PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do...

Inquisitor_Helmore
14-04-2011, 00:56
Good day all.
I want to start of by saying that I'm pretty new to this whole posting/forum/blog scene, so I wish to kindly ask you to cut me some slack when it comes to all the technicalities of this stuff :angel:

Down to business. I have an abundant of things that I sort of started, got sidetracked, and abandoned. I vowed to myself not to buy a single ounce of a 40K product more until I atleast finish TWO of these projects.

1. Paint my estimated 3,000pt Space Wolves 13th Company.
2. Paint my estimated 10,000pt Space Ork Death Skullz Clan.
3. Paint my 2,500pt Space Wolves Ragnar's Company.
4. Finish my small scale gaming board (Finish as in completing the scenery, NOT painting.)
5. Paint my two cadre's of Tau Firewarriors.
6. Finish assembling the beginning of my projected 2,500-3,000pt Traitors and Mutants army.

Since I truely don't have any time limit set for these, after I recieve some input, I'm looking into starting a new post covering the completion of these. If people end up liking them and wanting to see more, it'll give me a psychological time limit, forcing me into working on them to produce results for their viewing pleasure :D I included a picture of my hobby space to better understand how overwhelming it has gotten (A little blurry, sorry!). Thanks!

red_drake
14-04-2011, 00:59
And here I was feeling like I had alot to do because I have ~4 unpacked unit boxes >.>

pun3d
14-04-2011, 01:00
I vote for the huge ork army!

nightgant98c
14-04-2011, 01:18
I too feel better about my pile of unpainted models.

Aluinn
14-04-2011, 01:22
10,000 points of unpainted Orks ... that is just nightmare fuel, right there. I thought 1,000 points and 90 Boyz were bad, but that's just ... cruel.

I recommend doing the Ragnar's Company SW first, because anything else is just masochism. Once you have them as a fully painted army to play, you can do the other stuff in bite-sized chunks at a more leisurely pace.

HRM
14-04-2011, 01:31
Do the Orks; you'll never need to spend a cent again.

Inquisitor_Helmore
14-04-2011, 01:43
10,000 points of unpainted Orks ... that is just nightmare fuel, right there. I thought 1,000 points and 90 Boyz were bad, but that's just ... cruel.

I recommend doing the Ragnar's Company SW first, because anything else is just masochism. Once you have them as a fully painted army to play, you can do the other stuff in bite-sized chunks at a more leisurely pace.

Heh, I started my Ork army three years ago when I began Warhammer 40,000. Painted a few boyz here and there, kept collecting, and noticed how bad I was "stuck in." I realized that it'd take a LONG time to get anywhere close to being done with my Clan and sorta gave up on the idea of having a fully painted ork army.

I also thought that painting one of the Space Wolf armies would be a good beginning to a step toward quelling the madness of my hobby room! (BTW, they are the "old school" Space Wolves, using the generic marines with that Space Wolf bitz sprue chucked into it, not the fancy new ones.)

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I'll keep this going for a little longer for some more input, and I'll gladly take more pictures if you are curious about anything. (P.S. I'm glad I'm being such a moral booster to those who share my similar problem on an scale! :D )

LonelyPath
14-04-2011, 02:05
I also fee la little better about my unpainted armies, but I'm probably not that far behind the OP in what I need to paint!

The Orange
14-04-2011, 04:10
I'd feel better about my pile if I could remember what it consisted of. 10k of orks though, that's a whopper. I'd say take care of the SW first and break up the monotony of your other projects by doing some boys every now and them. Or break up your orks into smaller projects.

tomwilson
14-04-2011, 04:16
start on the 13th company so i can see some pictures;)

misterboff
14-04-2011, 23:54
As a Deathskull player, I vote for Deathskulls!

On a related note, check out the Tale of 40k Painters link in my sig. It'll be starting anew in August/September, so keep it in mind if you want to make a dent in your backlog. There'll be dozens of others aiming to get armies painted over the course of the year, with plenty of encouragement along the way.

mrtn
15-04-2011, 00:20
I'd advice you to hide most of your stuff, and bring it out for painting. That way you won't get intimidated by the great seas of grey plastic.
Other than that don't think or plan too much, just get stuck in painting something. If you get bored of orks, start with the wolves, when you get bored by them, start something else.

Project2501
15-04-2011, 00:33
Either of the 2 SW armies first (so you can play more).

