PDA

View Full Version : A Fledgling Wood Elf army

Anomaly
30-03-2006, 01:13
Well, with Khrangar's help, I've come up with a basic outline of what I want for my WEs. However, I would welcome some input, especially help with magic items. Thanks!

Spellsinger – 125
Lvl 2

Spellsinger – 125
Lvl 2

Noble – 81
Great weapon

10 Glade Guard - 156
Musician, lord’s bowman

10 Glade Guard - 144

10 Glade Guard – 144

16 Eternal Guard – 222
Full command

8 Glade Riders – 228
Full command

3 Warhawk Riders – 120

Total: 1345

Pravus
30-03-2006, 11:53
Are you aiming for a 1500 pt list? Couple of things I would mention. THe Glade riders won't get any rank bonus as they're fast cavalry so 8 I would have thought to be too large. The full command is not something I would normally use either on fast cavalry, but given that they'll be able to give a bonus for standard in a combined charge it could work for you.

In terms of magic items you've got a few options. I definitely take a dispel scroll or two for starters. The divination orb as a replacement can work well too. As for the noble you could go all out melee attack and give him alter kindred and the helm of the hunt - 5 WS7 greatweapon attacks on the charge with an 18" charge range - add in an annoyance of nettlings and you can really annoy people. For ranged combat either the bow of loren for sustained fire power or a hail of doom arrow for one shot obliteration - a hero can't afford both, again with the alter kindred.

If you want the noble to be your general he's probably better off with the bow of loren imo or make him eternal kindred and give him Netlings and a murder of spites. This will make your eternal guard core and stubborn if he resides in the unit.

Your Mum Rang
30-03-2006, 12:11
Okay. First off your noble. This is the best all round setup to use.

Noble:
Atler Kindred + Light Armour + Great Weapon + Helm of the Hunt + Hail of Doom Arrow.

- Drop the command on all Glade Guard. Consider dropping one unit for 2 untis of 8 Dryads.

- Get another Noble to go with the Eternal Guard. A Battle Standard Bearer would be best as then they will be re-rolling stubborn Break Tests

- Take 2 units of 5 Glade Riders with MUSICIAN ONLY. Use these to flee charges to set up countercharges in the flanks.

- Take either Wardancers or Treekin for your other Special slots. I'd suggest Wardancers as they are devastating on the charge.

- Great Eagles will come in well too.

- For maximised Tree-Singing goodness I suggest:

Spellsinger – 175
Lvl 2 + Deepwood Sphere + Dispel Scroll

Spellsinger – 175
Lvl 2 + Calingor's Stave + Dispel Scroll

Khrangar
30-03-2006, 12:11
@Pravus: It's just the Highborn that makes E.G. core. The E.G. Fighting style and a noble/highborn in a unit will make it stubborn though.

Alex Under
30-03-2006, 20:49
Pumping it up to 2.000 pts (you'll be playing I guess 1.000, 1.500 or 2.000 point games) I'd do the following:

Give one spellsinger a dispell scroll and the Calaingor Wand. Give the other spellsinger a dispell scroll and Deepwoods Sphere (I agree with YourMumRang ;)). I'd give your Noble the Hail of Doom arrow and dragonteeth and mount him on a Great Eagle. He will be a pesky bugger, humming close to enemy lines with an array of magical arrows that will work great against daemons, spirits, skirmishers and characters and slowing down marching enemy units.

For the units, I like the size of the GG, and althought not popular I also like to go for the same sized GR units, with full command (it simply looks great! :D).

I'm not too fond of Eternal Guard, not because they're not good, they just don't fit in my playing style. For those 222 points, you could fit in 2 units of 9 dryads. With these changes, your army's point value has gone up to 1539.

To take it up to 2.000 I'd fit in a unit of 3 Treekin, upgrade one to an ancient, add 1 more dryad to each unit and stick in a unit of 6 scouts and another one of around 7 scouts and that would give you 1.999 points sharp. Of course, I've just recalled that it's YOUR army list and I've got carried away with what I would do! :D

Hope you find some ideas useful. ;)

Anomaly
01-04-2006, 03:09
Alright folks, taking into consideration a host of your suggestions, I've created an updated list:

Highborn - 304
Rhymer's Harp, Arcane Bodkin, light armour, shield, spear, mounted on Great Eagle

Spellsinger - 175
lvl 2 - dispel scroll, Calingor's Stave

Spellsinger - 175
lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll, Divination Orb

