PDA

View Full Version : 8th Edition Competitive Tomb Kings 3k

astorre
18-04-2011, 11:59
If the Hierophant cannot be the General then this list is null & void, but if he can then this is what I put together to win games in an all-comers environment....

Lords
Hierophant General - Lv4 Lore of Nehekhara, Book of Asur, Opal Amulet
High Liche Priest - Lv4 Lore of Light, Dispel Scroll

Heroes
Necrotect - Enchanted Shield, Dragonbane Gem

Core
40 Skeleton Archers - Musician, Standard Bearer
50 Skeleton Warriors - Musician, Standard Bearer
6 Skeleton Chariots - Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness

Special
40 Tomb Guard - Full Command, Halberds, Banner of the Eternal Flame
3 Necropolis Knights - Entombed Beneath the Sands
Tomb Scorpion
Tomb Scorpion
Warsphinx - Fiery Breath, Poison
Warsphinx - Fiery Breath, Poison

Rare
Casket of Souls

What are your thoughts?

GodlessM
18-04-2011, 12:06
Seems solid enough. I think you will eventually miss not having the WS from a King or Prince though. Also, no SSC?

One thing I'd do is ditch the Opal Amulet (that's MR right?) and take the Earthing Rod instead, as it seems he more important tha usual in your army.

I'm still struggling to get on board with the Knights considering how much they cost and how little they will seemingly do, especially when you have two Scorpions. I mean, you could get 2 SSCs for the cost of the Knights, and they would likely be more effective.

Asymmetric
18-04-2011, 12:23
I like it for the most part. A couple of points I would consider.

- Your investing a fair bit into magic without taking a heirotitan. They will add quite a boost.

- I'm a little worried about the lack of tomb princes/kings with so many infantry blocks. Horde Tomb guard are good, but at 3k I really feel they need a prince/king in the unit as well to go toe to toe with the enemies best blocks.

- I think chariots 2 seperate units of 3 chariots will generally perform better than 1 unit of 6.

Don't ask me where you would get the points for some of these things, thats up to you.

I'm still struggling to get on board with the Knights considering how much they cost and how little they will seemingly do, especially when you have two Scorpions. I mean, you could get 2 SSCs for the cost of the Knights, and they would likely be more effective.

Well they'll likely be going after different targets. The knights should really be fighting blocks in the rear/flanks while there engaged or atleast forcing them to reform and face the wrong way.

As people have pointed out, knights aren't bloodcrushers but if they can reliably appear directly behind the enemy lines and they don't need to be to do similar or more damage.

astorre
18-04-2011, 19:13
All good points! Yes, no SSC & I'm a little sad about it as I just bought 3. I just don't have the points for them. Same thing with the Hierotitan.
Godless, the Opal Amulet was 15pts for a 4++ against the first wound. I figure if he's in combat I've already lost, but the one time ward is good against a miscast or whatever. I take Earthing Rod on my Vampire Generals, so I may end up switching over to it anyways.
The Scorpions are for War Machine hunting. The Knights are to pop up behind or in the flanks. 3 of them is all I'll need if hitting a unit in the rear. And I can hold them off the table til when I need them. You know how some games come down to one combat in the middle or whatever? Well, now I got 3+ AS monsterous calvary w/ S5, poison, and killing blow to come in for the kill. And 210 points really isn't a huge investment for them. Not game breaking anyways. (Now the Tomb Guard came to 560, losing that unit would hurt....)
I also might end up having to put a King/Prince in somewhere. Here is my thought though.... At WS5 or 6 pretty much everything (WS3, the most common) is going to hit you on 4s anyways. They'll hit my Warriors on 3s, but thats why there is 50 of them. They are a tarpit, I'll run them 5x10 and if they are in a fight they got a good shot of winning then I'll make a combat reform to horde formation. With Light Magic, I got a good shot of making them WS10 and I10 anyways. So I just took a cheap Necrotect (70pts total) that has a 4+/2++ against flaming attacks. He just gives my Tomb Guard hatred, and if my Warsphinxes happen to be on the TG's flanks well they get a nice little Regen save as well.
I took the Chariots x6 instead of 2x3 to break ranks. Also for the same reason I took x40 Archers instead of 2x20, it helps me get more out of my buffs (and with the multiple shot spell that Archer unit will be dropping 60 shots onto something.) I'm hoping the Casket makes up for the lack of SSC, but we'll see.

**Edit** I also included the Book of Asur (+1 to casting and dispelling) on the Hierophant to make up for the lack of a Hierotitan. Not the best, but with all the good options TK now has I'm having trouble fitting everything I want into a 3000pt list! Storm of Magic, here I come haha...