PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts skaven pestilence list.

Tambarskjelve
16-04-2011, 10:07
I'm trying out some ideas for a tournament army, I want to make it pestilence themed, but i'm not so happy about the army right now. Here's what I have so far:

The revised list:

Heroes: 480pts

general: plague priest, flail, furnace (general)
Plague priest, flail
bsb, shield, storm banner.

Core: 500,5

39 clanrats, shield, full command. (bsb in here)
plague wind mortar
20 slaves, slings
20 slaves, slings
35 slaves
35 slaves

Special: 819

34 plague monks, banner, mus (furnace in here)
40 plague monks, plaguebanner, mus, (plague priest in here)
8 censer bearers
8 censer bearers

Rare: 200

Plagueclaw catapult
Plagueclaw catapult

Total: 1999,5pts

I'm not so happy about only having 2 lvl 1 magic casters, but my hero allowance only allows for that.

The first draft:

Heroes: 441pts

general: plague priest, flail, furnace
Plague priest, flail, lvl 2.
warlock engineer, warplock pistol, doomrocket.

Core: 500pts

40 clanrats, shield, banner, mus. warpfire thrower
20 slaves, slings
20 slaves, slings
20 slaves, slings
44 slaves (warlock engineer in here)

Special: 859pts

34 plague monks, banner, mus, storm banner. (priest with furnace in here)
34 plague monks, banner, mus, (plague priest lvl2 in here)
7 censer bearers
4 rat ogres, 2 handlers, masterbred rat ogre.

Rare: 200pts

plague claw catapult
plague claw catapult

What do you think? Does it need some tweaking, or should I just scrap it all together?

grhino
16-04-2011, 11:39
Looks quite solid - might work. Slings are not that useful though I think. Then again, they may acually take out some models that make the unit worth its while - depends of who you're fighting.

You may want to get a BSB to keep the army from fleeing, but I assume the 34 with priest are going in deep formation, right? (steadfast is also very useful when not wanting to flee) I think rat-ogres may be not that useful, although this army can use their hitting power... difficult... why not get a Grey Seer (just on foot) in there and use some plague spells with him - that's not out of character entirely. Drop the rat ogres and one plague priest to accomodate him and get some more censer bearers.

Tambarskjelve
16-04-2011, 12:14
the slings are mostly there for a psychological effect, they may not do much, but they might take out some smaller flankers, or just stressing my opponent by throwing 20 dice :P

my first draft had a bsb, but I wanted more magic. It just wasn't very pestilence themed with just one plague spell in the army.

I was planning to put the monks in 7*7 (furnace unit) and 7*5. possibly add one more and have them go 6*6 would be better?

thesheriff
16-04-2011, 21:33
Thats alot of points of psychological effect. Almsot 30 slaves worth.

I would always suggest twin tower in a pestilence army. Its your biggets asset.

Drop rogres for censers. There better in that kinda number.

thesheriff

Skaven-1989
16-04-2011, 22:42
I agree with dropping the rat ogres for more censors, have you considered Lord Skrolk as an alternative to a grey seer then? He'll also make the monks core, and if hes in a unit without a furnance it means they have 2 strong units to target instead of 1.

Id suggest a BSB with the storm banner and then use a standard bearer with the Plague banner.

On the engineer drop the pistol as its useless, if you want more magic you could give him a warp energy condensor and drop the doom rocket and make him level 1?

Your monk units look fine in terms of numbers but i would suggest taking the 35pt scroll (which name escapes) me

Tambarskjelve
16-04-2011, 23:59
It's 15 slaves worth, so it's not that much. And I don't have enough slaves to make two units big enough to make much of a difference. Maybe I can shuffle around some and get two units with slings and two units of ordinary slaves, with 40 models in each.

Maybe I could try out more censer bearers, I just really like the rat ogre models :P I feel censers are more situational...