10 Glade Guard - 144

10 Glade Guard - 144

8 Glade Riders - 228
full command

4 Warhawk Riders - 160

10 Wardancers - 194
Bladesinger

6 Wild Riders - 192
full command

Treeman - 285
____
Total: 2001 points

I think it has a lot more strength and solidity. The treeman will hopefully pack a punch, and the wardancers seem to be pretty tough too. I was going to make my highborn an eternal kindred, but I took out my eternal guard (they're for my 2,500 army...eep!), so instead I've dussied him out to be a (hopefully) strong independant unit. (Khrangar's making jokes about an elven airborn elite right now. Hmm...a unit of 12 warhawk riders?!?! genius, or insane?)

Anyways, thanks for the input, I'd appreciate some more comments/criticism about my current army. I'm sure it'll be tweaked quite a bit once I actually start playing.

Xavier
01-04-2006, 11:22
I would say your highborn is pointless, yes the harp is good but not if your only on an eagle, on a dragon it comes into its own.

Personally I'd go with the bow of loren and arcane bodkins if you really want to have that arrow. Then again there are alot of combinations you can use for your lord just depends how you play.

A suggestion would be to lose the Divination orb and take a befudlement of mischiefs, reasons being..
Your opponent has to use 4 dice to let you roll that extra dice, now not many people will cast spells on that many dice for fear of miscasts and only a level 3 or 4 mage (or high elf with channeler) can use 4 dice to cast a spell.

With the Befudlement of mischiefs you have a bound spell, so in addition to your other spells and if timed right you can almost always get it to work the first time, then its down to luck. Many a time have I made a unit stupid and have them fail their test only to stumble forward then be hit in the side/rear by the unit they were trying to escape, you can also use it on warp lightning cannons, war machine crews, not to mention other move or fire missle troops.

Units of 8 fast cavalry are very hard to move around with their free reforms and get out of units line of sights, and short of using 2 ranks, which you dont get a benefit for you will be in an 8" long line. Personally I'd go with a unit of 5, less points to lose if they get caught.

While im not trying to pick apart your army ill just suggest things that can get you some extra points while not affecting the units potential..

The wardancers personally I would use as a unit of 8, if use right you wont be taking loses and with a unit of 8 you can afford to take one casualty and still be able to get 7 models into a 5 wide 20mm unit or 6 in a flank.

The wild riders are good I use a unit of 6, but if I were you I would try and find some points to give them the warbanner. That extra point of combat res can be the difference to breaking a unit or not.

(Khrangar's making jokes about an elven airborn elite right now. Hmm...a unit of 12 warhawk riders?!?! genius, or insane?)

Completly impossible to use in my opinion, thats what a 480 point unit? Now although you can fly you will never be able to get all 12 models into a position behind the enemy if they are playing with any common sense, and in combat with most units only 4 will get to fight. Pointless and a complete waste of points. I'd just stick with units of 4 perhaps with the wind rider, that way you get 7 strength 4 attacks and can all 4 into a side or a rear (4 or 5 models wide on 20mm bases) and then hit and run.

If you want the noble to be your general he's probably better off with the bow of loren imo or make him eternal kindred and give him Netlings and a murder of spites. .

Both annoyance of nettlings and a murder of spites on a noble? You are remembering only branchwraiths and treeman ancients can take more than one spite.

I'd give your Noble the Hail of Doom arrow and dragonteeth and mount him on a Great Eagle.;)

Hail of doom and the dragontooth arrows? 2 Enchanted Items? You sure about this? Come on people if your going to be giving someone advice at least take the time to check what your saying is even possible.

and stick in a unit of 6 scouts and another one of around 7 scouts

Why waste points on large units of scouts? units of 5 are just as good, all you really need scouts for is taking an odd shot at units as they pass, march restricting and denying enemy scouts areas to scout in. One unit of 5 would be plenty and even then only if you cant afford a unit of 5 way watchers.

Oh and you might want to look at these links, while its quite basic stuff it can be good to read it.
How to fight against Wood Elves. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/versus/1/)
Asrai Tactica (http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/tactics-asraiarmies/1/)
Ambush army tactica (http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/tactics-ambushers/1/)
Forest Spirit Tactica (http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/tactics-forestarmies/1/)
Wood Elves Tactica (http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/tactica/1/)
and the warseer tactica, which actually needs updated now that I read it..
Tactica Asrai (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7849)

Anomaly
03-04-2006, 01:07
That was very in-depth. Thanks Xavier! I appreciate it. Those links were really helpful too - I read through them and learned a few things (I really am a raw rookie when it comes to warhammer).

