PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Big and Beastly Beastmen

malladin.ben
15-04-2011, 12:02
Hi all,

I've just started Beastmen and have finally got enough models built to start playing a few battles. 2 wins from 2 so far...

here's the list:

Lords [497]
Beastlord (Blackened Plate, Crown of Command, AHW)
Great Bray Shaman (L4, death, Shard of the Herdstone)

Heroes [491]
Wargor BSB (Heavy armour, shield, Beast Banner)
2x Bray Shaman (L1, shadow)
2x Bray Shaman (L1, beasts)

Core [624]
39 Gor (AHW, Full command)
1 Tuskgor chariot
6 ungor raiders (halfhorn)
30 Ungor (full command)

Special [388]
24 Bestigor (full command, banner of discipline)
5 Harpies

Total: 2000

The basic strategy is as follows:
The bestigor and the gor push forward, with the GBS casting death magic as they go, boosted by wildform and opponents hexed with miasma. The basic shaman sit at the back next to the herdstone, protected by the ungor, generating extra power dice. harpies and ungor raiders sidle up the flanks performing redirecting, harrying and WM hunting duties.

I will add some battle reports on the other form as a play and link to them below.

Cheerio for now,

Ben

dragonet111
15-04-2011, 16:24
I think you spend too much points with your characters.

IMO you should sacrifice some characters to add more core units, big core units.

drear
15-04-2011, 16:30
i have to agree with dragonet111, 5 casters? take it down to a lvl 4 and a lvl 1 for shadow and beasts, as your only after the signiture spells on those lores anway.

use the spare points to boost the gor and ungor up abit

Malorian
15-04-2011, 16:31
I think you spend too much points with your characters.

IMO you should sacrifice some characters to add more core units, big core units.

I agree. You have 49% of your points in characters.

Make those bestigors a horde! :)

macdaddy_o
15-04-2011, 17:26
You say that you are using the ungors to protect your L1 shamans? because of the base size difference, only two shaman can join that unit and have to be placed on the front corners outside the unit. If you are just trying to keep them within 6" for the 4+ LoS, then that works.

you are really going all out for magic aren't you?

malladin.ben
15-04-2011, 19:46
You say that you are using the ungors to protect your L1 shamans? because of the base size difference, only two shaman can join that unit and have to be placed on the front corners outside the unit. If you are just trying to keep them within 6" for the 4+ LoS, then that works.

you are really going all out for magic aren't you?

I think there's conflicting opinions on whether you can get all 4 into a unit. The counter argument is that "no room" rule relates to physical space beside the unit. It seems to be used in tournament play.

Yes I am going all out for magic. It seems to be working so far

Maybe I'll come back after getting thrashed and decide I need 40 bestigor instead. We'll see how it goes.

Cheerio,

Ben

malladin.ben
21-04-2011, 18:41
For my latest game I made a few minor adjustments:

Firstly I scaled back to 3 BS (2 beasts 1 shadow) and the death GBS, secondly I got rid of the ungor raiders. With these points I got a Razorgor and a Chaos Spawn, however, I also fancied getting Gnarled hide for the BSB, so I needed to find another 8 points, so I got rid of two ungor.

Here's the new list:

Lords [497]
Beastlord (Blackened Plate, Crown of Command, AHW)
Great Bray Shaman (L4, death, Shard of the Herdstone)

Heroes [431]
Wargor BSB (Heavy armour, shield, Beast Banner, gnarled hide)
1x Bray Shaman (L1, shadow)
2x Bray Shaman (L1, beasts)

Core [582]
39 Gor (AHW, Full command)
1 Tuskgor chariot
28 Ungor (full command)

Special [443]
24 Bestigor (full command, banner of discipline)
5 Harpies
1 Razorgor

Rare [55]
1 Chaos Spawn
Total: 1998

popisdead
21-04-2011, 23:11
I recommend adding the Talisman of Preservation to your Beastlord. Highly valuable keystone to your Beastigors.

Add Gnarled Hide to your BSB.

You may consider a GW for your Beastlord. S7 with Hatred > S5 with Hatred.

malladin.ben
22-04-2011, 11:33
I recommend adding the Talisman of Preservation to your Beastlord. Highly valuable keystone to your Beastigors.

Add Gnarled Hide to your BSB.

You may consider a GW for your Beastlord. S7 with Hatred > S5 with Hatred.

At 497 points on lords I can't afford the talisman without dropping the GBS a level, and he's a lot more important to my strategy than the beastlord. I find between the beast banner and wyssan's wild form he's S7 a lot of the time anyway, and S9 is overkill. An extra attack is better. I did run the BSB with gnarled hide last time out.

popisdead
03-05-2011, 22:38
In my 1500 point list I put the Crown of Command on my lvl 4 and the Talisman of Preservation on him with the Jagged Dagger and just don't take a Beastlord. You may want to consider that, and dropping the Beastlord since you are so heavy on characters.

Otherwise maybe taking the Ramhorn, and trying to get lots of attacks in if you buff his normal armour save enough?

Seabo
04-05-2011, 11:46
It's way too few models/units for 2000pts.
And you're running close to 60% of your army in just heroes alone! And the way they are kitted out is hardly very survivable.
Drop a lvl1 Shaman at least lol. Probably one of the Beasts.

The Ungors are way too small and will get stomped quickly. Really the only way for them to be effective is 40+ usually 5x however many deep so they get to stick around due to Steadfast. I would say drop the Spawn and add 11 more.
The Gors/Bestigor sizes are good.
Then add a couple more Razorgors or another Chariot and a few Ungors for the price of the Shaman.

AM1640
04-05-2011, 19:46
I always get a kick out of reading what people post on these forums. Everybody has a different way of playing Warhammer. Somehow "Ben" is able to make the several casters and low amount of troops work best for him. It could be because magic is boosted up in 8th (to a ridiculous level) or his opponents are doing things that make it easier to win with the army the way he plays. Offering "advice" that he change his list to what works for other players makes little sense. Offering advice on what has worked well for another player under certain circumstances is valid and often worth far more than just advice on how to make the standard cookie cutter style army. I am sure that Ben will run across a couple of games where the magic completely fails him either due to rolling low for the winds of magic or playing against an army that completely nullifies ever spell he tries to cast or he will become tired of the list and make a new one for a different challenge in using the Beastmen.
I would agree with you that a great weapon is not a good choice for your Beastlord. For one you often have his strength boosted and two, you don't have great protection on him so going last all the time could prove disasterous.