Two towers could be fearsome to face, but I don't have the model and I'm not sure I*ll invest the money for one... Then again it would look pretty awesome... :D

Tambarskjelve
17-04-2011, 00:04
I agree with dropping the rat ogres for more censors, have you considered Lord Skrolk as an alternative to a grey seer then? He'll also make the monks core, and if hes in a unit without a furnance it means they have 2 strong units to target instead of 1.

Id suggest a BSB with the storm banner and then use a standard bearer with the Plague banner.

On the engineer drop the pistol as its useless, if you want more magic you could give him a warp energy condensor and drop the doom rocket and make him level 1?

Your monk units look fine in terms of numbers but i would suggest taking the 35pt scroll (which name escapes) me.

No named characters allowed, otherwise I might consider it and bring a lot more monks to the table. But I have bad experience with Skrolk, he falls over from a stiff breeze in close combat.

My first list had a bsb, but I thought it wouldn't be that bad, panic is not a big problem with frenzied troops, and then I would have to drop the second priest.

The engineer is basically just a delivery system for the doom rocket, but maybe I can drop him and get the bsb.

what would the purpose of the scroll be? I don't really think it looks that good on paper truth be told...

Skaven-1989
17-04-2011, 00:17
No named characters allowed, otherwise I might consider it and bring a lot more monks to the table. But I have bad experience with Skrolk, he falls over from a stiff breeze in close combat.

My first list had a bsb, but I thought it wouldn't be that bad, panic is not a big problem with frenzied troops, and then I would have to drop the second priest.

The engineer is basically just a delivery system for the doom rocket, but maybe I can drop him and get the bsb.

what would the purpose of the scroll be? I don't really think it looks that good on paper truth be told...

Thats fair enough, he does have his disadvantages and he's expensive, i'd take him purely for monks as core and to treat him as a wizard.

The BSB is worth it, even in a pesitlans themed army, because if you lose your frenzy a BSB helps keep you in the fight, and the plague banner is well worth it in a 7 wide unit of Monks IMO, if your using the engineer purely for the doom rocket i'd personally drop him for the BSB but its your call. Drop the slings if your struggling to free points

And if your magic heavy its just a nice spell to have if you happen to roll wither but its by no means a must-have

russellmoo
17-04-2011, 05:23
I would run 29 plague monks + furnace and a bsb, then run the other unit 39 + pp in a horde formation with the plague banner- on the first round of combat this unit will do an amazing amount of damage (your looking at 50 attacks re-rolling misses to hit and to wound- even against ws 5 t5 you will generate 11-12 wounds- it's a devastating 27 against T3)

Not sure about the slaves with slings but if you like them they might be fun-

rat ogres are cool- but for theme points and sheer hitting power more censor bearers might be better-

Tambarskjelve
17-04-2011, 14:37
Here is a retake on the list:

Heroes: 480pts

general: plague priest, flail, furnace (general)
Plague priest, flail
bsb, shield, storm banner.

Core: 500,5

39 clanrats, shield, full command. (bsb in here)
plague wind mortar
20 slaves, slings
20 slaves, slings
35 slaves
35 slaves

Special: 819

34 plague monks, banner, mus (furnace in here)
40 plague monks, plaguebanner, mus, (plague priest in here)
8 censer bearers
8 censer bearers

Rare: 200

Plagueclaw catapult
Plagueclaw catapult

Total: 1999,5pts

I'm not so happy about only having 2 lvl 1 magic casters, but my hero allowance only allows for that.

alternatively, I can have the same set up, but:

I drop the storm banner on the bsb and give it to the plague monks,
That gives me 30 pts I can use to give the plague priest a second level.

What do you think?