I'm cutting the size of a lot of my units - the Glade Riders to 6, the Wardancers to 8, and the Warhawks down to 3. I'm going to redistribute the points and introduce an extra unit - of what I'm not sure yet.

As for the Highborn, I think I'm going to mostly play around with him now until I find a combination that works for my strategies. I like Hail of Doom Arrows, so I'll try experimenting fitting that in with other items.

Alex Under
03-04-2006, 07:20
Hail of doom and the dragontooth arrows? 2 Enchanted Items? You sure about this? Come on people if your going to be giving someone advice at least take the time to check what your saying is even possible.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant: Hail of Doom OR the Dragotooth arrows.

Xavier
03-04-2006, 08:21
Dryads might be an idea, since you already have a treeman.

For your hero's you could go with a noble, 2 spell singers and a branchwraith thats what I normally use and it works quite well, but then I play a very magical reliant army most of the time, though having said that most of the time I dont really need it, its just nice to have. Like I said, Noble mine has hail of doom and is on a steed. 2 Spell Singers, one with calliangors stave and a befudlement of mischiefs, other has a paegant of shrikes and starfire arrows and the branch wraith is a mage with the cluster of radiants and a murder of spites.

remember even though it is 2000 points and you can have a lord you dont have to take one. Wood Elfs can get on just fine with leadership 9 general.

Alex Under
03-04-2006, 11:00
I see that you insist with the unit of 8 GRs instead of a smaller unit of 5 for example. I always use 8 aswell, and there is a reason for this: When I've tried less, they've all been shot down dead in no time. But if I take 8, they hold more casualties and can do more mischief before they all get killed (if they get killed). Each time I take 5, the opponents seem to say: "Well, what can I shoot down, oh look, a unit of 5 GR, they'll be an easy shot" And blam, next thing they're dead or the musician stands alone playing a requiem for the rest of the unit :D

As always, have fun, take whatever you feel like fielding; sometimes having an army that's full of the same combos and the usual expected units is boring and your oponent will field an army to counter your combos. If you surprise him with something different, you'll be in an advantage from the start.

Xavier
03-04-2006, 16:26
I see that you insist with the unit of 8 GRs instead of a smaller unit of 5 for example.

I'm cutting the size of a lot of my units - the Glade Riders to 6

^ try reading what he posts.

Khrangar
03-04-2006, 16:33
^ try reading what he posts.

She actually. The list has been tweeked a bit and we'll (well Anomaly since it's her list) have updates when we type it out.

Alex Under
03-04-2006, 18:26
It seems I missed out one of her posts (as I referred to the last army list she had posted) the same way you missed out her gender :)

Krootman
03-04-2006, 18:33
Okay. First off your noble. This is the best all round setup to use.

Noble:
Atler Kindred + Light Armour + Great Weapon + Helm of the Hunt + Hail of Doom Arrow.

- Drop the command on all Glade Guard. Consider dropping one unit for 2 untis of 8 Dryads.

- Get another Noble to go with the Eternal Guard. A Battle Standard Bearer would be best as then they will be re-rolling stubborn Break Tests

- Take 2 units of 5 Glade Riders with MUSICIAN ONLY. Use these to flee charges to set up countercharges in the flanks.

- Take either Wardancers or Treekin for your other Special slots. I'd suggest Wardancers as they are devastating on the charge.

- Great Eagles will come in well too.

- For maximised Tree-Singing goodness I suggest:

Spellsinger 175
Lvl 2 + Deepwood Sphere + Dispel Scroll

Spellsinger 175
Lvl 2 + Calingor's Stave + Dispel Scroll

I agree with all of this accept you should drop the unit of guard for wardancers

Xavier
03-04-2006, 18:45
She actually. The list has been tweeked a bit and we'll (well Anomaly since it's her list) have updates when we type it out.

OMG GURL?!?//

excuse me, I am one of those who just assumes that people are male until I am told otherwise since aparently it is a male dominated hobby

It seems I missed out one of her posts (as I referred to the last army list she had posted) the same way you missed out her gender :)

Am I missing a post where she says she is female?

