PDA

View Full Version : Starting fantasy

TEMPLARDAWG
18-04-2011, 17:01
How many points do get in a battalion box? Is the Dark Elf box or the Scaven box worth getting? Thanks for the help.

RTGamer
18-04-2011, 17:09
Welcome to the fantasy.

Good solid battalion boxes there. The points in Battalion boxes are different. Check out this thread from a while ago that has run downs of each box:

Here Especially Post Number 19 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277474&highlight=Battalion)

Hope that helps.

BigRob
18-04-2011, 17:10
Hello,

All the battallion boxes are different point values, its more the "This much for slightly less than retail price". They are usually a good core start to the army (in the case of the Ogre Kingdoms box, they are the army) but there are only a few that it is worth buying multiples of.

Both those battalions are pretty good ones, it all depends on what kind of army you want. My advice is read the army books first, get an idea for how you want to go then go shopping :)

Jind_Singh
18-04-2011, 17:26
Dark Elves starter boxes were not as good in 7th ed, but in 8th the box has gained value! The Corsairs are great now!

The Skaven box is also crammed with great models (when I mean great I mean usable!).

So it comes down to:

1) Which models appeal the most visually? After all you'll be buying them, building them, and painting them!

2) Does any color scheme come to mind when your looking at a army?

3) Go to a local GW and spend about 2-3 hours there - pick up both books and read them from cover to cover. The Skaven book is a GREAT read - so you might just want to buy that book anyway as there are some funny stories in there!

4) Try to make a few army lists of each army at your 'ideal' army points size - see if the list allows you to build what you had in your mind!

Then you can decide which way to go! Either way both armies are great, personally I'm biased towards the Skaven because:

1) I play Orcs & Goblins so anyone who plays any kind of Elven army is a pansy!

2) I have an unbuilt Skaven army, on sprue, under my bed - awaiting my loving care to assemble! My project for 2012 - before the world ends!

D'Haran
18-04-2011, 17:59
Isle of Blood isn't a bad way to go either, for Skaven or HE's.