PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Dark Elf with Dragon

datalink7
17-04-2011, 20:45
Greetings,

Been playing Warhammer for about 14 years or so, but took a couple year break. Just got back into it about 9 months ago and decided it is time to dust off my Dark Elves.

I've never used a dragon in any list. Is it worth it (or at least, not terrible)? No one around my gaming area uses one either so I have no experience with one either way.

Anyway, the list:

2500 Pts - Dark Elves Roster

Lords

Dreadlord, 567 pts (General)
. . Black Dragon
. . Heavy Armour
. . Sea Dragon Cloak
. . Soulrender
. . Dragonhelm
. . Pendant of Khaeleth
. . Crown of Command

Hero

Sorceress, 180 pts
. . Level 2 Upgrade
. . Tome of Furion
. . Seal of Ghrond

Death Hag (Battle Standard Bearer), 225 pts
. . Cauldron of Blood

Core

30 Dark Elf Warriors, 235 pts
. . Full Command
. . Shield
. . Banner of Eternal Flame

20 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen, 235 pts
. . Musician; Standard
. . Shield

5 Dark Riders, 92 pts
. . Musician

5 Dark Riders, 92 pts
. . Musician

Special

21 Witch Elves of Khaine, 285 pts
. . Full Command
. . Hag with Manbane
. . Banner of Murder

12 Cold One Knights, 414 pts
. . Full Command
. . Dread Knight with The Other Trickster's Shard
. . Banner of Hag Graef

Rare

War Hydra, 175 pts

Total Roster Cost: 2500

Sorceress would take Lore of Shadow. Witch Elves would deploy 7x3. With the Banner of Murder they should be able to close with a multitude of different enemies. Anything too tough can be dealt with the Cold One Knights. Dragon causes mayhem everywhere. Dark Riders are just to interfere and maybe War Machine hunt.

I am a bit worried about only having a level 2 mage, but I hope to close with the enemy quickly in order to deal with the disadvantage.

Thought are appreciated.

Skaven-1989
17-04-2011, 22:16
Hey, Ive used dragons for wood elves, high elves and vampire counts but they were all back in 6th, i've played against an O+G Player using a wyvern, and i know a guy who uses a dragon with dark elves and it is an absolute nightmare to play against, repeatedly flying around your units and using its breathe weapon, causing terror, it'll flank you often in support of something else and my best hope has always been to killing blow the rider. Your list looks nasty, the dragon and hydra will cause a distraction from the wyches. I actually think this list is solid. I don't think your low magic will be a problem, with the new magic rules its harder to pound someone with magic and go magic heavy, at the same time i wouldn't expect to get many spells off. this would frighten me i won't lie lol

tmarichards
18-04-2011, 15:54
Dragons are massively dependent on your meta-game- anyone with cannons or templates weapons will remove either the rider, the dragon or both very quickly. You also need something to charge in with the dragon to take the challenge- at the moment, that dragon will charge in, kill the champion and end up on maybe 5 static res tops. 3 ranks and a banner will usually tie you for combat res, and you'll lose by musician. Put the level 2 on a horse if you must run a dragon, then she can charge in as well and take the challenge.

datalink7
18-04-2011, 16:29
Thanks for the comments. Good to hear that the dragon can be effective.

datalink7
18-04-2011, 17:10
Dragons are massively dependent on your meta-game- anyone with cannons or templates weapons will remove either the rider, the dragon or both very quickly. You also need something to charge in with the dragon to take the challenge- at the moment, that dragon will charge in, kill the champion and end up on maybe 5 static res tops. 3 ranks and a banner will usually tie you for combat res, and you'll lose by musician. Put the level 2 on a horse if you must run a dragon, then she can charge in as well and take the challenge.

Well, I have the crown of command which I hope will mitigate losing combat. Besides, can't you just refuse the challenge and still fight if you are the only model and have no where to "run" to?

You are right warmachines will be an issue. However, local players in my area usually only run a small amount besides one Empire player who runs 7 or so War machines.

tmarichards
18-04-2011, 17:52
Not quite, you can only decline a challenge if you have somewhere to run to. So, a dragon cannot decline.

datalink7
18-04-2011, 23:02
Not quite, you can only decline a challenge if you have somewhere to run to. So, a dragon cannot decline.

Alright, good to know.

But anyway, if I was going to charge a big block, it would be to pin them in place. So actually I wouldn't mind challenging and would probably do so myself. That way, I get no attacks back at myself and I'd hold most likely due to Crown of Command.

tmarichards
18-04-2011, 23:42
That's absolutely fine. Don't forget though, that a dreadlord on a dark peg could do the job just as well. However, I share the love for dragons (see my sig).

Also, the dragon will get to attack before the lord in a challenge, which actually gives you a better chance of doing wounds (6 WS6 S6 attacks).

datalink7
19-04-2011, 15:09
That's absolutely fine. Don't forget though, that a dreadlord on a dark peg could do the job just as well. However, I share the love for dragons (see my sig).

Also, the dragon will get to attack before the lord in a challenge, which actually gives you a better chance of doing wounds (6 WS6 S6 attacks).

You are probably right, a Dark Peg would be better. If nothing else because the Dark Peg cannot be shot out from under him like the Dragon.

However, it isn't nearly as cool of a center piece.:)

Violadudester
20-04-2011, 00:59
I like the list overall, especially your character selections. I would shave down the CoK unit to 8 and reinvest those points first into boosting you spearelves to 40 (horde formation), then the rest into the witches. I'd also split the repeater xbows into two units of 10, with musician each. I don't see the need for the standard of hag graef, perhaps the razor standard would a better choice to give your CoK more of a punch vs. heavily armored units.

datalink7
20-04-2011, 20:59
I like the list overall, especially your character selections. I would shave down the CoK unit to 8 and reinvest those points first into boosting you spearelves to 40 (horde formation), then the rest into the witches. I'd also split the repeater xbows into two units of 10, with musician each. I don't see the need for the standard of hag graef, perhaps the razor standard would a better choice to give your CoK more of a punch vs. heavily armored units.

Thanks for the comments. The idea with the banner is that they would be more reliable for sustained combats because of high initiative and ASF, they would get rerolls against most opponents. But if I did drop their size, I certainly would drop the banner too. And having more WE and spears would make them more threatening.

castellanash
20-04-2011, 21:07
I'd take the focus familiar on the sorceress... Just simply so she can stand behind a tree and still 'see' everything... makes 18" spells 24" too which is nice for Black Horror... Also Dark Magic is better than Shadows IMO... Just saying... Black Horror against low leadership horde armies? oh hell yeah...

Edit: Dark riders are also good with Crossbows...