PDA

View Full Version : New Tomb Guard Kit!

zippy_tang
15-04-2011, 00:22
G'day warseerians.
soooo them new tomb guard are coming and I for one already have some on pre-order however I can't help but notice something that bugs me a little.....the price!

They seem to have dropped into that elite price range along with the Greatswords and the Bestigor, however This is not the part that bugs me. The part that bugs me a little is the contents in said box compared to the blinged up Greatswords. For those who havn't seen the sprues pop over to the GW store and check the pics. With all that extra bling and bits in the Greatswords kit the price tag is almost welcome, but the same for the old Bestigore and Tomb guard it is not. Even the vampire counts grave guard have more options and tidly bits to customize and individualise your ranks for much less moolah.

I don't mean to complain or rant on the topic but i just feel something simple could have improved the kit tenfold ie.
-two head options
-all the shields seperate to arms (I think a few are attatched like the temple guard)
-two banner options

After all this I will say I absolutely love the new miniatures and how they look, and I love the fact they can wield halberds. I cannot wait to get my hands on them and add them to my many ranks of spear tips and bone.

what do you guys think about the pricing to the contents?
did games workshop set a decent benchmark with the Greatswords only to intentionally go below this benchmark and sell new units at the increased price or do you think the new kits (Bestigor, and Tomb guard etc) are perfectly in line?

cheers

Nubl0
15-04-2011, 00:42
Seems odd to me, I love my bestigors and do think they look nice. However the price tag is so wrong on them, there is no extra bits at all and eventually you will get a few clones in a large unit as the poses are not that different from one another aswell as the axes. I guess all elite infantry will be priced the same, reguardless of content. Btw I was sorley tempted to start TK after seeing those stalkers... soo damn cool.

Darkspear
15-04-2011, 02:07
1 question. Can the tombguard take bows and arrows? apparently some people in the rumor thread think so.

I want to get this clarified as I m approaching this from a modeller's perspective

GodlessM
15-04-2011, 02:11
They can't. The same guy who's been saying it all along seems to still insist on it, but they can't.

zippy_tang
15-04-2011, 02:12
1 question. Can the tombguard take bows and arrows? apparently some people in the rumor thread think so.

I want to get this clarified as I m approaching this from a modeller's perspective

It doesn't look like they will have the option within the box itself however im only going off the sprues that have been put up on games workshops website, there could be more sprues in the kit that havn't been shown but i doubt it. I guess if they even had the options for bows GW would expect us to have plenty left over from building skeleton warriors over archers.

Okuto
15-04-2011, 02:20
I've yet to even pick up greatswords.....hearing this just reinforces the thought of not getting them. I won't be adding stalkers to my army too sadly for the same reason, the pricetag is hard for me to justify.

Pray for those new players who want to pick up tomb kings, they'd be lucky to pick up a decent sized army on a budget

GodlessM
15-04-2011, 02:26
I'm wondering how nobody has realised that such kits tend to have bigger discounts on them in the indy stores. For example, Tomb Guard are at roughly 75% RRP on Wayland Games, and barely more than that on Maelstrom.

zippy_tang
15-04-2011, 02:30
I'm wondering how nobody has realised that such kits tend to have bigger discounts on them in the indy stores. For example, Tomb Guard are at roughly 75% RRP on Wayland Games, and barely more than that on Maelstrom.

;) don't worry mate I never said I pre-ordered directly from GW. yes maelstrom and others offer great discounts however its the price tag the company itself is placing on the product. I have the luxury to order things over the internet but how many 12-15 years olds (the target audience) have a credit card in their possession to do such a thing?

Chris_
15-04-2011, 03:10
I'm wondering how nobody has realised that such kits tend to have bigger discounts on them in the indy stores. For example, Tomb Guard are at roughly 75% RRP on Wayland Games, and barely more than that on Maelstrom.No, they are at 80% of RRP as everything else. 20.4 instead of 25.5...