be one or two older...)

The humble plastic wolf. With us since 1992 (give or take a year), and still beautiful.

Tokamak
15-04-2011, 14:42
No love for Flagellants? IMHO it's one of the most versatile kits out there.

Such a horrible lack of detail though. Everything is feathered.

sssk
15-04-2011, 14:49
Wow, reading through the posts so far I almost changed my mind a few times.

Cold one knights are high up there. Empire archers too - I planned to make a mordheim gang from them, but then realised I'll almost definitely never play mordheim again, and don't have any display space, so they would be totally useless.

My initial knee jerk reaction was "boar boys", they really have a motion about them which is difficult to find in a lot of kits (obviously cavalry doesn't spend its whole time charging, so maybe they're "unrealistic", but very dramatic).

However, after a bit of reading of this thread and contemplating things, the skaven screaming bell (not so much the plague furnace variant) wins my vote. I've been trying to find a way to fit it into my gobbo army somehow, but just can't quite make it fit (almost literally). The greyseer in the kit is one of the most dynamic models I can think of, and is the main reason that I find it astounding in other threads that people are saying "skaven need a plastic greyseer kit". The moment I find a way to fit the screaming bell into my gobbos (maybe as a "definitely not all terrain" araknarok?...) I'll be getting one. We'll see...

Tokamak
15-04-2011, 14:54
I would go for the boar boys as well, but the thing is, I don't own them and I play orcs. So I stand here in silent shame.

drear
15-04-2011, 15:45
i bought the boarboyz just for the loverly kit, in game im not so amazed by them but to build and lookat how amazing!

i saw the spider kit being built and wow! that thigns baeutiful, mold lines either inside the model or on natural edges, and its massive..alot of extra peices etc

VenomBlood
15-04-2011, 16:21
I'll name three:
1. Current clanrats - fast to file and to assemble, cheap
2. Phoenix Guard - even faster to file, a joy to assemble
3. Current Chaos Warriors - a bit bulky, but fun to paint

EmperorNorton
15-04-2011, 16:29
No love for Flagellants? IMHO it's one of the most versatile kits out there. I've used and seen them used as is, as Skavenslaves, Spirit Host, Chaos Cultists (both WFB and 40K) and who knows what else. I built my Plague Censer Bearers out of Plague Monks and those giant flails (there's even one with a bell attached; perfect!). A single box has provided me with useful bits for years! You get bells, skulls-on-a-rope, chains, books, scrolls, maces, torches... Love 'em!

I agree completely. So many things you can do with these, it's just great.

Chaos Undecided
15-04-2011, 16:43
Quite a few different kits I like, Marauder Horsemen for one they are just capture the marauders so much better than the he-man wannabe steroid abusers that are the infantry kit and lots of very useful spares.

sindrix
15-04-2011, 17:00
i really love th STank model it seemed easy to assemble and detailed on the interior for a nice battle field wreckage piece if you have the cash

Doomseer
15-04-2011, 20:03
Dark Elf Corsairs. The detail is fantastic and nimble fingers are well rewarded!:)

Cold One Knights are great along with Chaos Warriors and the Lizardmen Stegadon for my favourites.

Count_Orlock
15-04-2011, 21:07
I still really, really love the Ogre plastic kits. Not the Gnoblars though, the mould lines are a nightmare... But the Bulls/Ironguts/Leadbelchers are awesome. And so easy to convert. Ironguts are probably my fave, that giant sickle-like weapon and the helmet with a mask of chainmail covering the face is so freaking cool! :)

Mr.chair
15-04-2011, 21:37
For me it's a tough decision. I think the plastic chaos warriors are up there. They are simple and elegant, representing one of the few times when GW sculptors didn't feel the need to make every sword two times with width of any real world blade and covered in giant goody looking protrusions.

I'm also a huge fan of the Pistolier and Empire Archer kits. They are both really excellent, and as a Mordheim enthusiast, they're indispensable in my conversions.

Skyros
15-04-2011, 22:06
I thought the oldest plastic sprue still in production was the skeleton horses. They date back to 1993!

Don't the empire barded horses date back to 1991?

Nubl0
16-04-2011, 02:20
I actaully really enjpyed putting together my minotaurs... go on laugh at me.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
16-04-2011, 04:07
For 40k: Kabalite Warriors. For Fantasy: Orc Boar Boyz.

Gus8
16-04-2011, 04:38
Chaos Warriors & Marauders for me - easy to stick together and quick to paint,

BattleofLund
16-04-2011, 17:24
Wow, reading through the posts so far I almost changed my mind a few times.

(...)

My initial knee jerk reaction was "boar boys", they really have a motion about them which is difficult to find in a lot of kits (obviously cavalry doesn't spend its whole time charging, so maybe they're "unrealistic", but very dramatic).

Yes, one of the best-looking kits I agree! Funny how they obviously are the cousins of the Razorgor!

Deff Mekz
16-04-2011, 17:28
I love the Boar Boyz one of my favourite kits. If only all cavalry were in similar poses to that. :shifty:

Morhgoz
16-04-2011, 17:31
From kits I have build, beastmen gors.

From kits not maybe dat big spider!

undeadgoblin
16-04-2011, 18:13
The ogre kits are nice, especially as you can build them as most of the ogre units, which makes their battalion amazingly good value. Aside from that, the Empire Knight kit is fairly good ( barring the horses ) and comes with the bits for white wolves, which can be used to convert greatswords.

BorderKing
16-04-2011, 19:00
+1 to the Empire Militia kit. It's just plain brilliant.

All I need to say

dimetri1
16-04-2011, 19:38
Wow, it is a tough decision. hmmmm the Plague Furnace/Bell. Though I really like the Daemon Prince model. To bad it is worthless in WHFB.

Skywave
16-04-2011, 19:38

Brian Nelson = Genious!

This kit date back to 5th edition, and many, many kit from that era is still in production. While I don't remember wich army came first and all, I'm pretty sure the VC book was quite early, like the 3rd one, so that could put the TK Skeletons sprue and the Zombie ahead.

I'm pretty sure the original model got modified along the way. I have 2 kind of skeletons horses that make me believe that at some point they redid the scult. The older one have very thin bones (especially the legs), that match the plastic skeletons from that time. Then the second one got much bigger bones (again, mostly the legs), albeit they are the exact same poses and all. I would guess it date back to around the 5th edition and they probably redid it to match the models from that era (bigger bones from the new skeletons etc.).

"Skeleton Horde". It allowed army-building on a budget, and were pretty dam close to what I wanted it to represent, ie Ray Harryhausen's fighting skellies. Easy to assemble and convert, too!

Probably my choice, you can't beat simple, naked and in-scale skeletons! ;)

But there's many kit that are awesome too, both old and, very hard to choose one. From those that I've played with, the Empire have so many great kit like the old Spearmen (from 6th ed. starter set), Flagellants, Pistoliers, Greatswords and Archers. Empire is really spoiled with awesome plastic!

Chiron
16-04-2011, 20:16
Empire Militia kit.

Perfection in a box.

VenomBlood
16-04-2011, 22:49
Empire Militia kit.

Perfection in a box.

We should call a spade a spade

PS
Nevermind, I just love Mordheim too much.:)

Chiron
16-04-2011, 23:22
We should call a spade a spade

PS
Nevermind, I just love Mordheim too much.:)

Oh yeah, thats the good stuff... :D

sasheep
16-04-2011, 23:54
I had completely forgotten about the malitia box! It is one the most useful kits I have ever bought and was so easy to make some brilliant looking models.