Skaven-1989
17-04-2011, 15:18
the plague banner is worth it IMO, its a lot of re-rolls if you take advantage of it. dropping the 2 PCB units down to 7 and the 40 PM unit down to 39 (Since there getting the PP in anyway) would allow you to go to level 2 and keep the banner. I like the plague banner, I also like the grey seer as an alterantive to the Furnace lol funny how no one ever even considers the vermin lord haha I can see you wanna use slings on your slaves but if i were ever to spend points on them it would be for shields because of the new hand weapon and shield rules :)

Dante blackfur
17-04-2011, 17:06
I think the Vermin lord is like a daemon Prince, looks goo on paper, and has a really cool model but usually falls apart on the table or you can get something that does the same for way cheaper (like a grayseer :p)

Tambarskjelve
18-04-2011, 19:16
the plague banner is worth it IMO, its a lot of re-rolls if you take advantage of it. dropping the 2 PCB units down to 7 and the 40 PM unit down to 39 (Since there getting the PP in anyway) would allow you to go to level 2 and keep the banner. I like the plague banner, I also like the grey seer as an alterantive to the Furnace lol funny how no one ever even considers the vermin lord haha I can see you wanna use slings on your slaves but if i were ever to spend points on them it would be for shields because of the new hand weapon and shield rules :)

Yes, but the problem is keeping the heroes within the 500pts limit, which means that I have to drop the shield and both flails to get the storm banner. plague priests with just a hand weapon isn't all that intimidating :P

I'll just drop the ekstra level, it's not that much difference.

My first list actually included a vermin lord, but it's just way too many points in a 2000pts list, but in a 3000pts list I would include him!

with slings a unit of 20 slaves might have a function, although not that much impact. But with shields it would only be worth it on 40+ model units, and then it's just not worth the point investment...

Skaven-1989
19-04-2011, 00:32
Correct me if i'm wrong but I just added up your core and its 503 points not 500, sowwy

Yeah id agree the vermin lords too much for 2000, even at 3000 i'd probably take another grey seer lol

You have 60 slaves with slings, personally i'd put them in 2 units of 30, and i'd give shields over slings at that number, but when you think about it the points going to that is another 15 slaves anyway ! lol

Tambarskjelve
19-04-2011, 21:05
The second list should be correct, I put it up in the first post so it's easier to see which one I'm currently playing around with.

I'll try it out this week to see if it has any merit to it!

Johnnyfrej
22-04-2011, 15:02
I could be wrong but isn't 500 points the cap for Special in a 2k list? (25%)

Dante blackfur
22-04-2011, 18:20
I could be wrong but isn't 500 points the cap for Special in a 2k list? (25%)

NO,
25% cap lords
25 cap Heroes
25% minimum core
50% cap Special

Johnnyfrej
22-04-2011, 18:52
NO,
25% cap lords
25 cap Heroes
25% minimum core
50% cap Special
Wait is special and rare combined? In that case his list would have more than 50% if you add his specials and rares.

Dante blackfur
22-04-2011, 19:20
Wait is special and rare combined? In that case his list would have more than 50% if you add his specials and rares.

oops sry forgot the rare. :p
special is 50% cap (limit 3 duplicates)
Rare is 25% cap limit 2 duplicates)

And if you have any more questions about it its in a nice big chart in the brb. pg. 135

Tambarskjelve
09-05-2011, 12:10
The list is legal :p

I tried it out in two battles, won against chaos and lost against empire. But the scenario was the one where you play in a pass with hills on both sides? At least I had to deploy on the short side and run up the long side of the table, so I reached him in turn 4 almost mortared and cannoned to death, and still I nearly won, so that's all good.

But I want to make a few changes.

I want some protection on the plague priests,

I was thinking ironcurse icon on the one on foot in the 40 monks unit,
That leaves me with 15 pts magic item allowance for the priest on the furnace, any ideas for what I can give him? Rival hide talisman? Or is a ward save better?

I was thinking of dropping a censer bearer and a monk to get enough points.

Or dropping two censer bearers (8 is an unwieldy unit to move around)

That leaves me 32 points, 20 goes to magic items, leaving me with a champ in the unit of 40 and an extra slave :P

Sounds like a plan?

russellmoo
09-05-2011, 14:47
IMO- Iron curse icon is a great point investment- it will earn more than its points back on a single mortar/catapult/grudge thrower hit-

Tambarskjelve
09-05-2011, 16:13
Where would it do it's best though? In the unit of 34 monks with a furnace, or in the unit of 40?