PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian's in 8th

Sludgehammer
15-04-2011, 03:50
Do they still work at all? I love the models (well the old models) but donno if I wanna jump into an army of them (no idea when the new book is coming out)
if they suck worse then everything else
(would just paint my spider rider army)

AMWOOD co
15-04-2011, 06:10
This should be moved to Warhammer General. You have it in the Rules forum.

Dante blackfur
17-04-2011, 15:58
it should actually be in tactics.

As for the question, Brets where my first WH army, and they where fun, but they're strength was that they got to go 3 wide and attack with almost every model, and cause the enamy to not attack back. but since the new 8th ed has allowed supporting attacks as well as step-up rule you, mixed with steadfast its a LOT harder for the brets to win, since they no longer simply break the opponent on the charge (Or at least its a lot harder :() they are most likely not going to win any fights of attrition.

They're 2+ AS and 6/5++ Wardsave is really nice, but there's so much stuff taht can deal with heavy armor, (there's even a magic lore designated for it :P) you will always have issues, also since the best units are capped at 15, which also gives you a cap of about 12 attacks, only if you charge. another thing is you are going to run into issues when your opponent can field 50+, also they're core are rather expensive. also they're few good special units, (Peg knights) are capped at one unit, regardless of the new percentage slots, so they're are kinda hurt also.

for your rare you have trebuchets! (GOGO stone throwers! :)) for just under a 100 pts, I can see you fielding 2 (or 4 in a GA).

The one unit that brets can horde up is Peasant Bow men, these units can be useful, and the ability to give them flaming bows make them a very tempting idea plus you can make them skirmishers if you want, the most effective way (At least What I can see) of uisng them would be to have a decent sized horde or PBM tarpit a a unit then have your Knights of the realm smash the side. and the 2+ save on the knights should keep the flank units alive to continually giv eyou the flank bonus.

Over all IMHO, I would either wait for the new book to come out, (Prob in the fall after Ogres) or scour Ebay for models for cheep since they're are prob a bunch of people getting rid of them. but I would not buy the model new, at least not until they for sure announce the new books release. otherwise, (unless your a tactical genius you will most likely be losing a lot more battle then you win.

Anyways, that's all the advice I really have as a bret player, in 8th, but as always the purpose of the game is to have fun, and the models do look really nice, especially when all ranked up on a shelf collecting dust... :p

So, if you like them play them if you want to win a lot of games, play something else.

Jinxies
17-04-2011, 16:12
Bretonnians are excellent in 8th and as long as you bring large units of 12-15 before characters they easily break things on the charge.

The players in my group aren't exactly tournament players (well a few are regular and some never go) and so far my Brets are undefeated and I'm not really good at this game at all I don't think :)

Combo charges and treb-rocks reduce most units sufficiently for you to break their steadfast with your 3 model ranks and between ward saves and magic resistance you lose few models before you hit combat.

Peasants are excellent (perhaps barring the Yeomen) and our Heroic Killing Blow Lord slaughters all the new monsters with ease.

Bretonnia is fine,albeit a bit glitchy since it's an old book (items that don't work etc) but it's in no way underpowered! Unless perhaps if you go against ultracheese armies I haven't tried :p

Dante blackfur
17-04-2011, 16:18
Bretonnians are excellent in 8th and as long as you bring large units of 12-15 before characters they easily break things on the charge.

The players in my group aren't exactly tournament players (well a few are regular and some never go) and so far my Brets are undefeated and I'm not really good at this game at all I don't think :)

Combo charges and treb-rocks reduce most units sufficiently for you to break their steadfast with your 3 model ranks and between ward saves and magic resistance you lose few models before you hit combat.

Peasants are excellent (perhaps barring the Yeomen) and our Heroic Killing Blow Lord slaughters all the new monsters with ease.

Bretonnia is fine,albeit a bit glitchy since it's an old book (items that don't work etc) but it's in no way underpowered! Unless perhaps if you go against ultracheese armies I haven't tried :p

yeah tahts true, but where I play its an extremely competitive environment, so Ultracheese!!!!! that's why they arn't as good as they where in 7th, and even then they're weren't the best army. only mid tier.