PDA

View Full Version : Starting Dark Elves

Aschen
14-04-2011, 02:56
Well I'm starting Dark Elves, as the title states. I have purchased two battalion boxes and want to buy my hero/lord at the same time. What hero/lord should I start with?

tmarichards
14-04-2011, 03:07
A mage to use as a level 4 is essential (Shadow or Metal), as is a Death Hag BSB with Cauldron- however, the GW model is terrible so you'd be better off making your own out of an Avatar, for example.

Aschen
14-04-2011, 03:15
Like the cauldron of blood, or something different?

Horst1234
14-04-2011, 03:16
hey,
firstly, it was the right thing to choose dark elves ;)
It depends on how though you want to play your army later but I think you can't do anything wrong when you get a hero bsb on foot. there isn't one to purchase but you can easily convert one of ur warriors/corsairs (btw the standard of the corsairs is pretty useful). you may buy a dreadlord on pegasus as well but I would use him in games with hard armylists only. Maybe you can also think about a hero on cold one because you got 10 beautiful cold one knights with ur boxes. Therefore it might make sense but it is not essential. For the beginning you should be fine with those and there is always the opportunity to buy additional ones later or built them yourself.

Horst

Edit says that i can't read and therefore I would certainly say cauldron of blood + mage on foot.

Aschen
14-04-2011, 03:19
Mmmkay. I may be an idiot...But whats a bsb?

vorthain
14-04-2011, 03:28
BSB=Battle Standard Bearer. The 8th edition bonuses make them must-haves for low Ld armies, though personally I think they are less vital in high leadership armies like the Dark Elves. That said, I think for your characters, I'd do both a sorceress, to be used as hero then lord level, and a hero on foot. Unfortunately, I think the sorceress will be an extra purchase for you beyond the battalions (unless you want a non-canon male sorcerer, but still...), but you can use either the stock sorceresses or convert from one of those great new Dark Eldar. For the hero, who would be your general, I tend to like using them on foot so their leadership bubble doesn't get too far away from the rest of the army. I would convert one, mixing bits from the corsair and knight sprues. His loadout would be a different matter depending on where you're putting him.

To start, probably a Master on foot and Sorceress will suffice. Once you hit 1500-2000, I'd promote the Sorceress to High Sorceress and then think about a Cauldron. However, Dreadlords are awesome too and I like fielding them.

popisdead
19-04-2011, 00:20
level 4 and a Cauldron BSB.

Add another lvl 2 if you want but I don't recommend that until 2k.

sulla
19-04-2011, 04:58
A mage to use as a level 4 is essential (Shadow or Metal), as is a Death Hag BSB with Cauldron- however, the GW model is terrible so you'd be better off making your own out of an Avatar, for example.Solid advice, although choice of magic is nowhere near as limited as the above two lores. Dark and death also have pretty good synergies for DE.

Don Zeko
19-04-2011, 05:24
the GW model is terrible so you'd be better off making your own out of an Avatar, for example.

Mine is made out of insulation foam, two executioners, and a bit from the Screaming bell...