Then the gaming board (so you want to play more and break up painting models).

IMO.

Inquisitor_Helmore
15-04-2011, 03:05
As a Deathskull player, I vote for Deathskulls!

On a related note, check out the Tale of 40k Painters link in my sig. It'll be starting anew in August/September, so keep it in mind if you want to make a dent in your backlog. There'll be dozens of others aiming to get armies painted over the course of the year, with plenty of encouragement along the way.

Hey this looks like a brilliant plan to whip me into painting my stuff! Ill definetly check into this thing.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm leaning towards painting one of the Space Wolf armies. (Which one I will paint will be decided in the time-honored fashion of rolling a dice of course! :D ) And not to offend my fellow Bosses :angel: , I'll make sure to paint zum lads along with the Wolves. Tomorrow I'll post some pics of the armies, gunna try to give you guys and example of how they look and how much time I put into them. Thank you so much again for the opinions, I greatly appreciate it!

Nezalhualixtlan
15-04-2011, 03:11
1. Paint my estimated 3,000pt Space Wolves 13th Company.
3. Paint my 2,500pt Space Wolves Ragnar's Company.

If you are picking two, these would be my choices.

orkmiester
15-04-2011, 10:22
Just pick the one you feel comfortable with, though try what others have said and alternate things...

i would be angry with myself if this sort of 'backlog' had built up on my watch- my policy is 'buy it and paint it...' its always worked for me and folks always comment that my armies are fully painted etc:cool:

though my new project for a GK army is a slow burner as i have some fantasy stuff on the go, plus the general tribulations of repairs :rolleyes:

Inquisitor_Helmore
15-04-2011, 12:13
Just pick the one you feel comfortable with, though try what others have said and alternate things...

i would be angry with myself if this sort of 'backlog' had built up on my watch- my policy is 'buy it and paint it...' its always worked for me and folks always comment that my armies are fully painted etc:cool:

though my new project for a GK army is a slow burner as i have some fantasy stuff on the go, plus the general tribulations of repairs :rolleyes:

That's a great policy indeed! I'll be sure to incorporate this into my painting doctrine from here on out.

As for the pictures of the army I promised, I will be posting pics of them around 4-5:00PM Central time. Thanks guys!

eldargal
15-04-2011, 12:35
Go with the Orks or Tau, not enough Xenos armies out there. Plenty of Space Wolf armies.

WetAndCold
15-04-2011, 12:41
Lol, I feel bogged down with a heavy weapons squad that needs painting, basing of 10 models and a couple of tanks that need weathering. lol.

I would definately finish one of the smaller armies like the 2500 space wolves and the small gaming board. Alternate between the two to break up the monotony. Then you'll have an army and a table....then do the Orks...:evilgrin:

zantis
15-04-2011, 13:07
if you get bored easily, start with one thing, then the second you get bored with it, switch to the next thing, and then the next, and so on... This way you make progress on everything without getting really bored.

magicmonkey
15-04-2011, 13:38
do tau! i think there cool ,and if i could afford tau i would have a tau army. make them ridiculous colours. and have a stealth suit that is just a base!

Inquisitor_Helmore
15-04-2011, 22:28
As promised, I bear pictures! My hands were a bit shaky on a couple of the pictures and they may have turned out a tad blurry. I don't paint in a very fancy way. I don't paint human eyes, I don't highlight, and I seldom wash the models (only for certian things like ork skin and pelts.) I just take pride in simplicity and making them look decent enough to call them painted. They are beautiful to me, and I think thats all that should matter. :D

For the first pic's, I have two Tau cadre leaders painted, rather simple if I must say. The second pic is an example of my Space Wolves Ragnar's company army. I use all of the OOP Wolf guard models as my pack leaders for I absolutely love the sculpts and it gives my army a little bit of a unique flavor to it that sets it aside from all the new Wolves. The third army is my Space Wolves 13th Company. I did an alright job on them, but they are in desperate need of touch ups. The fourth and final army is my beloved space orks. WAAAAGH! :evilgrin:

magicmonkey
16-04-2011, 16:26
congratulations onyour first of many paint sessions. my ad-vice is to do it squad by squad. that way you have a set target, you can see your complete squad and be proud of yourself, have something to use next game, and can change armies without having a half painted squad, which will look rubbish.