Krootman
03-04-2006, 20:33
im confused now

Anomaly
04-04-2006, 00:50
OMG GURL?!?//

excuse me, I am one of those who just assumes that people are male until I am told otherwise since aparently it is a male dominated hobby

Am I missing a post where she says she is female?

There is no post where I say that...there seems no logical reason for it to be relevant to the discussion. I suppose the only way to know would have been seeing the project log I keep with Khrangar, where I introduced myself as his girlfriend. Anyway, it has no bearing on anything, so I don't see why it matters *shrug*

Anyways, here is my updated list:

Highborn - 299
Bow of Loren, Glamourweave, Hail of Doom Arrow, light armour, shield, spear, mounted on Great Eagle

Spellsinger - 175
lvl 2 - dispel scroll, Calingor's Stave

Spellsinger - 175
lvl 2 - dispel scroll, Cluster of Radiants

10 Glade Guard - 120

10 Glade Guard - 120

6 Glade Riders - 153
musician

3 Warhawk Riders - 120

8 Wardancers - 165
Bladesinger, musician

8 Wardancers - 165
Bladesinger, musician

6 Wild Riders - 217
full command, war banner

Treeman - 285

____
Total: 1994 (which leaves me with an extra couple points for when I change around my Highborn's stuff)

Krootman
04-04-2006, 01:06
only thing I would do is replace one unit of 10 glade guard with a unit of glade riders because they will be able to live longer with their mobility, and be more usefull to you and you are only loseing five bow shots but look at what you get in return

Alex Under
04-04-2006, 07:53
Nice army, very mobile, miss dryads but you're taking 2 units of wardancers so that's OK. Good luck with it and have fun.

Xavier
04-04-2006, 09:39
There is no post where I say that...there seems no logical reason for it to be relevant to the discussion. I suppose the only way to know would have been seeing the project log I keep with Khrangar, where I introduced myself as his girlfriend. Anyway, it has no bearing on anything, so I don't see why it matters *shrug*

Exactly my point.

Spellsinger - 175
lvl 2 - dispel scroll, Cluster of Radiants

Only Branchwraiths and Treeman Ancients can use the Cluster of Radiants.

Other than that it looks good.

Anomaly
04-04-2006, 21:07
Whoops, I meant a Befuddlement of Mischiefs, which I believe you suggested in the first place. Thanks!

Xavier
04-04-2006, 21:48
Looking good.

SonofUltramar
04-05-2006, 23:15
Just checking but isn't the Glamourweave Kindred for Mages only? To be honest i wouldn't bother with a Kindred if you're intent on putting your Lord on an Eagle anyway as none of them really help you out? I'd suggest using the points to buy the Helm of the Hunt, lets face it you should get the charge and i wouldn't so no to +1A and +1WS, especially for a Lord level character. (Yikes that could really nip)

Besides that i like your army, should be rather nasty, but aren't all WE armies:)

Xavier
05-05-2006, 18:50
I think she meant the Glamourweave magic item. You cant actually use any kindred while mounted on an eagle and only the Wild Rider and Glamourweave ones can be used when mounted and like you said Glamourweave, the kindred is mage only.

SonofUltramar
05-05-2006, 21:41
Well i'm an idiot, forgot to check the magic items, why don't they have more names for things? After checking my army book i would agree that its probably the best choice, good luck with the army:)

popisdead
07-05-2006, 13:58
At 1500 you probably want a lvl 2 and a CC hero. Then units. More than that is excess and I only run two mages when facing VC or retarded HE players (read: I cant' wait for 7th ed magic)

I give my spellsinger calaingors stave and a dispel scroll but if you have at least 2-3 units w/ dispel dice granted from tatooes drop the scroll in favour of cluster of radients.

I recommend trying out:
Noble, alter, GW, Sheild, LA, Helm of hte hunt, hail of doom (try switching out the hail of doom arrow for murder of spites some times). it runs around 150 pts and really gives you a tactical advantage in fear of the arrow, charge and movement granted.

NEVER take a shooty champion. 10 Glade Guard w/ a musican is great! two units is bolter fire ;)

If you're commiting to Eternal Guard instead of an alter go wih a Noble, w/ the Amber Pendant and a GW. whatever else you want and can fit, I think the pendant is like 30 pts? take the warbanner in the unit as well.

Glade riders should be 5-6 w/ musican (sometimes a standard helps, I've one modelled but haven't missed leaving it at home yet.

the only time I feel a 20 pt attack is viable is the warhawk riders since they are mage hunters.